• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

preston

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on April 29, 2012, 03:45:10 AM
I swear when I was going to school there was a journal called Mutants of Maize that several of my professors subscribed to, but when I tried to Google it I could only find an out of print book by this name!
Amazon has 5 paperback at 224.69. ???

Quote from: preston on April 29, 2012, 04:47:18 PM
Amazon has 5 paperbacks at $224.69. ???

Well it is illustrated.

texaskdog

I know I'm about 2 months behind but just listened to Ian's monster show in March.  First I thought the guy was doing a Paul Lynde imitation, but I had far more fun picture Roger the alien as the guest.

Coast to Coast - Ian Punnett Shows
5/13/12

"Ian Punnett weclomes [SIC] author Peter Levenda, who will discuss how thousands of Nazi war criminals fled to remote parts of the globeâ€"including quite possibly Adolf Hitler. It is a story involving Soviet spies, Nazi priests, and a network of Catholic monasteries and safe houses known as the Ratline and how some Americans helped provide cover for Nazi war criminals."

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: 999 on May 11, 2012, 01:24:35 AM
5/13/12

"Ian Punnett weclomes [SIC] author Peter Levenda, who will discuss how thousands of Nazi war criminals fled to remote parts of the globeâ€"including quite possibly Adolf Hitler. It is a story involving Soviet spies, Nazi priests, and a network of Catholic monasteries and safe houses known as the Ratline and how some Americans helped provide cover for Nazi war criminals."
AKA "Simon", the Necronomicon hoaxer. The guy is an interesting writer, but credulity isn't a strong suit. I've got 5 Levenda books, all are entertaining, but I honestly think less than 20% of his material is factual. "Boys From Brazil" type of paranoia. It sells, though...

Quote from: 999 on May 11, 2012, 01:24:35 AM
5/13/12

Ian will be in full Punnett mode, harumphing indignantly just to make sure we all know where he would have stood on this. 

How long into the show before he manages to put words into the mouth of a caller, make him out to be a Nazi sympathiser, hang up on him, then claim all he wanted was to have a conversaton.

CoastCanuck

My prediction for 5/13/2012 - Ian will mention that you can follow him on Twitter before his first minute of broadcasting is done.  While on the Twitter topic, he'll respond to and name some of his Twitter groupies.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 11, 2012, 05:52:11 PM

Ian will be in full Punnett mode, harumphing indignantly just to make sure we all know where he would have stood on this. 

How long into the show before he manages to put words into the mouth of a caller, make him out to be a Nazi sympathiser, hang up on him, then claim all he wanted was to have a conversaton.
Funny , I was wondering how long after the show was announced before you pulled out the same tired, redundant and insipid complaints about Ian's style.  When it comes to insufferable predictability and self importance, Ian's got nothing on you.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on May 11, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
Funny , I was wondering how long after the show was announced before you pulled out the same tired, redundant and insipid complaints about Ian's style.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think PB has Ian down.  It is pretty easy to understand and mock George, but it takes a while to get Ian.  I think PB does and I like to hear his expositions.

Oversoul

Quite a very astute and accurate description of Ian Punnett's hosting skills.   ;D

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 11, 2012, 01:38:30 AM
      AKA "Simon", the Necronomicon hoaxer. The guy is an interesting writer, but credulity isn't a strong suit. I've got 5 Levenda books, all are entertaining, but I honestly think less than 20% of his material is factual. "Boys From Brazil" type of paranoia. It sells, though...

I’ve known a several German “neo-nazi occultists" and an actual member of the NSDAP who was very much a fan of the paranormal (before this was common) and a reader on occult topics -- although he didn’t exactly engage in occult practices.  So I can pretty much assure you that this is all bunk.  I’ve never seen a book on the topic that is even 20% accurate.

My dad was an aerospace engineer and worked with several German engineers who worked in Germany when Hitler was in power.  Only three said that they belonged to the NSDAP.  Of those only one still had the same beliefs after the war.  Yep, it was “crazy Rudi” the paranormal guy.  But he got along fine with the “pinkos” who even back then predominated in what would become the “New Age” movement.  (As long as they stuck to their psychic experiments and didn’t talk politics, history, or current affairs.)

