• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

Quote from: Dasein on February 10, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
  An X-Files marathon can do wonders to help get one's mind out of an emotional or addictive rut.

Now that...THAT... is the truth!

Nebraska888

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 10, 2014, 11:33:46 AM
Thanks, Seraphim. I am, indeed, a lucky mofo.

Although...not a day goes by that I don`t think about it.

And by "it",  I mean Southern fried chicken! :P

That's what I call will power.

Juan

I'm sure the fried chicken was the hardest.

No Name Storm

Sorry, not to sound harsh, but there are places for drug rehab and talking about health problems. C2C is not that place. Plenty of radio and clinics for that.

NoMoreNoory

I would agree that this was not C2C territory if it was simply a 'health phone-in.' It wasn't. It took what is, IMO, a time-bomb ticking under American society, and increasingly in other countries as well. The bald statistic at the top of the show, that more people die in the US every year from prescription drug related issues than all Class A drugs combined, should be enough to have everyone talking about this. By and large, I don't think they are. That makes it a C2C issue, I think. Timely, as well, since I saw one reference to Philip Seymour Hoffman's drift back into heroine use being kick-started through prescription opiates.
The guest put it well, I also thought, when he talked about driving on the 405 every morning, wondering how many people are driving in a chemical haze or battling through a sleeping pill hangover. Let's leave alcohol out of the discussion for now.
More importantly, this was an intelligent edition of C2C, and how often can you say that? A well-informed, well-prepared host engaging with the guest and the callers, the callers engaging with the guest and the host. Genuinely funny, too. When was the last time C2C made you smile or laugh, other than in disbelief at the imbecility of Noory? This is not Schrader's neck of the wood - I'm sure he'd much rather be dealing with 'supernatural' topics - so all the more kudos to him for doing such a professional job.
No-one mentioned toomrack or baking soda. No-one told anyone to stop taking meds. No-one advocated alternative therapies over medical advice or intervention. No-one asked anyone how they got into this in the first place, what was the most shocking thing they discovered in their research or what was next for them.
Top drawer show, Dave. Thank you. Looking forward to next Saturday.
I would also highly recommend the documentary, American Addict, btw. Two other 'friends' of C2C, Peter Breggan and Katherine Austin Fitts, emerge as stars of the film as well. 

onan

I get real tired of the baby out with the bathwater statements about pharmaceuticals and the medical profession as a whole.

Perhaps it helps to be in the mix of things to see the efficacy of both medicinal and talk therapies. For most mentally ill patients, medications are the best tool out there. But for those with personality disorders, drugs are not the best avenue. Yes there a a bunch of people swallowing adderall, benzo's, and sleeping/hypnotic medications. And wouldn't it be a great world if doctors had the time to fully flesh out every complaint of that is out there. Many times anti depressants are prescribed because the doctor knows full well that is the only treatment the patient is going to seek... thank you all that help stigmatize mental illness.

Xanax is often abused... it is much more often prescribed effectively and over a short period of time. Lots of patients doctor shop until they find the one that will prescribe, then move on to another doc once they are not able to get refill.

Simply put if anyone is over using or abusing a prescription... it is the patient's fault and to a much lesser extent the doctor, but the doc isn't without blame.

Screed is almost over. As much as some here will soapbox the evils of medicines... I wish you could spend one day with me... your tune would change.

Birdie

Quote from: onan on February 10, 2014, 04:07:01 PM
Simply put if anyone is over using or abusing a prescription... it is the patient's fault and to a much lesser extent the doctor, but the doc isn't without blame.
There are plenty of doctors out there more than happy to write a prescription, even when it is painfully obvious the patient is an addict or doctor shopping. The patient need only tell the doctor what they want and how much. In a way, the doctor is in a tough spot. They know the addict will acquire the drugs, somewhere, somehow. Maybe it would be better to keep an eye on the patient, by writing small scripts and having them return often? I tend to look for the good in people and situations, almost to a fault. The truth is probably that they want the office visit fees.

