• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

From Art Bell

Started by Art Bell, September 21, 2015, 03:42:41 PM

melvis

Excellent news!!  ;D I will contact our lonely station close to home {in the boondocks WA coast} and try to get some attention of the bigger stations in Seattle and Tacoma. Portland already is carrying the show, but its too far to pick up signal.
I can hardly wait to tune in the dial on those long lonely late night drives and hear that voice booming through my speakers " Wanna Take a Ride?" Gives me chills to think about it!!
\0/ \0/ \0/ three cheers and a [] shot of HOT DAMN!!! Congrats Art and Keith!!!

TigerLily

Ok. Just double checked. KFMB listed as L.A. station so moving on to San Francisco

DesertFox

About the commercials issue--I could care less if we have some more if the show really gets spread widely...that said Art says it won't happen.  But to me it wouldn't be a deal breaker AT ALL.

AppealPlay

Quote from: TigerLily on September 23, 2015, 04:13:09 PM
Ok. Just double checked. KFMB listed as L.A. station so moving on to San Francisco

I would still contact LA stations.  Even though there is overlap, San Diego and Los Angeles are officially different markets.

TigerLily

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 23, 2015, 04:27:14 PM
I would still contact LA stations.  Even though there is overlap, San Diego and Los Angeles are officially different markets.
Good thinking. Will.do

Quote from: TigerLily on September 23, 2015, 04:13:09 PM
YES!!  KGO is 50,000 watts and for decades was the #1 news/talk station in the country.  They have in recent years gone into complete management chaos and ratings decline.  Although they are affiliated with iHeart/Cumulus, they don't carry Noory and basically have squat in the 9-12 slot (although 10-12 they carry John Bachelor).  They are so leery of hearing complaints from listeners, they don't post a contact phone number or email address! 

I cant find the email addy I dug up in July when I contacted them during Blitz.1.  They list a "news tips" email: producers@kgoradio.com. Radio-Locator.com shows this phone #: (415) 954-8108.  It would really be something to have MitD on KGO.  Might help them out a lot, too! 

lonevoice

Just wanted to share something that's making me smile today.  The station manager who gave Bellgab the wonderful gift of the original Dave Noory meme (bless him!) has been in touch with Art.  It's looking very good that this station will be carrying Art's show soon.  It seems like one of those wonderful full-circle ironies to me.  :)

anunnaki

Quote from: Étouffée on September 23, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
YES!!  KGO is 50,000 watts and for decades was the #1 news/talk station in the country.  They have in recent years gone into complete management chaos and ratings decline.  Although they are affiliated with iHeart/Cumulus, they don't carry Noory and basically have squat in the 9-12 slot (although 10-12 they carry John Bachelor).  They are so leery of hearing complaints from listeners, they don't post a contact phone number or email address! 

I cant find the email addy I dug up in July when I contacted them during Blitz.1.  They list a "news tips" email: producers@kgoradio.com. Radio-Locator.com shows this phone #: (415) 954-8108.  It would really be something to have MitD on KGO.  Might help them out a lot, too!

Go to the Blitz thread and read my suggestion of multi emails

bateman

Quote from: lonevoice on September 23, 2015, 07:21:32 PM
Just wanted to share something that's making me smile today.  The station manager who gave Bellgab the wonderful gift of the original Dave Noory meme (bless him!) has been in touch with Art.  It's looking very good that this station will be carrying Art's show soon.  It seems like one of those wonderful full-circle ironies to me.  :)

Just delicious. It's like the townfolk are helping Dr. Frankenstein kill his monster.  ;D

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on September 23, 2015, 07:23:36 PM
Just delicious. It's like the townfolk are helping Dr. Frankenstein kill his monster.  ;D
Hahaha, what a picture.  Someone could make a fun gif of that.

Does he still call Dave Dave?

jazmunda

Have you informed him that he is a legend on BellGab and vaguely lovable people will be singing songs about him for generations?

lonevoice

Quote from: jazmunda on September 23, 2015, 07:30:57 PM
Have you informed him that he is a legend on BellGab and vaguely lovable people will be singing songs about him for generations?
lol.  I thought it could be best to wait until agreements are signed before telling him something that would make him curious enough to want to visit the site that carries this legend.  :o

Quote from: lonevoice on September 23, 2015, 07:46:07 PM
lol.  I thought it could be best to wait until agreements are signed before telling him something that would make him curious enough to want to visit the site that carries this legend.  :o

That's probably a good precautionary measure.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on September 23, 2015, 07:23:36 PM

Quote from: lonevoice on September 23, 2015, 07:24:47 PM
Hahaha, what a picture.  Someone could make a fun gif of that.

Someone in pixel pushing department, get this done, NOW!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: chefist on September 23, 2015, 07:52:37 PM
C+

You are correct sir, I have been guilty of grade inflation ... Must maintain our exemplary standards.

jazmunda

Quote from: lonevoice on September 23, 2015, 07:46:07 PM

Prudent.

