• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

paladin1991

Quote from: ksm32 on January 14, 2018, 08:22:30 PM
One can not go wrong with sardines. When in need of a protein fix I'll often throw a can in the blender with a cup of water. It's not for everybody but I love it. And nigga, I'm high protein ;D

I like Sardines on toast.  I'll have it for breakfast occasionally, with a fried egg and a small avocado.

albrecht

One can not go wrong with sardines. When in need of a protein fix I'll often throw a can in the blender with a cup of water. It's not for everybody but I love it. And nigga, I'm high protein ;D
Exactly. And good Omega-3s in addition to protein. Though never blended. Interesting. Some sardines and some saltines and you can't go wrong- at a cheap price point and good for storage, camping, etc. And now lots of variety besides the standard oil or water: tomato (even spicy,) mustard, etc. Other tinned fish is good also herring, bristling, etc. Though it depends on tastes, I never was able to get into the tinned herring in aspic. Wine, sourcream, etc all good but not the gelatinous stuff. Never dared the fermented herring the Swedes enjoy! The best though is the fresh "new" herring available in The Netherlands during a certain time of year. Actually amazingly tasty. And the signage showing nubile Dutch maidens downing a whole fish or on the vessels delivering them is also somewhat oddly provocative. (Maybe related to the translation of 'virgin herring,' costumes, and the popular method of eating them that entails holding the fish by the tail and opening up?)

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 13, 2018, 09:16:07 AM
I wasn't serious. ::)
Oops, that was meant for Swishy.

Sardines are great.  I kind of like the texture of the smooth scale residue.

Canned fish with bones is great because the bones (calcium) are all edible.

I like broth of proteins too, warm or not.

Jackstar

throw a can in the blender with a cup of water

I'm uncertain how this is superior to a simple fork. I guess swilling it down could be a real time saver, but there's the matter of sanitizing and deodorizing the machine.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on January 14, 2018, 11:31:42 PM
I'm uncertain how this is superior to a simple fork. I guess swilling it down could be a real time saver, but there's the matter of sanitizing and deodorizing the machine.
I'm guessing he doesn't want to think of the critter while eating it, as they are pretty whole?

Keeping my blender clean is easy.  Just swish swish, brush brush, rinse rinse...

paladin1991

Quote from: Jojo on January 14, 2018, 11:33:52 PM
I'm guessing he doesn't want to think of the critter while eating it, as they are pretty whole?

Keeping my blender clean is easy.  Just swishy swishy, brush brush, rinse rinse...

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on January 15, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
Keeping fish out of mine is even easier.
I used to feel that way too, until I lived on a river.  The fish, along with a veterinarian recipe, made great cat food.  However, not good to have a steady fish diet, as fish can cause stones and one of my male cats had to go on CD diet for life after a few bouts with stones, which are potentially fatal in cats and very expensive.

ksm32

Quote from: Jojo on January 14, 2018, 11:33:52 PM

Keeping my blender clean is easy.  Just swish swish, brush brush, rinse rinse...

You kidding? I grew up on a farm and slaughtered my pet pull when he became of feed the family age. I was seven at the time and Adam (my bull) was huge. 303 right between the eyes (and yes I cried) Whole sardines are not a problem. I was speaking about a shortage of time when I get really busy during the summer while working on my house or vacation rental and I forget to eat because I get a natural high of building decks, fences, or regular yard upkeep.

Sometimes you don't want to sit down to a large meal so you look for an alternative.. that's all.

ksm32

Quote from: Jackstar on January 14, 2018, 11:31:42 PM

Stop trolling me. It is superior to a fork, and blenders come apart for a thorough cleaning so I'm good.

Jackstar

Quote from: ksm32 on January 15, 2018, 02:48:19 AM
blenders come apart for a thorough cleaning

... what could go wrong? What a fun way to spend a Friday!

ksm32

Quote from: Jackstar on January 15, 2018, 06:46:50 PM
... what could go wrong? What a fun way to spend a Friday!