Many people don't know that benzo withdrawal can kill you. Alcohol and benzos are the only two withdrawals you can die from. And valium and xanax are always at the top of most commonly prescribed drugs lists. While they can be extremely beneficial for patients suffering from panic attacks, they are prescribed way too often, for no acceptable reason, and for much too long. There is a scary misconception that they are harmless. Ah, it is just a little valium, no big deal.

I know this world a little better than I should. Or I should say I used to know this world. I have been more or less clean for 8 years after 20 years of heroin, cocaine, and alcohol addiction. Prescription pill abuse accompanied all of it. I was the doctor shopper extraordinaire and rarely ever got turned down, even with blatant bruises and track marks and obviously 30 pounds underweight. I am lucky to be alive and I am far away from that mess to realize it and be grateful for it.

I say more or less clean because I still attend a methadone program. I would love to be off of the crap. What I have seen at the various clinics I have attended over the last decade is sickening. The majority are for profit businesses. They are dosing young people with with large amounts of methadone everyday. I am sorry, but if you are only addicted to 20 mg of oxycontin a day and want to get off it, just suck it up and be sick for a week or two. That is much better than being chained to methadone for the rest of your life. They don't understand (and no one tells them) that the high dose of methadone is creating more, new opiate receptors in their brains that need to be satisfied. If this overload of receptors is not satisfied, you will way sicker than you were with a little 20 mg a day habit. These people are basically fucking themselves over. I realize age doesn't necessarily matter when dealing with addiction, but younger people seem prone to bragging about their war stories. I have unwillingly overheard a lot of them in the waiting room. The majority of these kids were just experimenting with heroin and other opiates and have absolutely no business attending a methadone clinic. There is little to no traditional therapy involved in treatment at many of these places.

And the clinics allow the patient to up their dose by 10 or 20 mg. a week if the patient feels they need it. Of course they think they need it. They are fucking addicts. Some view the clinics as a cheap way to get high. If you are getting high off your dose, something is wrong. Methadone maintenance is not supposed to work that way. But I have never seen any of the clinics toss someone out for it. They will definitely toss you out if you cannot pay for a couple days till you get your paycheck, but not if you are abusing the system and the medication. It makes me sad. The whole thing is very crooked, and business is growing exponentially.

More than half the clients are regular folks and not 'street junkies.' They are people who were in a car accident, skiing accident, or whatever, and got prescribed a huge amount of painkillers from their doctor and caught a habit. No one plans on becoming an opiate addict. Doctors rarely, if ever, warn their patients that it can happen so quickly and easily. It is a serious, scarily common problem. 

The truth is pharmaceutical companies want as many people taking as many drugs as possible, as often as possible, for as long as possible. The doctors have a big financial incentive to prescribe lots of drugs, too. To lay the blame at the feet of the addict is like blaming someone for being schizophrenic.  I do believe in some personal responsibility with addiction, but the deck is stacked against us. If you go to the doctor and say you want to get off heroin, many will prescribe Bupennorphine.(Or benzos combined with clonidine, a blood pressure drug, and seroquel.) It is simply illogical to get someone off one addictive drug with another addictive drug.

I agree many of the antidepressants and antipsychotics are necessary and great for the folks who need them. They can work miracles. I have seen that, too (long term addiction is often accompanied by the occasional trip to the funny farm). The problem is they are being prescribed to people who do not need truly them. The fact that you can get an antidepressant from your GP is indicative of this problem. Shit, I got klonopin from my gynecologist. Only mental health professionals should be able to prescribe these particular drugs and not until at least a few sessions have been completed. Once a person takes the drug and fucks with their brain chemistry, then they will need the drug, which is all the better for the doctors and big pharma.

Sorry if I got a bit ranty and long winded. This is a subject that bothers me a lot and I feel a lot of resentment for some of the doctors who enabled me to keep using when it was obvious I was in severe physical and mental distress.

No Name Storm

Maybe C2C should open an online "clinic" to deal with all this. Sheesh....

Nebraska888

Quote from: No Name Storm on February 10, 2014, 09:02:56 PM
Maybe C2C should open an online "clinic" to deal with all this. Sheesh....

