• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Chefist on December 02, 2016, 09:56:20 PM
Savage's net worth is off the charts...Bell is insane to go to war with him...

His son is a multibillionaire and I imagine Michael is probably near there himself.  This is a bullshit lawsuit since Art's name wasn't even mentioned.  I dislike people who sue over every little thing.  That was one of my problems with Trump.  Art needs to develop a thicker skin.

As for him returning to the airwaves, I'll believe that when I see pigs flying. He has screwed over his audience one too many times methinks.  I would give him another chance but that is because I'm quite a forgiving old soul.

The General

Quote from: PaulAtreides on December 02, 2016, 12:43:58 PM
"At present, Mr. BELL is strongly considering resumption of his radio broadcasting and journalism careers," the complaint adds. "However, the Statement has harmed his professional reputation and is hindering his efforts to return to broadcasting and journalism." - See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/160340/art-and-airyn-bell-sue-michael-savage-for-defamati#sthash.1VH304CT.dpuf

Jeeeezus. 
Art, you can't be serious, man. 
Love ya buddy, but...
holy crap.

We all know that this is a pile of shit.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: The General on December 02, 2016, 10:34:12 PM
Jeeeezus. 
Love ya buddy, but...
holy crap.

Just trying to think with my lawyer cap on here but have any other radio personalities who are known to discuss UFOs moved to the PHILIPPINES in recent memory?

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 02, 2016, 10:28:40 PM
His son is a multibillionaire and I imagine Michael is probably near there himself.  This is a bullshit lawsuit since Art's name wasn't even mentioned.  I dislike people who sue over every little thing.  That was one of my problems with Trump.  Art needs to develop a thicker skin.

As for him returning to the airwaves, I'll believe that when I see pigs flying. He has screwed over his audience one too many times methinks.  I would give him another chance but that is because I'm quite a forgiving old soul.

It was a snarky thing for Savage to say - like something you would expect out of The Daily Show - Savage can do better.

I wish all the AB's well and that includes the presumably new AB on the way but I've lost all interest in any form of an Art return.
The Sirius all-in thing was pushing it but the Stalker deal finished it for me......

trostol

Jeeeezus. 
Love ya buddy, but...
holy crap.

you would think that..but all those on his FB are supporting him

SergeantMajor

Quote from: Damonâ,,¢ on December 02, 2016, 07:28:20 PM
Art and Mike are not rivals because art is not on the radio and Mike is not a quitter like art.

Dear Art,

We love you, we really do! In spite of all the trash we talk on this most excellent forum, PRAISE MV, we really love you! But this cry for attention is so pathetic. If you want attention, really good attention, take your show back from Witchie-poo! That will get you farther than your lawsuit!

PEACE, FREINDSHIP and of course

PRAISE MV

SergeantMajor

Jeeeezus. 
Love ya buddy, but...
holy crap.

Hey General, good to see you back! Where've you been?

Uncle Duke

Just noticed Cumulus is part of the suit.  Wasn't it Cumulus that was rumored to be in negotiations with Bell to carry MITD as a syndicated, over-the-air program a short while before he quit?

I despise Savage, but I hope he sees this through.  Bell is looking for publicity or an out-of-court, nuisance suit settlement, or both.  If Savage refuses to settle, or even apologize, Bell will be faced with either unilaterally dropping the suit or going to court.  I would think Bell would be setting himself (and his wife/co-plantiff) up for some potentially embarrassing questions that would directly relate to the claims of damages.

damon

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 02, 2016, 10:50:51 PM
Just noticed Cumulus is part of the suit.  Wasn't it Cumulus that was rumored to be in negotiations with Bell to carry MITD as a syndicated, over-the-air program a short while before he quit?

I despise Savage, but I hope he sees this through.  Bell is looking for publicity or an out-of-court, nuisance suit settlement, or both.  If Savage refuses to settle, or even apologize, Bell will be faced with either unilaterally dropping the suit or going to court.  I would think Bell would be setting himself (and his wife/co-plantiff) up for some potentially embarrassing questions that would directly relate to the claims of damages.
Art would had more of a case if he was still on the air.

akwilly

what next, are NFL players going to start suing NFL films for making them look like dumbasses on the follies shows?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Damonâ,,¢ on December 02, 2016, 10:54:20 PM
Art would had more of a case if he was still on the air.

