• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

onan

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 03:52:31 PM
You only read a holier than thou in my first post due to your own insecurities.  How is that for psychology. 

You may be right about the holier than thou... no one is without insecurities. I am suspecting you think yourself innocent of any part of misunderstanding here. Certainly haven't seen any conciliation until Tracy and now that seems to be perhaps a left handed gesture. I dunno. I thought my cigar comment was an attempt to keep it somewhat friendly. I made an attempt at staying at a holiday express to keep it light. I even included myself in the criticism to show some amount of equal part of tit for tat.

So I dunno, you want to keep being pissed, fine. If you do not want an internet squabble be very careful how you phrase your terms.

I think Ian is great somedays, somedays I think he stinks. Pretty much sums us all up.

Frys Girl

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 03:29:20 PM
listen you self important jerk, I made a comment that Ian was a nerd and he would probably agree with me. AND an earlier poster brought up his love of comic books  to me.  I said he was a nerd but that was not meant to slam him.  BUT apparently a couple of posters are very insecure about their childish hobby of reading comic books they took offence.  So get off your high horse Dr. Brothers and if you want to see a jerk suggest you find a mirror!
Calm down. Comic books are anything but childish. One of my favorite series is the Fables series. It is about a bunch of fairy tale characters and it is quite deep, actually. Aside from the beautiful illustrations, the text is well-written. Parts of the story will never leave my mind and have made me think about politics, relationships, and history. Any book that does that is good literature. As for ian, yea he is a nerd. You're right.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 31, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
Calm down. Comic books are anything but childish. One of my favorite series is the Fables series. It is about a bunch of fairy tale characters and it is quite deep, actually. Aside from the beautiful illustrations, the text is well-written. Parts of the story will never leave my mind and have made me think about politics, relationships, and history. Any book that does that is good literature.

We're big fans of the Harry Potter books, which are filled with allusions to literature, history, the Bible, etc.  I remember a discussion of Potter that came up with someone who asked us if we'd seen the latest Star Wars film, which we hadn't; he leaped down our throats when he learned we were Potter fans, saying, "Ugh, they're just for children!" 

To each his own. 

QuoteAs for ian, yea he is a nerd. You're right.

I don't think there's any debate there.  Ian himself freely admits he's a nerd.  A lot of nerds have grown up to make a big impact on the world.  I kinda doubt Bill Gates was the captain of the football team. 

Frys Girl

Quote from: Lovely Bones on September 01, 2011, 06:51:24 AM
We're big fans of the Harry Potter books, which are filled with allusions to literature, history, the Bible, etc.  I remember a discussion of Potter that came up with someone who asked us if we'd seen the latest Star Wars film, which we hadn't; he leaped down our throats when he learned we were Potter fans, saying, "Ugh, they're just for children!" 

To each his own. 

I don't think there's any debate there.  Ian himself freely admits he's a nerd.  A lot of nerds have grown up to make a big impact on the world.  I kinda doubt Bill Gates was the captain of the football team.
If you're not a nerd these days, you're actually at a disadvantage. [In Nelson's tone from The Simpsons] "Haha!" The nerds got their revenge and then some.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 01, 2011, 06:57:31 AM
If you're not a nerd these days, you're actually at a disadvantage. [In Nelson's tone from The Simpsons] "Haha!" The nerds got their revenge and then some.

Methinks you're right, Frys Girl.  Every kid from 4 years-old up has an iPod attached to his fingers.  It's a tech world, and those nerds from high school are the ones who created all the streaming video options, the cell phones, Angry Birds, etc.  I have a brilliant family member whose early childhood was a challenge because of Asperger's Syndrome.  Today he's an incredibly popular and well-adjusted college student, all because he lived in a little world of taking computers apart and reassembling them starting when he was about 8.  It's the triumph of the nerds.  In another era, he'd have been the "loser" kid eating by himself in the cafeteria. 

Quote from: Lovely Bones on September 01, 2011, 07:30:52 AM
In another era, he'd have been the "loser" kid eating by himself in the cafeteria.

