• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Star Trek: Discovery

Started by jazmunda, February 12, 2017, 04:56:29 AM

jazmunda

Finally Star Trek is coming back to our TV sets.

Not much is known about the series but it's been rumoured that it takes place 10 years prior to The Original Series.

Here are some photos of the new look Klingons. What do you think?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-might-be-our-first-look-at-the-klingons-in-star-tr-1792262881

Quote from: 🖖 on February 12, 2017, 04:56:29 AM
Finally Star Trek is coming back to our TV sets.

Not much is known about the series but it's been rumoured that it takes place 10 years prior to The Original Series.

They look good.  If it is set 10 years before Kirk & Spock time, then these Klingons aren't the neutered, PC, tamed Klingons of
the disastrous TNG.  These should be mean, nasty bastards out fighting for the supremacy of their kind - as Klingons should be.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 12, 2017, 07:29:47 AM
They look good.  If it is set 10 years before Kirk & Spock time, then these Klingons aren't the neutered, PC, tamed Klingons of
the disastrous TNG.  These should be mean, nasty bastards out fighting for the supremacy of their kind - as Klingons should be.

:TWITCHES:

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 12, 2017, 07:36:32 AM
:TWITCHES:

Yeah man.  They pretty much have to have real Klingons back.  No way around it.

I have little hope for Miniskirts and Go-Go Boots though.  Too bad...........

Isn't the captain going to be another female and a lesbian?

I wonder how many more "identity politics" characters will be rammed into the show?

So far it looks worse than the one with the Quantum Leap commander.

Quote from: (((The King of Kings))) on February 12, 2017, 08:09:13 AM

I wonder how many more "identity politics" characters will be rammed into the show?

I think that was done already.  Maybe the new Cap will be Bruce Jenner...................

Lord Grantham

>Implying Trek hasn't been about identity politics since 1967

Daggit

Did they not have tv in your racist hick town in the 60s?

zeebo

Quote from: 🖖 on February 12, 2017, 04:56:29 AM

Real Klingons do not drink out of sippy-cups.

jazmunda

Quote from: zeebo on February 12, 2017, 02:17:28 PM
Real Klingons do not drink out of sippy-cups.

Where's the bloodwine? Klingons don't wear minis either.

trostol

technically..it is not coming back to TV per say...it is going to be on the CBS Access...which you have to pay for

and WTF do the Klingons look like that? are they totally changing how they look? they look...reptilian

effluenza

No-ones forcing you to watch bucko.

jazmunda

Quote from: trostol on February 12, 2017, 02:23:07 PM
technically..it is not coming back to TV per say...it is going to be on the CBS Access...which you have to pay for

and WTF do the Klingons look like that? are they totally changing how they look? they look...reptilian

Do people still pay for restricted content? How quaint. ;)

No shit?  Something that might drive a little interest back into Broadcast TV and they screw it up.  Who the
hell has CBS Access?

zeebo

... WTF do the Klingons look like that? are they totally changing how they look? they look...reptilian

All part of "slow disclosure".  This has already been covered on the Hoagie thread, sir.

trostol

Quote from: 🖖 on February 12, 2017, 02:25:00 PM
Do people still pay for restricted content? How quaint. ;)

well we all know most of us that watch won't pay lol i am even betting it will be the 2nd most pirated show after GoT

but yes there are some people that do lol

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on February 12, 2017, 02:27:51 PM
All part of "slow disclosure".  This has already been covered on the Hoagie thread, sir.

ha ha ha

jazmunda

Quote from: trostol on February 12, 2017, 02:28:28 PM
well we all know most of us that watch won't pay lol i am even betting it will be the 2nd most pirated show after GoT

but yes there are some people that do lol

Ironically stealing the show will lead to an early cancellation because no one is watching leading to mass online petitions.

trostol

Quote from: 🖖 on February 12, 2017, 02:35:47 PM
Ironically stealing the show will lead to an early cancellation because no one is watching leading to mass online petitions.

i have a feeling it will do well enough leading itself into cancellation ...the ship looks..weird..those Klingons look..awful..

jazmunda

Quote from: trostol on February 12, 2017, 02:37:25 PM
i have a feeling it will do well enough leading itself into cancellation ...the ship looks..weird..those Klingons look..awful..

Touche.

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on February 12, 2017, 02:37:25 PM

At the end of the month, you can buy a ST:TNG Bluetooth communicator badge.

Only $80.

http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=1043213&pa=PRF-STRK-000050&ecid=PRF-STRK-000050

jazmunda

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 12, 2017, 03:43:44 PM
At the end of the month, you can buy a ST:TNG Bluetooth communicator badge.