It is rather interesting that this guest wrote a fake Necronomicon.  Many of the German “neo-nazis” would, at least when they were younger, have been all goo goo over that.  At that time, not all of Lovecraft’s tales had been translated into German and there was certainly no good biographical information available in German.  Many of them thought the Necronomicon was real.

They avoided Anton LeVey.  Besides thinking that Satan was a member of the Christian "pantheon" (which they didn’t accept), they just didn’t trust things written by Jews.  However, they would have thought this Necronomicon was just fine â€"- never dreaming that it was written by someone just as opposed to NS Germany and just as full of B.S. as LeVey was.

Sorry for the convoluted writing.  The Muse is miles away tonight.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on May 12, 2012, 02:45:36 AM
... At that time, not all of Lovecraft’s tales had been translated into German and there was certainly no good biographical information available in German.  Many of them thought the Necronomicon was real.
This is a fascinating point and one I never considered.   Other than Lovecraft, might we imagine that the "whole truth" about writers like Blavatsky and others that supposedly influenced the proto-Nazis just hadn't reached all the Germans..?
Could all the stuff about "the Nazis were hip to the occult" be a reverse joke? -- that the Nazis were NOT hip to the fact that this stuff they supposedly "tapped into" was a bunch of fiction..? ? ?

Lovely Bones

Funny , I was wondering how long after the show was announced before you pulled out the same tired, redundant and insipid complaints about Ian's style.  When it comes to insufferable predictability and self importance, Ian's got nothing on you.

I'm on the RCD side of the PB/IP war.  I get tired of hearing PB's take on Ian.  We know he has a personal, subjective reaction to Ian, and it ain't good.  Okay. 

But I seriously doubt he could build an objective evaluation of Ian as a failed radio host, a poor radio host, or even a mediocre radio host. 

And as we all know, it's exceedingly easy to establish objective criteria and demonstrate how Simple George Simply Fails. 

Therein lies the difference.

Jasmine

I have to say I'm not crazy about the shoot-downs of certain members comments here lately. I am a pacifist - I do not like wars of any kind. It's beginning to border on bullying, and it's just plain rude. There's a polite way to disagree. I come on this forum to read the plethora of thoughts and opinions of others, and share my own. And for the record, I too repeat myself from time to time re ideas and their expression.  I also, at times, neglect to expand/elaborate on certain thoughts and round off my comments. I also come on here to, hopefully, have and share a laugh and a smile or two with the great and eclectic members who inhabit this forum. I think ALL of you are fantastic members. If I may, I think perhaps we can, at times, take life and this forum a tad too seriously.

By all means let's share ideas and vent our collective frustration with C2C and its hosts, etc., but can we also remember to have some fun here, too? Just sayin'.

Agreed, Paper Boy. I myself haven't listened to Ian in quite a while...his personality and style never quite resonated with me. Have a great day, kiddo!  :D

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Jasmine on May 12, 2012, 08:16:21 AM
I have to say I'm not crazy about the shoot-downs of certain members comments here lately. I am a pacifist - I do not like wars of any kind. It's beginning to border on bullying, and it's just plain rude.

Agree with you in principle and have myself defended the underdog in some of the bullying situations which have occurred here. 

That said, if we're going to go with the current anti-bullying fad, isn't also bullying to keep harping on Ian for purely personal, subjective reactions?  It's like arguing that chocolate ice cream is no good again and again with little more than "I don't like the taste." 

Speaking of bullying, for everyone who sees Ian as some egotistical bully who pushes around callers and guests, there's a listener out there who sees Ian as the kid who who was likely bullied in junior high and high school and had little more than his intellect to rely on, so that's his fall back position when he's feeling insecure.  For every critic who sees him as some intellectual snob, there's a listener out there who sees him as an incredibly insecure perfectionist who works his butt off to do do it "right" and then worries like crazy that he hasn't done enough to be perfect.  For every person who sees him as a control freak rushing callers off the air, there's a listener who understands his OCD need to make sure he gets all the lined up callers in before the time expires. . . .

