• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What kind of dog should I get?

Started by Marc.Knight, July 12, 2009, 10:32:31 AM

Marc.Knight

I am thinking about getting a dog (i.e. puppy).  What kind should I get and why?  Thanks.

Frys Girl

Lucky you! I recently became a dog owner. I adopted a Boston Terrier puppy. She and her mom had been abandoned by a backyard breeder. I was scared to take her on because she had some health problems, but after a few months, let me tell you, she has bounced back and is on fire. I attribute her  recovery to her breed, which is known to be very sturdy and hardy.

I also am glad with my decision to have a Boston because 1. they don't shed a lot 2. they don't need much grooming - just nail cutting every 2 weeks and a shower every month/2 months. 3. their size is manageable. you can play with them and not get injured. 4. they don't bark unless it's an emergency/excited playing. 5. they are SO easy to train. My dog has learned so many tricks/commands already, that I'm amazed. So are other people who meet her. They always comment that "wow, she already knows that?" I've never had a dog before, so I don't mean to brag. It's just something I've noticed. 

I'm a cat enthusiast, but if I owned a dog it'd probably be something small like a Pomeranian or a Dotson. Fry and Ev know about all that stuff though.

Oh wait, I changed my mind. I actually like those little Scottish dogs.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on July 12, 2009, 10:42:56 AM
I'm a cat enthusiast, but if I owned a dog it'd probably be something small like a Pomeranian or a Dotson. Fry and Ev know about all that stuff though.

Oh wait, I changed my mind. I actually like those little Scottish dogs.
Scottish terriers? They are wonderful dogs too. But they need A LOT of exercise and grooming.

Daschunds are also a nice breed, I've heard. They're a bit defensive/territorial, but with training and TLC, I think a lot of dogs overcome these inherent breed anxieties.

EvB

hahahahahaaaa!

Thank you for giving me yet anther opportunity (rare these days) to yank MV chains over his poodle issues. I have a standard poodle (the BIG kind) and he's a wonderful dog.  Eveyone who likes dogs at all and has met him loves him - even tough-guys.  And no - I do not keep him a a "froufrou" cut - most people who are not showing in the ring don't do that with the big ones - it's too damned much work!

Here he is playing with his buddy "Tess"

And here he is resting up after:

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 12, 2009, 10:45:24 AM
Scottish terriers? They are wonderful dogs too. But they need A LOT of exercise and grooming.

Yeah I wanna get a little black one someday. They're pretty neato.  ;D

Frys Girl

Ev!!!!! He's gorgeous. You know, we have a poodle just like yours nearby. Lucy plays with her every day at the park. His name is Spruce and he's 9 months but still much bigger than Lucy. He is so polite and he tolerates her so well. Lucy is annoying for most older dogs because her energy and excitement is like a fireworks show. Before Spruce, I didn't like Poodles. 

Marc.Knight

My ex-wife had a Bichon Frise.  Super smart, for a dog.

Thanks for the posts.

EvB

OH!  And one more reason you should have a poodle.  While they were originally used for fowl hunting (they are closely related to the Portuguese Water Dog)  - sometime in the middle ages they began being bread as clowns.  They can be very very silly!  But in a fun way.   

They are also ranked as one of the top 3 most intelligent dogs.

mikemcc

For my .02, I really like Golden Retrievers. They are very friendly and are almost always good with kids. They are moderately intelligent and are always anxious to please their owners. (That's why you see so many Goldens as service dogs -- they are easy to train.) As with any purebred, you have to really be careful because they are prone to certain health issues like hip problems, epilepsy, and eye problems. You can reduce the possibility of ending up with a dog that has these problems by checking hip and eye certifications of the puppy's mom and dad and asking about any history of epilepsy. (OTOH, if you are buying from a responsible breeder, he or she would never breed a dog that had a history of epilepsy.) But if you get a Golden, you have to be prepared to make it a permanent member of the family; they don't like being outside dogs that don't get a lot of attention. Oh, and if you get a Golden puppy, you have to have a budget to replace any shoes that you leave out of the closet. And anything else that is small and could even within the remotest of chances be chewed.

