• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I saw a "kid" at the gas station today - he was into "alternative media."

Started by Mr. Fidget, July 11, 2014, 12:28:26 AM

Mr. Fidget

Today I went into a gas station to buy a drink, and there was a kid reading the newspaper inside. On my way out I joked "They won't print anything in there they don't want you to know."
   He said "I know, I have a lot of alternative news sources." I asked "Really, what sources are your alternative?" He said "KFI 640, Alex Jones, and Rush."

What are your alternative sources?

mf
ps. true story

b_dubb

BBC News. The Economist. NYTime. PBS

Alternative to what? Faux News?

Foodlion

North

East

West

South

I get my news from any place but MSNBC Yuck!

Fox news has some shitty reporting too. Tired of the whole "Patriotic" theme they run on all day long. They need to ditch the Irishman and get in somebody new. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 11, 2014, 09:51:17 AM
The voices inside my head.  They never lie and they're always right.

I make a point of listening to the voices in your head too. Never let me down yet.

If I want an unbiased and objective view of the world, I digest what Qunt Karl says..And sometimes Rutger..They believe what they think and that's good enough for me.

Eddie Coyle

My source for news are my sister's Soap Opera Digests from 2006. And an US Weekly I took from a doctor's office by accident in 2009. And using my memory to recall some vintage "A Current Affair" episodes from 1988.

That covers it.

Great to have you back in the fold, Eddie!

I read (past tense) semi-regularly the American Free Press when my ex-father-in-law gave me a subscription back around 2000. I routinely go online to Balloon a Juice, Little Green Footballs, and Dispatches From the Culture Wars.  NPR is pretty MSM these days.  Democracy Now on the radio along with the BBC I hear often.  I roll over to the AM dial now and again to hear Dennis Miller and whatever rightwing voices are pontificating pugilistically at present.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2014, 10:10:47 AM
I make a point of listening to the voices in your head too. Never let me down yet.

I don't mind you hanging out in my head, Yorkie, but how come you never seem to hear the voices when they politely ask you to chip in for groceries or clean the bathroom once in awhile?

albrecht

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 11, 2014, 11:05:28 AM
"pontificating pugilistically at present."
Nice alliteration!
Bellgab, Drudge Report, BBC, The Telegraph, Infowars, ENEnews

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 11, 2014, 11:06:07 AM
I don't mind you hanging out in my head, Yorkie, but how come you never seem to hear the voices when they politely ask you to chip in for groceries or clean the bathroom once in awhile?

Cos I'm freeloading those synpsis and cere...cherryb...cerbbbry....cortex thing. I hate your bathroom too...how you decided on avocado green only you and your therapist can answer.

Quote from: albrecht on July 11, 2014, 11:13:16 AM
Nice alliteration!

Thank you.  MV told me he pays extra for that but I have not seen a single red cent from that bastard since I started posting here!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2014, 11:19:49 AM

Cos I'm freeloading those synpsis and cere...cherryb...cerbbbry....cortex thing. I hate your bathroom too...how you decided on avocado green only you and your therapist can answer.

Is that why you seem to have so much trouble hitting the bowl?  I just figured you were marking your territory. And avocado green was my late sainted mother's favorite color.  How dare you insult her, sir!  And if you don't believe me, I can show you her apartment.  I've kept it perfectly preserved the way she left it just like Jimmy Savile did with his mum's flat.  Nothing strange or unusual about that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 11, 2014, 11:35:29 AM
Youtube and the brilliant comment section of Yahoo! News

Is that why you top up your world knowledge by calling Gabcast? I can see why.  :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 11, 2014, 11:40:24 AM
Is that why you seem to have so much trouble hitting the bowl?  I just figured you were marking your territory. And avocado green was my late sainted mother's favorite color.  How dare you insult her, sir!  And if you don't believe me, I can show you her apartment.  I've kept it perfectly preserved the way she left it just like Jimmy Savile did with his mum's flat.  Nothing strange or unusual about that.

I'm not keen on the dead animals you keep in the bath. I can see you're after a more rustic and 'Road kill museum' vibe, but the flies and smell is getting a bit much.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2014, 11:45:42 AM

I'm not keen on the dead animals you keep in the bath. I can see you're after a more rustic and 'Road kill museum' vibe, but the flies and smell is getting a bit much.

Now we're back to the issue of groceries.  If you'd just contribute your fair share, I wouldn't be forced to scrounge for road kill.  And you know I always strive to find the freshest available. We've been through all that. I work my fingers to the bone to put nutritious meals on the table and that's the thanks I get. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2014, 11:43:41 AM
Is that why you top up your world knowledge by calling Gabcast? I can see why.  :)

Why yes, of course! Gabcast is an integral part of my information gathering. It's made me the informed, self-confident woman I am today.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 11, 2014, 11:51:08 AM
Now we're back to the issue of groceries.  If you'd just contribute your fair share, I wouldn't be forced to scrounge for road kill.  And you know I always strive to find the freshest available. We've been through all that. I work my fingers to the bone to put nutritious meals on the table and that's the thanks I get.

Well, I guess then that's the writing on the wall; I'll pack my bags and phone charger and leave your mind. I'll miss the news updates and the crossword puzzle, but the time has come to find alternative news gathering sources.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 11, 2014, 11:57:47 AM
Why yes, of course! Gabcast is an integral part of my information gathering. It's made me the informed, self-confident woman I am today.

Oh jeeze, I hope Eddie, Jaz, Onan and B Dubb don't read this; they'll start thinking they're relevant to world knowledge...then we really are screwed.

McPhallus

Mr. Fidget

I left out some key facts about the "kid." He was 20 something... with dreads, and tattoos... wearing rasta gear.
   I would not expect him to be "KFI" material, nor a "Rush" devotee. Alex Jones... I might have guessed.
   These sources are "alternates," but I would hardly call them "alternative." They are all behoven to the advertisers that fund their endeavors.
   As with any "source" that has the "pay to play" motif, these organizations have a bottom line, and an "in group" which they must tiptoe around in their coverage.

I wish the "kid" luck in developing the insight to see through the "mainstream news" he thinks is "alternative."

mf 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2014, 11:59:23 AM
Well, I guess then that's the writing on the wall; I'll pack my bags and phone charger and leave your mind. I'll miss the news updates and the crossword puzzle

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackstar has a vacancy.  However, I hear he tends to get a bit stabby when people (not to mention any names, of course) mark up his crossword puzzle before he has a chance to work it, so be careful.

ON a serious note:

After having a paper accepted into their private library, I subscribed to Electric Spacecraft Journal.

Then they folded.

Not the good Spacing Guild folding manner, either. : (

Was my small contribution the "Grim Reaper Tipping Point"?

They are missed, even if Agent : Orange believes the greater mysteries left to discover lie in understanding the strong nuclear and weak nuclear forces (he's probably right, btw) rather than electricity. This does not mean I would hesitate ONE SECOND in using the old "shocking cigarette lighter" prank on AO. Perhaps all the more reason to do so.

OFF a serious note:

I still have CBR News, which is limited only by what flavor of Cereal Box Reading is encountered at breakfast.

Notice my judicious application of eye censorship to cover my ~Dirty Deeds~.

[attachimg=1]

Jackstar

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on July 11, 2014, 12:28:26 AM
He said "KFI 640, Alex Jones, and Rush."

ps. true story

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL.
WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL.
WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL.