• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Textor

Quote from: mattjs2732 on November 22, 2013, 12:32:45 AM
If they were bought out by  another company, said company would have rights to all content, including all contracts and the NC.

http://www.libertymedia.com/assets-siriusxm.aspx

Xitheron

Here's something puzzling to me as a sorta newbie here..

It seems like as much as some people think George/Dave/$noorey/etc. sux, that, that is what they're listening to....

And if it really is the love of the genre itself, and this is the best there is, then it seems odd that the actual subject matter of the shows themselves aren't discussed more. I don't know...sorry had a few tonight.

Producer-Paul

Quote from: jazmunda on November 22, 2013, 12:32:40 AM
Don't make me prank call you.
...snip...

DO IT!!!
It's a voicemail only box so you won't wake any one up..
You may have your message posted on the artbell site if you aren't careful..   ;D

Now seriously,..
Good night all!

Zzzzzzzz

Textor

Quote from: Xitheron on November 22, 2013, 12:38:15 AM

It seems like as much as some people think George/Dave/$noorey/etc. sux, that, that is what they're listening to....

And if it really is the love of the genre itself, and this is the best there is, then it seems odd that the actual subject matter of the shows themselves aren't discussed more. I don't know...sorry had a few tonight.

I think it is because everyone just likes getting together to discuss the nightly flubs, stumbles, and stupidity of the show. A collective "WTF" experience that we can all discuss and laugh about knowingly.

Plus we get to keep recording evidence of our hypothesis that "George Noory Sucks."

Xitheron

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 22, 2013, 12:31:55 AM
Its not Woody Allen? or Junior Soprano?

Nope Larry David... I made it out of this...

Heather Wade

Quote from: Xitheron on November 22, 2013, 12:38:15 AM

I can only speak for myself, but it is difficult to concentrate on the subject matter when the host is as dumb as a box of rocks.  The dude asked if gold was expensive for the Annunaki once.  I swear he did. 

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: mattjs2732 on November 22, 2013, 12:32:45 AM
From my experience, it would be bought out by another company for super cheap before declaring Chapter 7 bankruptcy (Total liquidation of assets and closing doors.) If they were bought out by  another company, said company would have rights to all content, including all contracts and the NC.

If Chapter 7 was declared, then it would no longer be in effect, as there is no longer any company to enforce it.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I see.  For another corporation to buy a product circling the drain, they would have to make wholesale changes to turn it around and make it profitable.  I'd think the exorbitant salary of Stern alone would scare off many potential buyers. 

Surmo

But you added almost a Rastafarian lock of hair to the image.

Xitheron

Yeah I agree!  That's why I don't listen to him. Why torture yourself haha

Xitheron

Quote from: Textor on November 22, 2013, 12:39:53 AM
I think it is because everyone just likes getting together to discuss the nightly flubs, stumbles, and stupidity of the show. A collective "WTF" experience that we can all discuss and laugh about knowingly.

Plus we get to keep recording evidence of our hypothesis that "George Noory Sucks."

Well that makes sense I reckon ;D

Falkie2013

Quote from: Textor on November 22, 2013, 12:12:15 AM
Heh. I read this as IT (Information Technology) like the department, so I'm like, "Why are they broadcasting an IT department? Don't they know how inane our chatter is?"

NO.

Sirius has no IT department.

When I say IT, it's an homage to Stripes & Bill Murray and his description of a blown up Sgt. Hulka.

The hybrid mustache people walk among us.

One of them has his own radio show but it never gets heard in the forest though falling trees there are much more smarter, popular and funny.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Textor on November 22, 2013, 12:35:27 AM
http://www.libertymedia.com/assets-siriusxm.aspx

"A satellite radio company delivering commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather."

Haha, this is from your link Textor.  "Commercial-free"?  False advertising (pun intended).

Xitheron

Quote from: Surmo on November 22, 2013, 12:42:43 AM
But you added almost a Rastafarian lock of hair to the image.

I think that's just shadows. I processed the hell out of it without really knowing what I was doing.  Didn't add anything..

Quote from: Art Bell on November 21, 2013, 06:17:41 PM
Hi there everybody. Well it is a sad day for me indeed. I got a call from the Manager I have been working
with since the start of all this and the answer was NO. The further answer was they do intend to hold me
to a NC. This Manager is a good guy and what decisions that were made, were made above his head.

I did contact a Lawyer who I will not identify unless he wants to be known but I can proudly tell you he is
one of you! He was willing to proceed and felt we had a good chance to win BUT it is expensive and as any
of you know who have ever gone down that road know, it takes a long time. So if my health holds I will see
you in less than two Years.

Below is a copy of my last email to Sirius/XM minus the name of the Manager to who it was sent:

First, you may recall I said to you that I thought you would not get much of a bump from putting Coast on, was I right?
Have you actually listened to that show? Have you REALLY listened? You put him on 104 which was I guess a nice way
to get back at me, but that guy is a joke. How many people rushed to put any money down to listen to Coast on 104? I
bet nobody, all this plus they are doing what I asked for and more!

