• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

sydtron

I really hope Art has Neil back.  I hope Neil was as thrilled to be there as I was hearing him. 
Mothafukkin SCIENCE!!

michio

Kudos to producer Heather for her pulling of strings, Neil for his time and sharing of knowledge as guest, and to Art for his exceptional hosting talent. It was a beautiful thing.

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on October 30, 2015, 01:04:31 AM
Good thing you weren't my science teacher  ;)
OK. I'll bump it up to 4. But hey, that is out of 5.

Scorch

Quote from: popple on October 30, 2015, 01:07:19 AM
No shortage of classics in the MITD era!  ;D

I'm so glad I've got MV and this community to share this with.  I agree!

Yes even you Jaz! :p

Uncle Duke

Dick the AAA from West Hartford didn't call in? 

VtaGeezer

As usual, BG is a tough crowd; even for the likes of NDT. For three hours of free-form discussion between two people who didn't know each other beforehand, I thought it was a great show.  It was best when they focused on cosmology and astronomy, the quasi-religious and political were clumsy. I'm sticking to my 4/5 score and as these two guy hopefully get to know each other with future shows, it'll move to 5/5. 

All is relative.  While Art talked cosmology with pointed questions to NDT, Noory had his veterinarian "Doctor" pal on for his monthly quackery session.

K_Dubb

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:44:28 PM
holy crap this dude is scary looking

Seriously, what is up with his face?  Aside from the color, I mean -- recent tanning bed, maybe.  If you cover the bottom half, he's kind of normal.  And if you cover the top half, it's ok, though that smile is hardly reassuring.  I can't tell if the skin is too tight, i. e. surgery, or too droopy cuz he's old.  But the two halves together are astonishing.  Leave the the teeth aside; those can't be helped.

This is a serious question.

ziznak

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 30, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
Seriously, what is up with his face?  Aside from the color, I mean -- recent tanning bed, maybe.  If you cover the bottom half, he's kind of normal.  And if you cover the top half, it's ok, though that smile is hardly reassuring.  I can't tell if the skin is too tight, i. e. surgery, or too droopy cuz he's old.  But the two halves together are astonishing.  Leave the the teeth aside; those can't be helped.

he's a freaking crystal whoring fruit-cake!!  Although I noticed he did drop actual names the last time I heard him.

Neil was great a show and I hope he's back 1000 times

AppealPlay

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 30, 2015, 11:17:21 AM

Why do we continue to pretend that Greer isn't a reptilian shapeshifter?

ZomZom

Quote from: Scorch on October 30, 2015, 12:44:08 AM
I heard a joke years ago that the only people who like ABBA are gay men and Art Bell fans.  Always thought thst was funny, and telling.
I'm in the middle of that Venn diagram and am an ABBA fan.

Not such a fan of NGT, though.  Like most scientists he's a smug statist who expects taxpayers to fund the world he wants.  I enjoyed the first hour, which did focus on science, but hour two sidetracked into public policy and how great NGT is for popularizing science.  The calls in hour three were meh.

In the broader context I recognize that NGT is a brilliant astrophysicist and I appreciate that he is bringing something I value, science, to the masses, but the PC guard's fawning over him, his barely-concealed glee at being handed Sagan's baton, plus his conventional advocacy, pretty much ruin him for me.  I know this is exceedingly glass-half-empty (or worse), but that's how I react to him.

coaster

I'll take NDT over some redneck "witch" any day of the week.

The General

Anybody else having glitches in their podcast for this show?
Random out of place audio snippets are interrupting the show for a few seconds at a time.
Maybe it's just my device or my connection.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: The General on October 30, 2015, 01:58:23 PM
Anybody else having glitches in their podcast for this show?
Random out of place audio snippets are interrupting the show for a few seconds at a time.
Maybe it's just my device or my connection.

What if your device or your connection are just fine?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:44:28 PM
holy crap this dude is scary looking

you know how some people start looking like what they hang out with?

K_Dubb

Science, at least in its modern, empirical, non-mystical, divorced-from-religion pose, is a pretty modern thing.  I like to picture people like Tyson and Kaku as they would have looked a couple thousand years ago:  stargazers who, when they turn their attention earthward, can tell us a lot about our place in the universe.  Now they're priests of a brash new cult, shouldering its way in among others with pedigrees going back centuries, busy trying to make converts through proselytizing and education just like their forbears.  We'll see if this one turns out any different.

zmbabwe

Quote from: Zzzzillion on October 30, 2015, 12:57:48 AM
That show stunk.

By the way ... anyone know how to avoid repeatedly seeing this:

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

when trying to post?

It took me way too long to figure this out.

Go to Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout and check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting"

It's really buried.

Ciardelo

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 30, 2015, 07:24:30 PM
It took me way too long to figure this out.

Go to Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout and check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting"

It's really buried.
THANK you!

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 30, 2015, 02:14:08 PM
Science, at least in its modern, empirical, non-mystical, divorced-from-religion pose, is a pretty modern thing.  I like to picture people like Tyson and Kaku as they would have looked a couple thousand years ago:

https://youtu.be/u5KKcBQen-Y

Auslandia

The thing I don't like about NDT is because he's a bit too scientific.  That's probably a pretty fucking retarded thing to say but while experimental results are really important, it takes a little bit of speculative imagination to steer said experimentation into uncharted directions.  I'm not saying he needs to turn into RCH but maybe he could be a little less dismissive of things. Take UFOs for example.  He says there's no evidence.  I just can't agree there.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Auslandia on November 01, 2015, 08:26:47 AM
The thing I don't like about NDT is because he's a bit too scientific.  That's probably a pretty fucking retarded thing to say but while experimental results are really important, it takes a little bit of speculative imagination to steer said experimentation into uncharted directions.  I'm not saying he needs to turn into RCH but maybe he could be a little less dismissive of things. Take UFOs for example.  He says there's no evidence.  I just can't agree there.

Perhaps you know something I don't, but most of the 'evidence' is anecdotal and pretty unreliable. You can't base much of a theory on what a few people claim to have seen, and the so-called 'trace evidence' is pretty sketchy as well. We hear all this stuff about some fancy material from Roswell, but no-one has actually found any. And all of Bob Lazar's stuff is entertaining but totally uncorroborated. I can't think of a single case where the evidence is actually indubitable. I don't think there is anything wrong with being hard-headed and saying that the actual real world validity of the UFO hypothesis is thin and doesn't amount to much more than wishful thinking. Personally, I tend to think that there is something behind all of this, but it may well involve ideas that we are too primitive to understand, and the idea of spaceships from another world is just the sort of thing that would appeal to our primitive brains. It may well be far more complicated than that, but we are not sufficiently advanced to comprehend what it means.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Auslandia on November 01, 2015, 08:26:47 AM
The day NDT hypothesizes on alien visitation is the day he abandons objectivity and becomes "the physicist who believes in little green men".  That'll really be a career boost with peers.  When someone comes up with physical evidence, then and only then should the scientific community  investigate and raise hypotheses.   For now, there's much better evidence for the Tooth Fairy than UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, and just about everything paranormal.  The grays and Bigfoot should leave a quarter behind when there's an encounter.

henge0stone

Finally got around to listening to this one. Maybe one of the best. Love Space and science topics. Neil had great answers to all the questions. I particularity liked when Neil mentioned Venus and Mars maybe having dead ancient civ. There really is no way to know unless we have a better space program. Pompeii was a great example of a lost city on our own earth.

chefist