• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

FallenSeraph

I'm probably going to get mocked here, but I'm trying to venture out of the land of Mac and buy a decent gaming laptop, if there is such a thing. I want a VR-ready one. But dang, buying a PC is kind of terrifying and confusing when you've spent your life on a Mac. I'm looking at an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-230, but it feels like there are 900 different configurations of it. And whenever I read user reviews of it, they're like "REMOVE THE BLOAT FIRST!" "REPLACE THE T1!" "DON'T GET 4K RESOLUTION!" and I get too paralyzed with fear to hit "Buy."

I guess I'm just checking here to see if anyone has any opinions or suggestions. I'm tired of trying to slog through games with crappy graphics on a MacBookPro.

Taaroa

Quote from: Seraphim27 on June 13, 2017, 08:07:35 AM
I guess I'm just checking here to see if anyone has any opinions or suggestions. I'm tired of trying to slog through games with crappy graphics on a MacBookPro.
I don't particularly play new games on PC and don't pay attention to the scene at all really, so my advice/opinions will probably be outdated. I think the general consensus is that if you want the highest level of graphics possible, a gaming laptop is not the way to go. I understand the appeal of laptops but the tradeoff is in performance.  I don't know if it's still true, but they also will probably run hot and have crap battery lives.

I have used an Alienware (you mentioned them in the other thread) and it gave me a lot of problems - screen issues, battery issues, cooling issues (partly the fault of my cat), and a dead HDD and motherboard were all things I had fun dealing with. I got very good at pulling it apart and putting it back together.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: Taaroa on June 13, 2017, 09:24:59 AM
I don't particularly play new games on PC and don't pay attention to the scene at all really, so my advice/opinions will probably be outdated. I think the general consensus is that if you want the highest level of graphics possible, a gaming laptop is not the way to go. I understand the appeal of laptops but the tradeoff is in performance.  I don't know if it's still true, but they also will probably run hot and have crap battery lives.

I have used an Alienware (you mentioned them in the other thread) and it gave me a lot of problems - screen issues, battery issues, cooling issues (partly the fault of my cat), and a dead HDD and motherboard were all things I had fun dealing with. I got very good at pulling it apart and putting it back together.

Thank you! Yeah, I was hoping for something that could multitask (also so I could write off part of it for work). But you're one of several people who have said "just don't."

Haha - my Mac started to have cooling issues and I was pretty mortified when the tech opened it and it was full of cat hair that was jamming the fans. She said, "It's not as bad as the guy who just came in with a laptop full of ants and roaches."  :o

Taaroa

Quote from: Seraphim27 on June 13, 2017, 09:53:46 AM
But you're one of several people who have said "just don't."

It's not so much "just don't", but more that you keep in mind that there are tradeoffs.

I don't know what games you want to play, but I'd imagine a higher end laptop could play most things reasonably well but maybe not at highest settings. Personally I can't stand sitting at a desk to play games so prefer laptops, but what PC games I do play are older things like Command and Conquer or Sins of a Solar Empire which don't require much in the way of performance.

Haha - my Mac started to have cooling issues and I was pretty mortified when the tech opened it and it was full of cat hair that was jamming the fans.

That's exactly what happened to me thanks to my long haired cat. Strangely enough it hasn't happened again.

zeebo

Thank you! Yeah, I was hoping for something that could multitask (also so I could write off part of it for work). But you're one of several people who have said "just don't."

Seraphim if I remember you do alot of writing / editing, yes?  One thing to keep in mind, is if you have a laptop with a high resolution and a small screen you're going to get really small text.  You can offset this somewhat by changing Windows DPI setting to higher than 100%, but if you go above say 125-150% the loss of text clarity becomes noticeable imho.  If I was gonna do a gaming laptop that doubled for text-based work I'd go for a bigger screen (15-17 in.) with no higher than 1920x1080 standard HD resolution (i.e. not 4k ultra).   Otherwise I'd just go for a desktop with a blazingly fast video card and a nice big monitor (say 25-30 in.)

Another thing to keep in mind is gaming laptops can run quite hot (at least during gameplay), so check reviews to make sure it's got adequate cooling.

Btw I'm like Taaroa in that I tend to play older games, for several reasons:

1) they're alot cheaper (check out gog.com or store.steampowered.com for plenty of older/discounted games)
2) they require less hardware resources
3) the bugs are usually worked out by now
4) although the graphics are less impressive, they're often better designed and more fun to actually play than newer ones

Rix Gins

Quote from: zeebo on June 13, 2017, 01:25:45 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is gaming laptops can run quite hot (at least during gameplay), so check reviews to make sure it's got adequate cooling.

