• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on January 21, 2013, 01:42:39 AM
Perhaps, but I'm usually quite adept at this, and I'm sensing Eastern Europe.
I do hope you're right. I have a ton of Lithuanian neighbors, and I feel a need to subject them to handwriting samples ASAP. It would be a relief. Being a student and sub at our fine public schools always makes me assume the worst.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 21, 2013, 01:47:23 AM
Oh, that's good enough to trademark, man. Ya'll have to stop doing this, because I just cannot keep laughing like this so late at night. Oh wait, tomorrow is MLK Day! So I can actually do my quiet reflection and serious introspection after a good sleep in. 

I'm high spirits as well tonight knowing how many locals are utterly devastated over the Pats loss tonight. Definite schadenfreude in my quarters, because Patriots fans are an arrogant speciation that are truly insufferable. I miss Victor Kiam and the days of 2-14 at a 1/5 capacity Schaefer stadium.       

Doomed

Quote from: Elflord on January 20, 2013, 10:05:37 PM
Fantastic forum is crap to much of the people suck george's small penis.
Ah. Yoda's cousin not are you?
Which fantastic forum?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Doomed on January 21, 2013, 02:09:40 AM
Ah. Yoda's cousin not are you?
Which fantastic forum?

I started this mess by referring to "the" Fantastic Forum. The one with a higher mortality rate than Jonestown. The one Jack Kevorkian directed people towards.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 21, 2013, 02:01:10 AM
   I do hope you're right. I have a ton of Lithuanian neighbors, and I feel a need to subject them to handwriting samples ASAP...

Okay, you're doing it again. Please, please stop making me laugh like a lunatic.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 21, 2013, 02:01:10 AM
....I'm high spirits as well tonight knowing how many locals are utterly devastated over the Pats loss tonight. Definite schadenfreude in my quarters, because Patriots fans are an arrogant speciation that are truly insufferable. I miss Victor Kiam and the days of 2-14 at a 1/5 capacity Schaefer stadium.....

I object to the the Pats loss not so much because of care for their bruised egos, as much as I am sick to death over the hagiofication (I know, but it ought to be, and FWIW the ac-cent is on the se-cond syll-a-ble) of co-conspirator Ray Lewis. Yep, a really fantastic linebacker. And by the way he was, at a minimum, involved in covering up a murder. But he had a shitload of tackles, so let's get things in perspective. Tomorrow is an excellent day to reflect quietly on the fact that .2 seconds (that's 1/5 of a second) is what stands between Ray Lewis the multi-millionaire NFL Hall of Famer, and Ray Lewis the ex-con with his own Statesboro Blues.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on January 21, 2013, 02:24:06 AM
Okay, you're doing it again. Please, please stop making me laugh like a lunatic.

I object to the the Pats loss not so much because of care for their bruised egos, as much as I am sick to death over the hagiofication (I know, but it ought to be, and FWIW the ac-cent is on the se-cond syll-a-ble) of co-conspirator Ray Lewis. Yep, a really fantastic linebacker. And by the way he was, at a minimum, involved in covering up a murder. But he had a shitload of tackles, so let's get things in perspective. Tomorrow is an excellent day to reflect quietly on the fact that .2 seconds (that's 1/5 of a second) is what stands between Ray Lewis the multi-millionaire NFL Hall of Famer, and Ray Lewis the ex-con with his own Statesboro Blues.

Ok, I've reached my wiseass crack quota for the night.

Yeah, the downside of this is that Ray Lewis and his "redemption" continue for another two weeks(thankfully the Harbaugh brothers provide a sidestory that will also be played to death-but at least it's a diversion) and without a doubt, he got away with some seious shit because of color. Green, that is. He bought his way out of trouble. And a lot of people have forgotten. 13 years is a long time. People under 22 may have no memory of it all.

Though Bob Kraft's redemption story up here is also migraine inducing. That guy left more people holding the bag in the 80's/90's...his rep around here was borderline awful. UNTIL the Super Bowls.

The book was released in October, 1998....but "Pros and Cons", by Jeff Benedict and Don Yaeger is a stunning indictment of criminality in the NFL(and this precedes Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth,Mike Vick etc) and I think the gran total was 23% of the NFL being certified felons. And we're not talking speeding tickets.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 21, 2013, 02:39:52 AM
... (thankfully the Harbaugh brothers provide a sidestory that will also be played to death... 

