• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jimmy Church

Started by mikealden, January 27, 2014, 09:37:07 PM

Morgus

yep and i posted about that earlier in the George Knapp thread

RedMichael

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 30, 2014, 02:24:52 AM
Geez....just listening to George Knapp on C2C and his guest (that writer from Huffington Post)...and wow....they are really dumbing on Jimmy and all his listeners about the underwater base thing. Just nasty. They didn't have the guts to actually name the show though, but clearly it was Fade To Black they were dissing. Anyone else hear it?

He had the guts to get expert opinions on the matter and the guts to say that he just follows the evidence. IE: A lot of shit out there is bs and crazy. This was touched on in the Knapp thread. I stopped what I was doing to listen to this exchange. It was like music to my ears. If anyone thinks the truth is really out there...the only way to find it is by spotting all the bullshit and seeing what is left.

cweb

I find the whole "heir apparent" thing kind of annoying. I've enjoyed a number of Jimmy's shows, but how about letting the fans decide who the next best host is? No offense to Jimmy, but I can think of two guys I like better.

Between this and the underwater "base" thing, I'm wondering what happened to the guy who had a cool little show about UFOs and anecdotes about rock 'n roll.

Morgus

This morning, Jimmy Church posted on his facebook page referring to the discussion on c2cam in the first hour last night about the Malibu "base" anomaly:

Jimmy linked to this blog article about the c2cam discussion:
http://themarkofthebeast.christianmoney.com/2014/06/two-ufo-guys-cross-lightsabers-over-underwater-alien-base.html

Last night's first hour c2cam guest Lee Speigel with host George Knapp also referred to Lee Speigel's recent Huffington Post article, here is the link to that:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/19/malibu-underwater-alien-base_n_5493186.html

kf5iwe

Quote from: Morgus on June 30, 2014, 01:43:42 PM
This morning, Jimmy Church posted on his facebook page referring to the discussion on c2cam in the first hour last night about the Malibu "base" anomaly:

http://themarkofthebeast.christianmoney.com/2014/06/two-ufo-guys-cross-lightsabers-over-underwater-alien-base.html

Last night's first hour c2cam guest Lee Speigel with host George Knapp also referred to Lee Speigel's recent Huffington Post article, here is the link to that:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/19/malibu-underwater-alien-base_n_5493186.html
The USGS looked at this 5 years ago and declared it natural. Now J Church wants donations to go out there with ROVs and waste hours/days looking at it? Would that not be close to fraud? It would here in Louisiana I was a deputy sheriff for 5 and a half years.

Bart Ell

Quote from: kf5iwe on June 30, 2014, 04:43:44 PM
Now J Church wants donations

He is just living up to his name, another Church looking for donations.

McPhallus

Quote from: kf5iwe on June 30, 2014, 04:43:44 PM
The USGS looked at this 5 years ago and declared it natural. Now J Church wants donations to go out there with ROVs and waste hours/days looking at it? Would that not be close to fraud? It would here in Louisiana I was a deputy sheriff for 5 and a half years.

Either that or Jimmy's just gullible and too caught up in what he wants to believe to do serious research.  Although.... The whole debacle does make for interesting radio.

I think the internet makes these stories a lot less fun than in the 90s. There is always a chance that the geographical survey was compromised.

I think church's insistence that it is alien related is silly. It could be a natural geological occurance, a government related structure, etc. the LEAST likely scenario is aliens.

cweb

Quote from: nooryisawesome on June 30, 2014, 05:37:10 PM
I think church's insistence that it is alien related is silly. It could be a natural geological occurance, a government related structure, etc. the LEAST likely scenario is aliens.
Agreed. I'm all for playing up something for "good" entertaining radio, but these types of things are more enjoyable if you maintain some semblance of mystery (or plausibility) before jumping to a conclusion like this. There's nothing to suggest this is alien, not even a pile of anecdotal (pseudo) evidence.

The Huffington Post article even quotes John Anthony West, who gave an enjoyable interview on Jimmy's show, pretty much saying that it's something natural. Wonder if he's burned that bridge now.

McPhallus

I think the internet makes these stories a lot less fun than in the 90s. There is always a chance that the geographical survey was compromised.

