• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150819 - Bill Birnes and Jim Sanders - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 19, 2015, 09:19:58 PM

trostol

all i know about thermite i learned from Mythbusters

AppealPlay

So I'm guessing that he received stolen property which he knew to be from TWA 800 and he neglected to call the authorities to turn it over?  That is a questionable case, isn't it?  I can see both sides of the issue, honestly.  On one hand it's similar to receiving classified documents and publishing them but on the other hand tangible objects seems different than documents.

I don't know what to think about it.  I'm going to have to do more research about it.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 19, 2015, 11:05:02 PM
CHEFIST--

You're the chemist here, isn't thermite kinda like magnesium?  I mean it burn at an extremely high temperature, but doesn't high order detonate?  If that's correct, that would require missile to actually strike the a/c, taking away the tactical advantage of a proximity shrapnel warhead.  Who would want a missile like that?

I'm not an expert, but I think thermite is used in anti-tank and anti-ship missiles by some countries. But aircraft? That doesn't make sense.

Herbn-Legend

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on August 19, 2015, 11:04:40 PM
I just haven't heard anything new. This is the same stuff, no smoking gun...all been said before. Just rehashing it all over. If this guy Sanders, was a good investigator he'd be getting people to talk who are involved in   the cover up. Or something to prove the point. We can have an open mind but you don't solve things by just repeating the same facts etc over and over...facts!!  They pushing it for a book...a little late, no?
yah NO DOUBT. Nothin new😒😔😒

ArJuna

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 19, 2015, 10:31:15 PM
Very well could be a cover up, honestly.  The official story of TWA 800 has always seemed fishy to me.

I never had much doubt that the Navy accidentally shot the plane down.  The early reports are usually the most accurate and the early stories all pointed to a missile.   The nearby Navy exercises were implied early on as well.  It was months later when I talked to my brother-in-law who said he saw the missile.  This sealed it for me.

I can't believe it has already been 19 years.  It seems like yesterday.

AppealPlay

Quote from: ArJuna on August 19, 2015, 11:07:30 PM
I never had much doubt that the Navy accidentally shot the plane down.  The early reports are usually the most accurate and the early stories all pointed to a missile.   The nearby Navy exercises were implied early on as well.  It was months later when I talked to my brother-in-law who said he saw the missile.  This sealed it for me.

I can't believe it has already been 19 years.  It seems like yesterday.

Same to me.  It really doesn't seem like 19 years ago.  We're all getting older and the questions never seem to be truly answered.

Great radio tonight in any event.

The meaning of life is thermite, thermite, thermite!!!!

Jocko Johnson

If what they are saying in this court case was true...there would be no way they could not win an appeal and over turn this conviction.

aldousburbank

Dude's got a felony for possession of a piece of chair? I like him.

trostol

not trying to..bash here but was Art always this..at least sounding wise..quick to believe these types of stories? or is he just playing up to all this?

Herbn-Legend

Hahahahahahaha hez graspin at strawz😡 hold yur breath😡

Juan Cena

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on August 19, 2015, 11:04:40 PM
I just haven't heard anything new. This is the same stuff, no smoking gun...all been said before. Just rehashing it all over. If this guy Sanders, was a good investigator he'd be getting people to talk who are involved in   the cover up. Or something to prove the point. We can have an open mind but you don't solve things by just repeating the same facts etc over and over...facts!!  They pushing it for a book...a little late, no?

20th anniversary is coming up next year.

Herbn-Legend

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 19, 2015, 11:10:34 PM
George iz on air now 💩
never listened to that show after the 1st nite he waz on. But glad u kno wat time he startz

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 19, 2015, 11:05:02 PM
CHEFIST--

You're the chemist here, isn't thermite kinda like magnesium?  I mean it burn at an extremely high temperature, but doesn't high order detonate?  If that's correct, that would require missile to actually strike the a/c, taking away the tactical advantage of a proximity shrapnel warhead.  Who would want a missile like that?

Thermite was mainly used in incendiary bombing...start fires with burning metal (magnesium, others)...the fires start...drop percussion bombs to spread the fires....then you have fire bombing! Killed many more than nuclear in WWII...

Surface to air would not be necessary...

OH, Fire Bombing is illegal! But not Nuclear Weapons! Figure that one out!

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 19, 2015, 11:06:50 PM
I'm not an expert, but I think thermite is used in anti-tank and anti-ship missiles by some countries. But aircraft? That doesn't make sense.

It wouldn't seem to be very effective.  It doesn't seem like you would need to burn through an aircraft's 'armour' to bring it down.  Maybe it would be useful against large, slow troop transports that can take a lot of physical damage?

Jocko Johnson

Does anyone see an impact or a hit? I see a missile maybe explode but no impact or plane in the sky? Did I miss something?

PrairieGhost

Can one of you wormhole Art for me because my access is having the error Art talked about. There is 2 minutes missing in the video. It jumps from 00:22.9 to 00:24.04!

Uncle Duke

starrmtn001

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on August 19, 2015, 11:08:28 PM
If what they are saying in this court case was true...there would be no way they could not win an appeal and over turn this conviction.
JOCKO!!! ;D Good question.

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on August 19, 2015, 11:10:13 PM
not trying to..bash here but was Art always this..at least sounding wise..quick to believe these types of stories? or is he just playing up to all this?

Maybe he's giving Bill some slack bacause of Future Theater and Nancy's help in promoting MITD

trostol

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 19, 2015, 11:15:22 PM
Maybe he's giving Bill some slack bacause of Future Theater and Nancy's help in promoting MITD

that i can understand..just seems most of the shows since he started back save a few he has ..seemed to believe a lot of what was said

ArJuna

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on August 19, 2015, 10:50:00 PM
I may be wrong, but to my knowledge the US military DOES NOT have any lethal system,  rocket, missile, gun, tank, drone, artillery,  sub based missile or any other type of weapon that fires without the final "fire" command coming from a human and without a human input and approval to fire. Even new systems this is a no change game ender for all weapons approvals. There is nothing fire and forget without a live person "pushing the button."

I was in the Navy in the late 1970's early 1980's.  Under General Quarters (Battle Stations) my place was in the CIC (Combat Information Center) on the air search radar.  Back then we did not have computers, but I know the Captain always had the final say at the last moment when we fired weapons.  I can't imagine they would ever relegate those decisions to a computer.  I could see telling a computer to fire, but the decision to do so would likely be the Captain or a delegated ranking officer.  To me it seems a convenient way to deflect the blame in this TWA-800 incident.