Heh, woe to anyone hapless enough to call in to Ian and mention 'two brothers' coaching in the Super Bowl - Ian would have another chance to display his NFL ignorance and moral superiority in the same sanctomonious sentence...

I almost feel like calling in with that myself

Seems to me that the 49ers stand between Ray Lewis and him going out in Full Standard-Bearers Flying Glory.  Should be interesting to see how that all shakes down in 2 weeks. 

As far as no new news from Art Bell since his last announcement here, I would think if, as a lot of you have surmised (i.e., that he wouldn't settle for just an internet show), that he is trying to get something else going on actually on radio, then I'd think that would take several months to put together (all the legal work, contracts, etc.).  I think we'll hear back from him quickly only if he's going to do an internet show because that would be easier and faster to throw together (just guessing there though) than anything that he could do via an actual radio broadcast (esp. if that broadcast were going to be national in nature).

I have a nagging feeling that if he was that hot to do something, he would have had it already lined lined up and ready to go when the non-compete was up.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 02:53:22 AM

Heh, woe to anyone hapless enough to call in to Ian and mention 'two brothers' coaching in the Super Bowl - Ian would have another chance to display his NFL ignorance and moral superiority in the same sanctomonious sentence...

Careful, it may lead to a rant about no minorities filling in the Head Coaching vacancies this month.
     But that "brothers" thing is something he can never live down. PC hypersensitivity clinic he put on that night.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 02:57:41 AM
I have a nagging feeling that if he was that hot to do something, he would have had it already lined lined up and ready to go when the non-compete was up.

True, but it is possible there was ambiguity as to when the non-compete ended.  He had the show purchase, the work for them, and the Somewhere in Time - all of which may have complicated interplay as to when the non-compete ended.  Art is also a pretty black and white guy and may have read the non-compete broadly (or maybe it was overbroad) and stopped discussions with others about a new show.

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 02:57:41 AM

I tend to think this is the case. But then MV has already nailed me as a joy-out-of-the-room-sucker when it comes to Art, if I have that right. I do tend to believe we're silly to think a 68-year-old multi-millionaire with a 5-year-old child wants to throw himself back into the intensely competitive and extremely stressful talk-radio business out of what is essentially a desire for revenge for changing the show he sold. Right now he pretty much has control of his time and how he spends it; plus he's worshipped by millions, and he doesn't have to lift a finger.

It's pretty much downhill from there. All he could reasonably expect to gain from getting back into radio is 1) $, which he doesn't need; 2) attention, which he already has, essentially for life; and 3) perhaps the satisfaction of knocking off the guys he may feel betrayed him and destroyed what he built. Maybe that's "competitive drive"; or asking for a triple-helping of bad karma.

I'd love for Art to come back. I just don't think he will.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 21, 2013, 02:12:32 AM
         I started this mess by referring to "the" Fantastic Forum. The one with a higher mortality rate than Jonestown. The one Jack Kevorkian directed people towards.

ok.  i lol'ed.

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 02:53:22 AM

Maybe C2C SHOULD address the freak show pro football has become and I include college football, since it's a farm system for the so-called pros.  For me it's become nothing but a modern day version of gladiators and the coliseum mob.  A tatted-up freak show, with crazed loonies in the stand, guzzling "liquid bread."  For the Super Bore, we have "tatoo guy" vs."con man," coached by the bros.  And if non-stop pre-Super Bore coverage is not enough, we have the golden domer who can't tell a real girlfriend from an imaginary one.  All we need is for Noory to step-in and provide his in-depth assessment and how turmeric could turn everything around.  ::)

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on January 21, 2013, 03:12:22 PM

Maybe C2C SHOULD address the freak show pro football has become and I include college football, since it's a farm system for the so-called pros.  For me it's become nothing but a modern day version of gladiators and the coliseum mob.  A tatted-up freak show, with crazed loonies in the stand, guzzling "liquid bread."  For the Super Bore, we have "tatoo guy" vs."con man," coached by the bros.  And if non-stop pre-Super Bore coverage is not enough, we have the golden domer who can't tell a real girlfriend from an imaginary one.  All we need is for Noory to step-in and provide his in-depth assessment and how turmeric could turn everything around.  ::)

This is about where I am. I used to be a huge college football fan: all the games, season tickets for over a decade, etc. I'm just alienated from it now. The players have nothing to do with "amateur athletics", less to do with the student bodies they're supposed to represent. Grotesque body modding which will make them ridiculous in many less years than they think. The NCAA is truly the farm system for the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL for decades has made its appreciation known to the NCAA's ruling lords for keeping their zero-cost feeder operation going so smoothly for them.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2013, 02:38:45 PM

ok.  i lol'ed.

