• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 27, 2016, 03:13:03 PM
That's a good, kind of existential, question:  which is the real Heather?  The fun, happy cohost joking with her friends, or the insecure, out-of-her-depth one we see now?  The good people who've mined her posting history have turned up a few examples showing she took Art's situation a little more seriously than most (e. g. begging him to call her when she thought he was suicidal), and one gets the sense through her criticisms of Noory that it wasn't all fun and games, but only her cohosts would know for sure -- was she always a little too intense?

The answer is probably both, but I like to simplify things and think the "real" person emerges under stress, and that refinements like humor and insouciance are luxuries we don when we can afford to.  Despite all the lecturing about on-air personas we got re: Art, I think they're difficult to maintain for hours a night.  I think we got to know Art pretty well over all those years.  His recent behavior disappointed me, but it did not surprise.

I still hold out hope Heather's fun, carefree side will re-emerge with time, but there's precious little evidence of it even though her callers seem to find increasingly tortured ways of complimenting her -- I think even her fans sense her insecurity, which we'd have to say now is fundamental.

Insecurity gets it.

Quote from: bateman on September 27, 2016, 01:24:10 AM
Funny thing about all that - remember the night Hoagland was bombarded with prank calls? Two of them were from Art using a soundboard.

P.S. did she say she was just rattling your cage?

God dammit, bateman. "Was she just rattling yo--AHHHHHH!" *cans.wav* Dirty Dish rag phone sex operators!

K_Dubb

You know, I do remember a circumstance where MV himself defended her before she took over in a manner that surprised me, as it came out of nowhere, lacking any public context.  Inferring some behind-the-scenes angst as its source, may we not, without resorting to any suggestion of a familial or improper relationship between Art and Heather, at least say that she is capable of displaying her insecurities in a way that provokes a paternalistic protection from men?  She probably thinks she owes her job to this, so continues to mine that vein as a matter of survival.

Apologies to everyone who figured this out months ago.  As I get older I realize how truly naïf I am in the ways of the world.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 27, 2016, 03:40:15 PM
You know, I do remember a circumstance where MV himself defended her before she took over in a manner that surprised me, as it came out of nowhere, lacking any public context.  Inferring some behind-the-scenes angst as its source, may we not, without resorting to any suggestion of a familial or improper relationship between Art and Heather, at least say that she is capable of displaying her insecurities in a way that provokes a paternalistic protection from men?  She probably thinks she owes her job to this, so continues to mine that vein as a matter of survival.

Apologies to everyone who figured this out months ago.  As I get older I realize how truly naïf I am in the ways of the world.

Remember how the some of the women folk on here were trying to stoke the 'sexism' angle? LOL. Ambition blinded them to her glaring faults. (Just like with Hillary...)

Roswells, Art

Quote from: rekcuf on September 27, 2016, 03:46:30 PM
Remember how the some of the women folk on here were trying to stoke the 'sexism' angle?

I remember Art doing that.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: mv on September 27, 2016, 12:53:21 AM
She has a rather impressive number of online listeners, actually.

It is impressive how someone could lose 30k subs + all the free listeners.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 27, 2016, 03:53:25 PM

#notart

Roswells, Art

Quote from: rekcuf on September 27, 2016, 03:54:54 PM
And Nancy, amongst others.

I didn't mean to imply that some women weren't blaming sexism, just that I didn't remember. I should have mentioned that part in my post.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: rekcuf on September 27, 2016, 03:57:15 PM
30k subs, really? Unreal.

I seem to recall Keith tweeting something like that then deleting it.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 27, 2016, 03:57:45 PM

I didn't mean to imply that some women weren't blaming sexism, just that I didn't remember. I should have mentioned that part in my post.

Fair enough. I can't believe Heather accused mv of a 'plotting' against her. LOL. Real life is funny. I remember mv being very supportive of her publicly.

heh heh. Plotting.

K_Dubb

Remember how the some of the women folk on here were trying to stoke the 'sexism' angle? LOL. Ambition blinded them to her glaring faults. (Just like with Hillary...)

I do remember that, but it was MV's use of that particular "angle" that stuck with me.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 27, 2016, 04:00:24 PM

#notevenclose

Seriously though. Keith sent out an email telling everyone how to cancel their subscriptions within hours of him saying he had quit. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people might actually cancel their subscriptions.

I don't listen live as much as I used to, but I still support the show and download the podcasts for when I don't have internet. Maybe at the end of the year I will reconsider.

I'm surprised it is still on the air considering they have lost nearly all the affiliates.

