• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mind, Body, or Soul?

Started by Frys Girl, July 11, 2009, 08:44:20 AM

Frys Girl

Since we have a resident philosopher, I thought it would be appropriate to have this discussion. Personally, I think mind is chief among these three. Without a strong mind, the other two are bound to fail.

If you just take Noory as an example, his mind is full of marble/concrete/dry wall, and I think the result is that he is a soul sucking grizzly looking person.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 11, 2009, 08:44:20 AM
Since we have a resident philosopher, I thought this would be appropriate to have this discussion. Personally, I think mind is chief among these three. Without a strong mind, the other two are bound to fail.

If you just take Noory as an example, his mind is full of marble/concrete/dry wall, and I think the result is that he is a soul sucking grizzly looking person.

Interesting question.  All three are contingent on each other for existence.  Although the soul also has a non-corporeal nature, as it exceeds the sum total existence of the body and mind.  The soul is the only one of the three to be taken as a matter of faith.

In Noory's case, inductive logic would point to a lack of higher levels of reasoning.  If ex-rays or MRIs prove the existence of marble/concrete/dry wall, then that would explain a great many things.

Marc.Knight

May I be so bold as to say -  Frys Girl is very intelligent.   ;)

Frys Girl

Quote from: The Philosopher on July 11, 2009, 09:48:44 AM
And I have Bette Davis eyes!

Thank you for the compliment. In general, this is a very nice forum with very smart users. A few people are not present for various reasons, but I think they will return. I'm hoping Centurion will post this in thread most of all.

Frys Girl

Quote from: The Philosopher on July 11, 2009, 09:03:40 AM
If ex-rays or MRIs prove the existence of marble/concrete/dry wall, then that would explain a great many things.
Maybe the x-ray will reveal a brain shaped in the letters S-U-C-K.

The X-Files Theme Song

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 11, 2009, 09:55:32 AM
Maybe the x-ray will reveal a brain shaped in the letters S-U-C-K.

Or something like this.

Marc.Knight

On now...

Art Bell: Somewhere in Time

Date:

07-11-09

Host:

Art Bell - Somewhere In Time

Guests:

Open Lines

6-10pm PT: Art Bell: Somewhere in Time features an Open Lines show from May 16, 1997, covering such topics as morals & transplants, the heart & soul, and spontaneous human combustion.

Frys Girl

Philosopher, I thought of something else. When I was in high school, a classmate's father spoke to our school about his miraculous recovery from brain cancer. His prognosis was, well, shitty. He claimed that the power of clear, positive thinking and meditation helped him immensely. I can't paraphrase the speech he gave too well, but I remember being stunned by it. I am not one to buy into these things. So I think this is another example of mind over body. I think the mind can rescue the body and soul.

PW: THANKS! I couldn't listen to it though. C2C web site sucks.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 11, 2009, 08:36:10 PM
Philosopher, I thought of something else. When I was in high school, a classmate's father spoke to our school about his miraculous recovery from brain cancer. His prognosis was, well, shitty. He claimed that the power of clear, positive thinking and meditation helped him immensely. I can't paraphrase the speech he gave too well, but I remember being stunned by it. I am not one to buy into these things. So I think this is another example of mind over body. I think the mind can rescue the body and soul.

PW: THANKS!

No problem.  Listening right now.  Interesting show.  Maybe I can download it for you.  I'll try tomorrow.

EvB

Quote from: The Philosopher on July 11, 2009, 09:48:44 AM

No bold - just fact!   8)

EvB

QuoteHe claimed that the power of clear, positive thinking and meditation helped him immensely. I can't paraphrase the speech he gave too well, but I remember being stunned by it. I am not one to buy into these things. So I think this is another example of mind over body. I think the mind can rescue the body and soul.

I think it's clear that out thoughts, attitudes and emotions have a dramatic effect on our bodies. What's weird about cancer is - it occasionally just goes away - even when the person has done no mind-body work, and whatever standard medical treatments were done cannot account for the rapid and total recovery. 

That's not to say that mind/body work does not help - only to say cancer is WEIRD.  Often lethal, occasionally capricious.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 11, 2009, 08:36:10 PM

I agree with you.  The mind has great untapped power to be exerted as good, or evil upon the self and others.  In essence, the quality of the soul is determined by our force of 'Will'.  Your will is very good Frys Girl.  I am listening to Art also.  Too bad you're missing it, he is really getting into a discussion about the soul.

Frys Girl

Quote from: The Philosopher on July 11, 2009, 08:50:54 PM
I am listening to Art also.  Too bad you're missing it, he is really getting into a discussion about the soul.
Quote from: PW on July 11, 2009, 08:41:19 PM
No problem.  Listening right now.  Interesting show.  Maybe I can download it for you.  I'll try tomorrow.
I got it! Thanks guys.

Frys Girl

I'll use Iran as an example for this argument too, and then I'll rest my case. In Iran, the number of women in university exceeds men by about 10-15%. As education has increased, so has the age of marriage, and the ridiculous number of babies born to each family. Women are living longer, healthier lives too, as education has become more accessible and mandatory. I remember reading a UN report that one of the aspects of any plan to combat poverty and disease in the third world would have to encompass mass education. Those who do not comply with these new education mandates usually have a smaller chance of survival. I realize this is post is me taking a lot of liberty with the evidence (I'm not even going to try to find these stats, but I hope you get the idea), so please bear with me. Thanks!

Have you noticed that as the quality and demand for education has dropped in the US, so has the health of the citizens? Obesity is an epidemic, debt is high (most Americans are many thousands of dollars in debt). Minds are weak. Bodies are thus weak.

Mind must allow the soul to take over the vessel which is the body.

KnyeGuy

I'd have to go with soul (or whatever you want to call it). The mind can be powerful, but it also runs on a perpetual loop that feeds you alot of nonsense regardless of how strong it may be. Meditation teaches you how ridiculous the mind is and how it really is not YOU, but more of a vessel/tool to utilize like the body.