Someone--maybe even Lord Hoaxland--will proclaim this to be a conspiracy.

Meanwhile, Church's credibility among the non-fringe (i.e.,) most of the Art Bell audience, goes down the tubes.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Morgus on June 30, 2014, 01:43:42 PM

I was thinking of listening to Church until I saw this childish drivel about an ET base off Malibu; and right where they used to shoot a lot of Baywatch. So this Church guy actually believes this level of nonsense? 

basswood

Church has no integrity left, especially after his repeated claims of carrying Art Bell's torch. It's one thing to interview people who make claims but now that he is the one making the claims, he's crossed the line. It's really too bad because despite some of his mannerisms, the real curiosity he exhibited showed a lot potential for him to become a solid interviewer down the road but instead he's decided to base himself upon the lowest common denominator. His little attention grab with this ranks him with the rest of the hoaxters.

wr250

i agree with this. did we make it? i dunno ,do we have the means to go that deep to make it?

i think its natural,personally. it is still interesting though.

RedMichael

Quote from: McPhallus on June 30, 2014, 05:07:56 PM
Either that or Jimmy's just gullible and too caught up in what he wants to believe to do serious research.  Although.... The whole debacle does make for interesting radio.

Like others have said, the internet...doesn't necessarily clear everything up but it gets you a lot more information and faster. There is a lot less mystery in the world than there was even 10 years ago. Ultimately it is a good thing but I do miss a good C2C where everything was just uncertain enough that for a bit there I could allow myself to think "Wooooow what if there is just a little truth to this??"

Also, these shows can't afford to not take everything serious. As much as I hate to say that. There are a lot of shows to produce each year and there isn't a lot that changes for a specific guest from one year to another.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: basswood on June 30, 2014, 07:29:06 PM
It's one thing to interview people who make claims but now that he is the one making the claims, he's crossed the line.
Them's my sentiments exactly.  Bell always seemed to convey a zone of doubt to his listeners.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: McPhallus on June 30, 2014, 05:07:56 PM

Substitute "Art" for "Jimmy" and I could have made the exact same post back in 1995 after Art Bell took that ridiculous "alien autopsy" film hook, line, and sinker.  I remember distinctly thinking Art had lost all credibility after his show where he and his guest expert, a "CIA film analyst", challenged and scoffed at callers who questioned the film's authenticity.

wr250

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 30, 2014, 08:32:23 PM

Substitute "Art" for "Jimmy" and I could have made the exact same post back in 1995 after Art Bell took that ridiculous "alien autopsy" film hook, line, and sinker.  I remember distinctly thinking Art had lost all credibility after his show where he and his guest expert, a "CIA film analyst", challenged and scoffed at callers who questioned the film's authenticity.

and propelled hoagland and dames into the "main stream"

basswood

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 30, 2014, 08:32:23 PM

A fair point, Uncle Duke, however, the difference being that Art didn't "make" the film. Being the one gullible enough to buy the snake-oil doesn't make one a snake-oil salesman.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: basswood on June 30, 2014, 09:33:46 PM
A fair point, Uncle Duke, however, the difference being that Art didn't "make" the film. Being the one gullible enough to buy the snake-oil doesn't make one a snake-oil salesman.

*shrug*  In your analogy Art was the guy hawking the snake-oil out of the back of the wagon.  He didn't make it, but he's selling the idea the elixir will cure what ails the locals and personally profiting in the process.  Does that make him any better than the quack who produced it?

Look the point was simply even the great ones wind up with their dicks in the dirt as a result of poor professional judgement. 

Vladimir

Jimmy's show is generally pretty good. Except his first half-hour is a waste of time and repetitive -- it would help to speed it up to get to the meat of show's topic much sooner. Whether he is the next AB or not remains to be seen -- apparently, he thinks so.

RedMichael

Wait, so Bell actually insulted/slandered someone that was a skeptic in some regards (yet a believer in many other) on-air who wasn't on-air to defend themselves?

Please help me find this?

If you really liked Bell then why insult him by comparing Jimmy Church to him???

Uncle Duke

Quote from: RedMichael on July 01, 2014, 07:06:31 PM
Wait, so Bell actually insulted/slandered someone that was a skeptic in some regards (yet a believer in many other) on-air who wasn't on-air to defend themselves?

