• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

David Paulides Missing 411

Started by goldendeal, January 22, 2015, 10:38:00 PM

Quote from: Gd5150 on March 23, 2015, 02:35:52 PM
If people want to hate Paulides for whatever reason thats fine, but why are you here? There is more evidence in the missing 411 cases, than UFO's, Area 51, Bigfoot, Mel's Hole combined. You clearly aren't an Art Bell/Coast to Coast fan. The entire 20+ years show is based on unsolved mysteries and speculation. And if its all BS don't you think Knapp would see through it? Or is he a liar too? Which again if you believe that why are you here? For Noory and the Numbers lady?

Makes no diff if people like the missing persons topic or not, but if not you're clearly you're listening to the wrong program.

Knapp's also had some strange experiences of his own on the skinwalker ranch. There's an interview with him on youtube that's good and creepy, raise the hair on the back of your neck stuff. He mentioned the cluster areas of these disappearances, and it would be interesting if one of these areas was near the ranch.

To me anyway, Paulides is what C2C always was about before the likes of the shills and outright charlatans took over: as you said, unsolved mysteries and speculation. Those are the things that capture the imagination more than the idiotic gloom and doom of an Ed Dames, to name one. I'll take Paulides and Graham Hancock over a lot of Noory's guests.

Juan Cena

If people want to hate Paulides for whatever reason thats fine, but why are you here? There is more evidence in the missing 411 cases, than UFO's, Area 51, Bigfoot, Mel's Hole combined. You clearly aren't an Art Bell/Coast to Coast fan. The entire 20+ years show is based on unsolved mysteries and speculation. And if its all BS don't you think Knapp would see through it? Or is he a liar too? Which again if you believe that why are you here? For Noory and the Numbers lady?

Makes no diff if people like the missing persons topic or not, but if not you're clearly you're listening to the wrong program.

It's because Paulides seems less interested in finding the solution than he is pimping the "conspiracy" angle.

I called in last night and asked Paulides point blank if he had discussed the issue of the unsolved missing persons cases and mysterious deaths in our national parks with anyone in Congress (Which authorizes the funding of the Parks Service). He said he hadn't, then started in with the usual conspiracy spank line that it wouldn't matter because "They" don't want us to know everything.

This was despite Knapp asking Paulides if he'd like C2C listeners to get involved in writing their Congressmen about the missing person's cases.

Paulides was interesting at first, but is now slipping down to RCH and Ed Dames levels.

George Knapp and the I-Team covered Paulides back in 2012. And apparently there's recent strange disappearances around the Vegas area:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/18150329/i-team

Nah, it's a fascinating topic.  Paulides smells like a con-man though.  The odor is apparent all the way over here.  It's in his style and scam artistesque verbal techniques.  I've heard them elsewhere.  I'm not saying his stories don't have a basis in truth, but being interested in fringe topics doesn't mean you have to be a sucker for everyone who wants to sell a book.  And talking about big foot, you should check Paulides' other area of 'expertise.'

Different strokes for different folks my friend. I think he tells a good story but other may not. I think he expects too much from a over worked park ranger department. But he tells a good story and I can enjoy his shows for that reason alone. I can suspend disbelief or reason and also enjoy Alien shows.

Some people may not like him but enjoy a more far fetched story. Nothing wrong with that. I take nothing on C2C as really factual but enjoy good stories.

I never cease to be amazed by posters that -- with great indignation -- accuse a guest of Coast to Coast AM of  having the nerve to sell their books. How DARE he try to make a living! 8)

Write an honest book; make an honest living.  Maybe Paulides is honest.  My experience and critical listening skills suggest to me he isn't.  I believe that was the point explicitly stated in my previous post.

b_dubb

He changes and omits details to craft a narrative. The point has been made that it is not the job of the U.S. Forest Service and the National Parks are not charged with finding missing people.  That's law enforcement.

Juan Cena

Quote from: b_dubb on March 24, 2015, 07:18:31 AM
He changes and omits details to craft a narrative. The point has been made that it is not the job of the U.S. Forest Service and the National Parks are not charged with finding missing people.  That's law enforcement.

That's what I tried to explain when I called Sunday night. Paulides ignores the fact that the Nat. Parks Service isn't empowered nor equipped to handle these kind of cases. It would probably take an act of Congress to fix that.