Ian fits the image in my mind of the spaz that picked his nose constantly and was ever worrysome when "lice check" day came around.

I don't get using "nerd" dismissively, like it's a horrible thing or a mark of shame. It's definitely rare that I see it thrown around in that context anymore so when I do it stands out. If nothing else it seems very dated, and would likely have fit in better 20 years ago. Is this high school or what?

Of course Ian is a nerd. We all are if there's something in our lives we feel strongly enough about to take to the internet and discuss.

GSD

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on September 01, 2011, 07:33:52 AM
Ian fits the image in my mind of the spaz that picked his nose constantly and was ever worrysome when "lice check" day came around.

OMG, this is worded so well, this is equal with Amiable Doofus!!! Well said, exactly, you know POONIT never got any POON.

Ian's not a nerd.  He takes his computer in for repairs, I don't picture him even loading new software or backing up files.

Not quite a doofus or a twit either, he seems more of a dweeb.  A very angry, annoying one.

GSD

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 03, 2011, 01:49:12 AM
Ian's not a nerd.  He takes his computer in for repairs, I don't picture him even loading new software or backing up files.

Not quite a doofus or a twit either, he seems more of a dweeb.  A very angry, annoying one.

I agree with you. Most of these guys weren't math guys, that's safe to say. These gents excelled at writing, in George's case, repeating over and over on the teacher's chalk board,

"I will not talk aloud in class, I will not shit my pants and stink up the classroom, I will promise to pick my nose in private, I will not look at another boy's balls".

Lovely Bones

Quote from: GSD on September 03, 2011, 01:57:29 AM
These gents excelled at writing, in George's case, repeating over and over on the teacher's chalk board [ . . . ]

Knapp and Ian excelled at writing, of that I have no doubt. 

But Snoory?  Nuh uh. 

He was in the Yellow Birds reading group, a distinction carefully crafted so that the children in his first grade class couldn't easily discern these were the "poor readers."  Ian and GK were in the Red Birds, the group with early wings that flew well.  The Yellow Birds were stumbling over "cat" and "hat" and "spot" and "run" while the Red Birds were dreaming of "blasting out of the Mojave Desert like a sirocco, blazing across the land, into your town, into your home, slamming into your radio like a supercharged nano particle of dark energy."

Quote from: GSD on September 03, 2011, 01:38:59 AM
OMG, this is worded so well, this is equal with Amiable Doofus!!! Well said, exactly, you know POONIT never got any POON.
:D
Poonit getting no Poon CONFIRMED

SnapT

This latest Ian zombie show is HORRIBLE.  Like listening to blood dry.

Quote from: SnapT on September 04, 2011, 01:02:00 AM

Soo... Ian didn't take Hurricane Irene as a sign from God not to do the Zombie show...?

GSD

And did you expect anything more? POONit is world famous for beating a dead horse, which makes matters worse. The sad part is that POONit and Snoory actually think they're celebrities as opposed to radio PERSONALITIES, there is a distinction.

Can you imagine if Snoory was zombified? He's already brain dead alive, I'm betting he'd be one of those zombies that would constantly walk into a wall over and over again, just extra zombie stupid. He's got the droopy eyes, he'd be perfect as a zombie.

SnapT

Now he's comparing fictional alternate history ZOMBIES to 9-11 VICTIMS.  Did Ian hear last night's Noory show and he's trying to out-horrible him?

Quote from: SnapT on September 04, 2011, 01:31:07 AM
Now he's comparing fictional alternate history ZOMBIES to 9-11 VICTIMS.  Did Ian hear last night's Noory show and he's trying to out-horrible him?

Art is spinning in his grave

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 04, 2011, 01:11:12 AM
Soo... Ian didn't take Hurricane Irene as a sign from God not to do the Zombie show...?
yes thats why he postponed it one week..  :P

SnapT

Ian just admitted that he tried to get the author of ABE LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER to come on the show and pretend it's a true story.  The author refused.  Smart guy!

(Though that would actually be WAY more interesting than these zombie shows.  Lincoln at least is a person that actually EXISTED at one point.)