Maybe you've got to be a bit of an insecure, OCD perfectionist to sympathize with rather than criticize the guy.  Either which way, I rush in to defend Ian because I feel like he's the one being "bullied" when he gets what I see as undeserved criticism. 

But that's just me.   

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 12, 2012, 09:10:09 AM
Agree with you in principle and have myself defended the underdog in some of the bullying situations which have occurred here. 

That said, if we're going to go with the current anti-bullying fad, isn't also bullying to keep harping on Ian for purely personal, subjective reactions?  It's like arguing that chocolate ice cream is no good again and again with little more than "I don't like the taste." 

Speaking of bullying, for everyone who sees Ian as some egotistical bully who pushes around callers and guests, there's a listener out there who sees Ian as the kid who who was likely bullied in junior high and high school and had little more than his intellect to rely on, so that's his fall back position when he's feeling insecure.  For every critic who sees him as some intellectual snob, there's a listener out there who sees him as an incredibly insecure perfectionist who works his butt off to do do it "right" and then worries like crazy that he hasn't done enough to be perfect.  For every person who sees him as a control freak rushing callers off the air, there's a listener who understands his OCD need to make sure he gets all the lined up callers in before the time expires. . . .

Maybe you've got to be a bit of an insecure, OCD perfectionist to sympathize with rather than criticize the guy.  Either which way, I rush in to defend Ian because I feel like he's the one being "bullied" when he gets what I see as undeserved criticism. 

But that's just me.
Best post in months, by any member, on any thread.

Jasmine

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 12, 2012, 09:10:09 AM

But that's just me.

Have yourself a lovely day, Lovely Bones.

Eddie Coyle

Not that it's a referendum, but I agree with RCD and LB here. Granted, I'm inclined to both negativity and carping...but I do relent after awhile. Or least have the imagination and nuance to give us variations on a theme instead of the same one note held down ad infinitum.

Well gosh, RCD.  Interesting you knew what I was going to post, didn't like it, and read it anyway.  As Ian would say:  Tweet me.

There is something about Ian that really bothers me.  I'm not quite sure precisely exactly what, maybe some combination of his wannabe elistism,  his insufferable self absorption, his phony Christianness.  I could add what pases for his teeth grindingly lame-ass sense of humor, and whatever else.

But I'm going to keep posting whatever I want, no matter how redundent you find it.  Why do you even read it if you already know what I'm going to say?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 13, 2012, 02:30:19 PM

Well gosh, RCD.  Interesting you knew what I was going to post, didn't like it, and read it anyway.  As Ian would say:  Tweet me.

There is something about Ian that really bothers me.  I'm not quite sure precisely exactly what, maybe some combination of his wannabe elistism,  his insufferable self absorption, his phony Christianness.  I could add what pases for his teeth grindingly lame-ass sense of humor, and whatever else.

But I'm going to keep posting whatever I want, no matter how redundent you find it.  Why do you even read it if you already know what I'm going to say?
You're right, I should stop reading your posts.  They are uniformly bereft of wit or wisdom, nuance or insight.  They are this forum's equivalent of a fly trapped in a window, forever banging away, but getting nowhere (although the fly at least has the common decency to eventually give up the ghost.) But please, feel free to continue treading water in the deep and turgid waters of your own twisted bitterness, forever railing on about smug old Ian and (wait for it) ... his desire to have a conversation.
Perhaps after posting the same meager smattering of personal gripes you have with Ian over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, you will find some solace, and I won't have to stumble upon your endlessly grim and humorless missives again.

McPhallus

Quote from: Jasmine on May 12, 2012, 08:16:21 AM
I have to say I'm not crazy about the shoot-downs of certain members comments here lately. I am a pacifist - I do not like wars of any kind. It's beginning to border on bullying, and it's just plain rude. There's a polite way to disagree. I come on this forum to read the plethora of thoughts and opinions of others, and share my own. And for the record, I too repeat myself from time to time re ideas and their expression.  I also, at times, neglect to expand/elaborate on certain thoughts and round off my comments. I also come on here to, hopefully, have and share a laugh and a smile or two with the great and eclectic members who inhabit this forum. I think ALL of you are fantastic members. If I may, I think perhaps we can, at times, take life and this forum a tad too seriously.

