• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NHL Thread

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, September 23, 2015, 04:18:41 AM

Any other hockey fans out there?

I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan which means I'll probably completely lose interest in the NHL by December. But we're shaping up to have an incredible year. Such a huge influx of young stars and the game is changing rapidly. Personally I'm so excited for Connor McDavid. This kid is going to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. I haven't been this excited for a prospect since Ovechkin came into the league. He's already destroying pre-season games and he's already probably a top ten center in the world at 18-years old. Check out this video on him, it's mind blowing.

https://youtu.be/H8VgHw8A9rI

Art_s Farts

Huge hockey fan. I was a lifelong Hartford Whalers fan until they moved to Carolina. I have been a massive Columbus Blue Jacket fan since day 1 of their existence. I chose the Blue Jackets because my favorite Whalers, Geoff Sanderson and Kevin Dineen, were Jacket expansion draft picks and they also added former Whaler Andrew Cassels. I think this will be a great year for the Jackets if they stay healthy.

jazmunda

I once went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out.

Ba Dum Tish.

Flyers fan here only because my relatives in the US are from Philly. Only been to and actually even watched about 2 handful of games but I did enjoy them.

cweb

Sabres fan here. Cue the groans.

Eichel is going to be a beast. Some nice new acquisitions too. Hopefully Lehner is who Tim Murray thinks he is. Looking up!

Quote from: Art_s Farts on September 23, 2015, 05:55:56 AM
I chose the Blue Jackets because my favorite Whalers, Geoff Sanderson and Kevin Dineen, were Jacket expansion draft picks and they also added former Whaler Andrew Cassels.

Sanderson was one of my favorite Sabres when he was here. Fast skater, wicked shot, and I loved him using a metal-shaft stick. I watched a good chunk of the 'Nucks during the Naslund years and Cassels was a fav as well. To complete the trio, I share a birthday with Dineen...  8)

Art_s Farts

Quote from: cweb on September 23, 2015, 07:35:16 AM
Sabres fan here. Cue the groans.

Eichel is going to be a beast. Some nice new acquisitions too. Hopefully Lehner is who Tim Murray thinks he is. Looking up!

Sanderson was one of my favorite Sabres when he was here. Fast skater, wicked shot, and I loved him using a metal-shaft stick. I watched a good chunk of the 'Nucks during the Naslund years and Cassels was a fav as well. To complete the trio, I share a birthday with Dineen...  8)

The Sabres are in my top 5 teams as well. I always admired Lindy Ruff. Evander Kane will be great once maturity kicks in. Ryan O'Reilly was a nice acquisition as well.

Hockey is the best of the major sports to see live.

On TV it's just ok for most people.  It was horrible sometime back when one of the networks (Fox) superimposed a glowing puck onscreen so people could see it.  Bona fide fans know where the puck is even if they lose sight of it for a moment from the way the players are reacting

I'm sick to death of the Sharks, and their annual post-season belly-flop.  When they first started making the playoffs as a sort of expansion team in the 90s they overachieved in the playoffs.  My favorites of that era were Irbe in goal and the 2 former stars from the Soviet Red Army Olympic teams, Igor Larionov and Sergei Makarov

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 23, 2015, 08:49:52 AM

I'm sick to death of the Sharks, and their annual post-season belly-flop. 

Back in the spring 2004, after gagging a 3-1 series lead against Montreal, "Jumbo" Joe Thornton was perplexed why Bruins fans took the loss so badly. The former "franchise" player would play about 20 more games for Boston before getting shipped off to the Sharks for next to nothing. And would subsequently infect the Sharks with that attitude.

He's awesome in December vs Edmonton, but Thornton's career playoff numbers are historically underwhelming. He goes from a point a game guy in the regular season, to a point every other game come playoff time.

On TV it's just ok for most people.  It was horrible sometime back when one of the networks (Fox) superimposed a glowing puck onscreen so people could see it.  Bona fide fans know where the puck is even if they lose sight of it for a moment from the way the players are reacting

I'm sick to death of the Sharks, and their annual post-season belly-flop.  When they first started making the playoffs as a sort of expansion team in the 90s they overachieved in the playoffs.  My favorites of that era were Irbe in goal and the 2 former stars from the Soviet Red Army Olympic teams, Igor Larionov and Sergei Makarov

Ha, watching Irbe in his dirty pads on this crappy little expansion team fighting valiantly fighting off the Red Wings in 2002 is largely what made me a hockey fan. That and the Cloutier/Salo fight.  ;D

Yeah to me Peter DeBoer was a weird choice for coach for that team. That's a run and gun team yet they brought in a coach who will make them play such tight defensive game that it'll negate their strengths. It worked with Sutter for LA though, so what do I know?

I really really like the Sabres. I like Evander Kane although I question if he'll ever reach his potential. I'm also a huge fan of Lehner. They are so stacked up front now it's scary and they have one of the best goaltending prospect in the world in net. The question will be can that young defense not get burnt badly.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 23, 2015, 10:22:16 AM
    Back in the spring 2004, after gagging a 3-1 series lead against Montreal, "Jumbo" Joe Thornton was perplexed why Bruins fans took the loss so badly. The former "franchise" player would play about 20 more games for Boston before getting shipped off to the Sharks for next to nothing. And would subsequently infect the Sharks with that attitude.

He's awesome in December vs Edmonton, but Thornton's career playoff numbers are historically underwhelming. He goes from a point a game guy in the regular season, to a point every other game come playoff time.

Each year after another 'unexpected' early exit from the playoffs, Sharks management has blamed various coaches and players and gotten rid of them - only for it to happen again the following year. 