The pirate's flag is permanently at half-mast at FF. I actually almost feel bad about making light of it...

That's almost.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 21, 2013, 03:24:29 PM
... The NCAA is truly the farm system for the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL for decades has made its appreciation known to the NCAA's ruling lords for keeping their zero-cost feeder operation going so smoothly for them.

Of course they do, have been all along.  Friday nights are left to High School games with no NFL or College to compete with them for attendance or televised games.  Saturdays are College games only with the NFL not competing with that, and Sundays are left to the NFL.  \

The NFL does play some Thursday games, again being careful to not compete against the HS and College farm system, and some late season Saturday games after the College season is over.  The NFL could make a lot more money playing and televising Friday night and Saturday games every week, but they don't - leaving that money on the table for HS and especially College is certainly a show of appreciation

I have noticed a few College games leaking out into Fridays the past few years.  I guess the ESPN money is hard to turn down.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 21, 2013, 02:02:06 PM
I tend to think this is the case. But then MV has already nailed me as a joy-out-of-the-room-sucker when it comes to Art, if I have that right. I do tend to believe we're silly to think a 68-year-old multi-millionaire with a 5-year-old child wants to throw himself back into the intensely competitive and extremely stressful talk-radio business out of what is essentially a desire for revenge for changing the show he sold. Right now he pretty much has control of his time and how he spends it; plus he's worshipped by millions, and he doesn't have to lift a finger.

It's pretty much downhill from there. All he could reasonably expect to gain from getting back into radio is 1) $, which he doesn't need; 2) attention, which he already has, essentially for life; and 3) perhaps the satisfaction of knocking off the guys he may feel betrayed him and destroyed what he built. Maybe that's "competitive drive"; or asking for a triple-helping of bad karma.

I'd love for Art to come back. I just don't think he will.

Somatic Hyper could well be right.  Art at least seems to be leaving the door open.

I hope he doesn't feel he needs to put body and soul into it like before, even a one night a week 2 or 3 hour show would be great to have.  Heck, he could even record a few in advance and still take 3 or 4 week vacations.

Quote from: ItsOver on January 21, 2013, 03:12:22 PM

Ratings were still stellar, but down by millions from last year.

Any league that does not test for HGH or seriously test for testosterone is about anything BUT protecting it's players.  I will not watch.

lonevoice

I don't know what Art is thinking in terms of broadcasting, but it's hard to believe it's not at least in some way on his mind,  given his post to CG.  Now, whether that's in a "Gosh, I don't ever want to do that again!" way or in an "I sure do miss it!" kind of way, who can say? 

Someone (awwguy?) posted upthread that Art had deleted his facebook posts from between Jan 1 and Jan 8th, which would include the one about his non-compete expiring.   That's not the case, all of his posts are still there.

Art added a facebook post yesterday, which is part of what keeps me guessing that at least the idea of radio broadcasting is still living rent free in his mind.   Here's a copy pasta of his post:

Quote from: Art BellHere I am at KUDE Oceanside, Ca at 27 YRS old

DAE

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 06:04:03 PM
even a one night a week 2 or 3 hour show would be great to have

I just realized something within myself.  Despite my (non-gay) love for Art Bell, many posts here over time have reminded me to respect Art's retirement.  That being said, I am 100% open to the idea of him acting as an owner of a new show versus being the host of a new show.  Perhaps that would be a good compromise for him... start a new show but get others to produce it and let him hand pick suitable hosts.  I assume over the last 10 years of George Glory nonsense that Art perhaps has some ideas of some potential wicked hosts which we all have overlooked or don't know about.  Art's style is certainly perfect.  But other aspects of Coast to Coast I also miss, including interviewing backyard inventors and such who don't publish books.