1. I said what I would like is to be back on but wanted to stream for free, but leave the value added stuff to Sirius/XM
   you said no. As it stands now I presume the streaming still does not work properly and will not, till at best August or
   so. You said this was a good idea for me but not Sirius. I disagree, if we develop millions of listener's, in what World
   is that bad for Sirius in any way? If you can charge BIG bucks per commercial minute.....Broadcasting 101, it's a good thing.

2. We talked about one day with streaming, I asked about other days, you said we could talk about that, we never did.

3. As it stands now people MUST pay about $180.00 a Year if they want to hear Art Bell, why not allow listeners the option of JUST
    streaming my show for a lesser fee? It could be pro rated, IF it just worked properly.

4. I said I would be willing to buy the Studio gear for whatever you paid if I could be released from my Non Compete, I have not yet
    heard a answer to that one, though you did once say you would not let me go, you sent me a reply saying you would consider it.

5. I can wait out the remaining time, then stream, which it looks like I will be doing at 70 Years of age.

I just for the life of me can not see why everything with Sirius/XM has to be lumped together in a Business model that works for non
  commercial music just fine, but lumps Talk Radio in with it. I understand why it works for Howard, he had little choice unless he
  wanted to keep paying fines. I don't know about Dr. Laura.

Two things I can tell you about me, every time I crack the mike I put 110% into it, it takes a lot of work and I am willing to give my time
and energy happily but not if I have no way to grow the audience. I have millions of people waiting for a way to hear me and they would pay
something to do so, but asking them to become subs for $180.00 bucks a Year with a service that does not work well will not get them there.

The other thing is Coast, I will not share time with them. I thought hard about that, and there is no way I would rejoin under any conditions
while you carry them. The reason I came back on is because that show is a insult to the entire field, not to mention at least 45% of it is
commercial or breaks of some sort while the rest is just plain bad Radio.

I truly enjoyed working with you and everybody else at Sirius/XM and wish there was a way to work this out. I understand you think the way
forward is exclusive content and perhaps you are right but in my opinion the World will pass you very shortly while trying to hold on to this
model. It really already is. Nobody tried to stop all the Pirates, every one of my shows was and is available for download the next day, great
for the guy who doesn't want to pay but not so great for the Talk Host who wants the live calls, how does this make sense???

Art

So, there it is. From the bottom of my heart I want to thank all of you for so much support. I wish it had worked out
in some way but there were forces at work that I never thought about, I am just a talking head........

Dear Mr. Bell,
I am very sorry to see you leave after only 6 weeks back in the seat. I truly missed you during your hiatus from radio, and was thrilled to see you back.
However, I wonder if your head is trapped in a time warp back in the late 90s? There are a few things that have changed.
Back then, you had a massive audience. But 10-13 years out of the limelight, can adversely affect your popularity. Tons of people these days have never even heard of you.
People these days, because of social media, have greatly reduced attention spans. I really doubt many "new people" have the wherewithal to focus for 3 hrs.
Although I'm crazy for the paranormal, I think as a genre, it peaked in 2000, and has been in a serious decline, as sad as that is.
Lastly, I'd like to point out the country is in a serious economic contraction, and the masses that make up your audience, are becoming increasingly poor. Having spent the last 3 days on this forum, I've been shocked at how broke the average poster here is. I haven't been back to the states more than 3 vacations since 99, so this is quite a surprise. I realized you are very well off, after pricing some of those condos in makati last summer. They are higher than shanghai. So, I can't imagine you have any idea of the plight of your average long time fans.
I think you should have been a little patient, and not expected to be stepping back into 1997. I also feel for all your broke assed fans who went out and bought those radios and subscriptions with their beleaguered expendable incomes.
I hope to hear from you again in a couple years, but next time please don't be such a flake. Especially, as you have stated, since its for the love of your trade.
Best regards.

mattjs2732

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 22, 2013, 12:47:42 AM

"A satellite radio company delivering commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather."

Haha, this is from your link Textor.  "Commercial-free"?  False advertising (pun intended).

It's badly worded, but its meant as, "Commercial-free music," with the other genres being a separate entity from the music, which basically says that anything goes on the other genres.

And that is true, their core channels of music that is exclusive to SiriusXM is commercial free. Channels like Margaritaville Radio are not SiriuxXM exclusive, and are not included in the "commercial-free music" genres.

Not that I agree with the wording of course.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: RoseGirl on November 21, 2013, 10:37:01 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Catsmile-ish person....but yes, when huge amounts of corporate money, threats and international borders are involve...yes...the FBI is involved.
BULLSHIT!!!!

WOTR

Quote from: Rockaria on November 21, 2013, 07:21:37 PM
I don't want Art to fight anything or anybody, using his money or Monopoly paper. He deserves to ENJOY life and hangout with Asia if he wants to. He rolled the dice and lost this particular game. The suits want to claim victory, but what a hollow ring. They should go hang themselves with their silk ties.