Dave's program was just fine......BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT......I just can't stand these programs about medication, government conspiracies, grab yer' guns, build your bunkers, buy your canned food, take your Turmeric, BIG BROTHER, etc...etc.....

An occasional....I SAID OCCASIONAL.....program addressing these topics is fine......however, all in all.....NOPE. 

Quote from: Nebraska888 on February 10, 2014, 10:15:09 PM
Dave's program was just fine......BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT......I just can't stand these programs about medication, government conspiracies, grab yer' guns, build your bunkers, buy your canned food, take your Turmeric, BIG BROTHER, etc...etc.....

What was the point of firing Wells if two weeks later they are doing the same sort of show? Hell, was really good at doing that sort of show even. Its just shouldnt be on c2c. It is why the ratings have gone down.

Nebraska888

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 11, 2014, 06:21:08 PM
What was the point of firing Wells if two weeks later they are doing the same sort of show? Hell, was really good at doing that sort of show even. Its just shouldnt be on c2c. It is why the ratings have gone down.

Agreed!   ;)

Scully

My first reaction to seeing that Dave Schrader had drug addiction for a topic was that it was a deliberate action on the part of Jorch or whomever makes the decisions about who gets what topic.  It irritated me so much that I never even considered listening Sunday night, although I have always really liked Schrader as a host.

I have great appreciation for both Onan's and Birdie's posts, because there is so much merit in both.  The fact remains, though, that for me this is not a topic I want to see discussed on C2C.  I have too much exposure to the subject in real life, and don't look for more of it in an evening's entertainment. 

I hope they don't do this to Dave S. again.  I really, really do.

tmock00

Back behind the Darkness Radio mic on Monday night (2/10) less than two minutes into the start of the show, Schrader told listeners he will be once again be hosting Coast to Coast this weekend and:

"They (Coast to Coast) don't consider themselves a paranormal show. They consider themselves a variety show, and they just have a slant towards the paranormal. We (Darkness Radio) come in more 'balls to the wall' with paranormal, so we like to have that angle ... and feel that's kind of our place."

He also goes on to mention that since John B. Wells is gone, Coast to Coast has put him into rotation for what he hopes will be a few times each month.   

You can listen to Darkness Radio on Tunein, iTunes and Stitcher, while Podbay has all the archived shows and you can listen from the website, as well.

http://www.darknessradio.com/

No Name Storm

Quote from: tmock00 on February 12, 2014, 07:53:34 AM
Back behind the Darkness Radio mic on Monday night (2/10) less than two minutes into the start of the show, Schrader told listeners he will be once again be hosting Coast to Coast this weekend and:

"They (Coast to Coast) don't consider themselves a paranormal show. They consider themselves a variety show, and they just have a slant towards the paranormal. We (Darkness Radio) come in more 'balls to the wall' with paranormal, so we like to have that angle ... and feel that's kind of our place."

He also goes on to mention that since John B. Wells is gone, Coast to Coast has put him into rotation for what he hopes will be a few times each month.   

You can listen to Darkness Radio on Tunein, iTunes and Stitcher, while Podbay has all the archived shows and you can listen from the website, as well.

http://www.darknessradio.com/

I knew there was a reason I loved Dave Schrader. The man tells it like it is. Now we have confirmation, if we ever needed it. C2C is no longer a "paranormal show." It has become a late night variety show.....Like Jimmy Fallon, the ex Jay Lenno, David Letterman, etc. etc. Radio whores, basically.

Dave, I know you read these threads....Bless you, man. I will listen to you at Darkness Radio, but will no longer support C2C. I will listen to you on C2C if, and only if, the topic is paranormal or semi-interesting. Quack meds and doctors, survival crap, GMO crap, etc. etc. will not bring me to the radio. I will have to shut it down. That being said, I will look forward to see what "variety" topic the Snooron and Premiere will shackle you with next stint on C2C.

I feel as if I've lost a friend with the passing of C2C. Shall we send flowers?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: tmock00 on February 12, 2014, 07:53:34 AM

He says this after hosting his first Sunday night C2C show...on Rx abuse?

