• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 21, 2018, 02:35:19 PM
I don’t remember the guys name but when Billy Graham first started his best friend was his partner in evangelism. They preached and travelled the country together. Somewhere early on the friend decided he was either an aetheist or agnostic.

Lee Stroebel interviewed him (kind of on his deathbed) for the premise of his book “A Case for Faith”. It’s been awhile but I thought it was a good book.  A great follow up to “A Case for Christ “.

Wish I could remember the guy's name.  There was a Billy Graham biographical film a few years ago which highlighted the split between the two.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Found it.  The guy's name was Charles Templeton.

Lord Grantham

Lee Stroebel interviewed him (kind of on his deathbed) for the premise of his book “A Case for Faith”. It’s been awhile but I thought it was a good book.  A great follow up to “A Case for Christ “.

Let me guess, deathbead change of heart.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 21, 2018, 02:47:52 PM
Wish I could remember the guy's name.  There was a Billy Graham biographical film a few years ago which highlighted the split between the two.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Charles Templeton

Found this but haven’t read it yet. Looks like a long excerpt or maybe a workbook/study guide kind of aid to the book

http://peopleofthekeys.com/pdf/thecaseforfaith.pdf

Actually this might be the entire book. Not sure

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 21, 2018, 02:53:24 PM

If I remember right Lee Stroebel was kind of unclear on that. When he went back to interview him again I think he had had a stroke and couldn’t speak. 

Quote from: Lord Grantham on February 21, 2018, 02:53:24 PM

He had Alzheimer's.  Perhaps he forgot his agnosticism.  LOL.  A lot of people become Christians on their deathbed if they are lucky to make it to their deathbed.  An iffy proposition with heart attacks and accidents always possible.  I think I heard where Darwin converted on his deathbed but that may be an urban legend.

Juan

My favorite Graham story - once he and Nixon were at some religious public event. They passed the plate and Nixon had to borrow 5-bucks from Graham to put in the plate.

I attended a Graham crusade in Atlanta. It was a moving experience.

Quote from: Juan on February 21, 2018, 03:42:16 PM
My favorite Graham story - once he and Nixon were at some religious public event. They passed the plate and Nixon had to borrow 5-bucks from Graham to put in the plate.

Wish I had done that.  I envy you.  He is the only major evangelist that I have truly loved and respected.  He had love in his heart for everyone and brought more people to Christ than any other evangelist including Christ Himself and Paul.  We lost a giant today but heaven has gained a great soul.

albrecht

It took the NBC anchorette almost a full minute before mentioning Christian, said "Major Religious Figure." And then focused mainly on the "Nixon issue" and that Hearst "saw him and promoted him" but did admit Christianity and being "America's Pastor."

paladin1991

Quote from: Up All Night on February 21, 2018, 01:29:36 PM
Billy Graham's partner in evangelism, gospel singer and hymn composer George Beverly Shea made to 104.

Whoa.  And I want to make it to 70.

paladin1991

I don’t remember the guys name but when Billy Graham first started his best friend was his partner in evangelism. They preached and travelled the country together. Somewhere early on the friend decided he was either an aetheist or agnostic.

Read C4C, will catch C4F

paladin1991

Quote from: Juan on February 21, 2018, 03:42:16 PM

Never had the good fortune to catch a Graham Crusade.  I do remember at multiple times in my life catching bits and pieces of his broadcasts.  His passion would give me pause, make me stop and listen or watch. 

Up All Night

I caught Graham's Crusade at Texas Stadium on their 2nd visit. (Graham's first visit to Texas Stadium was actually the first event ever held there after it was completed, if memory serves me.)

I actually enjoy watching the films of the crusades on TBN more than going to one. The hassle of the traffic and parking and finding good seating takes it out of you. Sitting on the couch it's much easier to take it all in.  :D

Jackstar

You know, for a dead guy, David Bowie sure still makes my news feed like fuckin' clockwork these days. Check it.

