• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

PS4 vs. Xbox One.....

Started by steelbot, November 02, 2013, 03:36:44 AM

steelbot

FIGHT!

So, Sony and Microsoft have sort of released their machine specs and will's and won'ts to the technobable.  Short, Sony won't - MS will allow a lot more and by that I mean virtually any exterior music or videos you have.  Also, working with existing Media Serving tech and future stuff....Sony won't...when asked, they said DLNA is something you folks want?, we'll look in to it and pass that onto developers.

I do not plan on getting either anytime soon, but if anyone IS, check it...

Engadget reports...and comments sections someone said Ryse is struggling to play at 900p and is Xbox One's top game right now...not Forza 5 or my opinion of how things are going to go down..

..Top Game?  I'd say look to the future, and put your money where your mouth is...I wager Ryse a close 2nd or 3rd but #1 for me and i'm not even buying cause i can't afford either right now but maybe the game will play on my pc rig...  http://www.titanfall.com/

And I'll give you....in my bag oh ps4.... http://us.playstation.com/ps4/games/kill-zone-ps4.htmlof

trailer looks good....should have gotten Keith David..!

DanTSX

Sony sucks at DRM and content rights.  They always have, and always will.  They are like the moron who puts 500 locks on their door and makes it a real bitch to get into your own house.

Microsoft is smart by being open.

But ultimately, it will come down to the games and how they are played.  Look how PS3 essentially won the last pairing......Microsoft charged you every year, Sony did not......Sony won because the content did not matter so much.  Now we have much more of a "cloud based" model of digital rights ownership, and again, Sony may have protected themselves to the point where they dun fucked themselves.

We will see.  I am putting my money on Sony offering a better gaming experience regardless.

For netTV type functions, I'll roll with future iterations of the AppleTV.  I am already in that content biosphere, and apple does a decent job with it.

steelbot

Quote from: DanTSX on November 03, 2013, 07:00:43 PM
Sony sucks at DRM and content rights.  They always have, and always will.  They are like the moron who puts 500 locks on their door and makes it a real bitch to get into your own house.

Microsoft is smart by being open.

But ultimately, it will come down to the games and how they are played.  Look how PS3 essentially won the last pairing......Microsoft charged you every year, Sony did not......Sony won because the content did not matter so much.  Now we have much more of a "cloud based" model of digital rights ownership, and again, Sony may have protected themselves to the point where they dun fucked themselves.

We will see.  I am putting my money on Sony offering a better gaming experience regardless.

For netTV type functions, I'll roll with future iterations of the AppleTV.  I am already in that content biosphere, and apple does a decent job with it.
Thats funny MS has gotten more money from me than sony could ever hope and all my friends...and is way more successful as a machine that outsold out performed in all categories the pS3

and i haven't bought a new game from MS or any company cause I pirate them too - Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my apple tv is on the shelf unutilized do to tv's and pcs that can do it all already and my xbox 360 - drm easily blocked on hdmi video cap =PP

Quote from: Wintermute on November 04, 2013, 01:00:19 PM
PC for life

Same here.  I'm done with console gaming for the most part.  I'm gonna save up the money I would spend on a new console on getting a good PC build.

ald

I have always had a PlayStation however after looking at some of the specs for the PS4 I think i'm going to wait to see what happens. It also seems that most video game developers are moving to the whole online gaming thing and are putting more emphasis on that. I don't have home internet so I was never able to play some of my games to their full potential. For example in Gran Turismo 5 the only way to get serious credits is to play online. I just got Grand Theft Auto 5 and the story is like watching a movie but it seems a huge chunk of the cool action is online.

Gran Turismo 6 comes out next month but since it's most likely a huge online game as well I might just not buy it. First time since the first Gran Turismo that I feel like that.

But to stay on topic Playstation is on the winning side with this console battle.

jobe1022

As Someone who has been part of every video game console to date I will say this. I don't care which is better or worse, I am a true gamer and will get both and add it to my Wii U. No sense in denying myself a gamming experience over brand loyalty or specs. I will say though I have played my 360 more then my PS3 there were some games that made the PS3 worth having for example  "The Last of US".
But to me Id rather Sink money into a computer. Id be driving a Bentley if I had saved all the cash I have spent on PC hardware over all my years. OH well I had lots of fun with the money I spent.

and on the Mater of experience PC will always be better, but at a higher cost.
PC>WiiU>=XBOX>=PlayStation>=RL

Textor

Quote from: Wintermute on November 04, 2013, 01:00:19 PM
PC for life

Totally agree. I've had so many arguments with my friends about why I should have bought Skyrim on 360 or PS3 (No, I want my Elder Scrolls on a PC, thank you. Mods are awesome.) or any other games that I get on PC rather than 360 or PS3.