Btw I'm like Taaroa in that I tend to play older games, for several reasons:

1) they're alot cheaper (check out gog.com or store.steampowered.com for plenty of older/discounted games)
2) they require less hardware resources
4) although the graphics are less impressive, they're often better designed and more fun to actually play than newer ones

Right on, Zeebo.  Count me in too.  I get a feeling of comfort when I go back and visit the characters in my older games.  The Sims2 Apartment Life, Sherlock Homes Awakening, the Lost Crown, and Skyrim just to name some. 

Rixrim and friend.

zeebo

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 13, 2017, 03:42:55 PM
Right on, Zeebo.  Count me in too.  I get a feeling of comfort when I go back and visit the characters in my older games.  The Sims2 Apartment Life, Sherlock Homes Awakening, the Lost Crown, and Skyrim just to name some.  ...

Nice, Rix.  I think I picked up Skyrim and Fallout:NV each like five years after release, on Steam sale for maybe ten bucks apiece.  And I've played both for over two hundred hours so pretty good value proposition.   :)

I have several much older ones from GOG like Master of Orion, Heroes of Might and Magic, and The Longest Journey which are fun if graphically primitive, each grabbed for just a few bucks on sale, and which play fine on my ancient laptop.

Btw, to Seraphim:  If the whole pc gaming thing is too complicated, you can always pick up a console for your tv, say an Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo.  The graphics usually aren't quite as good but they can be alot easier to just pick up and play (however games for them can be pricey if either new and in demand, or older and considered 'vintage'.)

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on June 13, 2017, 01:25:45 PM

There are always issues of compatability with newer OSes though.

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on June 13, 2017, 08:50:18 PM
There are always issues of compatability with newer OSes though.

True, it's a trade-off there.  Sometimes configuring them is a hassle or even a lost cause. 

Another issue for me is alot of older games don't work well or at all with gamepads.  I hate mouse/keyboard except for point-n-click or strategy games, so newer games with integrated controller support get a plus for that in my book. 

Hmm I may be talking myself back into consoles.   :-\

Taaroa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTdXmFgzvA
These are the people with early access to the game who are meant to be promoting it...

Dr. MD MD

I'm probably going to get mocked here, but I'm trying to venture out of the land of Mac and buy a decent gaming laptop, if there is such a thing. I want a VR-ready one. But dang, buying a PC is kind of terrifying and confusing when you've spent your life on a Mac. I'm looking at an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-230, but it feels like there are 900 different configurations of it. And whenever I read user reviews of it, they're like "REMOVE THE BLOAT FIRST!" "REPLACE THE T1!" "DON'T GET 4K RESOLUTION!" and I get too paralyzed with fear to hit "Buy."

Hello fellow brethren of the church of Macintosh! Clearly, you like well designed computers that work the way they should.  ;)

However, I do understand you're desire to venture out as we're often limited in terms of current game play. I think Apple probably tried a little too hard to have the mac accepted as a "serious business computer" in the early days and the continuation of that trend meant they often ignored the needs of gamers. However, I've always found a lot of good games available on any mac I've owned, just not always the most current ones. If you haven't installed Openemu on your mac though you're missing out on a lot of great classic and retro games all neatly organized into one program. All you need to do is supply the ROMs and you're off and running. Good luck with your PC build. Every time I try to do that I give up after a couple months because of all the warez that tend to get installed on a PC connected to the internet. That never seems to happen on my macs for some reason.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Just when I was convinced this was probably a hoax, Atari confirms it's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1D3fUTFMM

Dr. MD MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZeHMYgPFPw

Haha - my Mac started to have cooling issues and I was pretty mortified when the tech opened it and it was full of cat hair that was jamming the fans. She said, "It's not as bad as the guy who just came in with a laptop full of ants and roaches."  :o
so I might assume your computer tech has the proper forensics education to distinguish between cat hair and PUBIC HAIR ?
ok...

ponyboysunset

I bought a used PlayStation 3 last week and I am loving South Park: The Stick of Truth. I also bought Skyrim and Katamari. You all have any other game recommendations for this platform?

Quote from: ponyboysunset on June 22, 2017, 03:52:07 AM
I bought a used PlayStation 3 last week and I am loving South Park: The Stick of Truth. I also bought Skyrim and Katamari. You all have any other game recommendations for this platform?