The fact that he balked when I asked if he had contacted any members of Congress to look into this, then double-balked when Knapp asked Paulides if he wanted Coast listeners to contact their Congressmen just proved to me that he wasn't as sincere about solving this "mystery" as he tries to play like he does.

goldendeal

I was a little disappointed in Paulides appearance on Coast this time. It was still good, but it seemed it took forever for Knapp to get to the actual cases, I think it was all rehash "how did you get into this"?  questions for almost two compete segments before any new cases were discussed... Note to Knapp; David Paulides  has been on Coast more than a few times and most of us are familiar with him and his 411 cases, its fine to touch on the history of Paulides for those who don't know who he is yet,  but after one segment let’s move on to new cases...please don't pull a Jorch and ask 1000s questions on "how did you get into this"?

George49

This is certainly a mystery. And after hearing the clues such as the pants around the kid's ankles or shoes not on the subjects feet. It looks more like its aliens that pick up these people, do their experiments and then drop them back to the area they were reported missing.

Gd5150

Quote from: goldendeal on March 25, 2015, 03:07:26 AM
I was a little disappointed in Paulides appearance on Coast this time. It was still good, but it seemed it took forever for Knapp to get to the actual cases, I think it was all rehash "how did you get into this"?  questions for almost two compete segments before any new cases were discussed... Note to Knapp; David Paulides  has been on Coast more than a few times and most of us are familiar with him and his 411 cases, its fine to touch on the history of Paulides for those who don't know who he is yet,  but after one segment let’s move on to new cases...please don't pull a Jorch and ask 1000s questions on "how did you get into this"?

Haha that was his 1st question and I was totally thinking wow this is so not a Knapp question. Listen to his opening too, he sounded depressed. He always does his opening the exact same, with passion and excitement. Not last Sunday, he sounded down. Was probably handed the dreaded "recipe box of questions" 5min before going on air.

They should just do 4 hours of Paulides telling each account in his books. There are 100's in each book. "Over 1400 cases now". A little Paulides embellishment with some cacophony of conversation, and thats just good radio.

goldendeal

Gd5150, you are so right but I didn't think anyone else would notice. Paulides not only sounded a bit down but also a little grumpy as well. Perhaps he had a bad day, (possibly someone on his list was found??)   Whatever the case, he wasn't his usual upbeat self, it was as if he was annoyed with the questions, it was very usually.

Juan Cena

Quote from: George49 on March 26, 2015, 02:07:17 PM
This is certainly a mystery. And after hearing the clues such as the pants around the kid's ankles or shoes not on the subjects feet. It looks more like its aliens that pick up these people, do their experiments and then drop them back to the area they were reported missing.

Because Type 2-level civilization aliens would have no idea on how to pull a kid's pants up or put people's shoes on the correct feet, right?  ???

albrecht

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 03, 2015, 10:32:09 PM
Because Type 2-level civilization aliens would have no idea on how to pull a kid's pants up or put people's shoes on the correct feet, right?  ???
Actually, maybe so. Some of our younger people can't figure out a tape-deck or record-player....or even a standard transmission in a truck or car (much less a tractor.)  It would take me, a bit, and probably some skinned knees and lots of frustration, to figure out how to plow a field- and probably some bruises if trying to harness oxen or mules.

Juan Cena

Quote from: albrecht on April 03, 2015, 10:37:28 PM
Actually, maybe so. Some of our younger people can't figure out a tape-deck or record-player....or even a standard transmission in a truck or car (much less a tractor.)  It would take me, a bit, and probably some skinned knees and lots of frustration, to figure out how to plow a field- and probably some bruises if trying to harness oxen or mules.

I'm assuming that the ET's supposedly doing these experiments aren't teenagers.

I'm also assuming they are smart enough to figure out something as simple as pulling pants up. Or how to dispose of a body.

goldendeal

That's what really stood out with the bodies recovered from Roswell, the Sansabelt and Hager slacks the aliens were wearing. None of them had their zipper up....

rob69

Quote from: goldendeal on April 02, 2015, 02:02:23 AM
Gd5150, you are so right but I didn't think anyone else would notice. Paulides not only sounded a bit down but also a little grumpy as well. Perhaps he had a bad day, (possibly someone on his list was found??)   Whatever the case, he wasn't his usual upbeat self, it was as if he was annoyed with the questions, it was very usually.

Most likely this is because more folks are waking up to his BS.  I brought him and his cherry picking up on this site back in 2012 and was poo-pooed by more than a few.  How does finding 92 people out of 408 alive and well constitute unexplained disappearances?

These are nothing more than an interesting collection of missing persons and David Paulides is CLEARLY trying to attribute the disappearances to Bigfoot. He's a big time BIGFOOT "researcher" and he's constantly and subtly implicating Bigfoot in the cases. His claim of "offering no theories" is a smokescreen.