Please help me find this?

If you really liked Bell then why insult him by comparing Jimmy Church to him???

Wow...might want to re-read my post, Red.

1) I never said Art (or his guest) insulted/slandered anyone.  What I said was they challenged and scoffed at callers who questioned the authenticity of that silly film.  The comments I remember from Art were along the lines of ".....my guest is a film analysis professional from the CIA, he said what he viewed is authentic.  That's good enough to me, he's the expert here".  Note, that's not a direct quote, but rather the general tone of the comments I recall finding objectionable.  I accept the fact you may listen to the same program with total objectivity and not agree with my take.  What is not up for debate is that Art bought this tripe, espoused its authenticity, and presented an "expert" who was eventually shown to have not known his ass from the proverbial hole in the ground.

2) I did not compare Art/Jimmy to Jimmy/Art.  I did point out both had, in my opinion, made errors in judgement that could/did bring their crediblity into question in the eyes (ears?) of some listeners.   Saying I think two people made errors in judgement under somewhat similar circumstances isn't comparing them, one observation is independent of the other.

As an aside, I will point out I brought up Art's lack of objectivity on this program/issue in a series of posts on some thread on this site sometime in the past year.  Clearly they had nothing to do with Jimmy Church and some imagined underwater base.  I specifically remember asking if anyone knew if Art every apologized or owned up to his being taken in by this scam and/or his "expert" guest.  I'm sure you can find my posts, as well as the responses I received, on the site somewhere if you care enough to look.

3) I did a quick and dirty today to see if I could find the name of the "expert" guest and/or the date of the show, no success.   A brute force method of trying to track down the guest/date might be to find the date FOX Network oringinally ran the program, then find a master list of Art's guest/program synopses for all his shows +/- 60 days of the FOX air date.  I can't recall if the guest was interviewed before or after the FOX program.  If you care to take the time, that process should work.

Morgus

Are you referring to photo expert Bob Shell? SIT replayed one of Art's interviews with him from the mid 1990s recently.

Should be a good show tonight

​JULY 02 Wed. 7-10pm pacific LIVE   
DR. LYNNE KITEI/THE PHOENIX LIGHTS
Dr. Lynne Kitei is an internationally acclaimed physician and health educator who pushed aside her successful medical career to pursue The Phoenix Lights book and internationally award-winning Documentary project. She was leading the cutting edge era of early disease detection and prevention as Chief Clinical Consultant of the Imaging-Prevention-Wellness Center at the world renowned Arizona Heart Institute in Phoenix, Arizona until coming forward, after seven years of anonymity, as a key witness to the historic and still unexplained mass sighting throughout Arizona on March 13, 1997.

Dr. Lynne graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree in Secondary Science Education, with minors in Communication and Voice from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. 1970 and an M.D. Degree from Temple University School of Medicine 1974. She completed her post-graduate studies at the Medical College of Pennsylvania.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Morgus on July 02, 2014, 01:40:12 AM
Are you referring to photo expert Bob Shell? SIT replayed one of Art's interviews with him from the mid 1990s recently.

Could be him, but I don't remember that name.   Btw, I just looked Shell up, he's certainly had an interesting life since being on with Art.

bateman

Quote from: vegasrocker on July 02, 2014, 01:43:13 PM
The countdown has started!!!  8)

Make your dummy accounts a little less obvious.

McPhallus

Quote from: vegasrocker on July 02, 2014, 01:43:13 PM
The countdown has started!!!  8)

This makes no sense.  It's Wednesday?  What's Wednesday?  And you didn't even include a date.

vegasrocker

Quote from: bateman on July 02, 2014, 01:56:38 PM
Make your dummy accounts a little less obvious.

I'm a new member and a fan of Fade To Black.  Are you always so paranoid??? :D

Quote from: McPhallus on July 02, 2014, 02:03:35 PM
This makes no sense.  It's Wednesday?  What's Wednesday?  And you didn't even include a date.

If you can't figure it out on your own...explaining it won't help! ;)

vegasrocker

I'm just a Graphic Artist who was bored at work this morning. ;)