The Last of Us (imagine HBO had a brilliant crack at the zombie genre)
Fallout 3 (do it.)
Fallout New Vegas (do it.)
Bioshock 1 / 2 / Infinite (incredible atmosphere and storytelling)
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Studio Ghibli goodness, charming as all get out)
The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (made by a legit genius)
Uncharted 1 / 2 / 3 (better than most Hollywood action movies the past few decades)
Red Dead Redemption (wild west Skyrim)
Deadly Premonition (japanese Twin Peaks)

All of these are non negotiable, lol.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: malachi.martini 🍸 on June 22, 2017, 05:16:26 AM
The Last of Us (imagine HBO had a brilliant crack at the zombie genre)
Fallout 3 (do it.)
Fallout New Vegas (do it.)
Bioshock 1 / 2 / Infinite (incredible atmosphere and storytelling)
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Studio Ghibli goodness, charming as all get out)
The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (made by a legit genius)
Uncharted 1 / 2 / 3 (better than most Hollywood action movies the past few decades)
Red Dead Redemption (wild west Skyrim)
Deadly Premonition (japanese Twin Peaks)

All of these are non negotiable, lol.
Thank you kindly. I am noting these titles and they will be next on my list. I am pondering upgrading the hard drive. Seems easy enough and I can do it relatively cheaply.

zeebo

Quote from: ponyboysunset on June 22, 2017, 12:01:28 PM
Thank you kindly. I am noting these titles and they will be next on my list. I am pondering upgrading the hard drive. Seems easy enough and I can do it relatively cheaply.

Good reco's from Malachi.  As I've noted on this thread Fallout:NV is one of my fave games of recent years.  (I played it on PC but essentially the same game.)

I don't know PS3 games but there were a ton of good PS2 games, many of which are compatible according to this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

Of those I would highly recommend Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.  (Graphics are a little old by now but the story and gameplay are worth it.)

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on June 22, 2017, 04:34:21 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

From that list I would recommend Okami, which is a cell shaded adventure game which looks like a traditional Japanese painting and where you draw shapes to interact with the world/enemies. It might've gotten a PS3 release too.

I agree with malachi.martini on Red Dead Redemption - it's easily one of my favourite games. Bioshock is also a good series, but I personally prefer the setting of Bioshock Infinite over the other games. Other good games that might be worth a look at from that console generation and haven't been mentioned yet:

LA Noire (a police detective game set in 1950s Los Angeles where you find evidence and question suspects - has some very impressive facial animation technology)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection / Legacy Collection (includes multiple stealth/action games which have been discussed elsewhere in this thread)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (cyberpunk rpg with conspiracy theories)
Grand Theft Auto series (there's a reason why these games are super popular)

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on June 22, 2017, 06:04:46 PM
From that list I would recommend Okami, which is a cell shaded adventure game which looks like a traditional Japanese painting ...

Yes, cool, original game with great atmosphere, similar in that sense to Malachi's mention of Ico/SOTC.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection / Legacy Collection (includes multiple stealth/action games which have been discussed elsewhere in this thread)

Yes especially imho MGS 3: "Snake Eater".

Deus Ex Human Revolution (cyberpunk rpg with conspiracy theories)

Ha, I'm playing this now on PC and enjoying it alot.  It's actually a prequel to the original I mentioned above.

comaphobe

Are there any missing cutscenes or omitted gameplay segments from the HD version of MGS3? Is it a scene for scene upgrade? How many extras and bonus modes are there?

Taaroa

Quote from: comaphobe on June 22, 2017, 06:33:14 PM
Are there any missing cutscenes or omitted gameplay segments from the HD version of MGS3? Is it a scene for scene upgrade? How many extras and bonus modes are there?
I think it included most (but not all) of the stuff from Subsistence, those hidden frogs changed location, possibly extra facepaints and outfits, but otherwise was a scene for scene upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbfhmuxsorY

Taaroa

Speedrunners are crazy.

QuoteNeglecting babies in The Sims 4 doesn't result in their death, your kids just get taken away by child protective services. While grim, activating CPS has become its own category of speedrun now.

The current record holder, SimplySeze, managed this depressing task in about fifteen and a half minutes. The entire speedrun requires you to meet another sim, be impregnated by them, have the baby, and then have the baby taken away.

The key, after you impregnate your sim, is to get them to sleep as much as possible, which sets the game in a super fast forward. The sim will get through the pregnancy and their child's life in a matter of minutes.

https://youtu.be/qa_n9olxdPA

MV/Liberace!

Join me **now** for some Left 4 Dead on Steam.  I'm Falkie2013.

Taaroa

Seems like one of the former writers for Valve went and posted the plot that would've been used in Half Life 2: Episode 3.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/25/16202006/half-life-2-episode-3-plot-mark-laidlaw-valve