• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

norland2424

Quote from: Zenman on October 29, 2015, 11:59:22 PM
I think the call ins are gonna be interesting. I predict 2+ Gabbers get thru.

im hoping for JC ;D

zmbabwe

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 11:58:27 PM
Bingo.

I mean a neurosurgeon who doesn't know anything about politics thinks he is qualified to be president for crying out loud. I really thought Tyson was going to be a better guest. Hopefully the callers get him back on track because this hasn't been as good as I hoped it would be.

YES!  Flat earth callers!

Quote from: Zenman on October 29, 2015, 11:59:22 PM
I think the call-ins are gonna be interesting. I predict 2+ Gabbers get thru.

The comments, on Art Bell's site, were invaded by flat Earthers. I really hope one of them gets through.

JamesMcDonald

Bingo.

I mean a neurosurgeon who doesn't know anything about politics thinks he is qualified to be president for crying out loud. I really thought Tyson was going to be a better guest. Hopefully the callers get him back on track because this hasn't been as good as I hoped it would be.

Like I said way back at the beginning, pop science.  Not saying he isn't smart, because he is, but there are hundreds if not thousands of other scientists in this world who are just as smart if not smarter.  And Bill Nye.  Same deal.

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 30, 2015, 12:00:22 AM
The comments, on Art Bell's site, were invaded by flat Earthers. I really hope one of them gets through.

flat earthers are the scum of the earth...

Bradsmith313

No Poll tonight?

I'm really enjoying the show. It's refreshing and positive. We need to get our focus on excelling in STEM and need to catch up with the rest of the world. This is the stuff that really matters . . . .

trostol

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on October 30, 2015, 12:01:10 AM
No Poll tonight?

I'm really enjoying the show. It's refreshing and positive. We need to get our focus on excelling in STEM and need to catch up with the rest of the world. This is the stuff that really matters . . . .

been one of the best shows IMO..some people are never satisfied though lol

zmbabwe

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 30, 2015, 12:00:22 AM
Wow! That's great!

gx2music

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:56:58 PM
It's the old ruse of glossing over personal opinion with a veneer of 'science'. I have a degree in physics therefore you're supposed to accept that my opinions on religion and politics have more merit than yours. Works as long as the audience hasn't heard of epistemology.

Agree.  Tyson has a leftist arrogance that is annoying... But hey - it's Tyson.  And he's on Arts show.  I'm ok with that.   

I was getting worried about the show when that fake witch was on.  Now we're back on form , taking the ride.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: trostol on October 30, 2015, 12:01:49 AM

Satisfaction is for the vulgar.

Quote from: Zzzzillion on October 29, 2015, 11:52:52 PM
Notfernothin', and I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I find Tyson to be an incredible colossal bore. Open up the phones already.

Kaku inspires wonder, NDT not so much.

Neil hung up because he is afraid of the flat Earthers!

Quote from: WOTR on October 29, 2015, 11:45:49 PM
That's it.  Politics first... And now mixing it with religion is just too much.  Science is going to write the moral laws now?

"Is" does not imply "ought". Science is observation and measurement, not moral prescription. Once someone starts doing that they are playing in the field of ethics and religion and their natural science credentials are irrelevant.

What did he say tonight that blew your mind or inspired wonder?

trostol

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 30, 2015, 12:02:26 AM
Satisfaction is for the vulgar.

Art has stacks of callers..RCH mentioned lulls in callers last night lol

Weirdoradio

Finally.

THIS IS THE MOMENT WHERE THE SHOW TURNS LEGIT SPOOKY

GravitySucks

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 11:57:06 PM
Cool! Thanks...

Here are the ones I go exploring to:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/titan2.html

There is a partially excavated one too that is fascinating! The LCC is an exposed dome of 3 inch thick metal surrounding 6 feet of reinforced concrete...It is owned by the county and they are using the fill for roads...LOL...the fill used to bury the sites were very specific in composition...and very useful when reclaimed...
Two Titans were destroyed by accidents in their silos when I was in SAC. One in 1978 in Arkansas and one in Kansas in 1980. Since we only had 54 of them, it was a big dent in the Titan fleet.

Bradsmith313

I know. Oh well.

Barfly

Bingo.

They all get forced into giving opinions on politics and religion, once they give a opinion to the first interviewer it seems every other show they are on asks them the same shit.
They are stuck answering over and over.

norland2424

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 30, 2015, 12:01:36 AM
LOL!  I like you norland.  You make me laugh a lot dude.   :)

lol thanks you tasty Canadian  ;D

michio

You people who believe in a higher power and pray. Now that Neil is mysteriously disconnected....GET TO IT!   :)

trostol

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 30, 2015, 12:03:24 AM
What did he say tonight that blew your mind?

did i say blew my mind..no...he has been entertaining..some people came into this show pre-biased towards the man..some people want only paranormal boogie man stuff...i dunno..