• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

hope this isn't morbid

Started by Queen, April 28, 2008, 10:50:33 PM

Queen

I was wondering if on the stream u have going, if u have the really hard shows of art bell to listen to?  Like the the show where he told us about his son and all the problems and why he's retiering, and even the show when he first came on the air after romona died.  I dont want to degrade the events in his life by calling them classic shows but in a sence they are.  Just wondering.

Queen

and even the 9/11 show, the radio station here went to full wall to wall coverage that day so art wasn't on.

MV/Liberace!

believe me... those most definitely can be categorized as classic shows.  i know i do have the actual announcement where art suddenly left the show for the first time as he was signing off, and it's running in rotation among all the shows.  as for the entire show leading up to that announcement, if you can get me the date of that show (which is surely easy to do) i'll look.  the first show after ramona's death, yes that is in the rotation as well.  also in rotation is the 9/11/01 show which aired on the evening of 9/11.   WHAT A KILLER SHOW THAT WAS!! 

EvB

Quote from: admin on April 28, 2008, 11:12:09 PM
  also in rotation is the 9/11/01 show which aired on the evening of 9/11.   WHAT A KILLER SHOW THAT WAS!! 

I'd love to hear at least some of that show.  At the time, I wasn't into c2c and was dealing with the fact that my then 15 year old son - who was on his way back from Hong Kong and alone on the plane - was brought down in Vancouver BC (we live in Massachusetts - I expected him at Logan) and neither of his Pacific North-West cousins could get over the border to get him for three days. So - as you can imagine - even if I HAD been a c2c fan at the time - I would likely not have been listening!

Queen

this is from wikipedia, these are the shows im talking about also the 9/11 show. hopes this helps.

Retirement: His first retirement, highly unexpected, was announced on October 13, 1998. Bell: I told you that there was an event, a threatening terrible event occurred to my family, which I could not tell you about. Because of that event, and a succession of other events, what you're listening to right now is my final broadcast on the air.

Return: He returned on October 28, 1998, leading many to believe it was merely a publicity stunt. Bell asserted that the brief departure was brought on by threats made against his family. On May 29, 1999, Art Bell explained that this retirement was due to an allegation made by hosts of WWCR shortwave radio that Bell had paid to cover up a criminal indictment. (Announcement date from "The Washington Post" 5-29-99, where Bell's show was said to be on 460 stations.)
The actual facts of the matter became public knowledge with Art Bell's second retirement in 2000, when it was revealed that an actual criminal indictment was filed against a person who had assaulted a member of Bell's family. Due to the nature of the crime, Bell had wanted to keep the matter private. The hosts at WWCR shortwave radio had accused Bell of the crime. (Bell took legal action against the hosts and stations, which was settled in 2000.[11])
Retirement: On April 1, 2000, Bell once again announced to his audience his retirement, which would occur on April 26, 2000 (that from "The Washington Post" 4-1-00), but he offered no details other than expressing intentions to "resolve a family crisis." On April 11, 2000, Mike Siegel was introduced as the new host of Coast To Coast AM. On April 27, 2000, Siegel took over the program which at the this time had an estimated 22 million listeners. (That from "The Seattle Times" 4-12-00.) It was later explained he had left to deal with the aftermath of a sexual assault against his son. Brian Lepley, a substitute teacher, was convicted of sexual assault and attempted transmission of HIV and was sentenced to 10 to 25 years.[12]

Return: On January 24, 2001, it was announced (in Vancouver, Washington's "The Columbian" newspaper), Art Bell would return to Coast To Coast AM on February 5, 2001. Bell noted that since his departure the show had lost a number of affiliates, commercial content had risen to an unbearable level, and Siegel had taken the program in a "different direction" of which Bell disapproved. He retained some authority over the program as its creator and thus felt his return was necessary.

Retirement: On April 1, 2000, Bell once again announced to his audience his retirement, which would occur on April 26, 2000 (that from "The Washington Post" 4-1-00), but he offered no details other than expressing intentions to "resolve a family crisis." On April 11, 2000, Mike Siegel was introduced as the new host of Coast To Coast AM. On April 27, 2000, Siegel took over the program which at the this time had an estimated 22 million listeners. (That from "The Seattle Times" 4-12-00.) It was later explained he had left to deal with the aftermath of a sexual assault against his son. Brian Lepley, a substitute teacher, was convicted of sexual assault and attempted transmission of HIV and was sentenced to 10 to 25 years.[12]

Return: On January 24, 2001, it was announced (in Vancouver, Washington's "The Columbian" newspaper), Art Bell would return to Coast To Coast AM on February 5, 2001. Bell noted that since his departure the show had lost a number of affiliates, commercial content had risen to an unbearable level, and Siegel had taken the program in a "different direction" of which Bell disapproved. He retained some authority over the program as its creator and thus felt his return was necessary.

EvB

Quote from: NIN on April 29, 2008, 10:35:49 AM

He must be sick of that battle - or he'd never have allowed GEORGE!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on April 29, 2008, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: NIN on April 29, 2008, 10:35:49 AM

He must be sick of that battle - or he'd never have allowed GEORGE!
haha... i wrote 90% of that portion of the wikipedia article a couple years ago.  i had forgotten i did that.  i'm surprised it hasn't been changed in some way since then.  by the way, NIN... check your private messages.

Queen

hey admin,

i tried to reply to ur private message but it says u have me blocked LOL.
i must have been bad LOL.

anyway hears my reply

cool thanks man.  I was acatully going to ask if u had them if u could set up a time and date to play them so we could all hear them, but that would be cool too. thanks man.

MV/Liberace!

no prob.  i'll get u taken care of.  stand by.................

MV/Liberace!

by the way... i fixed the problem preventing users from sending me private messages.  sorry bout that.

Jesus Christ

I remember all of that. Art was stellar.

Jesus Christ

So cool he's back.  The great word morbid caught my eye.  Can't wait fit the new UFO shows with Art.  He will have a lot to say.

Scully

The word morbid caught my eye, too.   :(

DanTSX

He is human.  A lot of this probably hurts and a lot of it probably helps him to talk about it publicly.

None of us know the "real" Art, but the brief glimpses into the biggest ups and downs of his life are part of his humanity and part of the relationship we have as listeners.  I don't know if it's morbid per se, as our interpretation would depend on some of our own experiences in life.