• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 13, 2015, 04:24:38 PM
So dark is the night in midwinter's-time
But see the approaching Lucia!
She comes, the good one, with all the lights here.
She comes with greetings of Christmas peace.
She comes with lights in her crown.

In the dark night of midwinter-time
We welcome you, friend Lucia.
We welcome you, good one, with all the lights here,
We welcome your greetings of Christmas peace,
We welcome the lights in your crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfW4LTCCdO8

God Luciadagen til alle sammen.

So beautiful. I can almost see ancient celebrations of the wheel of darkness now balanced for the return of the light. The song and the pagentry of it with the candlelight gave me chills.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 13, 2015, 06:56:16 PM
So beautiful. I can almost see ancient celebrations of the wheel of darkness now balanced for the return of the light. The song and the pagentry of it with the candlelight gave me chills.

Yeah it's tempting to see echoes of pre-Christian solstice celebrations grafted onto a saint's day.  The observance in Sweden dates at least to the 18th century, well before romantic nationalism with all its invented rituals, so maybe it's true.

As a gently secular holiday with deep roots and near-universal sentiments I hope it spreads beyond Scandinavia.

Quote from: pyewacket on December 13, 2015, 04:08:55 PM
Winter holidays in Russia! Коляда! (Kolyada)

That's interesting. I learned something new today, thank you.

pyewacket

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 13, 2015, 06:50:44 PM
Love the Murphys!  ;D I'll save the Real MacKenzies Auld Lang Syne reply for New Year's Eve.  ;)

This is my favorite time of the year because choirs come into their own, unless you're Welsh and then choirs are in the blood, heh heh.

My two favorites, one stately, one merry.

Thank you, UC- absolutely beautiful!

New Year's will be fun to share, too.  :)

Uncle Duke

Back in the mid 90s, about the time all the "Christmas v. Holiday Party" silliness started, I was working in an organization where the division chief (wing commander/0-6 equivilant for you active duty military types) was known to be a strictly by-the-book, never rock the boat kinda guy.  The Monday after Thanksgiving, the boss put out a "do's and don'ts" guide for the upcoming organizational shindig that went out to all hands via e-mail and was posted on the various bulletin boards around the facility.  Bottom line was a totally secular winter holiday luncheon, long on reindeer, snowmen, Santa, and virgin eggnog.  A number of us were not amused.

By sheer coincidence, the party music stuckee was the boss' secretary, a stunning, late-30 something dishwater blonde on the road to her fourth divorce.  She wasn't the sharpest kinife in the drawer, nor was she usually in the best of moods.  She had a multi-disc CD player she donated for the cause, but asked for the loan of CDs to play during the party.  Her e-mail reminded us any music to be played had to be non-religious, with such seasonal favorites as  "Jingle Bells" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" offered as examples.  The next day we held our first planning session for our contribution to the party.  The same afternoon I volunteered to be on the party committee, agreeing to be part of the set up/clean up crew.  We now had a man on the inside.

The plan was pretty straight forward, create a diversion to allow one of us to swap out a CD in the changer queue.  At my suggestion, the food had been set up buffet style on a series of long tables with lines having formed on both sides of the tables. This effectively blocked the view somewhat of those looking toward the area at the front of the huge conference room where the CD player and podium/microphone were set up.  With the feeding frenzy in full force, one of small intrepid group headed toward the CD player, palmed CD at the ready.  On cue, another of our group dropped a large tray of food on the non-CD player side of the food tables.  By the time the excitement was over and all the food picked up, our accomplice was back among us and firmly ensconced in the dessert area in the food line.  Now all we had to do was wait.

Unbeknownst to us, the CD player had some type of "random play" feature that had been engaged.  As it turned out this actually aided our casue as we were just as surprised as everyone else when some twenty minutes later, and immediately following the fading dulcet tones of Burl Ives' "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer", a resounding "GOOD GOD...MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL...GOOD GOD" was heard by a stunned gathering.  Yes, it was none other than the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, singing the opening bars of a song from his Christmas album.  I think it was "Christmas in the Ghetto". 

The boss immediately sent his secretary over to change the CD, but at least a minute or more of the song played before it was replaced with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".  Lots of talk about the musical interlude, but as the party was close of business on the Friday preceeding Christmas week, by the time the bulk of the unit got back in early Jan, it was pretty much forgotten. 

