• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Stream! (No longer in service)

Started by fromwomewhere outthere, October 01, 2011, 11:51:55 PM

MV/Liberace!

linden... u think your shoutcast server can really handle the 10K listeners it's rated for?

linden2k

Only one way to find out! If we run into problems we're seeking elsewhere. Looking into some redundancy solutions right meow.

linden2k

Tons of listeners today so far. You people rule!

analog kid

I've heard some of my favorites. Thanks so much.

linden2k

We've got the classic Bugs episode playing at the moment. You've got to believe a guy named Bugs.

MV/Liberace!

you've peaked at 167 listeners already.  the power of coastgab!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 10, 2012, 01:44:26 AM

Lovely Bones

Quote from: linden2k on January 09, 2012, 12:32:42 PM
We plan to only stream Art Bell. All Art, all the time.

Thanks.  That's cool.  I was just curious about Ian. 

oracle

This is absolutely great... probably going to be listening to this instead of live radio at night.

coaster

Quote from: linden2k on January 10, 2012, 12:01:45 AM
We've got the classic Bugs episode playing at the moment. You've got to believe a guy named Bugs.
that was a great show. i've got insomnia, so this stream is very much appreciated. no more having to listen to noory to kill the time.

linden2k

We're thinking about starting a Noory stream for people who want to punish their children.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 10, 2012, 01:44:26 AM
George has to listen to something while he does show prep. 182 listeners.

I'm new to CoastGab, but I wanted to add my thanks to everyone who made the Art Bell stream possible. I haven't enjoyed c2c like this in a very long time, certainly since Snoory arrived. 

linden2k

Welcome aboard and thanks for listening!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: linden2k on January 10, 2012, 06:21:30 PM
We're thinking about starting a Noory stream for people who want to punish their children.

A Noory Stream would permanently unbalance the space-time continuum.

The General

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on January 10, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
I'm new to CoastGab, but I wanted to add my thanks to everyone who made the Art Bell stream possible. I haven't enjoyed c2c like this in a very long time, certainly since Snoory arrived.
welcome to coastgab.  I like your username.

jazmunda

It's great to have the Coastgab stream back in this new form. I never heard many, if any, repeats on the Coastgab stream. I was using the U7Radio stream as a substitute in Coastgab's absence but found it to be a poor substitute and often heard the same shows at almost the same time of day. I think it's really important to pace out the playlist so that when it repeats again it is at a totally different time of day.

Well done to all involved in this new project. Do you have a donation link for those who want to help out? Having run websites in the past I know how much time and effort and dollars is involved in providing a free service. It was always great when users contributed.

linden2k

Quote from: High Strangeness on January 10, 2012, 08:03:03 PM

A Noory Stream would permanently unbalance the space-time continuum.
In an alternate universe people may be saying these things about Art Bell.

linden2k

Quote from: jazmunda on January 10, 2012, 10:52:54 PM
Well done to all involved in this new project. Do you have a donation link for those who want to help out? Having run websites in the past I know how much time and effort and dollars is involved in providing a free service. It was always great when users contributed.

We will have some sort of donate link up on the site, once it is complete. Awesome of you to ask and stay tuned. Regarding the shows, our goal is to repeat as little as possible.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on January 10, 2012, 10:52:54 PM
I was using the U7Radio stream as a substitute in Coastgab's absence but found it to be a poor substitute and often heard the same shows at almost the same time of day.

the U7 stream sucks goat shaft.  i remember listening to his stream once and hearing one of the promos i used to play on my stream.  that meant he was getting shows by ripping audio from my stream and then sloppily dumping it onto his.  lame.  also, the U7 thing is an attempt at duplicating the coastgab community and splintering things.    he's got the forum on his website and the whole bit.  it's got 124 posts.  complete fail.  well done, mate.

MV/Liberace!

also, regarding the playlist, what i used to do was dump the ENTIRE library into a playlist and hit the randomize button.  simple as that.  it seemed to result in a nice spread of shows across an even variety of topics.  nobody complained, and i could let the stream machine run like that literally for months without even once touching it.  it would simply loop back to the beginning of the playlist and go through it all again.  by that time, however, nobody could possibly remember what shows played when, and it was fine for it to repeat the playlist.  i think i had enough shows for it to take over two months for a repeat to play.

linden2k

Yeah. We have about 100 shows in rotation. Right now mostly late  90s stuff. More is getting dropped in daily and, yes, shows won't repeat for weeks or months. Hundreds more will make their way in the mix.

linden2k

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 10, 2012, 11:03:52 PM

the U7 stream sucks goat shaft.  i remember listening to his stream once and hearing one of the promos i used to play on my stream.  that meant he was getting shows by ripping audio from my stream and then sloppily dumping it onto his.  lame. 

One of our main reasons for starting this stream was the frustration we were having with U7 and streams like it. U7 was continuously playing the same 20 or so 'greatest hits' that Art fans had already heard. We (me and the co-creator of the stream) were downloading torrents and trading shows to hopefully hear something that wasn't being rotated to death elsewhere. Now we've got Michael's collection on top of that, I hope people can tune in and maybe hear something 'new'. There are thousands of hours of shows out there.

linden2k

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 10, 2012, 11:03:52 PM
i remember listening to his stream once and hearing one of the promos i used to play on my stream.  that meant he was getting shows by ripping audio from my stream and then sloppily dumping it onto his.  lame.

I know I quoted it already, but that is just so lame. The Coastgab stream was awesome and the only reason I ever even gave U7 a shot was to fill the void it left.

Spinner

Quote from: linden2k on January 10, 2012, 11:16:25 PM
. . . Right now mostly late  90s stuff.
I "discovered" the Art Bell show in late 1997, so almost everything prior to that will be new to me. I can hardly wait!

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Spinner on January 11, 2012, 03:00:00 AM
I "discovered" the Art Bell show in late 1997, so almost everything prior to that will be new to me. I can hardly wait!

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so almost everything Fine Art streams will be new to me.

What a gift you guys are!  With Michael's stream being mixed in, we'll never have to listen to Noory again except for comic relief for coastgab.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on January 11, 2012, 11:16:08 AM
Get the toilet paper out. :P
No generic allowed, they are too rough to the touch.  Charmin, I am sure, would be George's choice.  Personally, I prefer Angel Soft. 

linden2k

We were down for a few minutes, trying to figure out what happened. We are back in business now, however.