• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

mainstream rock is dead

Started by abbajc, February 16, 2013, 12:23:21 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on February 16, 2013, 11:12:37 PM
Eddie Coyle just might have the best musical taste here. And I say that as a gabster who was himself introduced into the Court of The Crimson King when it could still be heard on radio.

Think I'll light a candle and listen to "Bridge of Sighs" or maybe "Starship Trooper"....

Thanks, I listen to what my young parents should have been listening to when I arrived in '75. However, they were Captain and Tenille/Carpenters/Anne Murray fans...so my tastes don't come from them. I still have fevered dreams about hearing "The Way We Were", "The Hustle", "Love Will Keep Us Together", "Theme from Mahogany" when I was in the crib-the torture. My crib death would have been suicide.

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 16, 2013, 10:39:52 PM

Eddie, it might be love. ;-) I'll make up the spare bed for you. Shall I expect you at 8:00? ;-)
AM or PM?

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM

♫ Keep in mind I'm someone who still thinks Chicago and Phil Collins are great, ♫ and have a man-crush on Josh Groban's music (last two albums excepted).
I've always been more of a Gabriel guy than a Collins guy, especially when it comes to their solo careers, but I have been on a Genesis kick after not listening to them for a while, and I have to say, I undervalued Phil-lead Genesis.  Trick of the Tail is stellar, and And Then There Were Three is pretty good, too.

Sardondi

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 16, 2013, 11:26:14 PM
Wow. I never would have thought... I like to think I have good taste in music, keeping in mind I do differentiate between music and noise (realizing it's subjective). But wow, after reading through numerous music threads, I am completely out of the fucking loop.

I could not name one song by almost any group mentioned on CG, and have never even heard of the names of about > 95% of the bands/musicians mentioned.

♫ Keep in mind I'm someone who still thinks Chicago and Phil Collins are great, ♫ and have a man-crush on Josh Groban's music (last two albums excepted).

Quote from: Usagi on February 16, 2013, 11:39:55 PM

Fear not, Hal.  I listen to Chicago while cleaning the house.  :o  (I won't mention my opinion of Josh Groban, though, out of courtesy.)

Sorry, while I can appreciate Chicago's musicianship and their groundbreaking fusion and the way they brought a jazz influence to rock in the early 70's, I gave up on them myself after Chicago VI, and "Feelin' Stronger Every Day", the last Chicago chart song I really liked. You realize the horns and woodwinds which form the backbone of Chicago have been together for 46 years, right? That's almost as distressing to contemplate as the fact the Rolling Stones core (Jagger/Richard and Watts a year later) have been together 50 years. I'd still much rather listen to current Chicago than current RS, who are just so incredibly lame.

I know it's too much to think gazillionaires like Jagger/Richard would care, but I would like to think I'd be embarrassed to know many of my (former?) fans believe I peaked 41 years ago when the sexual perversity and drug profligacy of myself and my songwriting buddy finally scared off the rhythm guitarist and second lead in what is universally acknowledged as by far the best lineup the band ever had, in which we produced our two masterpiece albums. But that's just me. Mick instead probably impregnated another Carioca; and Keef doubtless did enough Boy to kill a mastodon by hitting his last usable vein in the back of his right eyeball.

Quote from: Sardondi on February 17, 2013, 01:00:00 AM
That's almost as distressing to contemplate as the fact the Rolling Stones core (Jagger/Richard and Watts a year later) have been together 50 years. I'd still much rather listen to current Chicago than current RS, who are just so incredibly lame.
Uh, the new Stones tune is pretty awesome.  Makes Chicago sound like, ummm.......Chicago.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rPFGWVKXxm0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrPFGWVKXxm0[/size]

[/size]

analog kid

Eddie Coyle just might have the best musical taste here. And I say that as a gabster who was himself introduced into the Court of The Crimson King when it could still be heard on radio.

Think I'll light a candle and listen to "Bridge of Sighs" or maybe "Starship Trooper"....

Definitely agree with that.

Juan

I've just been recruited to play in a geezer band.  That has me listening to Sinatra, Buble, Bennett, etc.  I'm sneaking in some Eliane Elias, Diana Krall - Corea and Coltrane.
I stopped listening to Chicago albums made after Terry Kath offed himself. Idiot.

Keep posting this stuff.  I'm learning about music I've never heard of before.

Besides, I thought the death of rock was Bush's fault. The first one.  Throw in a few death throes of grunge, then death.

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 17, 2013, 05:05:44 AM
I've just been recruited to play in a geezer band.  That has me listening to Sinatra, Buble, Bennett, etc.....
40's music puts a smile on my face. So wonderful.

