• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 24, 2011, 08:11:01 PM
I loved Falk in It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

yeah and in WIngs of Desire.

Art

Clarence Clemons, E Street Band, the last sax player in a rock band?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Art on July 01, 2011, 10:35:38 AM

Pretty much, there were E Street imitators like John Cafferty/Beaver Brown Band...or the derivative "blooze" George Throrogood. Alto Reed with Bob Seger would qualify since Springsteen/Seger were somewhat concurrent(Reed joined Seger circa 1972). But overall, the idea of a permanent sax player in a rock band is a long gone concept.

b_dubb

don't forget about Morphine

timpate

Ryan Dunn From jackass. Hey michael I tried to email you from two locations and here on the site the pm deal did not work.

anagrammy

Quote from: timpate on July 01, 2011, 02:13:04 PM
Ryan Dunn From jackass. Hey michael I tried to email you from two locations and here on the site the pm deal did not work.

I tried to PM someone I had never PM'd before and got a message the poster had blocked me. I wonder if it isn't a forum bug.

Ana

MV/Liberace!

...the last sax player in a rock band?
one could only hope.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: timpate on July 01, 2011, 02:13:04 PM
Don't know why... and my gmail is working fine, too.

timpate

That's strange. I tried to email you on Gmail did not work.

The General

Betty Ford

passed away July 8, 2011.

b_dubb

President Ford called for serious inquiry into UFO's (when he was Senator from Michigan) during a pretty serious spate of UFO sightings during the sixties.  one of the early instances where Hynek was called in to carry water for Project Bluebook

anagrammy

Too bad these people take everything to their graves.  Wonder if they ever think they could benefit humanity with leaving a legacy of a little truth.

Anagrammy

anagrammy

Amy Winehouse has died.  So sad, so young and so much music still inside her....

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

M Knight

...and the advocates fall silent as another one falls, albeit ever so briefly, and darkly spent.

JustOneFix

Quote from: anagrammy on July 23, 2011, 01:10:31 PM
Amy Winehouse has died.  So sad, so young and so much music still inside her....

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

I'm surprised she lasted this long, with all the drug & drink problems she had.

HAL 9000

Quote from: anagrammy on July 23, 2011, 01:10:31 PM

Something tells me whatever music she had inside her is now decomposing (pun intended).

I've never been accused of being non-judgmental, and now is no exception... I had never heard any of her songs, so I listened to a couple - and was very surprised... I expected at least a morsel of talent, but found none. There are so many talented people in the world with angelic voices, but never receive the recognition they deserve.

But here we have a rich, selfish, talentless media whore, and she is somehow revered - I don't get it. Her, and her ilk (Charlie Sheen, L. Lohan etc.) are blessed with all one could desire, and surrounded by many who care for them, but they all make conscious decisions to throw it all away.

As a Libertarian-leaning individual, I respect one's right to throw their life/lives away - well done Miss Winehouse. Charlie... Lindsay... you listening? Are you far behind?

What a skank.

Looks like she'd fit in on almost any urban seedy street corner

[/rantoff]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eddie Coyle

The death cult is already foaming at the mouth, "she's part of the 27 club" etc. I've heard comparisons to Janis Joplin, but it seems to me her final month resembles Hendrix. Apparently Winehouse got booed off the stage in what would be her swan song appearance...just like Jimi was in Germany in early Sept '70. Less than 2 weeks later he was dead. If they're on a death trip  nobody is going to prevent it from happening.

pabigfoot

We now see the unfortunate death of Amy Winehouse, not my particular cup of tea, but nevertheless quite predictable with her lifestyle. It seems that when you reach a certain level of stardom/celebrity, you become insulated from anybody who-like the old dutch uncle of lore-will tell you to get your act together; i.e. somebody to keep you tethered to reality. Instead, the celebrity is surrounded by leeches of the most despicable type who are there to glean whatever they can for their own self-serving purposes. Apparently, Amy has joined the famous "27" club talked about on C2C in several shows.

b_dubb

seeing people suffer generally makes me sad.  rich or poor.  there's a whole mess of circumstance that goes into fucking someone up like that.  and i won't pass judgement. 