Maybe Jorche will fall down a flight of stairs and bust his gut before Sept. 2015. Or choke on a molten lava midnite schnack. Maybe Sirius will get bought out by a Bell fan and truly free Art. Anything could happen. We yak about mind experiments but when the shit hits the FAN, no one really believes in it. I do.  It worked in September 2013 . . . I'm going for it again.
I loved this post and it pretty much sums up my feelings.  I honestly wish Art the best and wish him a great couple of years with his family.  At the end of that time, I really hope to find him broadcasting again.  Much like this time, I will take a ride... Much like this time, I will not know if it will be a couple of blocks or across a few states.  Whatever it is, I will enjoy it.

Needle woman

Quote from: Shastalexy on November 21, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
I like Falkie... a lot.  He's a good guy... kind... everyone here didn't come in 2 or 3 or 4 years ago... 

I used to go into the AOL Chat room in the 90's... into the Grassy Knoll...  is anyone here, from there?

I used to go into the Grassy Knoll, too!  I looked forward to Friday nights when I could listen to Art and chat with everyone at the same time, good people, good times.

Falkie2013

Hmm,  Art Bell could go door to door and ask people what is their opinion of George Noory like Leno does out on the streets around LA.

I'm going to miss Leno.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen any news clippings with Nooryisms in them a la Jay's Headlines clippings.

George is an idiot. It's funny to listen to him.

WOTR

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 21, 2013, 09:28:10 PM
That is what Keith is working on for artbell.com 

Email him any podcasters you like or think would be a good fit for the genre.
webmaster@artbell.com
I might have to email him... Any idea if Knapp would be willing to do a once weekly podcast?  I doubt he does Coast for the money (day job and all that jazz) and he could set his own hours.  I do not know what his NC clause would look like, but I really want a Knapp / Bell team and we could get an amazing headstart.

*** Please, please, please???  Please

Lol I'm listening to fort rocks favorite show fringe radio.

Some guys pissed that people are portraying vampires as walking in the day.

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 21, 2013, 08:53:12 PM
It's a bad situation all around. I'm just being realistic.
Dude, you are stalking the joint and bagging on Art. Are you from Premiere and attempting to drive the stake through our hearts?

Why don't you do us a favor and stick your head inside the cowl of a turning Rolls Royce turbo-fan.

Uncle Duke

Finally home, long day.  Thanks for all the congrats on my granddaughter. Looking forward to teaching her how to handicap football games.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 22, 2013, 01:37:37 AM
Finally home, long day.  Thanks for all the congrats on my granddaughter. Looking forward to teaching her how to handicap football games.
Yep congratulations!!!!!

WOTR

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 21, 2013, 06:25:47 PM
*snip
I'll be sticking around here as I've sort of grown to like you folks...

Paul
What's not to like about us?
***On second thought, never mind.  A complete list might bring this thread to page 1000 after all...

Quote from: onan on November 21, 2013, 07:44:51 PM
don't ever take any of this too much to heart. we are pretty much all strangers. If a guy at the car wash gave you attitude, more than likely you would forget about it in 5 minutes... think of this as a car wash.
I have never had my car sprayed with pig manure at a carwash... ;)

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on November 22, 2013, 01:35:56 AM
Dude, you are stalking the joint and bagging on Art. Are you from Premiere and attempting to drive the stake through our hearts?

Why don't you do us a favor and stick your head inside the cowl of a turning Rolls Royce turbo-fan.

Yawn. If that's your opinion then you haven't been paying attention.

Don't forget to play her old broadcasts of Art Bell, so she can learn to recognize and love the sound of his voice, just as she no doubt already recognizes and loves the sound of yours, Gran'pa Duke!

Congratulations.

Falkie2013

Congrats to you and her also, and the parents.
Just don't let her take any bets on when Art will come back.
;)

Quote from: General Johnson Jamison on November 21, 2013, 11:56:26 PM
It's over man.

I doubt Art will come back in two years. Even if he does I've kind of lost interest in him because of his antics. Art could come back and then leave again suddenly. This wouldn't surprise me.

It was good while it lasted.

Time to listen to Howard for the next two years. At least he is a consistent, professional broadcaster.

My lord, I so agree. Part of the reason I was excited for Art to come back is the professional standard Howard set by always staying on air, even through a lawsuit. I naively thought the contract between Art Bell and Sirius would be like concrete, and we were basically guaranteed two years of Dark Matter. I now realize it was Howard's loyalty to his fans and staff that kept him there, and not being pampered and coddled by Sirius. Say what you want about the man, he has a work ethic like no other. So sad Art Bell took such an archaic tactic to attempt to satisfy his demands. How could he not realize he would be breaking our hearts in the process?! In hindsight, 10 min then a drop, and another 10 min and a drop, or listening to him on demand would have been perfection compared to what we have now.