POST SCRIPT--The following summer the boss' secretary decided to head west to start a new life after her latest divorce.  We had the standard going away luncheon for her, then before she left she walked around the facility to say her final goodbyes.  I politely stood when she came into my office, but much to my surprise she walked over and gave me an energetic hug.  At that point she whispered into my ear, "Duke, you are one crazy motherfucker.  It's in a folder in the bottom drawer of your file cabinet."  Two days later, I found it.......the unmarked bootleg copy of the "James Brown Christmas Album".

pyewacket

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 13, 2015, 07:10:49 PM
That's interesting. I learned something new today, thank you.

You are so welcome, Mind FM!  :)

Uncle Duke, you rock. I hope you and yours have a very Happy Christmas.

pyewacket

Great story, Uncle Duke- Merry Christmas!  ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on December 13, 2015, 04:54:54 PM
Thank you, K_Dubb! It's been ages since I've heard this song. I'm so happy people are keeping these old traditions alive.

Most welcome, I dearly wish my Scandy was good enough to give you an adequate translation of that version (one of several texts set to that music) of the second song they're singing cuz it packs a metaphysical wallop.  Here's a poor effort:

Sankta Lucia, shining mirage,
Spread in our winter's night the splendor of your beauty.
Dreams with "vingesus" (an untranslatable word meaning the noise made by the beating of wings) prophesy unto us,
Shine your white light, Sankta Lucia.

Come in your white robes, bless us with your call.
Grant us, you bride of Yule, the idea of Yule-joy.
Dreams with vingesus etc.

Troll-magic (literally!) and dark power are subjugated by your light;
Use your sacred flames to guard and protect us.

May the stars that guide us, by which we find our way,
Be your shining beacons, beautiful priestess.

Ciardelo

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 03:22:37 AM
Most welcome, I dearly wish my Scandy was good enough to give you an adequate translation of that version (one of several texts set to that music) of the second song they're singing cuz it packs a metaphysical wallop.  Here's a poor effort:

Dreams with "vingesus" (an untranslatable word meaning the noise made by the beating of wings) prophesy unto us,

Nice! Thank you.

Albemuth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5GtaTrPHM

“Where is Rudolf, where is Blitzen baby…?”

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 03:22:37 AM

Thank you K_Dubb! Nice to see the magical references from the Pagan roots. I remember reading the book, April Snow by Lillian Budd when I was child. It was all about a woman and her family living in Sweden in the late 1800s. The Sankta Lucia song made me think of this book because of the chapter describing the eldest daughter cast in the role. Now I want to reread the book.  :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10394239-april-snow

And here are some acornaments for zeebo!

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on December 14, 2015, 01:39:35 PM
Thank you K_Dubb! Nice to see the magical references from the Pagan roots. I remember reading the book, April Snow by Lillian Budd when I was child. It was all about a woman and her family living in Sweden in the late 1800s. The Sankta Lucia song made me think of this book because of the chapter describing the eldest daughter cast in the role. Now I want to reread the book.  :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10394239-april-snow

Thanks, just ordered it!  The Scandy languages are pretty spare and word-poor compared to English with its huge borrowings from French but occasionally you get some startlingly sharp images in their poetry.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 01:57:44 PM
Thanks, just ordered it!  The Scandy languages are pretty spare and word-poor compared to English with its huge borrowings from French but occasionally you get some startlingly sharp images in their poetry.

You're Welcome! I think it's a trilogy. The following books are Land of Strangers and April Harvest. I haven't read them and might have to see if I can find copies.  :)

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 12:44:56 PM
I love that one!  Like a Christmas card from midcentury America.  This is nearly as good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEOIkL-lyGg

Yes, that's a fun song to hang ornaments by.  Thanks.  I so wish that you were my next door neighbor, K.  I could stroll over and we could fire up our pipes.  Later on I could sample some of your latest, freshly baked delicacies.  Yum!   

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 14, 2015, 04:01:52 PM
Yes, that's a fun song to hang ornaments by.  Thanks.  I so wish that you were my next door neighbor, K.  I could stroll over and we could fire up our pipes.  Later on I could sample some of your latest, freshly baked delicacies.  Yum!

Now that's a lovely thought, Rix.  For now it's julekake with butter and gjetost just like grandma had, washed down with black coffee and Dunhill's Elizabethan mixture.