EvB

Quote from: b_dubb on July 24, 2011, 11:42:35 AM
seeing people suffer generally makes me sad.  rich or poor.  there's a whole mess of circumstance that goes into fucking someone up like that.  and i won't pass judgement.

I agree b_dubb. 

I do feel she was an enormous talent. I loved her humor, her honesty, her poetry, and her gritty contralto voice. Was she controversial? Hell yes.  But, IMO, most of the fussing about her was petty 'better than' bullshit.  Worse, much of it was misogynistic. While many male celebrities live outrageous lives, and live them more publicly than Winehouse, the way we criticize them seems somehow less hateful and hostile.  (There are exceptions, of course, there are always exceptions to generalizations.)

Was Amy Winehouse a beacon of strength and virtue?  NO!  But how many of us are?  How many of our lives could stand up to the scrutiny celebrites endure?  And, Winehouse was not the media whore so many celebrites are. She did nothing to attract the attention she received other than to be eccentric, and, when her inner demons were not driving her to drugs, an engaging performer.

I liked Edward Champion's blog post addressing those who loved to hate her.

Many will disagree. it goes without saying that that is their right. What i find distasteful are not the arguments over her talent, or the degree to which she brought her end upon herself.  What i find distasteful are the (thankfully few - and elsewhere - here people seem to well balanced) posts that actually celebrate her death, as if it is some cultural victory.

Afixer

Quote from: EvB on July 24, 2011, 12:49:28 PM
I agree b_dubb. 

I do feel she was an enormous talent. I loved her humor, her honesty, her poetry, and her gritty contralto voice. Was she controversial? Hell yes.  But, IMO, most of the fussing about her was petty 'better than' bullshit.  Worse, much of it was misogynistic. While many male celebrities live outrageous lives, and live them more publicly than Winehouse, the way we criticize them seems somehow less hateful and hostile.  (There are exceptions, of course, there are always exceptions to generalizations.)

Was Amy Winehouse a beacon of strength and virtue?  NO!  But how many of us are?  How many of our lives could stand up to the scrutiny celebrites endure?  And, Winehouse was not the media whore so many celebrites are. She did nothing to attract the attention she received other than to be eccentric, and, when her inner demons were not driving her to drugs, an engaging performer.

Many will disagree. it goes without saying that that is their right. What i find distasteful are not the arguments over her talent, or the degree to which she brought her end upon herself.  What i find distasteful are the (thankfully few - and elsewhere - here people seem to well balanced) posts that actually celebrate her death, as if it is some cultural victory.

My sentiments exactly. Well stated.

Rest in peace.

onan

Quote from: the_wanderer on August 05, 2011, 02:00:37 PM
If no one else in this forum has the balls to rip you a new asshole, I will as I do, you **REMOVED**  I'll be happy to oblige.

**REMOVED** judge anyone especially musicians, writers, artists, filmmakers,...  you listened to a couple of songs and now you're some righteous tin god who can judge.  As one who has been around people in the music and film "biz", I've seen many get overwhelmed by personal demons, some have the strength to overcome.  You have no fucking clue what's it's like to be a celebrity.  She won 5 Grammy before 24 years old, **REMOVED**

As someone does paint, write, produce, I can say **REMOVED**

Quote "What a skank. Looks like she'd fit in on almost any urban seedy street corner."  Unquote

**REMOVED**

Admin Note:  First off, you used the quote system incorrectly.  I fixed that for you.  Second, flaming is not allowed on this forum, regardless of how much you might believe someone deserves it.  This is clearly laid out in the Terms of Service.  Either you haven't read the TOS or you've chosen to ignore it.  Either way, you would be well advised to spend five minutes reading it.  The TOS can be viewed by clicking the link at the top of the page.

dadgummit, I wasn't able to respond to this post earlier. Now all the poetry has been (approrpriately so) deleted.

