• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Metron2267

Mercy, that was a manly meal by anyone's standards - praise MV! ;)

pate

Quote from: chefist on January 05, 2017, 08:36:48 PM
I like where you are going with this...I make something similar...let met give you a couple of suggestions if I may...

1. Always use malted milk powder in place of regular milk powder
2. Once the entire mixture is ready, and hot...stir in 60% dark chocolate chips...about 1 tablespoon per cup...
3. Don't forget vanilla extract
4.Live life dangerously and add a drop or two of almond extract to the batch...

A pleasure to meet a fellow hot chocolate drinker...

I am thinking of revisiting my home-made Hot Cocoa Mix ongoing experiment, weather is getting cold and I have the six ingredients I normally use in abundance.

Looking at my notes right now (I should put dates on these notes) I am going with one of the recipes that goes by weight instead of volume.

------

HOT COCOA MIX 06NOV2018

Pudding Mix (cook & serve)          96g
Cocoa Powder                             48g
Dry Milk Powder                         350g
Confectioner's Sugar                   200g
Non-Dairy Creamer                       86g
Dry Chocolate Milk Mix                 112g
Salt                                              0.6g (1/8 tsp)

pate

HOT COCOA MIX 06NOV2018

Pudding Mix (cook & serve)          96g
Cocoa Powder                             48g
Dry Milk Powder                         350g
Confectioner's Sugar                   200g
Non-Dairy Creamer                       86g
Dry Chocolate Milk Mix                 112g
Salt                                              0.6g (1/8 tsp)

-----

Just mixed this up.  The pudding mix package claimed the contents weighed 96g, my scale measured the contents as 102g.  Maybe humidity? Not sure.

My coffee mug holds 20fluid ounces.  I put in 2/3 cups of the mix and then dumped water on top to bring the level up to the 20oz mark, stirred and the airpockets collapsed and topped off with enough additional water to bring the level back to 20 ounces.  I think it tastes pretty damn good, yield of the recipe was approximately a half gallon of dry mix.  I guess that means I get 24x10oz cups of hot cocoa per batch.  Not sure how it food costs out compared to store-bought (Swiss Miss etc) cocoa mixes.

I know I usually buy the pudding mix when it is on sale for a buck or something, everything else I buy in bulk at Costco/Sam's for other applications.  My wild ass guess is that this whole mess cost me around $5 in ingredients, if that.

Let me look at the food cost thing right quick (prices via amazon.com):

Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa mix (648g) is $10
Swiss Miss mix (1.6kg) is $15
Nestle Cocoa mix (1.01kg) is $11

This recipe yields 892-896g (depending on what the pudding mix package actually weighs.

I bet this is cheaper than buying the stuff already made, didn't take me 10 minutes to put it together. 

I have a bunch of corn sugar from my home-brewing experiments, maybe I should try that instead of powdered sugar?  I think this stuff has a "thick" enough consistency, but I wonder if adding cornstarch to it would make it even "thicker"?  Or tapioca flour or something like that...

Jackstar

I think that the innovation in mouthfeel you're looking for is, add a little MCT oil, and whip the whole she-bang in a very high speed blender.

Perhaps butter--but this will alter your flavor profile considerably, while pure MCT oil should be largely tasteless. OTOH, if you use quality salted butter, you can stop adding the sodium chloride to your recipe.

[attachment=1,msg1275181]

If you are not wiling to use a very high speed blender, you are dead to me.

Metron2267

Quote from: Jackstar on November 06, 2018, 04:17:46 PM
If you are not wiling to use a very high speed blender, you are dead to me.

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on November 06, 2018, 04:17:46 PM
I think that the innovation in mouthfeel you're looking for is,..

Look, look, read, read:

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 04:02:28 PM
... I think this stuff has a "thick" enough consistency,..

Not looking to increase the "mouthfeel" really, just thinking ahead if someone who tried that recipe decided that it wasn't "thick" enough.  I am a bit reticent about using fats/oils in what I intend to be a shelf-stable product.  Fats/oils tend to go rancid, whereas powders do not.  The sodium chloride is there because a small amount of salt will actually heighten the perceived sweet flavors, true story.  That factoid is taught in the culinary institutes if you pay attention or the institution worth its "salt".  Heh.  Or you could have just noted as a youngster that the old folks put a bit of salt on their watermelon slices when they were eating them, and listened to them instead... either or.

I am not above putting some oil/fat on top of the cup after making the hot final mix.  When the pot is legal around hear, I intend to experiment with Heavy Whipping Cream infusions.  Mainly, because all the edible caramels I have tasted taste like they used a butter infusion, and every true chef knows and understands that caramel is absolutely not made with butter.  I figure HWC has enough fat in it to extract the THC goodness people love, but who knows I could be wrong.

(I only use a balloon whisk to make whipped cream, and always hand-whip...)

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 04:59:26 PM
I am a bit reticent about using fats/oils in what I intend to be a shelf-stable product.

100% agree--I'm suggesting you create an emulsion at prep time. I think you'll prefer that.

Insofar as creating a shelf-stable product, I've no input--although I am sure this could be accomplished. Certainly the salt in the powder is a good idea for that. I still don't think the mouthfeel provided by speed-whipping hot oil can be replaced by anything.

pate

Tiny bubbles, eh?  Why not stir in whipped cream at service time?  There's your emulsion...

[attachment=1]

For shits and giggles I am going to take the above mystery ingredients, along with some other stuff laying around in the kitchen and see what I can do for dinner.  The pork chop is from a strip loin I bought over the summer and cut up into chops and froze, I took it out of the freezer yesterday, I think it is thawed.  I need something to eat while I watch this "Red Tide" or "Blue Wave thing.