Morgus

Ian finally dumped the zombie guy after 2 hours and went to open lines for the last hour.

Quote from: SnapT on September 04, 2011, 01:51:17 AM
Ian just admitted that he tried to get the author of ABE LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER to come on the show and pretend it's a true story.  The author refused.  Smart guy!
So Poonit admitted that he would lie and attempt to fool his audience. It's time for Poonit to leave the show as well.

SnapT

Ian thinks he's Orson Welles or something.  C2C ain't the Mercury Theater, pal!  Ian's too lazy to even come up with a cool show intro for himself, yet he thinks he can convincingly pretend there was a zombie outbreak for three hours straight and have that be entertaining.

WOTR

YES! Dodged a bullet.  I turned on the radio for about two minutes and it sounded too much like the WWZ show so off it went. 

I know they mentioned prions, did they mention the zombie ants?  Being as Ian seems to love zombies, he should do a show on them with an actual scientist- if he could find an expert willing to do a C2C zombie show just knowing that the question about the fungus spreading to people would be asked...  I love that a fungus takes control of the ants, forces them to climb a plant and clamp down on the underside of a leaf at a specific time before the fungus bursts through their head, grows a stock and infects other ants...  Google it for some really cool images- one without the "stalk" growing out of the ants head attached below...

He could bring in a guest to talk about jewel wasps who inject venom into the brains of cockroaches, drag them to their lairs and lay eggs in the cockroaches abdomen.  The larva hatches and eats the living cockroach for 7-8 days before emerging...

There are so many better "zombie" subjects than discussing garbage fiction as though it were reality with an author, but I suppose there are no books to hack if you interview a scientist...

Real zombie ants found here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110511-zombies-ants-fungus-infection-spores-bite-noon-animals-science/
Real zombie cockroaches here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/12/071206-roach-zombie.html

valdez

This latest Ian zombie show is HORRIBLE.  Like listening to blood dry...
Quote from: GSD on September 04, 2011, 01:14:03 AM
And did you expect anything more?
Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 04, 2011, 01:41:12 AM
Art is spinning in his grave...

Heck, it wasn't that bad.  At least he knew it was wearing thin and cut short his zombie interview with Steven Schlozman.  I still give him credit for trying to do something a little different.  And hey, we learned about those zombie ants, didn't we?  And during his segment with Mark Zicree we learned that George appears on that special blue ray Twilight Zone something or other giving his unique commentary, didn't we?  And from Mathew Algeo we learned that Grover Cleavland was sick and ...something, didn't we?  Yeah.  Yeah.

yeah

valdez

onan

At least it wasn't shadow ants.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I thought the Zombie stuff was okay......but I was more interested in the Grover Cleveland author who got short shifted to 15 minutes after another visit from TWILIGHT ZONE EXPERT MARC ZICREE!!!!! What pictures does this guy have that he can get on all the time, now with Ian as well????

WOTR

So they touched on the ants.  I would still like to hear a scientist or two discuss the fungi that infects ants, moths and certain other insects.  I like the jewel wasp turning the cockroach into a living incubator.  Would love to hear more about the parasites that make grasshoppers jump to their deaths into pools of water so that the parasitic worms can burst out of their thoracic cavity and reproduce.  Perhaps something about the parasitic worms that infect snails to force them into the open to be eaten by birds.  They could talk about another parasitic wasp that turns caterpillars into cocoon protectors through mind control.  I would even settle for liver fluke worms that control the behavior of ants...There have to be more of these situations than I know about... but it would mean a bit of research for the host.

I may be alone in this, but the idea of real parasitic mind control and behavioral influencing fungi sounds like a coast "issue."  It is real, provable, there are experts to interview and I really would find a half hour interview to be more interesting than rehashing zombies... I usually like Ian, but still can not bring myself to listen to last nights show (even if the topic of the fungi ants was brought up I have very little doubt that the science was ignored in favour of science fiction.)

Frys Girl

I didn't like the show on zombies THAT much, but I will say that Ian is being creative in putting effort and enthusiasm into the show, things George Noory knows nothing about. Kudos to Ian Punnett.