• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hello from the UK

Started by Puxley, November 03, 2015, 10:28:37 AM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: coaster on November 03, 2015, 02:00:02 PM
This thread is so gay. And after we saved your asses in the war. Shame on you.

Yes, but notice that no women have been posting? IB doesn't count (we all know she's a dude), the reason being that their hands are fully occupied imagining their own personal British Invasion to be bothered with a keyboard.

BobGrau

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on November 03, 2015, 01:52:51 PM
Bunch of techno pantsies. This is what real men look like from your neck of the woods. It gets good at 2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIUwo_GgmE

Can't argue there. Change the pipe to a dirty bassline and you've got jungle  8)

BobGrau

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 01:57:09 PM
Oh, we all know about the Scots, but they should just watch Braveheart again and remember how it all turns out in the end. Mess with the Sassenachs and you find yourself getting hanged and your dick cut off. I often watch that on wet afternoons to cheer myself up.

You hate australians that much?

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 01:48:08 PM
American beer is truly a disgrace to humanity,

I think we can all agree on that!

Quoteand they should be made to apologise for that abomination every day of their wretched lives.

I'll apologize for that if you'll do the same for the English breakfast.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 03, 2015, 03:01:55 PM
I'll apologize for that if you'll do the same for the English breakfast.

OK, smart guy. First of all, it's spelled "apologise" in the civilised parts of the world. I am talking about the English language here, not the grubby semaphore that you lot insist on polluting the world with.

Secondly, I reject your insinuations about the noble English breakfast with indignation and contempt. I don't suppose a bastard like you will ever get to heaven, but when the moment comes for me, I fully expect to see, on my arrival at the pearly gates, a steaming plate of black pudding swimming in grease - preferably prepared by someone who has just emerged from the bathroom without washing their hands.

I just don't understand some people.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 03:13:36 PM
OK, smart guy. First of all, it's spelled "apologise" in the civilised parts of the world. I am talking about the English language here, not the grubby semaphore that you lot insist on polluting the world with.

Secondly, I reject your insinuations about the noble English breakfast with indignation and contempt. I don't suppose a bastard like you will ever get to heaven, but when the moment comes for me, I fully expect to see, on my arrival at the pearly gates, a steaming plate of black pudding swimming in grease - preferably prepared by someone who has just emerged from the bathroom without washing their hands.

Is this you tormenting these poor children?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 03:13:36 PM

When you describe it that way, it actually sounds halfway palatable.  I must never have had one that was prepared properly. 

Now, if only there was something that could be done about Yorkie's spotted dick...

GravitySucks

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 02:02:54 PM
Yes, but notice that no women have been posting? IB doesn't count (we all know she's a dude) the reason being that their hands are fully occupied imagining their own personal British Invasion to be bothered with a keyboard.
400 pound trucker named Randall if I remember correctly.

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2015, 03:40:46 PM
400 pound trucker named Randall if I remember correctly.

Yes, the one with the new truck.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 01:48:08 PM
... American beer is truly a disgrace to humanity...

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 03, 2015, 03:01:55 PM
I think we can all agree on that!...

It is and we can if we are talking about Bud, Miller, Coors, and all the other crap industrial production light yellow beers, some even made partially from rice.

But I'll take just about any handcrafted brewpub beer made here over just about any English beer anytime.  Those were ok before we started making the good stuff here, but they are not even worth considering now - I don't even remember the last time I had one, and don't want to think about it.  In fact the only Eurobeers that even begin to measure up now are some of the Belgians - and ok, maybe a few others like certain wheat beers, certain seasonal Christmas beers..

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on November 03, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
So good to hear SV makes good on his promises.

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 03, 2015, 04:31:09 PM
It is and we can if we are talking about Bud, Miller, Coors, and all the other crap industrial production light yellow beers, some even made partially from rice.