They finally figured it out and desperately wanted to get rid of him and Marleau this offseason, "nope, sorry, we have no trade clauses in our contracts and we aren't going anywhere".

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 23, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
Each year after another 'unexpected' early exit from the playoffs, Sharks management has blamed various coaches and players and gotten rid of them - only for it to happen again the following year. 

They finally figured it out and desperately wanted to get rid of him and Marleau this offseason, "nope, sorry, we have no trade clauses in our contracts and we aren't going anywhere".

You wouldn't believe the interest for the Sharks in Boston when the playoffs begin. The morbid fascination/schadenfreude with Chokin' Joe. He and Marleau, overall picks 1 and 2 in '97, will never win a damn thing beyond personal awards. The captaincy stripping last year was finally a rebuke of some sort.

I imagine the tension that locker room ought to be enjoyable. With Jumbo Joe having a reportedly "moody" personality.

It'll be real interesting to see what McLellan does with Edmonton this year.

=Schlyder=

Go Senators.    double win over the Sabres tonight.  5-2 in regulation.. and a quick goal in the 3 on 3 OT exhibition.
:D

akwilly

this Patrick Kane story is getting weird

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 23, 2015, 02:34:53 PM
I imagine the tension that locker room ought to be enjoyable. With Jumbo Joe having a reportedly "moody" personality.

I think Thornton's mood ranges from "I don't care" to "I really don't care".

popple

Quote from: akwilly on September 23, 2015, 08:25:30 PM
this Patrick Kane story is getting weird

I just watched the lawyer video and YIKES!

inuk2600

Quote from: Art_s Farts on September 23, 2015, 08:36:07 AM
The Sabres are in my top 5 teams as well. I always admired Lindy Ruff. Evander Kane will be great once maturity kicks in. Ryan O'Reilly was a nice acquisition as well.

Evander Kane has the talent but like you say maturity as well as teamwork and ego will need to improve if he's going to succeed in Buffalo. I can't wait to see him face his former Winnipeg team mates  :o

The website for the Russia-based Kontinental Hockey League, 28 teams, 7 countries -

http://en.khl.ru/

The trip back to Khabarovsk after a tough loss to Cherepovets must be brutal.  On the other hand:  cool hockey cards

Quote from: inuk2600 on September 23, 2015, 09:21:47 PM
Evander Kane has the talent but like you say maturity as well as teamwork and ego will need to improve if he's going to succeed in Buffalo. I can't wait to see him face his former Winnipeg team mates  :o

Two goals tonight in the pre-season game against Ottawa and looked like the only Sabres' player who was dangerous. I'm such a believer in that kid. If he was consistent and could stay healthy, he'd easily be a top power forward in the league.

cweb

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2015, 12:04:22 AM
Two goals tonight in the pre-season game against Ottawa and looked like the only Sabres' player who was dangerous. I'm such a believer in that kid. If he was consistent and could stay healthy, he'd easily be a top power forward in the league.
I remember watching video of him when he was drafted. My thoughts were "damn, Atlanta really got a good player here." It's exciting how loaded the Sabres might be right now, assuming everything falls into place....

albrecht

I agree and minor league and college hockey is a blast also live. I like it on tv also (excepting the Fox glowing puck era) and even on radio (hardest working radio announcers ever. I like BB on radio because the sport lends itself to it but hockey I can't understand how they can do. Those announcers are second only to the likes of Steve Quayle and Alex Jones in terms of being able to keep talking without taking a breath. And they also need to pronounce odd Finnish, Russian, or French-Canadian names on the fly!)

ShayP

I love hockey!  8)

Lifelong Penguins fan here.  That being said...don't for once think I'm a huge Crosby fan.  ;)   I'm not like most yinzers who worship him.  He's great but I do have my criticism.

Anyhoo....McDavid at #1 and Eichel at #2 reminds me of the draft where Lecavalier and Legwand fit the bill (1998).  Out of the two previously mentioned, I think Eichel is a stud.  Well...both are.  My gut tells me Eichel will surpass McDavid even though both will be good players in their own right.

Cheers!  :)

Eichel is so sick. I have the number one overall pick this year in my keeper league after my team just somehow magically came in last (  ;D ) and Eichel being so awesome this pre-season is giving me some Kevin Lowe'esque worry. Eichel is already a better goal scorer, has a better shot and he has the benefit of being genetically superior to McDavid by being an American. I'm still going MacD because it would be stupid not too but I can easily see Eichel being the better player in the short-term.

Guys, anyone down to start a fantasy league on here? We have so many hockey fans, it could be awesome. We're all just killing time between Falkie posts anyway.  ;D

We could do a rotisserie league if you folks just want a laid back fun secondary league.

ksm32

Quote from: popple on September 23, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
GO CANUCKS GO!!!  ;D

Good luck with that.  Keeping miller, and getting rid of Eddie Lack???  And as usual the Nucks will walk into the playoffs.. and the sisters (Sedins) will fall flat.

That team is cursed.  The BC Lions have a better chance of winning the Stanley than do the Canucks.  Sorry, I'm a disappointed optimist.

Jim Benning is the George Noory of NHL General Mangers. This idiot is a disaster. Now in the last pre-season game, Brandon Sutter is being played on the wing with the Sedins because he's been outplayed by everyone else but he was promised a top six role while signing probably the dumbest contract in the league. Boo this idiot. BOOOOOOOOOOO.

We went from having one of the brightest most progressive general managers in Mike Gillis to good ol' Meat and Potatoes 70 cents on the dollar Jim Benning.

popple

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 03, 2015, 04:26:41 PM
Jim Benning is the George Noory of NHL General Mangers. This idiot is a disaster.

Does Benning have aspergers?