Robert

Quote from: Alaskana on September 22, 2015, 10:29:55 PMHi Robert,

my take on it is that it's not necessarily that the affiliates will have a more stable/reliable feed than if they had just picked MITD up over the Internet, but that the show will now be easily selected as a 'channel' for radio station operators who wish to pick up the show using the XDS receiver. Much like your DirecTV or Dish network receiver box picks up any given number of channels via your satellite dish, if a radio station has the XDS receiver they can simply select MITD as a channel and using the built in software can easily select that channel to run in a given time slot. As it is now, I believe a station would have to obtain the show as most of us do, via streaming, and then rebroadcast it. That isn't a huge technical hurdle in and of itself, but now that MITD will be packaged in an easily accessible Satellite channel, it will make running the show that more easier and attractive for station operators.

Hope that helped clarify it a bit. :)
It did, but made it seem trivial.  When people didn't have remote control on their TV channel selector, a popular lead-in program was a huge advantage because of people who wouldn't get up to change stations.  When people had UHF on a separate dial from VHF, similarly the inconvenience was a factor.  But that was based on individual audience members who had little at stake.  For someone in the business, making a cx is a rather trivial affair in the overall scheme of things, isn't it?  Would you really factor into your business decision to carry a program this amount of extra work?  Especially when you have staff who are doing this sort of thing all the time?  WFMU has mostly unpaid staff, yet they do all sorts of technical gizmoidery.

I remember when Steve Dahl's program was carried in Milwaukee by locally retransmitting a b'cast FM signal out of Chicago's WXRT/WLUP.  It was subject to tropospheric bending near the VHF horizon, hence variable.  IIRC they kept that up for a while after they'd added a Detroit affiliate by satellite.  That was the decision, even though it meant sometimes they had to say the program was unavailable due to conditions, & other times fadey.  If a technical matter like that was such a low consider'n, I would think all the more so for the current consider'ns.

Echo

Art hasn't given us one good reason to contact local radio stations. No matter how many affiliates MiTD has, Art will continue to charge to access past shows. How about giving back to fan base, now that you have complete control over the show. The only difference between DMDN and Premier radio, DMDN has a few less commercials.

Look at the content Joe Rogan puts out for FREE on youtube. You want people to pay how much to listen to past MiTD audio only show. 

Quote from: Echo on September 24, 2015, 02:48:00 AM
Art hasn't given us one good reason to contact local radio stations. No matter how many affiliates MiTD has, Art will continue to charge to access past shows. How about giving back to fan base, now that you have complete control over the show. The only difference between DMDN and Premier radio, DMDN has a few less commercials.

Look at the content Joe Rogan puts out for FREE on youtube. You want people to pay how much to listen to past MiTD audio only show.

If you are a fan of Art Bell you want him to do well. MITD having radio affiliates means a deeper caller base, more strange tails, better guest, etc.  MITD is just getting started to compare it to Rogan is silly. The youtube channel literally is just now getting established.

VegasI15

Quote from: Echo on September 24, 2015, 02:48:00 AM

Art goes over and beyond to connect with his fan base.  Suggesting otherwise, just sounds like you are trying to stir up trouble.  As far as the convenience of paying to access past shows goes, it is more than fair.  In the end, if it bothers you that much,  no one is stopping you from recording the show yourself. 

When did it become a crime to make money in this country?  I think it is a great thing Art is using his talents to entertain us and make some extra money.  Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

Alaskana

Quote from: TigerLily on September 23, 2015, 12:16:47 PM
Thanks Alaskana Good to understand this better. Knowledge.is Power Go team Bellgab!

Indeed, Tigerlily! Glad to help out in any way I can.   :)

Alaskana

Quote from: Robert on September 23, 2015, 10:06:18 PM
It did, but made it seem trivial.  When people didn't have remote control on their TV channel selector, a popular lead-in program was a huge advantage because of people who wouldn't get up to change stations.  When people had UHF on a separate dial from VHF, similarly the inconvenience was a factor.  But that was based on individual audience members who had little at stake.  For someone in the business, making a cx is a rather trivial affair in the overall scheme of things, isn't it?  Would you really factor into your business decision to carry a program this amount of extra work?  Especially when you have staff who are doing this sort of thing all the time?  WFMU has mostly unpaid staff, yet they do all sorts of technical gizmoidery.

I remember when Steve Dahl's program was carried in Milwaukee by locally retransmitting a b'cast FM signal out of Chicago's WXRT/WLUP.  It was subject to tropospheric bending near the VHF horizon, hence variable.  IIRC they kept that up for a while after they'd added a Detroit affiliate by satellite.  That was the decision, even though it meant sometimes they had to say the program was unavailable due to conditions, & other times fadey.  If a technical matter like that was such a low consider'n, I would think all the more so for the current consider'ns.