Don't think so, at least based on the claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress as noted in the article. The damages being sought are not a function of the Savage's comments hurting his professional standing or any resulting loss of income in broadcasting as a result.  It's the comment about his wife that's at issue.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 02, 2016, 10:50:51 PM

Weiner has money and his son has LOTSA money associated from his "energy" drink and MMA stuff (I think, I forget what all) but Art is likely in his dotterage thinking it would be like his suit against Gunderson (and some others, and I think maybe WWCR) a while back when he still WAS on the air and also, Art thought, but they didn't (as I recall,) he would be backed up Premier. He and Rowland won, as I recall0 maybe it was settled after the iniital motion to dismiss wasn't allowed- which is still pretty rare for a public figure but then mentioned him BY NAME and made even worse allegations. And going after people with less deep pockets and when he was actually on the air and a public figure.
re: the non-compete. As I did then I played a lawyer on Bellgab and said at that time, without knowing the details of what he signed, that "non-competes" are, depending on the State, actually in practice often very difficult to enforce and many times aren't "worth it" for the Party that demanded them or even legally enforceable sometimes even by statute or case-law. But can, like a "letter from a lawyer," scare people to THINK they can't do something or owe something or have no redress under the law. Certain collection-agencies etc use this type of tactic also.

Art was banking on that Ed Dames gold, and now needs a revenue source to support his growing family.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 02, 2016, 11:02:01 PM
Don't think so, at least based on the claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress as noted in the article. The damages being sought are not a function of the Savage's comments hurting his professional standing or any resulting loss of income in broadcasting as a result.  It's the comment about his wife that's at issue.
Playing lawyer here. If anything maybe ART is responsible for making his current wife's name (and daughter's) name "out there" to the public. I've never understood this, though appreciate wanting to be 'family' with his fans, etc, filling dead-space, making conversation, etc but I was always against him talking about his family life (or any public guy.) There are creeps out there and what good can come of it? As a non public figure, but just normal person, she would have a greater claim because the burden of proof from them is less (don't need to prove "actual malice" but just false statements, harm to reputation, etc f some national radio host defamed her but, argubaly, since Art broadcasted her name and history etc she now public? In which case her attorneys would need to prove Weiner had "actual malice" intent, in addition to the other stuff?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Tricky-D on December 02, 2016, 11:04:04 AM
Art Bell and his wife sue Michael Savage and Westwood One for defamation.

Bell says Westwood should’ve hit the dump button on his September 25 show, when Savage allegedly said this â€" “You say ‘UFOs’ [on a radio show], you wind up in the Philippines with a ten-year-old hooker and you are off the radio after a number of years...That’s an in-joke, by the way, for people who understand the business.” Former “Coast to Coast” personality Art Bell says the industry should know his story â€" that he married his wife Airyn Ruiz Bell in the Philippines when she was 22, not 10. The suit says she “has never been a prostitute.” And that the reason he’s “off the radio” is not “because he discussed UFOs or married Ms. Bell.” The couple’s been married ten years and have a daughter, and their suit says they “demanded that defendants make a correction or retraction of the defamatory statement.” But neither was forthcoming. The named defendants in the suit filed in federal court are Michael Alan Weiner, known professionally as Michael Savage. Syndicator Westwood One. And its parent Cumulus. The Bells are suing in the Bay Area because Savage is based there.

The Bells admit that Michael Savage didn’t mention their names.

But their defamation suit says “a listener of the program would understand” that Art Bell was the subject of the gibe about marrying “a 10-year-old hooker” in the Philippines and as a result being off the air. Savage didn’t launch his September 25 routine talking about another talk-show host. He wandered there, while musing about the topics he usually eschews â€" “I generally avoid gun questions. I know from the first day in radio. I learned you never do certain topics where you can destroy your show. Third rail...You say ‘UFOs,’ you wind up in the Philippines” â€" and you know the rest. The Bell suit alleges that “Cumulus and Westwood failed to exercise due care and adhere to standard radio broadcast industry practice, by not utilizing the delay button.” The suit then covers the legal ground for defamation â€" “reckless disregard for the truth” and “cognition that such broadcast would defame and disparage plaintiffs.” Art was inducted into the Chicago-based National Radio Hall of Fame in 2008, after ending his 19-year stint as full-time host of “Coast to Coast AM.” He did some guest-hosting after that, then returned in Summer 2015 with his own “Midnight in the Desert.” He says he halted that show after receiving a death threat. The Bells’ lawsuit was filed by the L.A.-based Gerard Fox Law P.C.

