Yorkshire pud

"I make a positive case for Earth being round"

Beautiful!!  ;D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: astroguy on December 16, 2016, 12:32:45 AM
"Radiation" is
As common in life as 'tis
In pseudoscience.

Episode 153, "What Is Radiation?" has been posted.

Very interesting Stuart. The physics lessons I had at school make sense now.  :)

astroguy

ONeill

Hey Stuart, what do you need to get to a typical astronomy conference? An abstract or a paper?

astroguy

Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2016, 02:25:02 PM
Hey Stuart, what do you need to get to a typical astronomy conference? An abstract or a paper?
Just the registration.

starrmtn001

Comet Swarms or an Alien Megastructures? The Strange Variations of the Star KIC 8462852.  1.12.17.

https://youtu.be/V12SsidtIUc

pate

Quote from: astroguy on January 14, 2017, 06:25:47 PM
Mandela Effect,
Evidence of real'ty
Changes?  No, not quite.

Episode 155, "New Science: Evidence for the Mandela Effect?" has been posted.

Mandela Effect, forsooth.  It is laughable!

(I kid, but when I saw the parts I highlight in the screenshot below, I thought it mildly amusing...)

astroguy

Messed up the year.  This is why I haven't written checks yet this year.

pate

A likely story, you must be one of the main re-writers of the Cosmic Code, hence your apogee in defense of the non-exitance of the Manderbla Effect.

BTW:  The above is properly spelt Anglish in the cosmoverse I grew up in...  heh

Big Chicken

I dunno baby.   I have  a distinct memory of Furious George   He and the man in the yellow hat used to beat some serious ass.
Now it seems as if both have been wussified to the point where the stories are sooooo boring.

chefist

Why does imperfect memory have to have a classification like "Mandela Effect"?

astroguy

Quote from: Chefist on January 14, 2017, 09:37:10 PM
Why does imperfect memory have to have a classification like "Mandela Effect"?
Because people think they're perfect.

chefist

Yorkshire pud

Not pseudo astronomy, but the real stuff. But fascinating. Weird.

Venus wave may be Solar System's biggest - www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38638067

astroguy

Quote from: News Justin on January 16, 2017, 02:11:22 PM
Venus wave may be Solar System's biggest - www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38638067
I'm not sure that's the "biggest."  Keep in mind the standing wave pattern on the north pole of Saturn (the hexagon), which is around 13,000 km, and this one on Venus is 10,000.

Ciardelo

Quote from: astroguy on January 30, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
The Scientific
Method: Technique for finding
What's true, and what's not.

Episode 156, "The Scientific Method: How We Get to What We Know" has been posted.

Thanks astroguy! Can you explain where the "97% of climate scientists" figure comes from? I trust your judgment but I have heard some disputes over this number.

Here's an example article quickly pulled from the internet:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#470edd097187

astroguy

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 30, 2017, 04:28:06 PM
Thanks astroguy! Can you explain where the "97% of climate scientists" figure comes from? I trust your judgment but I have heard some disputes over this number.

Here's an example article quickly pulled from the internet:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#470edd097187
First, look at the author of that article: Alex Epstein, someone who's made a career advocating for fossil fuel use.  Doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's a warning flag.

Next, there have been many studies that combed through the scientific literature about climate change to see who thinks it's real and who doesn't.  Here's a blog that summarizes 7 of those reviews and the one that Epstein complains about (Cook et al., 2013) is just one of them.

Another thing you can look to is the professional studies that have members who do the research on this work.  NASA's website (for now) has a list of seven of them, though I have no idea why the AMA has come out in support.  But the other six are relevant and their members pushing for this are the only way that these scientific organizations will come out with such a policy statement.

Ciardelo

Quote from: astroguy on January 30, 2017, 04:39:50 PM
First, look at the author of that article: Alex Epstein, someone who's made a career advocating for fossil fuel use.  Doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's a warning flag.

Next, there have been many studies that combed through the scientific literature about climate change to see who thinks it's real and who doesn't.  Here's a blog that summarizes 7 of those reviews and the one that Epstein complains about (Cook et al., 2013) is just one of them.

Another thing you can look to is the professional studies that have members who do the research on this work.  NASA's website (for now) has a list of seven of them, though I have no idea why the AMA has come out in support.  But the other six are relevant and their members pushing for this are the only way that these scientific organizations will come out with such a policy statement.

Maybe I picked a bad example :) Thanks for such an in-depth response that will keep me busy reading for awhile. You and expat keep our heads out of the clouds around here dangit.  >:(

Ciardelo

Quote from: astroguy on February 04, 2017, 02:23:20 PM
Altern'tive Title:
Yes, Virginia, there really
Is a Canada.

Episode 157, "Special Cross-Over Episode with The Reality Check, Astronomy Edition" has been posted.

Nice! I'm listening to it now. I like the cross-over :) Interesting questions hashed. Maybe we can hope you'll do one with the Hoagland Imaging Team?

astroguy

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2017, 03:15:35 PM
Nice! I'm listening to it now. I like the cross-over :) Interesting questions hashed. Maybe we can hope you'll do one with the Hoagland Imaging Team?
*cough*