• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Adam Rainer is the only person in recorded medical history to be classified as both a dwarf and a giant.

At age 18 he measured 122.5 cm (4' 0.25").  Then, as a result of a pituitary tumor, he grew almost a meter taller over the next 14 years, and died at the age of 50 at a height of 234 cm (7' 8").

MV/Liberace!

Picasso was once questioned by the police who thought he might have stolen the Mona Lisa.

MV/Liberace!

And a bonus fact, since I've been slacking:

The hotel chain Best Western once had a string of hotels called Best Eastern.

Quote from: MV on July 25, 2014, 03:53:36 PM
And a bonus fact, since I've been slacking:

The hotel chain Best Western once had a string of hotels called Best Eastern.

Ever wonder where chains like Motel6 and Super8 got their names?  It used to be illegal to display the price of your rooms on the exterior of the building (don't ask me why).  Needless to say, the appeal of a place like Motel6 is its price.  To get around this restriction, chains baked the room price into the name.  Motel6, for example, had rooms for six dollars per night.

Aaaaaaand I think you can see from the price how long ago this gambit was used.

zeebo

At some point in the '90s, approximately 50% of all CDs produced worldwide were for AOL.

Yorkshire pud

A quarter of the human skeleton is made up of bones in the feet.

WildCard

Picasso always paid by check.
"People rather keep the check for my famous signature than to cash it."
-Picasso

eddie dean

Foot fetishism is the most common form of sexual fetishism for otherwise non-sexual objects or body parts.

zeebo

Mt. Everest is still growing higher by about a quarter inch every year. 

Quote from: zeebo on July 26, 2014, 04:38:01 PM
Mt. Everest is still growing higher by about a quarter inch every year.

In 1856, Everest was measured at exactly 29,000 feet.  This presented a problem, because a round number could be confused as an estimate, which was common in that age.  The surveyor added two feet to the measurement to avoid the round number, and thus became the first man to "put two feet on top of Mt. Everest," almost 100 years before Edmund Hillary.

In the 2007 film Planet Terror, the scene where Sheriff Earl McGraw (Michael Parks) feeds his invalid wife, you will see a framed photo of Parks on his motorcycle, the photo taken during his 1969-1970 TV series Then Came Bronson.

onan

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 27, 2014, 08:19:02 PM
In the 2007 film Planet Terror, the scene where Sheriff Earl McGraw (Michael Parks) feeds his invalid wife, you will see a framed photo of Parks on his motorcycle, the photo taken during his 1969-1970 TV series Then Came Bronson.

It would really be cool if there is a picture of his invalid wife in Then Came Bronson.

It's probably safe to say that Bronson came whenever Jill Ireland wanted him to.

jazmunda

My hometown, Melbourne Australia, has the largest Greek population in the world outside of Athens Greece.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on July 27, 2014, 08:56:24 PM
My hometown, Melbourne Australia, has the largest Greek population in the world outside of Athens Greece.

Very loyal folk. They never leave their friend's behind.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2014, 09:00:07 PM
      Very loyal folk. They never leave their friend's behind.
ha.
by the way, nice avatar.  love that movie.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on July 27, 2014, 09:03:15 PM
ha.
by the way, nice avatar.  love that movie.

Thanks, and same here. I must have watched that movie 20 times between 1993-95. I can still recite the Hopper-Walken showdown verbatim when I'm in good company.

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2014, 08:38:04 PM
It would really be cool if there is a picture of his invalid wife in Then Came Bronson.

That would violate the first law of Kevin Bacon Dynamics. As far as we know, a celebrity cannot go backward in time to cameo from a future film. (Though some swear Alfred Hitchcock somehow transported himself into some of Mathew Brady's Civil War plates.)

b_dubb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108399/

An excellent film that features a very early role for Gandolfini

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on July 27, 2014, 10:56:36 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108399/

An excellent film that features a very early role for Gandolfini

Some of my favourite actors are amongst the supporting cast.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on July 27, 2014, 11:14:50 PM
Some of my favourite actors are amongst the supporting cast.

I always had you pegged as a Conchata Ferrell groupie.

Who isn't?

jazmunda

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 28, 2014, 12:23:37 AM
    I always had you pegged as a Conchata Ferrell groupie.

Who isn't?

I dream of the day for a threesome with her and Kathy Kinney.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on July 28, 2014, 01:03:05 AM
I dream of the day for a threesome with her and Kathy Kinney.

I'd yell "Me, Me" at Kathy Kinney, when she lustily demanded immediate sex making.

B Dubb's correct.

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on July 28, 2014, 01:06:54 AM
You guys need help

Sure but then it would not be a traditional ménage à trois.

zeebo

The little indentation in the center of your upper lip is called the "philtrum".

onan

Quote from: zeebo on July 28, 2014, 01:33:43 AM
The little indentation in the center of your upper lip is called the "philtrum".

A wider than "normal" width of the philtrum is one of several physical manifestations that are linked to autism.

jazmunda

The Australian Coat Of Arms has a kangaroo and an emu on it. The reason being, kangaroos and emus can’t go backwards, they can only walk/hop forward.

pate

Blood and vomit bounce on ice.

It has has something to do with the temperature differential and viscousity...  (hockey)