• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

Juan Cena

Quote from: JoeStrong on August 26, 2015, 11:49:29 PM
the robot body will be ready soon.
The quantum computer will not be small enough for a while after that.
Then,,,,
after we all upload ourselves into the robot body's
with the quantum computers
the sun will send out a EMF and kill all non humans.

Are you Dave?

Nah, can't be. Dave isn't capable of that level of capability of processing information.

Soul maybe to me it seems the memories of our interactions and relationships and the storage of those memories and later retrieval for examination at will.

zeebo

Quote from: whiptrackercracker on August 26, 2015, 11:54:38 PM
"Maybe" is what we call fuzzy logic

Yep, already got it in my rice cooker from Japan.  Works great.

Wonder what he thinks of military work on these topics such as something like military robot subs?

Also robotic choppers?

Quote from: zeebo on August 26, 2015, 11:58:29 PM
Yep, already got it in my rice cooker from Japan.  Works great.

bwwaaahahahahahaha  :D ;D :D

RoseGirl

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 26, 2015, 11:58:19 PM
Soul maybe to me it seems the memories of our interactions and relationships and the storage of those memories and later retrieval for examination at will.

eww

if that's a soul...then, geez...there's no hope for us!

inuk2600

We should be able to enhance human intelligence, but we would problably need to direct evolution to do that. And that would be a multigeneration project that would require the participation of a very large population a la eugenics.

RoseGirl

anyone else having trouble with the stream and the bellgab page?

norland2424

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 27, 2015, 12:00:01 AM

the stream is cutting out for me, but the page is fine

albrecht

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 11:51:03 PM
Yes, that's one of the things I'm warning about.  That's what people like Ray Kurzweil are saying we should embrace.

But the dangers extend past that.  Just look at the videos of the DARPA robots.  With that kind of technology, controlling the population will be a breeze.  Do we really want the government to leverage that kind of overwhelming technology to gain a totalitarian control over society?

If someone is okay with that notion, they're insane or stupid.
We already "hacked" (at least many) by social media etc. The biggest companies were involved with various gov't agencies in the "start up " phase even. And this was known or done even when it was analog stuff. Now it is  just bigger and economies of scale and cheap storage and processing. Leaving aside the old crazy Art callers theories of "master beast computer" in Brussels, or wherever, it is a done deal for most part. The last part is the money. Today the gal at the register "checked" if a 5$ bill I used was legit with that pen. I even commented: they are faking a $5 bill?? That would probably cost a lot more to fake than worth it. She shrugged and said "company policy now."

Gumby, Dammit

Fuck yes. It overcooked my goddamn rice.Shit.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: inuk2600 on August 26, 2015, 11:47:11 PM

With the brain or rather conciousness, you're starting with no solid baseline, and many orders of complexity. Evolution built us a convoluted mess. AI is already progressing quickly.

Progressing quickly as far as bells and whistles like SIRI, but the fact is when you get past the interface for it it's not that smart at it's most basic level. Not even on the level of a cockroach. In other words it presents the appearance of AI, and it is to a degree, but it's not really that advanced. Even when you get to things like Watson, it's smart in one specific way, but that's all it does. Even with the supercomputers, yeah, you can reproduce 1 percent of the human brain working for a few seconds if you spread it over the course of 40 minutes, but that's still just reproducing one small aspect of a bird brain that happens to be operating very slowly.

To put it in a nutshell, the progress of AI is overestimated and the progress of biotech is underestimated.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: norland2424 on August 27, 2015, 12:01:24 AM
the stream is cutting out for me, but the page is fine
DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!!!

...unless you see the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man (of course)

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 27, 2015, 12:02:08 AM
Progressing quickly as far as bells and whistles like SIRI, but the fact is when you get past the interface for it it's not that smart at it's most basic level. Not even on the level of a cockroach. In other words it presents the appearance of AI, and it is to a degree, but it's not really that advanced. Even when you get to things like Watson, it's smart in one specific way, but that's all it does. Even with the supercomputers, yeah, you can reproduce 1 percent of the human brain working for a few seconds if you spread it over the course of 40 minutes, but that's still just reproducing one small aspect of a bird brain that happens to be operating very slowly.

To put it in a nutshell, the progress of AI is overestimated and the progress of biotech is underestimated.
I like you, Flipper.
Ever read any Phillip Jose Farmer per chance?

WanagoBleu

Yes, the BG page. All night.

Xitheron

What he's saying sounds crazier than having a soul... and he's talking about science. I love this show.

You maybe never the same person ever, you can never step into the same river twice. Both the river and you maybe never different. You would have to model out to infinity with your algorithm so we chop that down to probability and that momentary perspective.

SciFiAuthor

What does a soul matter if biotechnology allows immortality?

Spinner

Quote from: whiptrackercracker on August 26, 2015, 11:54:38 PM
"Maybe" is what we call fuzzy logic
Indeed. And it has been around in many applications for decades. I wish Marcus would have explained that.

RoseGirl

Y'all should check out the song 'Robot' by Ivory Layne. Totally perfect for this show and, ironically, I played it on my show just last night. Best. Song. Ever. Check it out on ITunes here:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/volume-one-ep/id647284740

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 27, 2015, 12:05:01 AM
You maybe never the same person ever, you can never step into the same river twice. Both the river and you maybe never different. You would have to model out to infinity with your algorithm so we chop that down to probability and that momentary perspective.
What?

RoseGirl

I tried to upload the song here...but it was too big. *shrug*

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 26, 2015, 11:59:27 PM
Wonder what he thinks of military work on these topics such as something like military robot subs?

I sent a wormhole message at the very beginning asking him about this very subject.  DARPA robots etc.

Quote from: Spinner on August 27, 2015, 12:05:43 AM

Indeed. And it has been around in many applications for decades. I wish Marcus would have explained that.

There is a whole field called Fractional Calculus, which is the more generic, but less touched upon, form of Calculus. Much of that field is also starting to approach concepts in controls and AI, from a similar but different perspective.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 27, 2015, 12:05:51 AM
Y'all should check out the song 'Robot' by Ivory Layne. Totally perfect for this show and, ironically, I played it on my show just last night. Best. Song. Ever. Check it out on ITunes here:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/volume-one-ep/id647284740
Best song ever? I thought Mojo Nixon's "Lyin' Cocksuckers" was the best song ever. WTF?