• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

LinkedIn Big Brother Question

Started by fromwomewhere outthere, February 11, 2015, 01:22:57 AM

So me and wifey poo bought a lot to build a retirement house on in Idaho. We live in California now. I use LinkedIn as a business tool and I am very active on it. We bought the piece of property in June and when I opened my Outlook at work this morning I get an email from LinkedIn asking me if I would like to change my residence location to Boise?

Does anyone know how this can happen? I know the purchase of property is public record, but really?

I am sort of steamed about it.

pate

Outlook is Microsoft.  I think it is pretty safe to say that MS like Google (Hotmail vs gmail) scans your e-mails for content to direct advertising towards you, and I am sure LinkedIn has their fingers in the same pie...

I am not sure however that MS does this with their Outlook service, wouldn't surprise me...

Perhaps just by virtue of your internet connection they figured it out (I think if you don't mask it) your IP can be pretty much traced to your current location.

Beware the robots!  They are getting more stronger...

onan

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on February 11, 2015, 01:22:57 AM
So me and wifey poo bought a lot to build a retirement house on in Idaho. We live in California now. I use LinkedIn as a business tool and I am very active on it. We bought the piece of property in June and when I opened my Outlook at work this morning I get an email from LinkedIn asking me if I would like to change my residence location to Boise?

Does anyone know how this can happen? I know the purchase of property is public record, but really?

Wait until building permits are on record...

Marc.Knight

I deleted my LinkedIn account after finding out that they collect your "contacts" and then package and sell that information to any organization that wants to query your contacts to find out information about YOU.  Your contacts can be sold by LinkedIn to prospective employers, credit bureaus, or any organization that wants to get information about you from your contacts.  [They also sell access to your information to recruiters and salespeople]

Juan

If you're not paying, you're the product, not the customer.

Daggit

Daggit

Were you physically in Boise when you last logged in to Linkedin? I travel a fair bit for work and the google advertisements always know where I am.

I'm getting ready to head north too.

jazmunda

I love LinkedIn. I never use it but apparently according to people I barely know I have been endorsed as an expert for skills I really don't have such as Negotiation, Strategic Planning & Risk Management. I'm holding out for World's Best Lover.

Quote from: Marc.Knight on February 11, 2015, 08:48:08 AM
I deleted my LinkedIn account after finding out that they collect your "contacts" and then package and sell that information to any organization that wants to query your contacts to find out information about YOU.  Your contacts can be sold by LinkedIn to prospective employers, credit bureaus, or any organization that wants to get information about you from your contacts.  [They also sell access to your information to recruiters and salespeople]
That reminds me, there is a class action lawsuit about this happening right now. I think the deadline for filing is Dec 14. Search it out, you might be eligible. 

Quote from: jazmunda on February 14, 2015, 02:42:54 PM
I love LinkedIn. I never use it but apparently according to people I barely know I have been endorsed as an expert for skills I really don't have such as Negotiation, Strategic Planning & Risk Management. I'm holding out for World's Best Lover.
Bwaah ha ha ha  - LMAO
JAZ - You Da  Man !      ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 12, 2015, 07:56:13 PM
That reminds me, there is a class action lawsuit about this happening right now. I think the deadline for filing is Dec 14. Search it out, you might be eligible.
Don't tell Falkie

ItsOver

It can't be too good.  Where's "Destroyer of Worlds?"

jazmunda

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 12, 2015, 07:58:05 PM
Bwaah ha ha ha  - LMAO
JAZ - You Da  Man !      ;)

Thank you. I'm happy that my comedic skills from Feb 2015 still hold up in Oct 2015. ;)

Perhaps someone on LinkedIn can endorse my attempts at comedy.  :P

Still have not been endorsed as World's Best Lover. The fix is in.

GravitySucks

Quote from: jazmunda on October 12, 2015, 08:44:14 PM
Thank you. I'm happy that my comedic skills from Feb 2015 still hold up in Oct 2015. ;)

Perhaps someone on LinkedIn can endorse my attempts at comedy.  :P

Still have not been endorsed as World's Best Lover. The fix is in.
That's because Olivia Newton-John doesn't use LinkedIn.

DanTSX

I don't kiss and tell babe. :-*

WOTR

Quote from: Juan on February 11, 2015, 11:25:01 AM
If you're not paying, you're the product, not the customer.
This is always something to keep in mind...