First off, my father-in-law passed away on tuesday morning. So been traveling back and forth between all the families... well you understand.

So to the point. Although Hal could have used a more sympathetic approach; the assessment of the situation didn't misrepresent the actual event. Hal's opinions were quite obvious and easily separated from the facts.

I do not know Hal. I do not think we would be bff's. What I do know is Hal works or at least did work with (in some fashion) with children in an intensive care setting. I also know Hal has probably never won a grammy. Much less 5 of them. Neither have I and more importantly I doubt Wandy, you have either.

Here is what I can most precisely tell you, Wandy, I think that and the work Hal does is significantly more important than all of your grammy winners combined.

More to the point. I appreciate art on a few levels. I don't worship art. I hate artists, well the ones with attitudes like yours. Artists are, generally speaking, mooches on society at large attempting to promote some vision that will inspire all the lower brows.

Even more to the point, you posted a link to a video about life and death positing it would somehow make us better... yes I am conjecturing... because I doubt anything you find important is anything new to anyone above a second year high school student. Be that as it may, what a hypocritical position. All life is important... all life is not important... a wonderful conundrum and prescient/salient point. Only to be followed with the petulance of a spoiled bully. I am pretty sure you will not even read my post... you are so open to those that disagree with you.
But in hopes you do... you have anger issues, or you are the frikken best troll evah. Tell ya what, to quote Christopher Titus "Get down off that cross, take the wood, build a bridge, and get over it." Seriously get help. If someone I was assessing spoke in the manner you did in your post I would have them committed for evaluation.

The General

I liked Amy Winehouse.  She had a cool style and a great voice.  But the truth is, she simply got what she'd been asking for all these years, a drug overdose.  If you're going to play Russian roulette with a needle, you're going to end up dead sooner or later, and you won't get any sympathy from me.  And don't tell me she had a 'disease.'  She made a choice every time she picked up her kit.

anagrammy

Sarah Silverman should play Amy in the movie.  As far as her talent goes, you don't win awards when you have no talent. 

Ana

b_dubb

i don't understand the passive/active animosity towards Amy Winehouse.  she hasn't (post-humously) asked for pity.

MV/Liberace!

Nice post, Onan. A home run.

Sent from my Droid X.

aldousburbank

Fred Imus died in my hometown, Tucson, recently- http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto/2011/08/09/remembering-fred-imus  I would run into Fred at the local baseball games and we would chat.  He always struck me as a weird and friendly homeboy.  Later Fred.  Have a good one in God's trailer park beyond!

b_dubb

i feel like we should mention Coast To Coast Am here.  if not dead, certainly dying.  the more i listen to noory's shows the more i get the feeling that come 2013 ... C2C will cease to exist and be replaced by a more general themed show.  at the moment they're driving Coast into the ground and it doesn't seem like anyone at the network/show cares to change anything

Scully

Quote from: b_dubb on September 17, 2011, 12:22:11 PM
i feel like we should mention Coast To Coast Am here.  if not dead, certainly dying.  the more i listen to noory's shows the more i get the feeling that come 2013 ... C2C will cease to exist and be replaced by a more general themed show.  at the moment they're driving Coast into the ground and it doesn't seem like anyone at the network/show cares to change anything

I'm with you, b_dubb. That is exactly how I'm feeling.  After hearing that Thursday night the Idiot said he's starting an 8-year flying leap at the moon, and then that Friday night he said New World Order/alternative medicine shows have won the day, a funeral for Coast seems totally appropriate now.

I didn't hear those shows myself. Maybe Noory was just talking in riddles as usual? If not, get out the black crepe, please.  :'( 

EastCoastLady

Quote from: EvB on July 24, 2011, 12:49:28 PM
I agree b_dubb. 

Thank you for this thoughtful post. You said it much better than I could have.
Old news but pertinent - she didn't die from illegal drug use. She was off drugs. Alcohol killed her.