• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cryptozoology/monster shows?

Started by henge0stone, July 03, 2015, 12:53:48 AM

henge0stone

Going through the archives I couldn't find too many shows on cryptos or monsters. Sure we had the Bigfoot scream, Bugs and  Coleman but there aren't too many. Anyone have another more crypto shows somewhere?

wr250

Quote from: henge0stone on July 03, 2015, 12:53:48 AM
Going through the archives I couldn't find too many shows on cryptos or monsters. Sure we had the Bigfoot scream, Bugs and  Coleman but there aren't too many. Anyone have another more crypto shows somewhere?
you mean like 20' long river fish?

Quote from: henge0stone on July 03, 2015, 12:53:48 AM

https://www.sasquatchchronicles.com/

There is that podcast. But there was a bit of a controversy about them not too long ago.

analog kid

Mysterious Universe used to be great for that. They have an archive of shows that are worthwhile, but the full shows are behind a paywall.

zeebo

My fave part of the old Ian Punnett shows was his "crypto news". 

chefist

I love Bigfoot stories...but it's been 50 years since the height of the interest with the Patterson film and still no Bigfoot caught or killed...I amazed at all the TV reality shows about it...keeps people's interest still....

Juan Cena

Quote from: chefist on July 03, 2015, 12:12:16 PM
I love Bigfoot stories...but it's been 50 years since the height of the interest with the Patterson film and still no Bigfoot caught or killed...I amazed at all the TV reality shows about it...keeps people's interest still....

The last cryptid to really make it to the big time was what, Chupacabra, maybe? Or worse: Rods?

Even stuff like Black Eyed Children are pretty much manifestations of vampires or shadow people or men in black.

That's the big argument against more paranormal shows. There really isn't that much under the sun. Everything is really derivative of older paranormal memes.

henge0stone

Yeah Bigfoot got the most attention. Did Art ever talk about other cryptids, maybe some real-ish ones like the  colossal squid or other sea monsters?

Quote from: henge0stone on July 04, 2015, 06:43:06 AM
Yeah Bigfoot got the most attention. Did Art ever talk about other cryptids, maybe some real-ish ones like the  colossal squid or other sea monsters?

Thunderbirds.

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 04, 2015, 01:44:25 AM
The last cryptid to really make it to the big time was what, Chupacabra, maybe? Or worse: Rods?...

The Rod thing was awful.

What is Mothman supposed to be, and alien or a cryptid?

Juan Cena

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 04, 2015, 08:14:56 AM
The Rod thing was awful.

What is Mothman supposed to be, and alien or a cryptid?

I think Mothman is/was supposed to be a combination of a cryptid and a supernatural creature.

At least Rods were interesting for a few minutes. Art really did seem to try his best to sell it at the time.

henge0stone

Yeah the Rods thing was a pile of stupidity. When did Art talk about Thunderbirds? I recall a lot of Bigfoot and Chupa shows but not much else.

Robert

Quote from: zeebo on July 03, 2015, 12:06:31 PMMy fave part of the old Ian Punnett shows was his "crypto news".
That was great stuff.  Makes me wonder why Knapp relegates it to the Web site.

Robert

Quote from: Juan Cena on July 04, 2015, 08:32:01 AMI think Mothman is/was supposed to be a combination of a cryptid and a supernatural creature.
The only way John Keel had to make sense of the evidence about a lot of these things was to have them as facultative beings, able to move between a material existence & a non-material or other-universe one.  On one hand, evidence he found credible of Loch Ness monster, etc.; on the other, no ecologic support for such large animals where they've been sighted.  Plus acc'ts that appeared to be of such things materializing and/or dematerializing.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Robert on July 04, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
That was great stuff.  Makes me wonder why Knapp relegates it to the Web site.

I would suppose its because he wants to use his prescious moments of airtime on interviewing the guests.

The other theory is that TPTB won't let him because it would make Dave's nightly opening segment a hundred times more pathetic than it already is.

You all have perhaps noticed that movies reveal cultural dynamics and such; for instance, how movie villains change with generations.  For a time, the villains were Nazis, then Soviet communists, now, Islamists...

In sci-fi, aliens for decades were monstrous destroyers.  In the later 70's and 80's, they became more gentle, even friendly (ET, Starman, Cocoon...).

Maybe we are seeing a similar reflection of culture and technology on this subject.  With the tsunami of information on the web and 999 tv channels, we have become bored, cynical (or simply more able to spot nonsense)...

All I know is that it is more difficult to suspend disbelief. As a result, that wonderful campfire story entertainment quality that went with tales of UFO's, cryptids, EVP, etc., has been lost.  Makes me kinda sad.

zeebo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 05, 2015, 11:57:22 AM
You all have perhaps noticed that movies reveal cultural dynamics and such; for instance, how movie villains change with generations.  For a time, the villains were Nazis, then Soviet communists, now, Islamists...

In sci-fi, aliens for decades were monstrous destroyers.  In the later 70's and 80's, they became more gentle, even friendly (ET, Starman, Cocoon...).

Maybe we are seeing a similar reflection of culture and technology on this subject.  With the tsunami of information on the web and 999 tv channels, we have become bored, cynical (or simply more able to spot nonsense)...

All I know is that it is more difficult to suspend disbelief. As a result, that wonderful campfire story entertainment quality that went with tales of UFO's, cryptids, EVP, etc., has been lost.  Makes me kinda sad.

You make a good point.  My tactic is to treat all such subjects as mere speculation, much like a good sci-fi story, and let the mind run with the idea of "What if?" Helps me keep the fun present in these modern times of information overload.  (A good glass of sippin' whiskey nearby also helps.)

albrecht

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 05, 2015, 11:57:22 AM

It also seems, even without the internet, just from decades of listening that it is harder to believe that a guest often REALLY believes the stuff. And a tale not told well with conviction is much harder to believe (not that I really believed but if it seems they are just hawking another book it is not entertaining. Art was entertaining because, at least for some guests/callers, you thought "this guy really thinks the earth is hollow and Atlantis is Neptune or something such.)

Also because the same guest now is excited about "missing people" (for example) and talking about the phenomena but you recall that a few years back he was excited about Bigfoot. And many others seems to throw EVERYTHING out-there instead of focusing on one subject. (Though admittedly this could be because of Dave Norry interviewing style where non-sequiturs and lines of thought are blurred.)

Robert

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 05, 2015, 11:57:22 AMIn sci-fi, aliens for decades were monstrous destroyers.
With the notable exception of Superman.

onan

Quote from: Robert on July 05, 2015, 11:37:11 PM
With the notable exception of Superman.

Sadly, the only thing the recent Superman is destroying is the franchise.

ziznak

Quote from: onan on July 06, 2015, 04:09:04 AM
Sadly, the only thing the recent Superman is destroying is the franchise.
yeah superman is definitely not DC's answer to "the avengers" and pretty much anything marvel they make a movie out of.  they have some floppers to tho

henge0stone

Quote from: analog kid on July 03, 2015, 05:47:14 AM
Mysterious Universe used to be great for that. They have an archive of shows that are worthwhile, but the full shows are behind a paywall.

I was close to buying the first season, but once I learned the music was edited out I decided not to. The music is half of what makes the show.