• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

b_dubb

Quote from: WOTR on September 04, 2011, 02:22:34 PM
So they touched on the ants.  I would still like to hear a scientist or two discuss the fungi that infects ants, moths and certain other insects.  I like the jewel wasp turning the cockroach into a living incubator.  Would love to hear more about the parasites that make grasshoppers jump to their deaths into pools of water so that the parasitic worms can burst out of their thoracic cavity and reproduce.  Perhaps something about the parasitic worms that infect snails to force them into the open to be eaten by birds.  They could talk about another parasitic wasp that turns caterpillars into cocoon protectors through mind control.  I would even settle for liver fluke worms that control the behavior of ants...There have to be more of these situations than I know about... but it would mean a bit of research for the host.

I may be alone in this, but the idea of real parasitic mind control and behavioral influencing fungi sounds like a coast "issue."  It is real, provable, there are experts to interview and I really would find a half hour interview to be more interesting than rehashing zombies... I usually like Ian, but still can not bring myself to listen to last nights show (even if the topic of the fungi ants was brought up I have very little doubt that the science was ignored in favour of science fiction.)
I was waiting for to reveal a scientific parasite/host reason why Noory is so bad ...
Quote... the mosquito that lays eggs in your brain so it's young can feed on your neocortex and speech centers ... rendering you completely uninteresting and talentless ....

SnapT

Yeah, Ian does deserve kudos for trying, but it was wasted effort.  I'd much rather have heard another round of Jason the Horse.  At least he's believable.

Quote from: SnapT on September 04, 2011, 01:51:17 AM
Ian just admitted that he tried to get the author of ABE LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER to come on the show and pretend it's a true story.  The author refused.  Smart guy!...

Well at this point, why not.  George gets a never ending parade of guests to come on and pretend their schtick is real - the Numbers Lady, Richard C, Whitley, Ed Dumbes...

El Kragen

Quote from: SnapT on September 04, 2011, 01:51:17 AM
Ian just admitted that he tried to get the author of ABE LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER to come on the show and pretend it's a true story.  The author refused.  Smart guy!

(Though that would actually be WAY more interesting than these zombie shows.  Lincoln at least is a person that actually EXISTED at one point.)

IDK, I think that would be a pretty good idea. It could be a Halloween fun type show. 

Frys Girl

Ian, as Deacon, you are most qualified to save Coast to Coast AM! You have the broadcasting and faith credentials. We need a miracle. I hope the show goes well tonight.

I am positive Ian reads this site.

WOTR

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 10, 2011, 08:21:21 PM
Ian, as Deacon, you are most qualified to save Coast to Coast AM! You have the broadcasting and faith credentials. We need a miracle. I hope the show goes well tonight.
I tuned in part way through.  Without even listening to the voice I knew I was not dealing with Noory.  The first words that that I heard was "in Chapter 9 of your book..."  George would not know what chapter 9 contained.  Ian went on to offer the guest some actual questions about his book and disagree with a few of his stances.  In short, it was an interview with an engaged host.

This is one of those nights that does seem to be going well and makes me smile.  While I don't think that I would buy the book as I already have a book purchase on a similar subject planned- the interview is interesting and well done.  Instead of prepared questions read off an 5X3 Ian asks questions based on what the authors have just said- and a flowing conversation is the result...  Do you suppose they could hire Ian and Knapp to give some lessons to Noory?

Quote from: WOTR on September 11, 2011, 03:42:38 AM
... Instead of prepared questions read off an 5X3 Ian asks questions based on what the authors have just said- and a flowing conversation is the result...  Do you suppose they could hire Ian and Knapp to give some lessons to Noory?

George knows what his problems are.  It's all over the internet.  He can't have missed it.  He's had years to get better, he's only gotten worse (in every aspect).

So he either does not care, is too lazy to bother trying to correct the problems, knows he's too stupid to ever do it very well no matter what anyway, or he thinks he knows better how to run a show.  Probably a mixture of all four.

So why is Ian tying himself to this anchor?

valdez

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 10, 2011, 08:21:21 PM
Ian, as Deacon, you are most qualified to save Coast to Coast AM! You have the broadcasting and faith credentials. We need a miracle. I hope the show goes well tonight...
Quote from: WOTR on September 11, 2011, 03:42:38 AM
I tuned in part way through.  Without even listening to the voice I knew I was not dealing with Noory.  The first words that that I heard was "in Chapter 9 of your book..."  George would not know what chapter 9 contained.  Ian went on to offer the guest some actual questions...In short, it was an interview with an engaged host....This is one of those nights that does seem to be going well and makes me smile....the interview is interesting and well done.  Instead of prepared questions read off an 5X3 Ian asks questions based on what the authors have just said- and a flowing conversation is the result...