Robert, you bring up some excellent points and I enjoyed reading the historical account you offered. I do agree that it should not have be any great hurdle for a radio station to pick up Art's show as it it was being offered (presumably as an online feed) before the transition to the XDS satellite feed. I would think that for those radio stations that already have made an investment in getting an XDS subscription and associated satellite dish/hardware in place, the convenience factor of having MITD being presented as part of the XDS suite of shows from which to choose can only be a net plus for station managers looking at various factors when deciding what programming to run. Having said that, I have no idea how much weight that factor carries as there are myriad other variables they would have to consider before choosing to run MITD (ad revenue, show pricing, time slot conflicts, contracts, etc).

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has experience operating a station that uses an XDS feed.

Arch Stanton

Here is the email I sent to the FM classic rock station in Sacramento. I think your MITD on a classic rock station in the late night hours would be a natural fit.

Hi,

My name is XXXXXX, I live up in the Grass Valley area, I am 57 and have been listening to the Eagle since my days living in Rocklin going to Sierra College.
That was some 35 years ago, So I guess I am a long time listener, LOL
At night I faithfully listened to Art Bell, I am sure you remember or know of him, he was the creator of "Coast to Coast AM", a legendary light night radio program now hosted by a guy taking it in a much different direction. It has lost its soul and is no longer the show Art created.
Well, Art Bell is back. His new show, "Midnight in the Desert", is being sent out in digital stereo via the net and sounds simply awesome. Art hasn't lost a step, and is really on his game, with all of the amazing classic late night radio stuff he hooked me and millions of other listeners with back in the 90's.
Here is the deal.
He is also setting up an XDS radio feed which would allow The Eagle to broadcast his show, in stereo.
I cannot imagine a better match than Classic Rock all day and into the evening followed by Art's show exploring all of the stuff that he delves into....everything from Bigfoot through UFO's. Your listeners are the kind of people who, by nature, are going to be interested in this stuff, and late at night...well...imagine the possibilities. I think this can be a special opportunity for The Eagle.
I looked and have seen no other indication that any other terrestrial radio station in the Sacramento area has picked up on this yet, the closest is a Fresno station...so you folks have a chance to jump on this and lock it down.
One way or the other, I will be listening to Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell, as will a lot of other fans of The Eagle.
I really hope I am hearing him on "my station", 96.9 The Eagle...

I will follow this up with a call later on.

I've been a listener since C2C hit KFBK in Sacramento in the first days of the show, mid 80's?
On the rare nights we were not up to our butts in alligators you kept a lot of cops working graveyard shift awake and entertained, as October approaches I think an "special line" for current or former police officers with ghost stories could yield some interesting stuff. MITD is a breath of fresh air and I am thankful that Art has returned.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Arch Stanton on September 24, 2015, 10:24:12 AM
Here is the email I sent to the FM classic rock station in Sacramento. I think your MITD on a classic rock station in the late night hours would be a natural fit.

Hi,

My name is XXXXXX, I live up in the Grass Valley area, I am 57 and have been listening to the Eagle since my days living in Rocklin going to Sierra College.
At night I faithfully listened to Art Bell, I am sure you remember or know of him, he was the creator of "Coast to Coast AM", a legendary light night radio program now hosted by a guy taking it in a much different direction. It has lost its soul and is no longer the show Art created.
Well, Art Bell is back. His new show, "Midnight in the Desert", is being sent out in digital stereo via the net and sounds simply awesome. Art hasn't lost a step, and is really on his game, with all of the amazing classic late night radio stuff he hooked me and millions of other listeners with back in the 90's.
Here is the deal.
He is also setting up an XDS radio feed which would allow The Eagle to broadcast his show, in stereo.
I cannot imagine a better match than Classic Rock all day and into the evening followed by Art's show exploring all of the stuff that he delves into....everything from Bigfoot through UFO's. Your listeners are the kind of people who, by nature, are going to be interested in this stuff, and late at night...well...imagine the possibilities. I think this can be a special opportunity for The Eagle.
I looked and have seen no other indication that any other terrestrial radio station in the Sacramento area has picked up on this yet, the closest is a Fresno station...so you folks have a chance to jump on this and lock it down.
One way or the other, I will be listening to Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell, as will a lot of other fans of The Eagle.

I've been a listener since C2C hit KFBK in Sacramento in the first days of the show, mid 80's?
On the rare nights we were not up to our butts in alligators you kept a lot of cops working graveyard shift awake and entertained, as October approaches I think an "special line" for current or former police officers with ghost stories could yield some interesting stuff. MITD is a breath of fresh air and I am thankful that Art has returned.
I'm in Grass Valley too.

TigerLily

Quote from: Arch Stanton on September 24, 2015, 10:24:12 AM

Hi,

Here is the deal.

This is great! I will use it as a template. I finished my first round of Facebook posts yesterday and am emailing them today.  Thanks for sharing this