That reminds me... I heard a Lyn Buchannan interview last month.  Remote viewer dude.  I cannot remember the name of the show.  Internet based.  But instead of the host asking questions, it went directly to questions from Skype callers.  It was kind of lovely and sweet (in a non-gay way) because Lyn could talk in FULL without being interrupted.  He answered a question for 10 minutes then the next Skype person asked theirs.  There was a host but it was only to introduce the show and then start right in to the callers.  The concept I actually liked.  And for the first time the whole show was actually a lot of interesting questions versus that whole repeat-the-whole-darn-same-old-story-again. User driven hosts.... Perfect concept for guests who aren't on the air just to promote their latest booklets.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 21, 2013, 05:45:28 PM

I have noticed a few College games leaking out into Fridays the past few years.  I guess the ESPN money is hard to turn down.

The MAC, Sun Belt and Conf USA have games routinely on ESPN(ESPN or 2 or ESPNU) on Tuesdays and Wednesday now, giving degenerate gamblers some game to bet on on an off night for MLB playoffs, just before NBA/NHL starts. All and all, the NCAA is definitely just a farm system for the pros, and in the NBA their farm system begins in that repulsive AAU. Sneaker contracts galore...horrible slime like Sonny Vaccaro.

I remember watching those ESPN late night games on Friday(late on the East coast) in 2009-2010 and watching a QB that I thought was remarkable...but he played at Nevada so he got little pub compared to the SEC/ACC/Big 10/Big 12...he's starting for the Niners against the Ravens.

Harmness

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 21, 2013, 04:11:38 PM

I actually almost feel bad about making light of it.

You feeling okay?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Harmness on January 21, 2013, 08:16:39 PM

You feeling okay?

I may need a Midol or something, this (almost feeling)compassion thing is so unlike me. Gender reassignment time?

awguy

Quote from: lonevoice on January 21, 2013, 06:52:12 PM
Someone (awwguy?) posted upthread that Art had deleted his facebook posts from between Jan 1 and Jan 8th, which would include the one about his non-compete expiring.   That's not the case, all of his posts are still there.

That was me (awguy). When I checked Facebook last night, all activity on Art's Page from January 1st to 8th was indeed gone. But just checked again... and everything is back to normal, possibily it was a glitch on facebook. My apologies for creating false chaos.

Falkie2013

Maybe it's Art's way to make sure we're all paying attention ?

Or perhaps its the internet equivalent of when his show used to get knocked off the air during really controversial calls, like the one with the Area 51 guy.

Or Snorry got Tommy to try to hack Art's facebook page and Tommy couldn't do it right.

If Art wasn't planning on coming out of retirement, why would he make mention of his non-compete expiring?...hmmmm?

I think Art will do something else and it will likely be one or two nights per week; something similar to Dreamland.

ziznak

yup whatever it is it's going to be great to hear him again... asking logical shit of interesting guests and maybe even Hoaxboy... i guess he can come too.  He's like the comic relief.

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on January 22, 2013, 11:40:45 AM
yup whatever it is it's going to be great to hear him again... asking logical shit of interesting guests and maybe even Hoaxboy... i guess he can come too.  He's like the comic relief.
"Oh, Art, thank Gaia you're back! Those 10 years with Noory were hell! Hell, I tell you! I don't think I could have lasted for more than another 8 or 9 years!""

LeslieV

New here but been lurking for a while.  I gave up on C2C some time ago with noodle brain.  The real kicker here in the Denver area is they took it off the station it use to be on for years and years, put it on the sports station so now it gets preempted by any game that runs late and then the post-game talk.

The power house in Colorado Springs also lost it to some low power AM station.  Both the old Denver and Springs station have Red Eye Radio on and quite honestly, they are more entertaining than noodle brain.  Even if not, at least Ross use to have the tag line of "I've made the switch, how about you" which one could understand was a direct hit at noodle brain.

Should Art come back it would make sense to have a weekend show and he could use KNYE as the flagship station to feed the network.  I doubt he will come back as he is in his late 60's and with a young family retirement is most likely where he will stay.

Still, would be nice to hear something more than what is on now all night.

Quote from: shermdawg54 on January 20, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
George Noory sucks fat buffalo cocks.

lol; the reason why Snoory mumbles is finally revealed.