Here's another favorite of mine, strangely from some foreign (Vietnamese?) website:
http://m.nhacso.net/nghe-nhac/bossa-nova-noel.VllTWkVZ.html

Snow falling down on the city,
Everything looking so pretty.
This time of year you're sure to hear
Bossa nova noel

and the kicker at the end:

And when he comes I'll be with him
Dancing that greatest of rhythms.
You're gonna see Santa and me
Doing bossa nova noel.

Here's a version sung by a choir from some region back east where they put rs where they don't belong -- Bosser Nover Noel indeed hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj05xEGVVB8

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 04:17:20 PM

So have you started on your lefse yet or waiting closer to the time? A neighbor lady just spent 2 days making a bunch of it for folks. Some for a Christmas party, some for freezing, and other distributed around to people. Also some others made some tasty krumkake and kransekake but no lutefisk; yet.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 04:17:20 PM
Now that's a lovely thought, Rix.  For now it's julekake with butter and gjetost just like grandma had, washed down with black coffee and Dunhill's Elizabethan mixture.

Here's another favorite of mine, strangely from some foreign (Vietnamese?) website:
http://m.nhacso.net/nghe-nhac/bossa-nova-noel.VllTWkVZ.html

Snow falling down on the city,
Everything looking so pretty.
This time of year you're sure to hear
Bossa nova noel

and the kicker at the end:

And when he comes I'll be with him
Dancing that greatest of rhythms.
You're gonna see Santa and me
Doing bossa nova noel.

Ha - I luv it.  And that's a neat site that I will explore more fully.  You're right...from so far away.  Wonders of the internet, huh?

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 14, 2015, 04:37:26 PM
So have you started on your lefse yet or waiting closer to the time? A neighbor lady just spent 2 days making a bunch of it for folks. Some for a Christmas party, some for freezing, and other distributed around to people. Also some others made some tasty krumkake and kransekake but no lutefisk; yet.

Will tackle that this week.  Got some pointers from a lady at the local Daughters of Norway Julefest who was whipping them out like nobody's business, all while dressed in a bunad!  God I had flour in my shoes the last time I tried it.

The krumkake we usually make Chistmas day since they're easy and we've got the process down.  Piped full of pastry cream with rum and berries, just takes half an hour.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 04:42:41 PM
Will tackle that this week.  Got some pointers from a lady at the local Daughters of Norway Julefest who was whipping them out like nobody's business, all while dressed in a bunad!  God I had flour in my shoes the last time I tried it.
Wow, she has skills! A several women and girls wore bunads at the Juletrefest I went too though I don't think any wore whilst cooking. haha. Good luck with yours!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 14, 2015, 04:47:01 PM
Wow, she has skills! A several women and girls wore bunads at the Juletrefest I went too though I don't think any wore whilst cooking. haha. Good luck with yours!

Thanks!  It's mostly women that wear them for some reason.  When I wore my herrebunad last year all the vakre norske piker wanted their pictures taken with me.  Almost made up for the pinchy buckled shoes, woolen socks and little silver jewelry pins that stick you everywhere.  And the dorky hat.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 04:57:39 PM
Thanks!  It's mostly women that wear them for some reason.  When I wore my herrebunad last year all the vakre norske piker wanted their pictures taken with me.  Almost made up for the pinchy buckled shoes, woolen socks and little silver jewelry pins that stick you everywhere.  And the dorky hat.
Ha, you got the right idea! It is still so warm down here :( I can't imagine wearing that get-up. Don't get me wrong, beautiful weather!! But not for Christmas time, I hope we get a cold-front sometime soon.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 14, 2015, 05:03:49 PM
Ha, you got the right idea! It is still so warm down here :( I can't imagine wearing that get-up. Don't get me wrong, beautiful weather!! But not for Christmas time, I hope we get a cold-front sometime soon.

Well hope for cold weather for you!

What's insane is wearing it for syttende mai.  Sure you can take off the trøye but the wool socks are murder in anything above 45 degrees, let alone marching in a 4-mile parade at 65.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 05:16:25 PM
Well hope for cold weather for you!

What's insane is wearing it for syttende mai.  Sure you can take off the trøye but the wool socks are murder in anything above 45 degrees, let alone marching in a 4-mile parade at 65.
Yah, I remember a friend of mine's dad being beet-red, veins-popping dancing sometimes at the syttende mai dance. I was scared, almost petrified that he was going to have a heart-attack or aneurysm right in front of us. He never did, somehow. How, or why, I do not know.