Cindy Campbell was in the Pentagon when it was attacked.  Martin Richard was a fighter pilot who took to the sky over New York.  Micheal Taft and Peter Baumann on the possible evolutionary good that may spring from the darkness of that fateful day.  I didn't "get it" much.  I little distracted.  A little tired.  I've yet to evolve beyond "revenge".  I'm glad Bin Ladin didn't live to see this day.  I'd like to visit Shanksville.  I've been sending money to help build the memorial there for years.  I've probably been ripped off.  Who exactly decided to make this day a day of "service"?  I can't believe Ian is going to have that moron, Russ Baker, on tomorrow.  God Bless America.

World Trade Center Twin Towers at night. NYC, New York, USA ( color)

Russ Baker is not on with Ian.. the show gave the Baker interview to John B Wells

El Kragen

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 11, 2011, 04:00:37 AM

George knows what his problems are.  It's all over the internet.  He can't have missed it.  He's had years to get better, he's only gotten worse (in every aspect).

So he either does not care, is too lazy to bother trying to correct the problems, knows he's too stupid to ever do it very well no matter what anyway, or he thinks he knows better how to run a show.  Probably a mixture of all four.

So why is Ian tying himself to this anchor?

See that's the problem with George, he doesn't think there's a real issue with the way he runs his show. He is, after all, host of the #1 overnight radio show. All that stuff on the interwebs is nothing but "haters". George has his own style, he's not Art and he's not trying to be. Ian and Knapp do their own thing and George does his. It's obviously working, just look at the numbers. Why change? If it ain't broke don't fix it.                                                             

McPhallus

After listening to the art bell 9/11 replay (all four hours), I was a bit burned out.  The stuff about evolving into more enlightened human beings just reeks of naive idealism to me, (i.e., trying too hard to find the silver lining).  Human nature is what it is and hasn't changed in thousands of years.

Ian's a good host, although his presentation seemed bumpy last night.

Quote from: valdez on September 11, 2011, 07:37:52 AM

Cindy Campbell was in the Pentagon when it was attacked.  Martin Richard was a fighter pilot who took to the sky over New York.  Micheal Taft and Peter Baumann on the possible evolutionary good that may spring from the darkness of that fateful day.  I didn't "get it" much.  I little distracted.  A little tired.  I've yet to evolve beyond "revenge".  I'm glad Bin Ladin didn't live to see this day.  I'd like to visit Shanksville.  I've been sending money to help build the memorial there for years.  I've probably been ripped off.  Who exactly decided to make this day a day of "service"?  I can't believe Ian is going to have that moron, Russ Baker, on tomorrow.  God Bless America.

World Trade Center Twin Towers at night. NYC, New York, USA ( color)

Quote from: El Kragen on September 11, 2011, 12:13:56 PM
... It's obviously working, just look at the numbers. Why change? If it ain't broke don't fix it.                                                           

Would love to look at thuh numbers, they seem to be double top secret.  Wonder why that is.

Scully

Like many of you, I would pay good money to see an accurate numbers report of current Coast listeners as compared to pre-George days.

One thing that would stop me from betting the rent on Art, though, is the ratio of intelligent people to those at the same intellectual level as George.  We're just never gonna run out of dummies who think he's the second coming.  :P

Morons: 1
Rest of Us: 0

b_dubb

Quote from: mbrown on September 11, 2011, 02:13:35 PM
I agree.  The two authors were light on science and more on some personal philosophy i think.  There is no reason to believe humans are about to have some cognitive shift to the good..if anything we are becoming dumber, fatter and slower and we are just as mean as always....ripe for extinction..maybe i should write a book..lol.

so Idiocracy IS a documentary?!?!?!?!  time to buy shares in Carls Junior

Quote from: mbrown on September 11, 2011, 02:13:35 PM
I agree.  The two authors were light on science and more on some personal philosophy i think.  There is no reason to believe humans are about to have some cognitive shift to the good..if anything we are becoming dumber, fatter and slower and we are just as mean as always....ripe for extinction..maybe i should write a book..lol.

Totally agree. I couldn't take much listening to those 2 authors.

Seems like there is a lot of "humanity is on the brink of an evolutionary shift" these days.

???