In real research, scientists need to disclose their conflicts of interest to their overseeing agencies, because those things make a difference to conclusions. Study design and methodology is important when you want your analysis of anything to be taken seriously at all. Data does not exist in a vacuum but needs to be contextualized by how it was gathered and who analyzed it (that's another reason why, in real research, researches look for Intercoder reliability to judge that the researchers have minimized bias errors through consensus).

Data is not judged purely on its merits, it's judged on the merits of the atmosphere in which it was collected and processed. The fact that Dave Paulides is obsessed with all things Bigfoot is hugely relevant to how he has interpreted his data.

Dave would also have his audience believe that the United States Park Service is engaging in a vast cover up of biblical proportions regarding records and tracking data of missing people. The Park Service does keep records; it's just that they won't release them to HIM. Michael P. Ghiglieri and Charles R. Farabee co-wrote "OFF THE WALL, DEATH IN YOSEMITE outlining some 1300 cases of deaths, disappearances and other mishaps during that parks' existence. These accounts were gathered by utilizing coroner repots, superintendent reports and Freedom of information requests.

To articulate that the park service doesn't keep records is disingenuous and an outright LIE. A more accurate description would be that the Park Service won't give them to him. Perhaps it's because of his shady past and his known associations with all things Bigfoot.

His line about the Park Service not releasing records is his "out". They have records and certainly released them to Michael Ghiglieri and Charles Farabee when they authored Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite. Now Dave's fallback position is that Charles Farabee had an inside track to records because he's a retired Ranger from the park service. That may or may not be. His co-author Michael Ghiglieri wrote another book without Charles Farabee, Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon and didn't seem to have any issues getting records for that book.

Dave makes wild and outrageous claims without a scintilla of evidence or documents to back them up. He is relying on his "I am a retired Police Officer" spiel, and that he is the only one able to get this information without any further scrutiny. That is why his Army of salivating fans come out of the woodwork to thank him for writing this dribble. His fans fail to ask the important question.

Why has it been three years and he has utterly failed and failed miserably to garner absolutely no attention from the mainstream media, Congress or the Department of the Interior regarding his so called park services' cover up?  

I would think with this vast conspiracy Dave would at least get someone on the case.

Dave is nothing more that a conman, (starting with his autograph swerve), BIGFOOTER and previously a UFO aficionado. Nothing wrong with a hobby, but when you use the deaths and tragic disappearances of people in order to make a buck then you cross a line.

bsbishop

It always bugs me a bit when Paulides is introduced or talks about his years as a detective. The whole point of that is to give him some credibility. The problem I have with it is that just because someone says that they were a detective doesn't mean that they were a good detective. It's the same with RCH and his, "I worked at NASA.. I worked for Cronkite.." He may have sucked at both. I don't really know but the fact that it keeps getting touted makes it all seem less credible.

I do like Paulides as I think he's one of the better guests. The first night he was on with Knapp it was really captivating. As time has gone on, as others have mentioned, it's turned more into "how'd you get into this"-chat time instead of, "here are more interesting stories."

I'd say that the genius of Paulides is that he never has the reveal. There's never a moment when you think, "Oh, he's going to explain why all of these people are disappearing or even one of them." There's no speculation. He just leaves it up to your brain to stir on it. That being said, it's starting to get a little old and isn't as compelling as it once was.

Interesting to note, Dave Schrader said on his show (Darkness Radio) recently that Paulides said that he refuses to come back on unless Schrader reads all of his books, cover to cover. Dave said, "Well, that's simply not happening so Paulides won't be back. I have plenty of things on my plate and don't need to spend all of that time reading all of those books."

It struck me as a odd demand from Paulides when he's trying to sell those books and I don't get where insisting that the host read all of them helps with the storytelling.

Ultimately, as was said before, nothing will ever be learned or proven from any of this. Such is the way of all paranormal shows. Josh Gates even made a pretty good joke about that on one of his Destination Truth shows. He said something like, "Hey, do you know what we're doing today?" and one of the crew members answered back, "Going off into the jungle to search for something and come back with nothing?," and Gates responded, "Yep... Just like every other show.." (paraphrased) It made me laugh.

b_dubb

Here's why people are disappearing in the National Parks: animal attacks, accidents, human on human violence (aka murder). Drug gangs executing hikers that found their grow op. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Paulides distorts facts to create a narrative that supports a more fantastic explanation.

And that's how you sell books ladies and germs.

Quote from: b_dubb on May 23, 2015, 09:10:30 AM
Here's why people are disappearing in the National Parks: animal attacks, accidents, human on human violence (aka murder). Drug gangs executing hikers that found their grow op. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Paulides distorts facts to create a narrative that supports a more fantastic explanation.

And that's how you sell books ladies and germs.

