• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Baby Boids

Started by Frys Girl, November 28, 2008, 09:13:35 AM

Frys Girl

They are getting so big (that's what she said). Anyway here they are and I have the pics of when they were little pink featherless babies, but I think these are way cuter.

Very cool! Congrats, birds are great pets. ^.^

My first bird Petey was a cockatiel that looked somewhat like your two birds on the edges, except he was pure yellow and his cheek dots were like SUPER fucking red. Plus he seemed smaller somehow, which is weird because those birds are younger than he was when I last remember him, but then again I was like six or seven when I last saw him so I guess it may be a matter of perspective.

Have you ever tried lovebirds? I got one once when I was a tween or so and we just couldn't keep it. Even when we covered his cage he would sing and chirp endlessly. I think it was due to his lack of a partner, but my parents would only allow me one pet at a time, granted if at all. 

EvB

Awwwww - sweet birdies!

I do wish I were the bird type - I love them.  But I'm much too hyper. Dogs do it for me. 

Frys Girl

Thanks Pirate! Ok here's the thing about birds - THEY MUST have partners, unless you spend 24/7 with them. They get depression very badly. My dad bred them for 15 years when he lived in Iran.

Love birds are awesome, except they are not good pets. They love each other as in other birds, not humans. I don't really blame them.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these birds. I haven't started weaning them yet, and I feel bad selling them or giving them away. BUT My pair is mating again. They are bound to lay more eggs. I have to figure out a solution soon.
I think the person who invents safe birth control for rodents and birds will be very rich. But there are so many ethics issues involved here I don't know if i want to get into it!

Spikegirl

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 28, 2008, 07:01:00 PM
Thanks Pirate! Ok here's the thing about birds - THEY MUST have partners, unless you spend 24/7 with them. They get depression very badly. My dad bred them for 15 years when he lived in Iran.

Love birds are awesome, except they are not good pets. They love each other as in other birds, not humans. I don't really blame them.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these birds. I haven't started weaning them yet, and I feel bad selling them or giving them away. BUT My pair is mating again. They are bound to lay more eggs. I have to figure out a solution soon.
I think the person who invents safe birth control for rodents and birds will be very rich. But there are so many ethics issues involved here I don't know if i want to get into it!

I had 2 pet rats when I was in college-Sid and Nancy. I was assured by the nooryesque pet store clerk that they were both of the same sex when I originally purchased them. When I realized that they weren't, was when one of them became pregnant. I can't remember their original names, but I decided on Sid and Nancy once I realized that I had one of each sex.

Anyway, Nancy gave birth to 2 offspring. As fate would have it, a boy and a girl. I did not want to go through the same drama again and again and could not bear to kill any of them, so when Electra and Oedipus were a little bigger, I put Sid and Oedipus in one fish tank and Nancy and Electra in another. They were happy and I did not have litter upon litter with which to contend.

Frys Girl

cute story. i had a similar incident with some cousins who begged me for hamsters.... i thought i got gay hamsters. we actually thought they were just being homoerotic footballesque guys.

LOL @ you calling the clerk nooryesque.

BIG NEWS: this morning birdy numero uno, the eldest, starting getting air like michael jordan. they grow up so fast. thank god!

Spikegirl

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 29, 2008, 09:15:48 PM
cute story. i had a similar incident with some cousins who begged me for hamsters.... i thought i got gay hamsters. we actually thought they were just being homoerotic footballesque guys.

LOL @ you calling the clerk nooryesque.

BIG NEWS: this morning birdy numero uno, the eldest, starting getting air like michael jordan. they grow up so fast. thank god!

ha!

Sybil

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 28, 2008, 09:13:35 AM
They are getting so big (that's what she said). Anyway here they are and I have the pics of when they were little pink featherless babies, but I think these are way cuter.
OMG!! They are so cute!

I had Java Rice Finches when I lived in Hawaii. They reproduced a lot.

Frys Girl

You know the secret for bird babies? I have it figured out. It probably works with humans too. Henry Mancini's greatest hits (romance 1993). I play it looped.

Sybil

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 30, 2008, 09:33:21 AM
You know the secret for bird babies? I have it figured out. It probably works with humans too. Henry Mancini's greatest hits (romance 1993). I play it looped.

You're correct! They love music! Mine react in the same fashion.

Even the wild songbirds love it when I play music for them outside.

The ducks on the other hand,have sex when I squirt them with the water hose or turn the sprinkler on them. Every time. Without fail. LOL!

Frys Girl

I love ducks. seriously. One day I want to hug one. I've gotten close.

this spring at the smithsonian a bunch of duckling got caught in a water drain. children witnessed it. these are the reasons I don't believe in God.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052203754.html?hpid=moreheadlines