...I stopped listening to Chicago albums made after Terry Kath offed himself. Idiot....
That's a pretty good spot...and reason...to break.

...Besides, I thought the death of rock was Bush's fault. The first one.  Throw in a few death throes of grunge, then death....
I haven't listened to more than in-the-car snatches since then. And I don't feel like I've missed a thing.

Caruthers612

Oh, Sar, if ever I wanted to massage your buttocks, that time is now...

"There's a time...and the time is now and it's right for me..."

McPhallus

I stopped listening to Chicago albums made after Terry Kath offed himself. Idiot.

I always heard this was an accident occurring while he was cleaning a gun?

Sardondi

Quote from: McPhallus on February 17, 2013, 10:35:10 AM
I always heard this was an accident occurring while he was cleaning a gun?

"See? It's not even load..."

Juan

At the time, the story was that Kath loved to play Russian roulette - and it finally caught up with him.  But an Internet search shows he was just fooling around with guns at Don Johnson's house (not that Don Johnson), picked up a 9mm, inserted an empty magazine and pulled the trigger.  There was a round in the chamber that he didn't account for.

You young'uns who don't remember should know that Jimi Hendrix once said that Kath was a better guitar player than him.  He was quite innovative and ahead of his time.

Ipokesmot

Quote from: abbajc on February 16, 2013, 12:23:21 PM
how many rock fans feel that mainstream rock is dead
in the 90's it was nirvana and the  grunge era
after kurt killed himself it seemed like rock is dead
do think mainstream rock is dead

Agreed, and it just keeps getting worse.  It was around 1994 when metal was totally abandoned and all these bland, effeminate "Alternative Rock" bands started crawling out.  These days it's just autotuned crap, and hip-hop garbage.  I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years and never will.  Sooner or later what's left of the record industry will go broke hopefully.

And Metallica can go to hell.. they haven't put out a great album since Justice.  Last time they were in town they were charging $100 for a show, LOL no way.

The main reason for music sucking in the last 20 years? Well it rhymes with "Poo".  ;)

Quote from: Ipokesmot on February 17, 2013, 05:11:26 PM
Agreed, and it just keeps getting worse.  It was around 1994 when metal was totally abandoned and all these bland, effeminate "Alternative Rock" bands started crawling out.  These days it's just autotuned crap, and hip-hop garbage.  I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years and never will.  Sooner or later what's left of the record industry will go broke hopefully.

And Metallica can go to hell.. they haven't put out a great album since Justice.  Last time they were in town they were charging $100 for a show, LOL no way.

The main reason for music sucking in the last 20 years? Well it rhymes with "Poo".  ;)

Every so often metal comes out of the underground, changes a little and then goes back. Eventually it will be in the spotlight again. It will be a refreshing change from all that emo bullshit.

Ipokesmot

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 17, 2013, 05:19:39 PM
Every so often metal comes out of the underground, changes a little and then goes back. Eventually it will be in the spotlight again. It will be a refreshing change from all that emo bullshit.

Lately I've been checking out metal bands from Poland... really cool stuff.  As usual, Europe has all the good stuff while we sit here in crap.

Usagi

Quote from: Ipokesmot on February 17, 2013, 05:20:47 PM
As usual, Europe has all the good stuff while we sit here in crap.

That's important to note.  Who care's about Metallica when you have some true Epicness going on?

Amon Amarth - "Runes to My Memory" Metal Blade Records

CELTIC FROST - A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Quote from: Ipokesmot on February 17, 2013, 05:11:26 PM
8)

Ipokesmot

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on February 17, 2013, 05:52:11 PM
8)

;D Along with everything else they control.. movies, TV, *radio*... it all sucks.

mombird3

I grew up with the Sinatra songs my parents loved. I agree Chicago was better in the early albums. Some of the stuff from that time was really good. Kids do not get it today.
Diana Krall produced Barbra Streisand's 2010 album to keep it as a Jazz version. It was good. Barbra  Streisand's voice is suited to the more Pop or R&B style. The last two albums I have with her are good, but I prefer the "Way WE Were" as the older style. I have to say that the new music of today I just do not get. Very "A tonal" to me. Maybe it is me. 
I think rock music died somewhere in the "80s" music. I hate heavy metal. It sad that the old groups are getting old.
I like some Jazz. Love the Stan Getz bossa nova era. I grew up with that. I like Dina Washington. I only like some of the Billie Holiday stuff.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 16, 2013, 03:56:16 PM
        I'd like to know what others are listening to. I tend to think we're probably a bit eccentric and not predictable top 40 listeners.

I just discovered T. Rex so I have been listening to The Slider/Electric Warrior/Bolans Zip Gun.