DaveSchrader

Coast is a News variety show covering a myriad of topics, the fringe is just a big slant of the show. That is my understanding of the show.

I will be back to host on Saturday and I look forward to it, I am sorry for those of you that missed the intention of last Sunday nights show. I think there was some very valuable information shared during the 4 hours and information that is real world and facts that are scarier than most paranormal stories, because they are true and we are being lied to from the medical community about how to take care of ourselves.

It is time we as a society look at real world issues that get glossed over on most news programs.

I enjoy the support and even the constructive criticism I have read on this forum and do take it to heart, as I am always looking to improve and bring solid and entertaining content to the air. Some will be Conspiracy, some Medical Mysteries, some Alien, some Ghosts & a mix of the strange and bizarre.

The best part of this type of series is that there is always another night to tune in if you don't like the current topic. I have received many emails from this past week telling me that although this wasn't the kind of show they like they still found it informative and interesting, I also got a fair share screaming for my head. Either way it has people talking and weighing in, I am ok with that and will do my best to improve every time I do the show.

Coast has been supportive and open to topic discussions and guest suggestions I have turned in and I am perfectly fine with going outside my normal lexicon and dipping into other topics. I think people are sometimes to quick to judge before they allow the message to be told.

With that said, keep tuning in and I have an open mailbox policy, I read all emails I get and try to respond to most.

Fair warning if the email is nothing but abusive words and content I wont respond. I don't have time for hatred and intolerance of any kind. If you have a point, be clear and concise and constructive and I will certainly be open to those ideas.

Have a great week! See ya Saturday, Same Coast Time, Same Coast Stations!

Dave

Nebraska888

Thanks for the update, Dave!  You are a great interviewer/host!

As you have most likely discerned from my past posts.....I am NOT a fan of nutrition talk, medication talk, big pharma,  grab yer' guns, build your bunker, the government is conspiring against each and every one of us 24-7 and THE NUMBERS LADY!!!! 

Agreed, it is not wise to "stick our heads in the sand"........but, I guarantee you that nearly 80% of your listeners are well apprised of most current headlines and can cite at least 20 stations on TV and radio, in addition to publications, that they may view, listen to, or read and "digest" during the day.

My point is simple:  At night I want to FORGET all the crap that we are inundated with by the ubiquitous and never-ending news streams....GIVE ME PARANORMAL!

albrecht

Quote from: DaveSchrader on February 12, 2014, 07:28:40 PM
Coast is a News variety show covering a myriad of topics, the fringe is just a big slant of the show. That is my understanding of the show.

I will be back to host on Saturday and I look forward to it, I am sorry for those of you that missed the intention of last Sunday nights show. I think there was some very valuable information shared during the 4 hours and information that is real world and facts that are scarier than most paranormal stories, because they are true and we are being lied to from the medical community about how to take care of ourselves.

It is time we as a society look at real world issues that get glossed over on most news programs.

I enjoy the support and even the constructive criticism I have read on this forum and do take it to heart, as I am always looking to improve and bring solid and entertaining content to the air. Some will be Conspiracy, some Medical Mysteries, some Alien, some Ghosts & a mix of the strange and bizarre.

The best part of this type of series is that there is always another night to tune in if you don't like the current topic. I have received many emails from this past week telling me that although this wasn't the kind of show they like they still found it informative and interesting, I also got a fair share screaming for my head. Either way it has people talking and weighing in, I am ok with that and will do my best to improve every time I do the show.

Coast has been supportive and open to topic discussions and guest suggestions I have turned in and I am perfectly fine with going outside my normal lexicon and dipping into other topics. I think people are sometimes to quick to judge before they allow the message to be told.

With that said, keep tuning in and I have an open mailbox policy, I read all emails I get and try to respond to most.

Fair warning if the email is nothing but abusive words and content I wont respond. I don't have time for hatred and intolerance of any kind. If you have a point, be clear and concise and constructive and I will certainly be open to those ideas.

Have a great week! See ya Saturday, Same Coast Time, Same Coast Stations!