But I'll take just about any handcrafted brewpub beer made here over just about any English beer anytime.  Those were ok before we started making the good stuff here, but they are not even worth considering now - I don't even remember the last time I had one, and don't want to think about it.  In fact the only Eurobeers that even begin to measure up now are some of the Belgians - and ok, maybe a few others like certain wheat beers, certain seasonal Christmas beers..
There is a place for swill and water. On a warm day one might not want drinking liquid bread or something strong or particularly tasty and it is a way to stay hydrated. Working in the yard, mowing lawns, or times in which dust, grass, bugs might get into the beer and where you just want a beer you can drink many of. Or places like the lake, hunting, or etc where beer might be spilt, forgotten half-drunk, canned (don't want broken glass on the boat,) or for large gatherings where you have to pay (get a keg of some "American Adjunct Lager" and save some $$, and a special stash of good beer for you and select few.)

Having said that I actually love English beers (bitters and 'real ales' and I don't mind them being 'warm'- as Americans always claim.) I don't like most Scot beer except the 'cheap' stuff like Tennent's 70. Something about their taste I don't like. I also enjoy British food- so call me crazy. I'll take it over French or Belgian 'haute cuisine' any day of the week. Most of the people there are ok, though it is a shame that much of it is turning into some hybrid of Islam and Russian oligarchs and is now ruled by bureaucrats in places like Strasbourg and Brussels.

weeberwubber

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2015, 04:45:35 PM
So good to hear SV makes good on his promises.

You do have to watch out that the Benedict Cumberbatch modulation doesn't partially mesmerize and affect your analysis. For example, when a gent named Derek Acorah said he needed money for some dentistry in exchange for a fun adventure it was wholly believable because of the accent and required use of the funds, but then it turns out that any fun adventure on that island apparently involved boarding a vessel and sailing to Amsterdam and when it's brought up that the guy has nearly all his teeth anyway, near to a full set as I believe they get, it's devolves to it being NONE of your business and crying out in pain while using the money to buy Cinnabon. Then it all seems to be a sham. So you have to be careful.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 03, 2015, 04:31:09 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Those beers are embarrassments and I apologize for them once again to our friends across The Pond.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on November 03, 2015, 04:14:04 PM

The nice shiny emblem on the front that says Peterbilt has a real special meaning.

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2015, 05:58:03 PM
The nice shiny emblem on the front that says Peterbilt has a real special meaning.

Well, it has a special meaning if one has a peter that one can be proud of.

Quote from: albrecht on November 03, 2015, 04:46:40 PM
There is a place for swill and water. On a warm day one might not want drinking liquid bread or something strong or particularly tasty and it is a way to stay hydrated. Working in the yard, mowing lawns, or times in which dust, grass, bugs might get into the beer and where you just want a beer you can drink many of. Or places like the lake, hunting, or etc where beer might be spilt, forgotten half-drunk, canned (don't want broken glass on the boat,) or for large gatherings where you have to pay (get a keg of some "American Adjunct Lager" and save some $$, and a special stash of good beer for you and select few.)

Having said that I actually love English beers (bitters and 'real ales' and I don't mind them being 'warm'- as Americans always claim.) I don't like most Scot beer except the 'cheap' stuff like Tennent's 70. Something about their taste I don't like. I also enjoy British food- so call me crazy. I'll take it over French or Belgian 'haute cuisine' any day of the week. Most of the people there are ok, though it is a shame that much of it is turning into some hybrid of Islam and Russian oligarchs and is now ruled by bureaucrats in places like Strasbourg and Brussels.

One can get pale ales's, blond ales, pilsners, etc, or even a lighter Heffen Weisen wheat beer - very light crisp beers for a hot summers day - that actually have flavor, one can get the so-called session brews that are lower alcohol so many can be enjoyed during one 'session', and more and more craft beers are sold in cans now.

Every English beer I've tried has had the same hint of some skunky bitter taste.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly, but it ruins them in comparison to ours - I'm not sure what it is, they can't all be using the same hops. 

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 03, 2015, 08:52:31 PM
One can get pale ales's, blond ales, pilsners, etc, or even a lighter Heffen Weisen wheat beer - very light crisp beers for a hot summers day - that actually have flavor, one can get the so-called session brews that are lower alcohol so many can be enjoyed during one 'session', and more and more craft beers are sold in cans now.