If not a Golden, I vote for a shelter mutt. You can find young dogs -- sometimes even puppies -- at a shelter. In my experience, mutts seem to be the longest-lived, healthiest dogs because there has been less inbreeding. Plus, I am convinced that a shelter dog knows perfectly well that you saved it and will be eternally grateful and loyal to you.

I guess that's why I always have one Golden and one shelter mutt. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: mikemcc on July 12, 2009, 12:26:22 PM
For my .02, I really like Golden Retrievers. They are very friendly and are almost always good with kids. They are moderately intelligent and are always anxious to please their owners. (That's why you see so many Goldens as service dogs -- they are easy to train.) As with any purebred, you have to really be careful because they are prone to certain health issues like hip problems, epilepsy, and eye problems. You can reduce the possibility of ending up with a dog that has these problems by checking hip and eye certifications of the puppy's mom and dad and asking about any history of epilepsy. (OTOH, if you are buying from a responsible breeder, he or she would never breed a dog that had a history of epilepsy.) But if you get a Golden, you have to be prepared to make it a permanent member of the family; they don't like being outside dogs that don't get a lot of attention. Oh, and if you get a Golden puppy, you have to have a budget to replace any shoes that you leave out of the closet. And anything else that is small and could even within the remotest of chances be chewed.

If not a Golden, I vote for a shelter mutt. You can find young dogs -- sometimes even puppies -- at a shelter. In my experience, mutts seem to be the longest-lived, healthiest dogs because there has been less inbreeding. Plus, I am convinced that a shelter dog knows perfectly well that you saved it and will be eternally grateful and loyal to you.

I guess that's why I always have one Golden and one shelter mutt.

Thanks so much.

Frys Girl

By the way, I feel so bad for dogs who get dressed up like that (see PW's first post here). I got this e-mail fowarded to me once called "this is why dogs hate halloween". People dress their dogs like weird characters. Obi Wan Kenobi, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Kanye West, Terminator....

http://humor.beecy.net/animals/halloween-dogs/index.aspx?n=0

This one's for Pirate:

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 12, 2009, 02:25:07 PM
By the way, I feel so bad for dogs who get dressed up like that (see PW's first post here). I got this e-mail fowarded to me once called "this is why dogs hate halloween". People dress their dogs like weird characters. Obi Wan Kenobi, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Kanye West, Terminator....

yes, they tend to hate anything put on them.  If only they could verbalize it.

Curtis Loew

I'm partial to German Shepherds although mine's crossed with a Doberman.

Here he his.

EvB

Quote from: PW on July 12, 2009, 02:29:00 PM
yes, they tend to hate anything put on them.  If only they could verbalize it.

It actually depends on what the associate it with - and the individual dog of course. I take Fred most everywhere - he's even allowed at work most of the time.    And - since I live in the Northeast - and he has to have regular haircuts (poodle hair is more like wool than dog fur, it will grow forever and mat up - even felt) he needs jackets (I make most of 'em out of used boy's sweatshirts from the thrift shop) and in icy weather - boots to protect his feet form the chemicals thrown on roads and walkways.  (They are made for dogs - look like baby booties in shape but are usually dark colored nylon with a flexible "rubber" grip sole, and they Velcro around the ankle to keep 'em on.)

Since Fred knows all this "gear" means he's coming with me, and not staying home to torment the cat, he's at least tolerant, if not actually excited when I start to dress him.

Barkley (the beagle mix) OTHO - has had boots and a jacket.  The jacket cuz he's old and gets a chill easily - the boots cuz he has very sensitive feet and they hurt in the cold (again -he's an old man).  He is fine with the jacket - but the boots?  He'll chew them off and suffer, thank you very much.