As for the question of this topic... I'm going Xbox One. I already have a bluray player called a PS3, and the One has a lot of features that I'm quite excited about (voice control my cable!? Now I don't have to re-memorize my channels when Comcast changes the lineup for the 8th time that year!). Bottom line is that the Xbox has been my console since I bought it-- originally I went with the Wii, but the 360 won me over completely. sure, I pay $60 a year for Live, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and I barely even notice the expense when it comes around every November.

Zoo

I'm with the Princess on this one PS4!!1

"PS4."

*throws down microphone and walks offstage*

area51drone

Okay, I'll throw my hat into this ring..

I used to be a PC gamer, but eventually I got to the point where I got sick of trying to keep up with the expensive hardware, the game patches and all the other bullshit PC people have to deal with, and my wife bought me an XBOX 360 and I haven't looked back since.    It's just a lot easier to sit down with a console, pop a game in and know it will work (and patches are applied automatically)... 

But right now I'm on the fence about a new console.   First off, I'm not sure if I'd go with the PS4 or the One:

1)  I like that PS4 doesn't require you to buy a subscription to play with your friends, but now that Bing is basically giving away free Live if you use it, I don't know if that's such a big deal anymore. 

2)  I also liked that PS4 was saying you could buy your games and not be connected to the internet to play them, but did Microsoft backpedal on that?   

3) I think One has a better console design in that it seems to me like it will be more robust thermally and potentially quieter - maybe some of you have comments on this?   

And second, I'm just not sure I'm convinced that the graphics are far and away better for either box yet.   XBOX 360 games look pretty damned good IMO.  I'm sure there are incremental improvements, but I look at BF4 videos versus the BF3 I'm used to on the 360 and they don't look staggeringly different.    I realize that games on new consoles will always not take the full advantage of the new chipset, but I was expecting more.

So, for now at least, I'm not buying anything and just enjoying my 360.   Am I making the wrong choice here?

Textor

Quote from: area51drone on November 23, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
2)  I also liked that PS4 was saying you could buy your games and not be connected to the internet to play them, but did Microsoft backpedal on that?   

Microsoft reversed their position on the One being always-online after much backlash. They also reversed their position on allowing for used games to be traded/bought.

onan

This is the reason I have given up on all gaming. There is no reason to need an internet connection to play a single player game.

So, for now at least, I'm not buying anything and just enjoying my 360.   Am I making the wrong choice here?

Nah, I'm sitting back as well. I'm waiting for better deals, games, and maybe even models to come out. Still enjoying my 360 and PS3. I mean, I haven't even played The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls yet. There's still a lot to do there, so why rush?

area51drone

I hear you, I'm still playing games that are 4-5 years old and enjoying them.   Hell, I haven't even finished GTA IV yet.   My last game purchase about 5 months ago was MX vs ATV Reflex, used for about $9, and when I get the chance to play it, it's as fun as hell.   

Quote from: area51drone on November 23, 2013, 02:49:29 PM
I hear you, I'm still playing games that are 4-5 years old and enjoying them.   Hell, I haven't even finished GTA IV yet.   My last game purchase about 5 months ago was MX vs ATV Reflex, and when I get the chance to play it, it's as fun as hell.

Yeah, over the years I've collected/regained almost every console from the 8-bit gen and on. I've been playing some old Dreamcast titles lately now that I have some free time again. So, since I have no shortage of "new" retro entertainment, I don't really feel the need to rabidly obsess over the next big thing just yet.

Designx

Too many fraggers on Xbox and I hate FPS. I game on PC, PS3 (rarely), iPad, and a couple handhelds - I go for the console that has the greater variety of games which is by far PC. Since many of the PC games coming out of late are indie, they are cheap and run on older hardware.

I PC as well, don't get me wrong. I spent about 300 a few years back building my new tower with a GTX460. Hilariously enough, it was with an i3 mobo kit (4 gigs included with a TB HDD) that was the exact same price as the GPU. Anyways, went up to 8GB now with a RAID config on a new HDD. So, I'm pretty set. :)

area51drone

But all that PC hardware costs big bucks, of which I feel don't make the games any better.  My dad just dropped $1,700 on a build I put together for him, an i7 4820k  with a gtx780, ssd, the works.  It's fast and although I haven't seen any games on it, I'm sure they are as beautiful as can be.  But great graphics don't make great games anyway, and now a days, major studios dumb down their graphics somewhat for the lowest common denominator.  So until PS3's and Xbox 360's are not the norm, expect games to not even live up to their full potential.   Hence why you'll get to enjoy probably 80% of the best stuff out there just by buying a console that will cost you less than $500.  (and if you wait, $300 or less) A much better value, IMO.

Quote from: area51drone on November 24, 2013, 04:21:04 AM
But all that PC hardware costs big bucks, of which I feel don't make the games any better.  My dad just dropped $1,700 on a build I put together for him, an i7 4820k  with a gtx780, ssd, the works.  It's fast and although I haven't seen any games on it, I'm sure they are as beautiful as can be.  But great graphics don't make great games anyway, and now a days, major studios dumb down their graphics somewhat for the lowest common denominator.  So until PS3's and Xbox 360's are not the norm, expect games to not even live up to their full potential.   Hence why you'll get to enjoy probably 80% of the best stuff out there just by buying a console that will cost you less than $500.  (and if you wait, $300 or less) A much better value, IMO.