Only $80.

http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=1043213&pa=PRF-STRK-000050&ecid=PRF-STRK-000050

Great! Another product I can only use locked in a closet.

zeebo

Quote from: 🖖 on February 12, 2017, 03:52:28 PM
Great! Another product I can only use locked in a closet.

It doubles as a defense shield against females.

jazmunda

Quote from: zeebo on February 12, 2017, 04:05:52 PM
It doubles as a defense shield against females.

I don't need a replica star trek communicator for that.  8)

Morgus

Spock's father (Sarek) is set to be a recurring character.
The main character is rumored to be the female officer that was Captain Pike's first officer (Number One) in the first Star Trek pilot, but this series is set in time before she was on the Enterprise.
If the captain of the Discovery is a female, that would go against established Star Trek canon - since it was shown in the last episode of Star Trek (1969) that starfleet didn't allow females for captains at that point and this series is set years earlier. Female starfleet captains only appeared decades after in the Star Trek movies and next generation series.

Morgus

STAR TREK DISCOVERY Delayed Again!! Spock’s Dad Recast Again!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77088

First the bad:
“Star Trek Discovery,” once slated to premiere this month before moving to May, won’t be premiering in May either. CBS All Access is now saying in a statement it doesn’t know when it will premiere.

Now the good:
James Frain -- who played recently both Mayor Galavan and Azrael on “Gotham” and recurred on numerous other series, among them “24,” “Empire,” “Invastion,” “The Tudors,” “The Cape,” “The White Queen, “Grimm,” “Orphan Black,” “The Tunnel,” “Intruders,” ““True Blood,” “Agent Carter” and “True Detective” -- will play Sarek, father of Spock, on “Star Trek Discovery.”

Actor Mark Lenard first played the character of Sarek on the 1967 “Star Trek” episode “Journey to Babel,” and reprised the role on the 1973 animated episode “Yesteryear,” two episodes of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” and the third, fourth and sixth Star Trek movies.

Younger versions of Sarek were played by Jonathan Simpson in 1989’s “Star Trek V” and by Ben Cross in 2009’s “Star Trek.”

Bryan Fuller, co-creator and former showrunner of “Star Trek Discovery,” hinted that he wanted Winona Ryder, who played Spock’s mother in the 2009 movie, to reprise the role in the upcoming series.

While I’m been mighty impressed with Frain’s work over the years I’d be lying if I said it’s not a disappointment that they’re not bringing back Cross.

“Star Trek Discovery,” which will stream on CBS All Access (likely later this year), is set 10 years before the Kirk-Spock series broadcast in the 1960s.  It is not excpected to focus on Kirk, Spock or any other familiar character, though familiar characters will pop up from time to time.

(I wonder if Spock is already serving aboard the Enterprise with Captain Pike.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Morgus on February 12, 2017, 05:37:50 PM
The main character is rumored to be the female officer that was Captain Pike's first officer (Number One) in the first Star Trek pilot, but this series is set in time before she was on the Enterprise.
If the captain of the Discovery is a female, that would go against established Star Trek canon - since it was shown in the last episode of Star Trek (1969) that starfleet didn't allow females for captains at that point and this series is set years earlier. Female starfleet captains only appeared decades after in the Star Trek movies and next generation series.

What I read seemed to imply there wouldn't be a captain. Or maybe it meant that the Captain wouldn't be the major character. It will be weird not having a captain though.

It also said they would have a Klingon. I thought Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet. Not sure the Klingons were friendly at that point in the timeline.

trostol

Quote from: Morgus on February 12, 2017, 05:37:50 PM

the captain being female never bothered me when they announced it with Discovery...my main issue with his series is ...the ship looks like ass..and that whole paywall to watch it..i really have to wonder who thought that was a good idea

now that more comes out about it..it seems who ever is in charge of it is just...ugh..i do not even have words

jazmunda

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 12, 2017, 06:04:11 PM
What I read seemed to imply there wouldn't be a captain. Or maybe it meant that the Captain wouldn't be the major character. It will be weird not having a captain though.

It also said they would have a Klingon. I thought Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet. Not sure the Klingons were friendly at that point in the timeline.

It means that the captain isn't the main character rather than there being no captain at all. I don't mind the idea of seeing life on the ship through the eyes of a lower ranked character.

I also thought that initially the main focus of the show wouldn't necessarily be focused on one ship or a group of ships but the federation and it's politics and it's exploration and fleet as a whole.