Maybe I will have something edible knocked together by the thyme this election is over.

I will admit that I have already begun clarifying butter for whatever I come up with hear...

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 07:56:48 PM
Why not stir in whipped cream at service time?  There's your emulsion...

1) Because if it is hot cocoa, it'll scald.

2) I'm not six.

pate

Well, it seems dinner is going to be Schwiensnitzel with A Mushroom Demi-Glace Cream Sauce, Thyme infused Chipotle-Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese, and Almond-Onion Green Beans.

When I put it on the menu I will translate it into German completely so it sounds even fancier, heh.

[attachment=1]
Some of the hurry-up impromptu prep work for this meal

[attachment=2]
Schweinsnitzel fying in clarified butter

[attachment=3]
The demi-glace mushroom sauce (I it's frozen demi-glace from god knows how long ago, you can see it in the first picture all freezer burnt, tastes fine tho)

[attachment=4]
Standard box Mac & cheese plus some grated Chipotle-Cheddar-Jack cheese, I threw some fresh thyme from the garden in there and the *gasp* powdered cheese shit!)

[attachment=5]
The finished plate.

I would charge a hipster-douche at least $30 for this plate, minimum.

Damn that was tasty, glad I have another plate's worth left...

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on November 06, 2018, 08:00:04 PM
1) Because if it is hot cocoa, it'll scald.

2) I'm not six.

Whipped cream won't scald in hot cocoa, it'd just melt like it does into coffee.

I don't even think it would scald in boiling cocoa for that matter, maybe separate, maybe...

D-U-M that spells Moon, laws yes!

Metron2267

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 09:13:04 PM

[attachment=5,msg1275320]
The finished plate.

I would charge a hipster-douche at least $30 for this plate, minimum.

Damn that was tasty, glad I have another plate's worth left...

The schnitzel, gravy and mac look outstanding!

But those beans - do I detect the pallid color of Del Monte tinned green lake beans?

:-\

pate

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 07, 2018, 10:47:43 AM
The schnitzel, gravy and mac look outstanding!

But those beans - do I detect the pallid color of Del Monte tinned green lake beans?

:-\

Close, Kirkland via COSTCO.  I decided to work with only what I had in the kitchen, no trip to the store, so the vegetable was canned green beans.  I did jazz them up with some fresh thyme, hand-cut raw almonds and white onions that I sautéed/toasted then tossed with the canned green beans (that simmered in the stuff leftover from the butter clarification.) 

Here's where & when I started (less thyme to make that post)

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 07:56:48 PM

About 8pm

and finished @ about 9pm (less thyme to make the post hear):

Quote from: pate on November 06, 2018, 09:13:04 PM
Well, it seems dinner is going to be Schwiensnitzel with A Mushroom Demi-Glace Cream Sauce, Thyme infused Chipotle-Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese, and Almond-Onion Green Beans...

Not to shabby for an hour;  coldstart with zero prep using only what I had in the kitchen...

I wonder how many WHOPPERS w/ cheese Roz could turn out in an hour?

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on November 07, 2018, 03:22:59 PM
I did jazz them up with some fresh thyme

I saw what you did there. Tasty.

chefist

glad to see this thread still kickin

Metron2267

Quote from: pate on November 07, 2018, 03:22:59 PM
Close, Kirkland via COSTCO.  I decided to work with only what I had in the kitchen, no trip to the store, so the vegetable was canned green beans.  I did jazz them up with some fresh thyme, hand-cut raw almonds and white onions that I sautéed/toasted then tossed with the canned green beans (that simmered in the stuff leftover from the butter clarification.)

Yeah that's workable since you kicked the taste up a notch or two.

The schnitzel has me in Hun mode. :D

damon

Chefist are you going to do a podcast cooking show??

chefist

Quote from: damon on November 07, 2018, 04:14:12 PM
Chefist are you going to do a podcast cooking show??

no...can't...too busy opening a new biz...maybe later on...cheers...

damon

Quote from: chefist on November 07, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
ok

damon

Chefist, what type of business are you starting?

pate

Quote from: damon on November 07, 2018, 04:41:34 PM
Chefist, what type of business are you starting?
I consulted my psychic counselor on this question, he saw this:

I am Nautical SHore what it means...

Corona Kitty

Quote from: chefist on November 07, 2018, 04:15:05 PM

A new biz?

The chefist food truck, sounds like something profitable.

whoozit

In honor of chefist being called Glugsy the Clown by the benevolent dictator at EllGab,  I think contributors to this thread should post their favorite cooking with booze recipes and photos.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on November 07, 2018, 05:39:50 PM
In honor of chefist being called Glugsy the Clown by the benevolent dictator at EllGab,  I think contributors to this thread should post their favorite cooking with booze recipes and photos.

Ha...that's the best he has... ;D

You haven't become a cat lady, have you?

damon

Quote from: chefist on November 07, 2018, 05:41:28 PM
Ha...that's the best he has... ;D

You haven't become a cat lady, have you?
Hello Chefist oops I mean Glugsy, How are you doing?

Metron2267

Quote from: Jackstar on November 07, 2018, 06:38:53 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q="sidetrack+opponents+with+name+calling+and+ridicule"

Sorta like your regular strawman outrage act?

QuoteQuote from: Jackstar on Today at 03:17:42 PM

Your notable and distinct concern for the plight of millions of citizens who have been fraudulently incarcerated is and has been brilliantly evident.

chefist

I was told I was narcissistic for starting this thread...LOL