Every English beer I've tried has had the same hint of some skunky bitter taste.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly, but it ruins them in comparison to ours - I'm not sure what it is, they can't all be using the same hops.
True, though at the price-point (or if one is buying for a bunch of other people) I still same "American Adjunct Lager" has a place; for nothing else is it sounds so legalistic and we Americans love our lawsuits.
Re: English beer. Usually that is a case of bad storage temperature-wise, unclean keg lines, etc though, for certain brews, that taste is intended or, at least, traditional. I don't mind it and actually desire it. I don't think there is any (at least available easily) beers that approach the taste- even when bottled or shipped over. Something about the gravity draw, temp in basements, etc? Plus maybe our lawyers and bureacrats demand pasteurization? Or the export market says must have more ABV to keep fresh (wasn't that why, initially IPA, was made?)

ps: lest these limeys offend you, the best selling beers in Britain are some stuff made by the big boys and are, at least approximately, similar as our stuff. Carling, Stella, Guinness Extra-Cold (why, in God's name, why, make it cold,) Kronenborg 1664, Carlsburg, even Budweiser is found many places etc.

paladin1991

Quote from: Puxley on November 03, 2015, 12:27:23 PM
...WTF...lol...Richard D Hall...anyone?....crickets!
;D

*crickets, the bugs, not the 'game'* 

Who?

paladin1991

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 03, 2015, 01:32:51 PM
You're welcome. Or should that be 'your'? I bet you use the grocer's apostrophe too.

I don't know why Brits have a reputation for being condescending bastards.

When of course, everyone knows that you are pompous bastards.

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 04, 2015, 12:11:30 AM
When of course, everyone knows that you are pompous bastards.
You must forgive them. They have eliminated much of their common law and even deeper things and are now ruled by bureaucrats and judges in places like Strasbourg, Brussells, and etc.

Quote from: albrecht on November 04, 2015, 12:24:27 AM
You must forgive them. They have eliminated much of their common law and even deeper things and are now ruled by bureaucrats and judges in places like Strasbourg, Brussells, and etc.

Nothing good has ever sprouted from Brussells. Or Flanders. Stupid Flanders.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 04, 2015, 12:43:11 AM
Nothing good has ever sprouted from Brussells. Or Flanders. Stupid Flanders.

Dammit, this RGG guy barely shows up anymore and still has the best post of the day. 

Puxley

Great...so we can all agree that "Richard D Hall" would make an excellent guest.
:)

SredniVashtar

I would like to wish all my fellow Brits on here (both of them, but we are individually worth at least ten of you regular 'murricans) a happy Bonfire Night. In case you weren't lucky enough to have won the lottery of Life and been born British, (you poor devils!) it's a bit like the Fourth of July, in that there a lot of fireworks. However, we like our fireworks over here to have an added flavour of religious genocide. As someone once said, cold is just God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics, and today is all about the torture, ritual dismemberment and immolation of someone who preferred a different brand of religious affiliation to the one popular at the time.

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of Novemember. Gunpowder, treason and plot..."

I can never remember how the rest goes.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 05, 2015, 10:23:24 AM
I would like to wish all my fellow Brits on here (both of them, but we are individually worth at least ten of you regular 'murricans) a happy Bonfire Night. In case you weren't lucky enough to have won the lottery of Life and been born British, (you poor devils!) it's a bit like the Fourth of July, in that there a lot of fireworks. However, we like our fireworks over here to have an added flavour of religious genocide. As someone once said, cold is just God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics, and today is all about the torture, ritual dismemberment and immolation of someone who preferred a different brand of religious affiliation to the one popular at the time.

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of Novemember. Gunpowder, treason and plot..."

I can never remember how the rest goes.

Have a bang up time, SV!  Penny for the Guy?

It's just a shame that Yorkie always selfishly tries to take advantage of the day for his own personal gain.  As you can see, he's been working that "cost of living" scam since he was a wee nipper.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 05, 2015, 11:56:24 AM
It's just a shame that Yorkie always selfishly tries to take advantage of the day for his own personal gain.  As you can see, he's been working that "cost of living" scam since he was a wee nipper.

I thought enterprise was a watchword in the land of  the free paranoid, shit scared, insular? It's never failed me yet. This year I've collected 63 pence. Mainly from the poor.