I have to add to the chorus of support for RCD, simply because I've noticed in the time I've been here that PB never has much to say about *anything* except how much he hates GN and IP.  He's really allowed them to get under his skin, and to me his posts come off as one-dimensional and a bit obsessive.

11angeleyes11

Don't worry about repetition.  As the cosmos aligns with our third eye. and we move to the crystal-clear new dimenison in the coming 2012 interaction, we will all be entering the fifth dimension.   I suppose so will all of the posts including those invovling IP.  It will get better, promise, and don't forget to send this as a Twitter.

Love ya shows, Deacon.

HAL 9000

Ordinarily I like Ian, but even he has become insufferable the last year-and-a-half or more with his condescension... below is an example from a Tweet he posted tonight:

QuoteCharles Lowrance ‏ @LowranceCharles
@deaconpunnett, Ya know ur guest would have more time if you just shut up. let them Talk

Ian Punnett Ian Punnett ‏ @deaconpunnett
@LowranceCharles Funny. I assume you're kidding. You don't sound stupid. Breaks are breaks and guests need to guided from time to time.

thecrossbone

I think Ian Punnett is the best Coast-to-Coast host by far.

The ideal line-up for me would be an Art Bell & Ian Punnett.

BobGrau

the strange thing is that I'm a big Ian fan, yet I AGREE with most of the criticism of him being argumentative and so on.

I do wince when he gets the noory treatment around here tho - different league altogether.

margoloo

Ian's not so bad on this show.....tho do wish he would stop with the Twitter me.. I actually found the guest interesting and am half inclined to believe that Hitler got away.  Gee, a positive comment about C2C.  My first! 8)

bluth co.

Was anyone else totally bored with his whole Jury duty story? I kept expecting it to go somewhere, but it just didn't. Maybe its just me idk.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: BobGrau on May 14, 2012, 08:33:27 AMthe strange thing is that I'm a big Ian fan, yet I AGREE with most of the criticism of him being argumentative and so on.

No one likes redundant posts, so I'll just say that I share Bob Grau's opinion. I lied. I have a bit more to say. Ian's an energetic and engaged host. He's a truly gifted conversationalist with few peers in that regard. However, there's another side to him that bugs. Most of PB's criticisms (repetitive or not) ring very true to me. My biggest complaint is that Punnett has to be right, even when he's wrong. He once made a mistake about a historical event, and a caller pointed it out to him. Instead of doing a mea culpa, he went off on the guy. Ian acted like the caller challenged his manhood. He tried to make 2+2=5 in a convoluted tirade rather than just admit that he was [Fonzie] wr-wr-wr-wrong [Fonzie]. Here's another thing that aggravates me: he jumps to unfounded conclusions at times. It's as if he suspects that callers are bigots and/or zealots if they don't share his views on certain subjects. One exchange was hilarious.
(paraphrasing)
Caller: "I think that genes play a huge role in determining traits. Look at the NFL; two brothers are quarterbacks."
Punnett: "That's racist!"
Guest: "Uh, I think that he was talking about Peyton and Eli Manning."

Ian laughed, to his credit. Still, I think that he sometimes assumes the worst about his callers and his guests. I just get that vibe when I listen to him. Maybe it's just me. I could be wr-wr-wr-wrong.

ziznak

I loved the "rat lines" stuff.  Ian doesn't annoy me half as much as some other hosts.. ahem.. Snooory... anyhoo... great show for Ian I was listening intently the whole time.

Lovely Bones

Good posts, Seamus and Bob G.

I, for one, have never argued that Ian was perfect, only that I really enjoy listening to him and think I understand reasons for some of his more controversial qualities.   

No radio host is perfect, including--GET READY FOR THIS--our beloved Art. 

If I had my choice of hosts for C2C, it would be Art out of retirement, Ian out of almost-retirement,  Knapp pulled from his real job, and Snoory and Wells gone because neither of them meets the bare minimum criteria for adequate radio talk show host.  In. My. Opinion.