Yes, I view it as entertainment. I find him entertaining we he has new tales to tell. He does tell the stories well.

rob69

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 23, 2015, 09:29:31 AM
Yes, I view it as entertainment. I find him entertaining we he has new tales to tell. He does tell the stories well.

Telling a story is fine and dandy, in fact I am all for it.  When you use the deaths and disappearances to sell books you cross a line.     

rob69

Quote from: b_dubb on May 23, 2015, 09:10:30 AMPaulides distorts facts to create a narrative that supports a more fantastic explanation.

b_dubb that is a colossal understatement!  In Search and Rescue circles he is considered a loon.  In the 20 plus years I have been involved in SAR, I have NEVER come across a case that was mysterious or did not correspond with the behavior of a lost person. Nor have I heard any of my contemporaries talking about strange cases. The SAR community is very small and compartmentalized and something strange or weird would travel faster than a middle school rumor.

BobGrau

Quote from: rob69 on May 24, 2015, 01:02:18 AM
Telling a story is fine and dandy, in fact I am all for it.  When you use the deaths and disappearances to sell books you cross a line.   

Is there an actual line though? How much time has to pass before a raw tragedy becomes a fascinating mystery?

I may have been one of your poopooers from last time, nice to see you again though!

rob69

Quote from: goldendeal on January 26, 2015, 12:39:45 PM

To make the accusation that Paulides is a liar would not be correct. It is well documented that the people Paulides claims are missing are in fact missing. So, if Paulides tells of the circumstances in which these people are disappearing, I don't see the lie in that. He has interviewed some of the families of those that disappeared; I don’t believe Paulides can embellish on their stories without repercussions from those families should they be so inclined.

Ah, Paulides is a liar!  Paulides omits pertinent information and facts that if included would lead the reader to conclude something else.  A lie by omission is the same as a lie by omission.  He makes the claims that he has interviewed families, but never once has he included any interview notes, information, etc.,  He makes claims of maleficence on the part of the park service without a shred of evidence to corroborate his claims.  No reproduced FOIA denials, cost approximations etc.  Taking a known conman and charlatan at his word without verifiable evidence because he says so strains credulity.  He caters to a niche element that is relegated to late night talk and YouTube.  He is hardly mainstream.  Any opposition or family member complaints/contradictions would be hard pressed to voice their abjections due to the one-sided manner of these venues.   

rob69

Quote from: BobGrau on May 24, 2015, 01:26:05 AM
Is there an actual line though? How much time has to pass before a raw tragedy becomes a fascinating mystery?

Good question.  When you sensationalize a story to fit a narrative that you (Paulides) have to sell copy then that's an issue.  He changed and omitted facts in quite a few stories to make them more "mysterious/ominous" than they were.  Butch Ferebee wrote two books about deaths and disappearances in Yosemite.  He managed to do it without sensationalizing or adding his commentary.         

Paulides parrots stories from Off the Wall.  These included his (Paulides) opinions and facts that "he" was only able to find while simultaneously omitting information that was originally included by Ferebee.   

BobGrau

Quote from: rob69 on May 24, 2015, 01:45:18 AM
Good question.  When you sensationalize a story to fit a narrative that you (Paulides) have to sell copy then that's an issue.  He changed and omitted facts in quite a few stories to make them more "mysterious/ominous" than they were.  Butch Ferebee wrote two books about deaths and disappearances in Yosemite.  He managed to do it without sensationalizing or adding his commentary.         

Paulides parrots stories from Off the Wall.  These included his (Paulides) opinions and facts that "he" was only able to find while simultaneously omitting information that was originally included by Ferebee.

You should call in to the Gabcast sometime.

ItsOver

Quote from: rob69 on May 24, 2015, 01:31:50 AM
Ah, Paulides is a liar!  Paulides omits pertinent information and facts that if included would lead the reader to conclude something else.  A lie by omission is the same as a lie by omission.  He makes the claims that he has interviewed families, but never once has he included any interview notes, information, etc.,  He makes claims of maleficence on the part of the park service without a shred of evidence to corroborate his claims.  No reproduced FOIA denials, cost approximations etc.  Taking a known conman and charlatan at his word without verifiable evidence because he says so strains credulity.  He caters to a niche element that is relegated to late night talk and YouTube.  He is hardly mainstream.  Any opposition or family member complaints/contradictions would be hard pressed to voice their abjections due to the one-sided manner of these venues.
A liar on C2C?  Gee, how could that be?  Please don't tell me Mr. Hoagland isn't an MIT scientist.

Quote from: ItsOver on May 24, 2015, 06:31:23 AM
A liar on C2C?  Gee, how could that be?  Please don't tell me Mr. Hoagland isn't an MIT scientist.

Oxford I believe.
8)