Wahnfried

Quote from: valdez on September 11, 2011, 07:37:52 AM

Beats me... but what's wrong with a day of service? No one's going to MAKE you do anything. What I find really offensive is that the day is officially known as "Patriot Day." What's patriotic about a terrorist attack? By the same token, what's patriotic about the Patriot Act. I should ask Alex Jones.

W

valdez

Gary Jensen returns to retell his ghost story (and push the paperback release of his book), and although I heard it before, it still creeps me out.  Ken Hanson doubts the authenticity of the Jordanian Codices, a subject Ian has been on for a while, and although he'd like them to be real, I admire that he's willing to tear the story down if it turns out to be a hoax.  Canadian guy, Brian Botterill, and his crusade to do away with red light cameras.

I thought last night's show was pretty decent. I like when Ian does paranormal because he just doesn't buy into everything but asks for proof.. he is the embodiment of what Art tried with this show.. and he asks questions spontaneously that aren't previously written.....

coaster

I like Ian Punnett and last night's show was pretty good, but did anyone catch how many times the guy he was interviewing said "you know?" It was particularly bad near the end of the show. At one point, he said "you know" nine times in thirty seconds. It was, you know, nerve-racking.

Frys Girl

I love Ian. Last night he played "that's what friends are for" when he was saying that the guest's friends did not help perform an exorcism on the house. LOL. It's these thoughtful things that make me enjoy Ian's hosting.

CoastCanuck

Quote from: coaster on September 18, 2011, 02:32:41 PM
I like Ian Punnett and last night's show was pretty good, but did anyone catch how many times the guy he was interviewing said "you know?" It was particularly bad near the end of the show. At one point, he said "you know" nine times in thirty seconds. It was, you know, nerve-racking.

Yes, the 'you know' is annoying.   Ian has an annoying habit also... while guests are giving answers, he repeatedly says 'Right'.

Quote from: CoastCanuck on September 18, 2011, 04:53:41 PM
Yes, the 'you know' is annoying.   Ian has an annoying habit also... while guests are giving answers, he repeatedly says 'Right'.

It's because he's just so smart, and wants to make sure listeners don't get the wrong idea and think the comment was news to him.

The holy ghosts show on Saturday night was very interesting and well hosted even with the guests annoying habits.

I don't think it's a habit, it's purposefully condescending and dismissive.  Just one of the techniques he learned getting his undergrad in 'rhetoric'.  I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to one of his interviewees unless they knew ahead of time he wasn't going to be an asswipe.

I would love to see him - away from his mute button, out of the pulpit - in a real debate.

b_dubb

the holy ghost show was solid.  knapp and punnet made for a solid weekend of listening

valdez

Robert Zubrin on falling space stuff, then Dr. James Fadiman on the possible therapeutic value of hallucinogenic drugs.  It's been mentioned on this thread that Ian sounds like the type of guy who parties.  He never has.  I think he should have tripped sometime before this interview just to get a feel of the subject matter.  Fadiman was kind of a jerk to the callers. "What's your question?  Get to the question."  Hey, man, relax.  It's cool. 

fabucat

Quote from: 999 on September 11, 2011, 10:43:51 PM
Totally agree. I couldn't take much listening to those 2 authors.

Seems like there is a lot of "humanity is on the brink of an evolutionary shift" these days.

???

I *really* wish that this site had an option where the reader could the writer points for such smart comments.  Huffington Post does this.  Trust me, people there aren't quite as fun:)

Anyway, how many times do I turn to this site for just laughing my a** off.? Great post, bro'.

Wow the show on therapeutic LSD was great yesterday. Fringe enough (imo) to be coast-worthy, and a very engaging interview as well. I rarely have complaints about Ian. I noticed the guest prompting callers during the show as well, which I thought was strange.

Silent

Yes, the 'you know' is annoying.

I really wanted to listen to this show tonight but I just had to turn it off because of this.  Lots of people have their little fall back words they use when thinking of what they really want to say but this dude is horrible.  He's fitting 'you know' 4 or 5 times in a sentence along with umm, err, like, and the long drawn out 'soooo' and 'annnnnd'  He's filling entire minutes of airtime with what amounts to 15 or 20 seconds of actual thoughts.  Ugh.  I'll try the LSD show instead.

Eddie Coyle

Herr Doktor Fadiman sounded like another "Doc" of reknown...Dr Ron Tarner. I was listening on headphones and the guy went on for about 3 minutes without a breath while Ian was trying to get a question in.