I'm a hardwood flooring installer. I work with various saws, I got this shit down. The food processor blade is much sharper, coz its new. #KitchenAid

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on January 15, 2018, 02:44:53 AM
You kidding? I grew up on a farm and slaughtered my pet pull when he became of feed the family age. I was seven at the time and Adam (my bull) was huge. 303 right between the eyes (and yes I cried) Whole sardines are not a problem. I was speaking about a shortage of time when I get really busy during the summer while working on my house or vacation rental and I forget to eat because I get a natural high of building decks, fences, or regular yard upkeep.

Sometimes you don't want to sit down to a large meal so you look for an alternative.. that's all.
Liquid meals come in handy at work in a screw top bottle, too. Quick and fats to make but cleaning screen top bottles is a pain.
Sorry you had to kill the bull.  They shouldn't have let you bond with livestock!
I used to have a dog that looked and smiled a lot like your avatar!

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on January 15, 2018, 02:48:19 AM
Stop trolling me. It is superior to a fork, and blenders come apart for a thorough cleaning so I'm good.
Blenders have come a long way, Sackstar.  Mine is from 1995, and is super easy to clean.  It really is harder to bottle brush out the container than it is to clean the blender.  It is basically a pitcher, that's all.  When cleaned on time every time, then it is always a cinch.  One of the selling features was how easy it is to clean.  It only has one knob.

Jojo

Realized when I don't have carbs, especially complex carbs, at a meal then cravings become overwhelming shortly after the meal.

ksm32

Quote from: Jojo on January 17, 2018, 03:48:48 AM
Realized when I don't have carbs, especially complex carbs, at a meal then cravings become overwhelming shortly after the meal.

You're in a state of Ketosis. You're body slips in to fat burning mode, you may feel like you're starving to death but... it's a good thing if you learn how to work it.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on January 18, 2018, 03:39:53 AM
You're in a state of Ketosis. You're body slips in to fat burning mode, you may feel like you're starving to death but... it's a good thing if you learn how to work it.
Clinical ketosis or just uncomfortable ketosis?

Jojo

Took an aerobic walk.
Remembered legumes are gluten free carbs.
Ate fresh produce.

Yes, we should do these things all the time.  But they are just highlights from What I Did for Nutritional Health Today.

ksm32

Quote from: Jojo on January 21, 2018, 03:20:04 AM
Clinical ketosis or just uncomfortable ketosis?

All ketosis is uncomfortable. You'll want four big macs and a greasy whopper with a chocolate shake to mush it all down into your fecal making mechanisms. Throw some so-called chicken nuggets in with all that :D

What one must do is mentally subscribe to the wonderful reality that their body is NATAURALLY burning fat at a very rapid rate, and it's FREE! In fact, for obvious reasons, it saves you money! Until you reach the physical point of diminishing returns (meaning your cells no longer repair themselves the way they did only a few years ago) you must take advantage of what your God given body is capable of while the clock still favors you.

/I'm not yelling at you, just pointing out what should be obvious to the majority of the populous.

I rule.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on January 22, 2018, 04:00:32 AM
All ketosis is uncomfortable. You'll want four big macs and a greasy whopper with a chocolate shake to mush it all down into your fecal making mechanisms. Throw some so-called chicken nuggets in with all that :D

What one must do is mentally subscribe to the wonderful reality that their body is NATAURALLY burning fat at a very rapid rate, and it's FREE! In fact, for obvious reasons, it saves you money! Until you reach the physical point of diminishing returns (meaning your cells no longer repair themselves the way they did only a few years ago) you must take advantage of what your God given body is capable of while the clock still favors you.

/I'm not yelling at you, just pointing out what should be obvious to the majority of the populous.

I rule.
Ok.  I think I was confused between ketosis and ketoacidosis!