I had been listening to the shortwave station when I would spend time up in my woods. They don't even carry it anymore. Usually it is just shut down at, or nearly at midnight eastern now.  I tried contacting WTWW but received no response.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 27, 2016, 03:40:15 PM
You know, I do remember a circumstance where MV himself defended her before she took over in a manner that surprised me, as it came out of nowhere, lacking any public context.

My only point at the time I posted that was to say the "morning zoo" angle of concern over Heather's sidekick gig wouldn't have been expressed in that way if she were a man.  If she had been a man when Art attempted to do the show with her, a different angle would have been employed in expressing that concern... but I did not mean to say no concern would have been expressed if she were a man.  Perhaps I didn't articulate the nuance of that very well at the time, but, oh well.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 27, 2016, 04:10:07 PM
I do remember that, but it was MV's use of that particular "angle" that stuck with me.

mv; CONFIRMED SJW?

*heartbroken*

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 27, 2016, 03:53:25 PM

I think it was to be expected.  Art's Art and Heather's a nobody.  I'm just saying, for an internet radio show, 1800 concurrent listeners is great.

Lilith

I remember.  I remember feeling embarrassed for woman kind.

Quote from: brig on September 27, 2016, 04:16:13 PM
I remember.  I remember feeling embarrassed for woman kind.

I never lost faith in you, brig. You're our ROCK!

K_Dubb

Quote from: mv on September 27, 2016, 04:13:38 PM
My only point at the time I posted that was to say the "morning zoo" angle of concern over Heather's sidekick gig wouldn't have been expressed in that way if she were a man.  If she had been a man when Art attempted to do the show with her, a different angle would have been employed in expressing that concern... but I did not mean to say no concern would have been expressed if she were a man.  Perhaps I didn't articulate the nuance of that very well at the time, but, oh well.

Oh you probably did and it was my complete unfamiliarity with that genre that missed your subtlety and put it in the "sexist" bucket.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 27, 2016, 04:11:30 PM
Seriously though. Keith sent out an email telling everyone how to cancel their subscriptions within hours of him saying he had quit. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people might actually cancel their subscriptions.

I don't listen live as much as I used to, but I still support the show and download the podcasts for when I don't have internet. Maybe at the end of the year I will reconsider.

I'm surprised it is still on the air considering they have lost nearly all the affiliates.

I had been listening to the shortwave station when I would spend time up in my woods. They don't even carry it anymore. Usually it is just shut down at, or nearly at midnight eastern now.  I tried contacting WTWW but received no response.

I want my coat back. It's starting to get cold.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 27, 2016, 04:17:40 PM
Oh you probably did and it was my complete unfamiliarity with that genre that missed your subtlety and put it in the "sexist" bucket.

no, immediately after i posted it, i realized how people might interpret it, but it was out there so i left it as is.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 27, 2016, 04:19:41 PM

I want my coat back. It's starting to get cold.

Oh yeah. It's right here. I'll get right on that.

K_Dubb

Quote from: mv on September 27, 2016, 04:20:13 PM
no, immediately after i posted it, i realized how people might interpret it, but it was out there so i left it as is.

Well, thank you for clarifying it.  I do think the other point you raised in that particular discussion was entirely valid and continues to be exhibited here in entertaining ways hahaha.

Tinfoil_Helm

Listening to her try and corral her few IQ points together and make a case for Trump last night was a new low. 

EVEN THE FUCKING KKK THINKS TRUMP LOST THE DEBATE!

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/even-stormfront-thinks-hillary-clinton-won-the-debate-1787121521

Tinfoil_Helm

Just saw this.  Holy shit.  Fuck her.  (And no, not the way Art did...)

Quote from: mv on September 27, 2016, 01:17:41 AM
I think lots of people suggested she not post here, including me when my opinion was solicited early on.  Having said that, I think it would have been smart of her to come back and roll with things here after she settled into the show.  To me, given her history here on BellGab, she looked weak scurrying away like that and now looks dishonest by pretending the culture of this place is beneath her. 

I haven't mentioned this, but at this point, who gives a shit.  The last time I spoke with Heather, she Skyped to accuse me of scheming behind the scenes to prank call her show or something.  If I recall, the specific allegation was "with a soundboard."  "Some people" told her I was doing it.  Mm hmm.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  And she called with this about five minutes after some savage crashed into the back of my car.  My daughters were in the back seat (ages -1 and 3).  Yeah, bad timing for that call, and when I told her what happened and that I was awaiting the police, she brushed it off and plowed on with the intended purpose of her call.  I guess that's when I decided to step away from her whole scene.  A few weeks or months later, Art sent me some cryptic message asking if I knew anything about something someone was doing somewhere somehow to Heather's show (yes, it was almost that non-specific).  Like I said, weak.