This is Barkley:

And this is Barkley Photoshopped to look like he's in a poodle suit.  Why?  I dunno - why not?  ;)

Marc.Knight

Yes, when I lived in Vermont, snap on winter coats were essential for dogs when they did their business outdoors or for walks.  They didn't seem to mind wearing that when it was 30 below 0.

Frys Girl

Quote from: PW on July 12, 2009, 02:46:02 PM
Yes, when I lived in Vermont, snap on winter coats were essential for dogs when they did their business outdoors or for walks.  They didn't seem to mind wearing that when it was 30 below 0.
Did you ever see these guys while you were there?

Sophie

PW,

I have a cat, but hope to be a dog owner by year's end.  We used to have a dachshund, who was wonderful and friendly, but a killer.  She killed a guinea pig, and then a bunny.  For nothing more than her own personal benefit. 

I was looking for a Labrador or pound puppy.  My sister has a golden retriever who pretty active, maybe a little to active for us.  Very good with the kids though.

Good luck.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 12, 2009, 03:25:59 PM
Did you ever see these guys while you were there?

Yes.  I toured the ice cream plant.  The VT Teddy Bear Factory is cool too.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Sophie on July 12, 2009, 03:26:01 PM
PW,

I have a cat, but hope to be a dog owner by year's end.  We used to have a dachshund, who was wonderful and friendly, but a killer.  She killed a guinea pig, and then a bunny.  For nothing more than her own personal benefit. 

I was looking for a Labrador or pound puppy.  My sister has a golden retriever who pretty active, maybe a little to active for us.  Very good with the kids though.

Good luck.

When I was a kid we had a German Shepherd.  She tore into a bunch of chickens we had.  First time I ever saw chickens fly in hopes of escape.

Curtis Loew

Quote from: PW on July 12, 2009, 03:33:31 PM
When I was a kid we had a German Shepherd.  She tore into a bunch of chickens we had.  First time I ever saw chickens fly in hopes of escape.

I have to admit my dog did feast on one of Danny's chickens over the back,  still don't really know how he got it.  I just found chicken remnants  in the back yard.

The only trouble with my dog is that he's a bit of a one person dog and sometimes doesn't mix all that well.
No one's going to rob the place though.  ;)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Curtis Loew on July 13, 2009, 01:18:02 AM
I have to admit my dog did feast on one of Danny's chickens over the back,  still don't really know how he got it.  I just found chicken remnants  in the back yard.

The only trouble with my dog is that he's a bit of a one person dog and sometimes doesn't mix all that well.
No one's going to rob the place though.  ;)

GSs can be the sweetest dogs too.  Great friends to have.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 15, 2009, 12:49:24 AM
yellow labrador... all the way.
They are a lot of work! Big dogs = big poops. My dog got her spay last week, and the anti-biotic gave her diarrhea (must be from all those FEMA birth control hormones Alex Jones says are in everything) and it was such a pain. I can't imagine what it's like when a big dog gets diarrhea. OTOH, maybe they don't get it as easily with those bigger intestines.

MV/Liberace!

my yellow lab rarely has poop problems.  if you live in the city (and by "city" i don't mean dayton, ohio) a yellow lab probably isn't for you... or any big dog, for that matter.

danDNA

if you had a guide dog you probably wouldnt be looking still - oh they are yellow labs arnt they :D

EvB

Quote from: danDNA on August 10, 2009, 10:34:29 AM
if you had a guide dog you probably wouldnt be looking still - oh they are yellow labs arnt they :D

I don't know about the UK - but here a service dog can be any kinds - and any size that is appropriate to their job (a medical alert dog, for example, can be a "pocket puppy") But yes, the dogs that people most commonly think of for guide dogs are German Sheppards - and Golden Retrievers or labs of all kinds - and more commonly as time goes on, standard poodles (they are smart, hypoallergenic, and tend not to intimidate others)