Dave

I enjoyed the show and thought that the topic was actually a very good one. Of course, I enjoy the paranormal, conspiracy, etc shows but what better (or real) conspiracy than the abuse of drugs and the cycle of money that encourages them on all sides really (the makes, the government, the police, the cartels, etc.) I saw an interesting articles the other day that some countries, like Holland, actually have programs for junkies where the government gives away FREE heroine..but you must "shoot up" at a clinic. Heroin use is down substantially whereas we in the US have an epidemic even with "good" places, like white upper-class high schools. The idea is if you are a junkie you're sorta beyond some hope. But will commit less crime to get your fix and also take the profit out since less people buying if it is free (so less of drug on "open market" and at least not spread crime, disease, etc as you kill yourself with the substance. Sort of crazy but then again maybe not?

Quote from: DaveSchrader on February 12, 2014, 07:28:40 PM
I think people are sometimes to quick to judge before they allow the message to be told.

Us "Quick to judge"? Never!

No Name Storm

I'm with Nebraska888. You can turn anywhere on the dial or daytime television and get your brain stuffed with all that crap about big pharma, alternative meds, obesity, GMO, etc. etc. I don't want that in late night radio. I want something different. If this is what is going to take over late night radio, then I just won't listen to those type of shows anymore, like C2C. I will find other shows and hosts that will be innovative enough to offer something different than what Big Radio Plutocrats want to shove down our throats and minds.

No, thank you.

DaveSchrader

Well No Name Storm, give my nightly show a listen from 9-Midnite cst. We cover much more paranormal topics. www.DarknessRadio.com

Perhaps you can find something interesting with us. We are on Mon-Friday.

Love to have you all join us.

Dave

Nebraska888

Quote from: No Name Storm on February 12, 2014, 11:15:18 PM
I'm with Nebraska888. You can turn anywhere on the dial or daytime television and get your brain stuffed with all that crap about big pharma, alternative meds, obesity, GMO, etc. etc. I don't want that in late night radio. I want something different. If this is what is going to take over late night radio, then I just won't listen to those type of shows anymore, like C2C. I will find other shows and hosts that will be innovative enough to offer something different than what Big Radio Plutocrats want to shove down our throats and minds.

No, thank you.

Make that a "double"!   ;)

Nebraska888

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 12, 2014, 11:25:30 PM
Nebraska, you need an avatar too :)

I know!  I just can't seem to find one I like! 

SnoorysStache

Darkness radio can be pretty damn scary. If any of you want the shit scared outta ya give a listen to the Villisca Axe Murder house program. There's an EVP that is bone chilling.

No Name Storm

Quote from: DaveSchrader on February 12, 2014, 11:18:48 PM
Well No Name Storm, give my nightly show a listen from 9-Midnite cst. We cover much more paranormal topics. www.DarknessRadio.com

Perhaps you can find something interesting with us. We are on Mon-Friday.

Love to have you all join us.

Dave

Been listening, Dave, and enjoying the heck out of it. You take me through the week and then on weekends, I hope and pray for something interesting. I am George Noory free and feeling super! I'll listen to any of the guests on weekends, if the programming is challenging enough.

Weekends are the only glimmer of hope for C2C unless they push their agendas on the weekend hosts. If more shows featuring meds, health, etc., I won't listen. Again, I can get that anywhere.....Don't want it on my night time listen.

I'll be following you, Dave. Thanks bunches for taking such an interest in your listening audience. Too bad others don't follow by example.

Chris Fleming is on tonight.

I'm not sure I can handle that guy's shtick for 3 hours.

As a matter of fact, I know I can't handle it for 3 hours

Nebraska888

I think tonight's program sounds interesting!   ;)

Quote from: Nebraska888 on February 15, 2014, 10:38:07 PM
I think tonight's program sounds interesting!   ;)

I agree,  the subject matter is super interesting. I just hope Fleming doesn't ruin it #notafan

Designx

The first hour is probably the biggest pile of new age BS that has ever existed with Pam Grout - this is the worst kind of crap that's on Coast.