• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150805 - Flat Earth Debate - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 05, 2015, 05:42:00 PM

nextgen.fm

another mentally ill guest to add to the list

CongoRanger

I have to say I enjoyed the show for quite a while. It's nice to hear a Scientist who has some balls and is willing to argue. I hate the politeness that many in the field show idea's or people that deserve none of it.

I want a solo interview with the Professor now.

zdogfish

Just because this guy believes the earth is flat then that is the way it is and everyone should think the same as him. Sounds real familiar with what is going on in our country. Art should have shut him down before the first break.

Jackstar

Quote from: nextgenfm on August 06, 2015, 02:39:18 PM
another mentally ill guest to add to the list

of members of the class action lawsuit against NASA for lying to everyone. What they are doing is not just. Look at all the people they have driven mad.

Quote from: zdogfish on August 06, 2015, 03:16:23 PM
Just because this guy believes the earth is flat then that is the way it is and everyone should think the same as him. Sounds real familiar with what is going on in our country. Art should have shut him down before the first break.

The "old" Art might have actually. The "new" Art is willing to let someone dig their own grave, and bury themselves with their own two hands.

;D

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 06, 2015, 02:37:04 PM
How utterly ridiculous.

Shows like this make me koo koo for Kakuu.
After the last two nights, I'm longing for Ed Dames.  ::) Is somebody trying to sabotage MiTD?

albrecht

I loved the show. I like wild theories and crazy people but it was nice to find a "legit" guest who would listen and debate the crazy guy. Though, in Jon's defense, for most of humanity's existence his theory was the more prevalent one and the "round earthers" were considered the nutsos.

Faustina

Sadly, I didn't like last night's show at all.  I wanted to, but my brain wouldn't cooperate.  It would have maybe been alright if Flat-Earther had been one of those eccentric-but-charming-with-it characters, but he was not:  he was just annoying.  I turned it off after an hour, and then back on again after I read online that Art had gone to open lines.  That kept the show from being a complete waste of time, but probably should have happened sooner, imo.

aldousburbank

My brain is very weird and by default runs mostly into the woods of disagreement with everyone about nearly everything. Mostly, I just smile and act like I agree with them so that we don't end up hurling rocks at each other. To me, everyone is  something of a flat earther. Nonetheless, I try to act civil, kind, and not let them harsh my enlightenment mellow.  ::)

Wonder if anyone that doubts this flat earth thing will actually read the book the guy referred us to? I include Art and the "science" guru in that wonder, most likely not...which confirms my belief that if something sounds crazy or different we turn off our minds instantly, and as the poor kid was trying to explain we maybe psychologically programmed to turn it off in childhood with the indoctrination of public thinking and public learning. IN order to find genius one mostly usually has to step outside the boundaries of public thinking and public beliefs, regardless of the outcome and vilification....it maybe the only real manner in which progress gets made.

QuoteThe historical case studies also act as a reductio.[8] Feyerabend takes the premise that Galileo's advancing of a heliocentric cosmology was an example of scientific progress. He then demonstrates that Galileo did not adhere to the conditions of methodological monism. Feyerabend also argues that, if Galileo had adhered to the conditions of methodological monism, then he could not have advanced a heliocentric cosmology. This implies that scientific progress would have been impaired by methodological monism. Again, an absurdity for proponents of the scientific method.[9]

Feyerabend summarises his reductios with the phrase "anything goes". This is his sarcastic imitation of "the terrified reaction of a rationalist who takes a closer look at history".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_Method

https://archive.org/details/zeteticastronom00rowbgoog

https://youtu.be/zTLkiJUX05A

ShayP

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 06, 2015, 05:02:16 PM
Wonder if anyone that doubts this flat earth thing will read the book the guy referred us to?

https://archive.org/details/zeteticastronom00rowbgoog

https://youtu.be/zTLkiJUX05A

I remember an old Art Bell interview with this guy.  Very enjoyable.

Quote from: BattyBrooke on August 06, 2015, 01:10:07 AM
That "640" that was heard right after the JC clip call, was the station KFIam 640 promo, which is the station Dave is on here in Los Angeles (where he is based)!!!!!

Ahhh.. Dave pranked Art!

K_Dubb

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 06, 2015, 04:55:57 PM
My brain is very weird and by default runs mostly into the woods of disagreement with everyone about nearly everything.

I'm a knee-jerk contrarian too.  I think it's from being made to sit in church and religious school for years being lectured about what was true.  At my age I've more-or-less figured out a reality I can live with and absolute truths aren't interesting any more.  But I like hearing different perspectives, trying on somebody else's mind for a while.  Thus it was a bit of a shock to tune in to Art Bell to hear a fringe theory being smashed to bits by scientific orthodoxy.  Thankfully Hoagie was there to mellow out to.

ziznak

HELL no I never read all the posts on the live thread but i like to skim through them while im at work BEFORE i go home and get to listen to the show... eastern time zone like mrs C... Ideally i get home smoke a phatty and listen to a few hours of Art before drifting into a stoney sleep for a while.  Hopefully I awaken shortly before midnight and catch a bit of the live show before I fall back out.