Jojo

Best things I did for nutritional health today:
Kept portions small.
Ate protein.
Prepared nutritious food on hand.
Water.
Tried to build what variety I could in (slows digestion).
Let a person around me know what foods I need and got help locating it.
Bookmarked the location here of foods I can eat.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jojo on January 22, 2018, 08:22:31 PM
Best things I did for nutritional health today:
Kept portions small.
Ate protein.
Prepared nutritious food on hand.
Water.
Tried to build what variety I could in (slows digestion).
Let a person around me know what foods I need and got help locating it.
Bookmarked the location here of foods I can eat.

Now!  Now you might get a second date.  Good girl.

This looks like a thread I should participate in.

New Years day, I bent down and a button popped off my pants!! I've gotten fat. Now, I have this gross pot belly that came out of nowhere.

I generally wear 33 inch waist Levis, and the waist is loose -- it was loose until about a month ago. I don't know what happened to me. Age and bad genes are taking their toll. That and I started eating more than usual when it got cold in November. I ate grilled steaks, cake several times during the month -- not much , but it must have been enough to push me over the edge. November and December were cold and dark, so I did not go outside much. The food made me feel warm. If I eat only  what I ate during the summer, I shiver all night.

Beginning on the 1st, I started running a solid 1 - 2 hours 3 days a week. No foot-shuffling. That and I ride my bike 2 or 3 times a week for another hour each time. Plus, I started doing strength training 3 days a week for 20 minutes each time.

At day 23 of my new exercise routine, my gut still sticks out like I'm pregnant, but it seems to have gotten slightly smaller since the first. My muscles are bigger and muscle definition has improved. I'm not measuring, just going by how my clothes fit and how it looks.

Eating roughly 2000-2500 kCal each day. Feel hungry all the time.

Today specifically, I ran 1 hour 30 minutes, in the rain. The fat doesn't take a day off because it's raining, so I won't either. I did 20 min strength training focusing on back and shoulders and finally 20 minutes of yoga and general stretching.

Quote from: ksm32 on January 15, 2018, 02:44:53 AM
You kidding? I grew up on a farm and slaughtered my pet pull when he became of feed the family age. I was seven at the time and Adam (my bull) was huge. 303 right between the eyes (and yes I cried) .
That's cruel taht your parents made you kill your pet bull at that young age. You even named him Adam ffs. I too raised farm animals (4-H projects) starting at the age of 7. Despite all of their shortcomings, my parents gave me the option of selling the farm animals/pets at the county stock yard so I didn't have to deal with that. (in hindsight, they did this only because they did not want to deal with the bloody mess I would have made out of killing and butchering a large animal rather than out of consideration for my emotions.) I didn't kill or butcher any animals until I went deer hunting at the age of 12 when I shot my first deer. I did not cry.

ksm32

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 23, 2018, 11:59:12 AM
This looks like a thread I should participate in.

That's cruel taht your parents made you kill your pet bull at that young age. You even named him Adam ffs. I too raised farm animals (4-H projects) starting at the age of 7. Despite all of their shortcomings, my parents gave me the option of selling the farm animals/pets at the county stock yard so I didn't have to deal with that. (in hindsight, they did this only because they did not want to deal with the bloody mess I would have made out of killing and butchering a large animal rather than out of consideration for my emotions.) I didn't kill or butcher any animals until I went deer hunting at the age of 12 when I shot my first deer. I did not cry.

I appreciate your sentiments, I do, but they didn't make me kill my bull, this was life on a farm out in the country. That's how it was. Also.. I had the worst hay fever as a kid but because I loved the haying season and doing everything that went with it meaning the work, I wasn't forced in any way and my parents gave the option to not work/participate.

To be very clear, I cried because I liked Adam but also because I was learning about the nature of the way things work. Ya know, food chain stuff.

I'm happy I have that section of my life.   Now I'm a redneck city slicker with an unhealthy and expensive Les Paul obsession.