And oddly enough, the film score to Godzilla vs Mothra.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 18, 2013, 09:27:51 PM

I just discovered T. Rex so I have been listening to The Slider/Electric Warrior/Bolans Zip Gun.

Quite the career arc for Bolan, from struggling hippie-dippie acoustic pyschedelic to glam rock superstar in the course of a year or two...to has been left in the dust by acolyte Bowie by '74. The early stuff is quite different than the T Rex/Electric Warrior/Slider/Tanx peak years of 1970-73. Interesting stuff though.

Sardondi

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 18, 2013, 09:27:51 PM

I just discovered T. Rex so I have been listening to The Slider/Electric Warrior/Bolans Zip Gun....

Marc Bolan was something. Talk about ahead of your time. It's hard to believe that some 45 years ago there were these rockers who were wildly androgynous, or outrageously bi or even outright gay or playing it that way à la Bowie, and there often wasn't that big a deal made out of it. As I recall it, the folks in the US who you would have thought would have made the biggest stink about Bolan/T. Rex just didn't know or simply thought Bolan's camp was a weird stage act. As evidence that such folks didn't really have an eye for those kind of things, I remember there being a mini-uproar, very early in their careers, about 1973, about Aerosmith and KISS being "gay". Jeez Louise (Okay, so one in KISS was). It wasn't long before evangelists were panicking parents with their message that KISS were sworn minions of Lucifer, because everybody knew their name meant "Kings In Satan's Service". I'm not making this up. You know - somebody told somebody who heard it from somebody else, and pretty soon there're stories about child sacrifices in hotel rooms. Still, T. Rex - waaay ahead of their time.

*edit*
Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 18, 2013, 09:35:28 PM
       Quite the career arc for Bolan, from struggling hippie-dippie acoustic pyschedelic to glam rock superstar in the course of a year or two...to has been left in the dust by acolyte Bowie by '74. The early stuff is quite different than the T Rex/Electric Warrior/Slider/Tanx peak years of 1970-73. Interesting stuff though.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on February 18, 2013, 09:56:14 PM
Marc Bolan was something. Talk about ahead of your time. It's hard to believe that some 45 years ago there were these rockers who were wildly androgynous, or outrageously bi or even outright gay or playing it that way à la Bowie, and there often wasn't that big a deal made out of it. As I recall it, the folks in the US who you would have thought would have made the biggest stink about Bolan/T. Rex just didn't know or simply thought Bolan's camp was a weird stage act. As evidence that such folks didn't really have an eye for those kind of things, I remember there being a mini-uproar, very early in their careers, about 1973, about Aerosmith and KISS being "gay". Jeez Louise (Okay, so one in KISS was). It wasn't long before evangelists were panicking parents with their message that KISS were sworn minions of Lucifer, because everybody knew their name meant "Kings In Satan's Service". I'm not making this up. You know - somebody told somebody who heard it from somebody else, and pretty soon there're stories about child sacrifices in hotel rooms. Still, T. Rex - waaay ahead of their time.
Bolan,Bowie,Lou Reed...eventually the New York Dolls, they were trying to out homo each other. Though Bowie, as his success rose, began to walk back his "gay" declarations of 1971. Funny how that works. But the biggest queen was the mega flop Jobriath, who said unlike Bowie he was a "true fairy". To prove his bona fides? Well, he has the ignominy of being the first AIDS casualty in rock(8/3/83)

As a three year old in '78, one whose landlord's four kids went as KISS for Halloween, I was scared SHITLESS of KISS, Gene Simmons in particular. But by May 1979, I was no longer scared. I was still only 3, but "I Was Made For Lovin' You"'s jaunty disco gloss made them less scary. Gene's blood spitting was reduced. If I knew what gay was at the time, I would have called them that.

Eddie Coyle

Nobody asked, but here's Coyle's playlist since Sunday morning. Shockingly, it includes something released in this millenium. Of course, by an old timer.

David Bowie    Stage, 1978
       Jimi Hendrix    Crash Landing 1975/ Midnight Lightning 1975
       Joe Walsh         Barnstorm, 1972
       Eric Burdon/The Animals     Love Is, 1968
       John Mayall    Blues From Laurel Canyon, 1968
       The Kinks      Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround, 1970
        Jethro Tull      Benefit 1970 / Thick as a Brick 1972
        Deep Purple    Book of Talisyn, 1968
        Fairport Convention   Unhalfbricking, 1969
        Richard Thompson     Electric, 2013(!)
        Bob Dylan           Real Live, 1984
        Joni Mitchell         The Hissing of Summer Lawns, 1975