• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "Of Course" Thread

Started by Immy, July 01, 2014, 12:48:07 AM

Immy

We all know it's one of Jorch's favorite filler phrases, but how often does his feeble brain utilize it? Well, I spent the month of June counting them, but because I have a life too (do I?) I settled on examining just the first half hour of the show.

Jorch worked 20 days in June. On any given night he and his guests have 20-21 mins of talktime between the top and bottom of the first half hour. In those roughly 400 mins of airtime he hit the OC button 41 times or about once every ten minutes.

He started the month rather timidly, with two and three uses each day. Then he settled into a 3-4 a day rhythm until the 11th, when Dinesh D'Souza was on. That night he hit his personal best of 9 OC's within a 14 min span. That's admirable! He's must have exhausted himself, because after that he settled down to a routine 1-3 a day for the rest of the month. Three days were amazingly OC-free.

I'll continue to monitor the Tourette's-ish frequency with which he employs OCs. My hope is that he'll eventually hit double digits, and maybe, just maybe, reach 20 in 20 mins. I think I may spontaneously combust with joy if that happened.

But for now, of course, the record stands at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F0rPFASUXY

b_dubb

Noory is the budget hot dog of radio: all filler (lips and assholes)

jazmunda

Noory having and maintaining a job gives hopes to millions of incompetent people around the world. I pity you for having to listen to so many hours of rubbish to bring us this tidbit.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Immy on July 01, 2014, 12:48:07 AM
We all know it's one of Jorch's favorite filler phrases, but how often does his feeble brain utilize it? Well, I spent the month of June counting them, but because I have a life too (do I?) I settled on examining just the first half hour of the show.

Jorch worked 20 days in June. On any given night he and his guests have 20-21 mins of talktime between the top and bottom of the first half hour. In those roughly 400 mins of airtime he hit the OC button 41 times or about once every ten minutes.

He started the month rather timidly, with two and three uses each day. Then he settled into a 3-4 a day rhythm until the 11th, when Dinesh D'Souza was on. That night he hit his personal best of 9 OC's within a 14 min span. That's admirable! He's must have exhausted himself, because after that he settled down to a routine 1-3 a day for the rest of the month. Three days were amazingly OC-free.

I'll continue to monitor the Tourette's-ish frequency with which he employs OCs. My hope is that he'll eventually hit double digits, and maybe, just maybe, reach 20 in 20 mins. I think I may spontaneously combust with joy if that happened.

And you think he has signs of OCD? Where is your base line?

Keep monitoring him of course, just in case real life has no purpose.

I'm nominating you for a Nobel Peace Prize.

wr250

Quote from: Immy on July 01, 2014, 12:48:07 AM

so basically , either you are actually stupid, want to be stupid ,and of course you could be brilliant.

this sentence was brought to you by the words so, basically actually and "of course" .

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on July 01, 2014, 01:55:14 AM
Noory is the budget hot dog of radio: all filler (lips and assholes)

so he is the $0.50 lil steamie of radio?

albrecht

Congratulations on the analysis and hard-work. I think George might be using a soundboard (maybe even the soundboard posted on this forum) on occasion. Several times I've heard a "that's right" interjection that sounds different in volume and voice than when he asks a guest another question. Who knows? I'm still waiting for some open-lines caller to call in and use the Jorch soundboard and confuse Tommy and George.

MrHippie

Immy gets 5 out of 5 stars for this great post.
Thanks for your dedication and analysis of George's maddening overuse of this phrase.
Once you notice how much he uses it, especially during a guests introduction, it really is quite bizarre.

albrecht

Quote from: MrHippie on July 02, 2014, 04:45:02 PM
Immy gets 5 out of 5 stars for this great post.
Thanks for your dedication and analysis of George's maddening overuse of this phrase.
Once you notice how much he uses it, especially during a guests introduction, it really is quite bizarre.

I agree. Great analysis though I'm not sure how much couch time might be necessary after such an onerous endeavor.  Norry is worse than a earworm like the Kylie Minogue song of same name. Now I hear people saying "of course" and "its true" and I think of George. I find myself looking at babies... and wondering "is it a mean baby?"

Immy

Thanks folks. Chalk it up to simple boredom. I also have a sibling who uses lots of comfort phrases ("literally" is a nagging favorite) so I've been exposed to the phenomena for awhile, no therapy needed...I don't think.  :o

I also wanted to contibute something specific beyond the daily chronicling of his suckitude. Someday someone with psycho-analytical chops will descend on our little forum, ID and package up all Jorch's syndromes and finally put a name to the major malfunction that causes him to be the scourge of the airways. I'm happy to provide one piece of the puzzle.

George Drooly

What drives you, Immy? You love what you do, don't you?

Immy

Quote from: George Drooly on July 03, 2014, 05:02:30 AM
What drives you, Immy? You love what you do, don't you?

That's an excellent question George.

Wait for it...

Of course!  ;D

Immy

Quote from: George Drooly on July 05, 2014, 12:39:54 AM
People are whacked out!

That's cuz "sumthin's gonna happin, I can feelit."  ::)

Today's OC count in the first half hour was three, the most so far this month. C'mon Jorch, you can do better than that!

Immy

Three again tonite, though he snuck in two more in quick succession after coming back at the bottom of the hour, but they don't count. ;)

Mental fatigue may be a factor here (do what you will with that everyone ;D). By Friday he'll have worked ten of the first eleven days of the month, so as the week progresses I expect the OC count to increase.

popple

OP, is my hero. OF COURSE! ❤

George Drooly

The great thing is he rarely uses the phrase properly. Good ol' Tongue Flaps is reliable, if nothing else.

Immy

The presence of KA Fitts in-studio must've thrown Jorchie off his game, zero OCs in the first half hour. He instead concentrated on constantly interrupting her in mid-sentence. Maybe he'll get back to OC-normal tonite.

nextgen.fm

lol

Doesn't it sound more like

OV CORSH?

Immy

July high of four OC's tonite. Attaboy Luther!

Immy

July high of five OC's on Thurs night. Will Jorchie hit a half dozen before month's end?

Quote from: Immy on July 27, 2014, 06:48:26 PM
July high of five OC's on Thurs night. Will Jorchie hit a half dozen before month's end?

It depends how erudite the guest is.  My hypothesis is that George uses 'of course' to cover his ignorance every time he looks something up on Wikipedia.  I sketched a comic strip about it a few weeks ago that I was going to polish up and post but I haven't wanted to put in the time to actually make something presentable.

Immy

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 27, 2014, 07:00:48 PM
It depends how erudite the guest is.  My hypothesis is that George uses 'of course' to cover his ignorance every time he looks something up on Wikipedia.

Hard to say. An expert in linguistics might shed some light on the reason.

John Kruk on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball is another example. He'll drop a "y'know" dozens upon dozens of times per game. Often wonder if it drives his partner Dan Shulman nuts. 

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on July 01, 2014, 02:54:52 AM
Noory having and maintaining a job gives hopes to millions of incompetent people around the world. I pity you for having to listen to so many hours of rubbish to bring us this tidbit.
Some random, frustrated guest - "Isn't this a great thread, Jorch?"

Jorch - "Of course!"

Some random, frustrated guest -"Jorch, isn't it time for you to jump off a cliff?"

Jorch - "Of course!"

Jorch Noory, folks!  Poster child for driver license department employees and postal workers everywhere.

Eddie Coyle

(chuckles witlessly) "Exactly!" (More witless chuckles)

Immy

A 2nd best SEVEN OC's tonite, only the third time Jorch has passed five in the first half hour (actually 20 mins). I was rooting for double digits like a madman but it wasn't meant to be. Effing hilarious.