What we really need is a revolution in how to visualize stuff. 3D glasses, laser projection, interactive mist, or something, I'm not sure what but the processing power is there.

I haven't built a new computer in 2 years-waiting for the DDR4 rollout myself.

area51drone

It's coming... sort of.   You already had 3D, at least with Nvidia on the PC and Xbox 360, and I'm sure the PS3 supported it too, right?   I have a Sony HMZ-T1 and it's great, but I haven't had a lot of time to play games since I bought it.   Great thing is that it works with the Xbox, a blu ray player, and my PC.   But Oculus Rift is right around the corner.  So is Jerri Elsworth's head mounted projector display if you think that's going to go anywhere (I do not).   They also have 360 degree treadmills.

No that I think about it I guess I do have a gaming PC that I use somewhat regularly, but it is really just a Flight Sim computer that has my yolk, radio and instrument panels in front of it.    It has a gtx260 in it, which seems to be good enough for most of what FSX throws at it.  It's doubling as a MIDI DAW station right now too.

wr250

the ps4 uses a modified FreeBSD operating system. just need to find a hack to dual boot FreeBSD and then we can have a computer and a game console all in one.

Quote from: area51drone on November 25, 2013, 01:07:34 AM
Oh, monk.. did you read about this too? 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/22/getting-to-the-bottom-of-a-digital-lollipop/?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&

So soon you'll be able to taste your games too.

I am going to write a game where you go to a bar. Thats it.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 25, 2013, 12:17:24 PM
I am going to write a game where you go to a bar. Thats it.

Combine that as a lead in to http://www.sinfulrobot.com/ and I think you have a winner.

steelbot

Quote from: area51drone on November 24, 2013, 01:04:37 PM
It's coming... sort of.   You already had 3D, at least with Nvidia on the PC and Xbox 360, and I'm sure the PS3 supported it too, right?   I have a Sony HMZ-T1 and it's great, but I haven't had a lot of time to play games since I bought it.   Great thing is that it works with the Xbox, a blu ray player, and my PC.   But Oculus Rift is right around the corner.  So is Jerri Elsworth's head mounted projector display if you think that's going to go anywhere (I do not).   They also have 360 degree treadmills.

No that I think about it I guess I do have a gaming PC that I use somewhat regularly, but it is really just a Flight Sim computer that has my yolk, radio and instrument panels in front of it.    It has a gtx260 in it, which seems to be good enough for most of what FSX throws at it.  It's doubling as a MIDI DAW station right now too.

I watched some BF4 on both consoles on twitch the other night and I just think it's what you want is what you'll get.  For me, I'll settle with the slight bump/downbump for a 500 dollar machine, i probably couldn't build it for cheaper. *depending on how you look and feel about pc gaming* for a console that sits in my room, and has voice controls, plays blue rays, 3d, can use as my web cam to keep in touch with friends and family, and also it plays all my current blurays/backed up media.  So personally the interface looks pretty cool when it works and is in the right enviroment.  The kinect can be disabled so no worries there, and they've already dumped the first game c4eva has so...it'll be firmware flashed someday it's just that whose investing in 47gb burnable blurays at this point.  Mine are only 25gb verbatim discs so .... ODDE solutions will have to come around, as it already did for 360...(USB DISC EMULATION)

area51drone

Quote from: steelbot on November 25, 2013, 05:49:22 PM
they've already dumped the first game c4eva has so...it'll be firmware flashed someday it's just that whose investing in 47gb burnable blurays at this point.  Mine are only 25gb verbatim discs so .... ODDE solutions will have to come around, as it already did for 360...(USB DISC EMULATION)

I don't know what you're talking about here.  What's c4eva?  What do you mean about firmware flashing - the kinect or the XB1?   You must be talking about hacking the XB1 to play free games?

steelbot

Quote from: area51drone on November 27, 2013, 08:15:34 AM
I don't know what you're talking about here.  What's c4eva?  What do you mean about firmware flashing - the kinect or the XB1?   You must be talking about hacking the XB1 to play free games?
2 POINTS! - c4eva is a person THE person responsible for flashing the current 360 xbox dvd drives with an open firmware that defeated MS's lockdowns on allowing dual layer dvdr's to work as recording media.  THen he released one for a cheap 10-15 dollar dvd burner drive that would let you burn the full 8.6-7 gig games on and do a nearly 1:1 copy - but now with larger formats that's not going to be relevent...so with the xbox ONE - they'll need to come up with a Harddrive solution that emulates a discdrive.  They already have such things on the internet i hear, called the xkey for instance that works with 360s....