Source:  http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=78b390ff9f5b002e3f050238c&id=5d1570be71&e=f696fcad34

Not the best idea. If you're gonna play the celebrity lawsuit game, you should actually have a show where you can potentially defend it. Savage does. Art does not. Not good. Just a way to be painted as a whackjob by someone more relevant than you are.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 02, 2016, 11:44:15 PM
Not the best idea. If you're gonna play the celebrity lawsuit game, you should actually have a show where you can potentially defend it. Savage does. Art does not. Not good. Just a way to be painted as a whackjob by someone more relevant than you are.

I doubt it. Art has had a long career in radio and can claim damages to future revenues. For all the hoopla, this will most likely be settled out of court.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 02, 2016, 11:46:23 PM
I doubt it. Art has had a long career in radio and can claim damages to future revenues. For all the hoopla, this will most likely be settled out of court.  ;)
Maybe it is the long-con or even corporate fighting and Rowland/Heather/Art is just trying to fight against each other, and maybe use BG to supeona identities and comments in the suit later, and the lawyers are funded by IHate, Premier to try to damage their also herromaging money/assets competitors in the shattered radio/media market like Westwood One and Cumulous and using Art and/or Rowland as a proxy in this war?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on December 02, 2016, 11:50:51 PM
Maybe it is the long-con or even corporate fighting and Rowland/Heather/Art is just trying to fight against each other, and maybe use BG to supeona identities and comments in the suit later, and the lawyers are funded by IHate, Premier to try to damage their also herromaging money/assets competitors in the shattered radio/media market like Westwood One and Cumulous and using Art and/or Rowland as a proxy in this war?

highly dubious.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 02, 2016, 11:52:58 PM
highly dubious.
Yeah but wanted to "Alex Jones" or "Bill Cooper" the situation. For kicks. I don't like Weiners allegations or, I guess more properly allussions, because it is in bad form and why? I also think Art is crazy to go after him for them. But, maybe, "any publicity is good publicity" but...for what? Thinking a quick settlement? (Often happens?) Really trying to come-back (I'll believe it when I see it.) Or just random outrage and thin-skin? Idk. I recall that Rowland was involved in the Gunderson/etc/WWCR lawsuit but Preimer didn't support him (I could be wrong.) I want to see that ACTUAL public filing of this latest one. If filed it should be a public record at some point.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on December 03, 2016, 12:00:19 AM
Yeah but wanted to "Alex Jones" or "Bill Cooper" the situation. For kicks. I don't like Weiners allegations or, I guess more properly allussions, because it is in bad form and why? I also think Art is crazy to go after him for them. But, maybe, "any publicity is good publicity" but...for what? Thinking a quick settlement? (Often happens?) Really trying to come-back (I'll believe it when I see it.) Or just random outrage and thin-skin? Idk. I recall that Rowland was involved in the Gunderson/etc/WWCR lawsuit but Preimer didn't support him (I could be wrong.) I want to see that ACTUAL public filing of this latest one. If filed it should be a public record at some point.

I really doubt he'd be doing this for publicity. It's probably more a matter of honor for him. Who knows if he's actually planning another comeback?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 03, 2016, 12:03:41 AM
I really doubt he'd be doing this for publicity. It's probably more a matter of honor for him. Who knows if he's actually planning another comeback?

Well he has a show.  Maybe not for long though. I'm sure Heather is ready to give it back to the Master.  Heather can go back to being producer.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 03, 2016, 12:09:33 AM
Well he has a show.  Maybe not for long though. I'm sure Heather is ready to give it back to the Master.  Heather can go back to being producer.

We would all like that but is it really going to happen?  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 03, 2016, 12:11:36 AM
We would all like that but is it really going to happen?  ???

Like I said earlier, pigs will fly before it happens.

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on December 02, 2016, 09:50:51 PM
All the Savage you could ever want here, http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

peace
Hog
Grassy-Ass, as our friends to the south say.  Wow, I'm surprised Cumulous or Weiner allows this site. I support the idea that more access is a better business model but so many, like IHate and Hendrie and etc, always try to eliminate archivists or online streaming podcasts that is not in "not their model," as RCH might say. Thanks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hog on December 02, 2016, 09:50:51 PM
All the Savage you could ever want here, http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

peace
Hog

Wow, and it has an RSS feed so you can subscribe as a podcast. Thanks.

Dateline

I see him planning for a college trust fund for the family.

Dateline

I can also see Savage becoming a member of Bellgab and subpoenaing all of the Art Bell threads for evidence.

Which attorney do you think is representing Art?

http://www.gerardfoxlaw.com/our-attorneys/

My money is on Karen Jung.

Maybe we should change the name of the forum to Savagegab.  I bet Art would blow a gasket if that happened.