Up All Night

Quote from: albrecht on February 22, 2018, 02:01:32 PM
Billy Graham will lie in honor in the US Capitol Rotunda
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/procession-planned-americas-pastor-rev-billy-graham-53264187

How "edgy," I cannot believe any parents would let their kids subscribe to this magazine:
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/teen-vogue-columnist-tells-billy-graham-have-fun-hell-bitch-calls-him-evil

Billy Graham is the only other notable citizen to lie in Honor in the US Capitol Rotunda, besides Rosa Parks.

His coffin was loaded aboard the Samaritan's Purse DC-8 at Dulles airport today, and flown back to Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/franklin_graham

Rix Gins

Quote from: trostol on March 03, 2018, 09:14:46 PM
Charles Emerson Winchester has passed on

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/03/david_ogden_stiers_mash_actor_dies.html

I was flipping channels earlier today and MASH went by.  Major Winchester was talking to Alda and another other guy, giving them a play by play description of what was happening in the mess tent.  I never liked MASH all that much so I resumed my channel surfing.  But still, Rest In Peace Mr. Stiers.

Quote from: trostol on March 03, 2018, 09:14:46 PM
Charles Emerson Winchester has passed on

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/03/david_ogden_stiers_mash_actor_dies.html

Man. I really liked this guy.  I watched MASH when I was a kid, and I remember he had to fill the shoes of Larry Linville which was a tall order.  Stiers did it.  I especially remember the episode where he defended the patient/soldier who had a speech impediment (stutter).   I finally saw that his character was more than just a stuck-up, rich boy.  He went back to his tent to listen to a recorded message his dear sister had sent him...she had the same impediment.  Powerful stuff.  RIP to Mr. Stiers, a fantastic actor. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on March 03, 2018, 09:23:34 PM
Man. I really liked this guy.  I watched MASH when I was a kid, and I remember he had to fill the shoes of Larry Linville which was a tall order.  Stiers did it.  I especially remember the episode where he defended the patient/soldier who had a speech impediment (stutter).   I finally saw that his character was more than just a stuck-up, rich boy.  He went back to his tent to listen to a recorded message his dear sister had sent him...she had the same impediment.  Powerful stuff.  RIP to Mr. Stiers, a fantastic actor.

That was a great episode!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on March 03, 2018, 09:23:34 PM

I think Stiers was what kept that show on for a further six seasons after Larry Linville left. In fact, I think M*A*S*H entered its greatest period with his arrival. Every three or four years I plow through the entire series, and I'm always looking forward to the arrival of Maj. Winchester. Pretty bummed to learn he's died. Soon, the roster of dead MASH cast members will exceed the living.

Lunger

Quote from: albrecht on March 05, 2018, 01:41:34 PM
Roger Bannister dead at 88.
http://www.thetrucker.com/APNews/Story/34345250

Damn!  Bannister was some one that I always strived to out-do. Never quite made it but got close with my personal best 4:16 mile.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: mv on March 05, 2018, 03:10:46 PM
I think Stiers was what kept that show on for a further six seasons after Larry Linville left. In fact, I think M*A*S*H entered its greatest period with his arrival. Every three or four years I plow through the entire series, and I'm always looking forward to the arrival of Maj. Winchester. Pretty bummed to learn he's died. Soon, the roster of dead MASH cast members will exceed the living.

I thought Stiers was great as the mayor of the podunk Southern town in "Doc Hollywood".  That role was about as far removed from Winchester as it could be.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lunger on March 05, 2018, 03:30:12 PM
Damn!  Bannister was some one that I always strived to out-do. Never quite made it but got close with my personal best 4:16 mile.

Even I can beat him now.

albrecht

Quote from: Lunger on March 05, 2018, 03:30:12 PM
He also went on to a career in medicine and I learned from the bio he developed the first test for anabolic steroids. Ha. I wonder how many fellow runners and athletes don't like that....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__f8GJu2t-g