ziznak

Quote from: Faustina on August 06, 2015, 04:54:24 PM
Sadly, I didn't like last night's show at all.  I wanted to, but my brain wouldn't cooperate.  It would have maybe been alright if Flat-Earther had been one of those eccentric-but-charming-with-it characters, but he was not:  he was just annoying.  I turned it off after an hour, and then back on again after I read online that Art had gone to open lines.  That kept the show from being a complete waste of time, but probably should have happened sooner, imo.
when exactly does this goto open lines?... might as well listen to people argue about what color the sky is.

btw really its just the flat-earther... sounds like some entitled douchebag.  is this guy qualified for anything???

henge0stone

I'm listening to it now I love it!! I love how it was going over the flat earth points theory points and a PHD telling him how dumb the theory is. It was a good show to show how retarded the flat earth theory is.

ziznak

I havent gotten to the calls yet and im still listening... just sounds like some idiot kid talking to a scientist.  I don't mind re-hearing the actual scientific reasons why the flat earth is stupid but... the argumentative back in forth is a lil grating

psycheinaboat

I enjoyed last nights show immensely, but I like a good cringe-worthy snark fest.

henge0stone

If there weren't a flat-Earth society full of mentally challenged people and trolls I would say it wouldn't be worth doing. But since there is this dumb theory I think a show like this needed to be done. Can't wait for the Bigfoot episode tonight!

EDIT You can actually hear Jon's stupidity hurting Art's head.

Yes RAW "maybe" very much missed. I think the flat earth kid was disobeying RAW's second model...don't believe totally in your own BS.....but one could say the same for the scientist and ART....though I thought the two of them were far more in line with both of RAW's models then the FE "critter".

ItsOver

Quote from: Faustina on August 06, 2015, 04:54:24 PM
Yes.  My thoughts, too.  Well, other than flat earth stuff is completely ridiculous and not very entertaining.  Even if the Earth WAS flat, yeah, well OK.  It's not like a chupacabra was going to eat me alive in my backyard.

Quote from: ItsOver on August 06, 2015, 06:29:02 PM
Yes.  My thoughts, too.  Well, other than flat earth stuff is completely ridiculous and not very entertaining.  Even if the Earth WAS flat, yeah, well OK.  It's not like a chupacabra was going to eat me alive in my backyard.

Or an asteroid was going to strike the planet in September or something like that....I agree, sometimes something that doesn't have bells and whistles kind of just takes the wind out of the sails a little bit.

ItsOver

Quote from: QuantumMystics on August 06, 2015, 06:46:03 PM
Or an asteroid was going to strike the planet in September or something like that....I agree, sometimes something that doesn't have bells and whistles kind of just takes the wind out of the sails a little bit.
Yes, you got it.  Even crackpot Ed Dames would get your attention when he first was on eons ago with his Dr. Doom predictions.  Ack, "The Kill Shot!" :o  Time has shown he was full of it but who knew at the time for sure.   Well, other than Paper*Boy, of course.  ;)

I was actually hoping for some flat Earth arguments that would challenge my  reasoning ability or provide interesting alternative/greater reality scenarios.  I wish Jon had been given more of an opportunity to explain his points, but it didn't sound like he had much intelligent to say anyway.

Auslandia

Quote from: henge0stone on August 06, 2015, 05:54:17 PM
If there weren't a flat-Earth society full of mentally challenged people and trolls I would say it wouldn't be worth doing. But since there is this dumb theory I think a show like this needed to be done. Can't wait for the Bigfoot episode tonight!

EDIT You can actually hear Jon's stupidity hurting Art's head.

Oh god Bigfoot?  This is gonna get stupid really quickly.

zeebo

Quote from: ZomZom on August 06, 2015, 08:22:31 AM
I hadn't paid much attention to flat-earthers, but I had always assumed they were intelligent people who engaged in sophistry-as-entertainment. Learning they are true believers winks out another star of my misplaced faith in humanity....

This is a good point.  I'd assumed the same and was surprised it was generic claims about "geometry" and "perspective" mixed with hyperbole that the rest of us are just brainwashed globe believers. 

I thought the arguments themselves could be interesting (even if totally wrong) but instead it was pretty much just wild ranting.  I ended up enjoying the show but for different reasons, mainly that it was just over-the-top ridiculous.

Quote from: zeebo on August 06, 2015, 07:03:31 PM
This is a good point.  I'd assumed the same and was surprised it was just generic claims about "geometry" and "perspective" mixed with hyperbole that the rest of us are brainwashed globe believers. 

I thought the arguments themselves could be interesting (even if totally wrong) but instead it was pretty much just wild ranting.  I ended up enjoying the show but for different reasons, mainly that it was just over-the-top ridiculous.

Don't try to scoop me.  The Hyperbola Earth theory is mine.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on August 06, 2015, 07:03:31 PM
...I ended up enjoying the show but for different reasons, mainly that it was just over-the-top ridiculous.
If we'd only had an incompetent, doofus host, it would have seemed eerily familiar.  ;)

ziznak

whats this pb thinks the earth is flat now?