• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Latest annoying popups

Started by zeebo, May 03, 2014, 01:44:52 AM

zeebo

Anyone know how to block these new kind of popups that are showing up more and more?  My standard popup blockers don't work for these.  I think they may be some kind of javascript, but if so, disabling javascript completely doesn't seem practical anymore. 

They're annoying because they're often modal and force you to click on the X to get rid of them.  Sometimes they're delayed and popup when you're halfway through reading an article.  They seem to be showing up everywhere now.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

area51drone

I've noticed them too.  Give it a bit and I bet the ad blockers will be killing them as well

zeebo

I swear they've gotten worse just in the last few weeks.  It's like an internet virus of popup suckage.

Little Hater

My solution is to stop visiting sites that use them.

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on May 12, 2014, 01:33:44 AM
I swear they've gotten worse just in the last few weeks.  It's like an internet virus of popup suckage.

the only way they could be worse is is a clip if george noory starts playing.

zeebo

Quote from: Little Hater on May 12, 2014, 05:39:47 AM
My solution is to stop visiting sites that use them.

Yes I've been doing this as well.  Zero-tolerance policy.  Especially the awful facebook ones with thumbnails of weird people.  Insta-skip!

Birdie

These pop ups suck and drive me crazy. Plus, they try to hide the X or Close button.
Also, I keep being suddenly redirected to the App Store. It started happening about a month ago. A page will be loading, and then just before it finishes, the App store will open to some stupid game. Annoying.

zeebo

Quote from: Birdie on May 13, 2014, 08:14:41 PM
These pop ups suck and drive me crazy. Plus, they try to hide the X or Close button. ..

You're right!  I'm starting to see these ones that don't even have close buttons.

Look at this obnoxious one I just came across.  It's basically forcing you to give a thumbs up on stumbleupon.  Let us all make a pact to completely ignore sites like this!

[attachimg=1]

Jackstar

dear OP: which browser?

ducks

b_dubb

Those types of pop ups are opened in the same window as the original page and technically aren't pop ups. You might have luck reducing the number of ads if you install an ad blocker in your browser but you won't be able to eliminate them unless you turn off JavaScript in your browser

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on May 14, 2014, 09:44:21 AM
Those types of pop ups are opened in the same window as the original page and technically aren't pop ups. You might have luck reducing the number of ads if you install an ad blocker in your browser but you won't be able to eliminate them unless you turn off JavaScript in your browser

or you could make filters for it by tediously tracking down that element... and each site will be different...

Jackstar

Quote from: wr250 on May 14, 2014, 09:51:23 AM
or you could make filters for it by tediously easily tracking down that element... and each site will be different fall before the might of your technological wizardry...
http://noscript.net/

Fixed.

wr250

Quote from: Jackstar on May 14, 2014, 12:41:11 PM
http://noscript.net/

Fixed.

well now thats all fine and dandy if your using firefox or a derivative. if you use anything else, well you basically screwed.

i guess there is safescript for chrome, used to be kinda a pita. ill give it a try again.

Jackstar

Quote from: wr250 on May 14, 2014, 12:45:52 PM
well now thats all fine and dandy if your using firefox or a derivative. if you use anything else, well you basically screwed.

i guess there is safescript for chrome, used to be kinda a pita. ill give it a try again.

Quote from: Jackstar on May 14, 2014, 02:01:39 AM
dear OP: which browser?

ducks

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on May 14, 2014, 12:45:52 PM
well now thats all fine and dandy if your using firefox or a derivative. ...

I'm not so sure.  So many sites nowadays depend on javascript that I'm not sure it's practical to run without it globally, and dealing with it on a site-by-site basis seems like a hassle if you just want to browse freely.   :(

zeebo

I changed my mind - I can't take it anymore.  Gonna try NoScript.  Will report back.

Jackstar

I've found it oftentimes highly interesting, what high-profile websites, that rely on JavaScript, look like, once their toy is turned off.

One click re-enables all scripting on a site, or individual elements can be blocked permanently. The hassle is minimal, and the mental health savings are dramatic.

Typically, if I wish to use a website that really needs scripting, I'll just use Chrome. There are not that many web applications I wish to make use of, to make that inconvenient.

zeebo

Quote from: zeebo on May 14, 2014, 03:43:53 PM
I changed my mind - I can't take it anymore.  Gonna try NoScript.  Will report back.

Ok tried NoScript.  It works great to block those loathsome javascript popups.  However, blocking scripts just breaks too many sites nowadays.  Yes NoScript is great in that it gives you very granular control on a site-by-site basis but it's too much of a hassle for me.  Either way, it seems my internet's broken now.   :'( 

I have been using SeaMonkey for email and browser ,It is a sub 'species' of Firefox and Thunderbird. . When I open sites an want to subscribe or  sign in I have to search for the 'box' as it does not appear and I have to scroll down the pages to find the spot(arrow to hand). I do not know if I can be not receiving HTML or what as I seem to be unable to find such a 'tool' choice.
I am using either Start Page, Ixquick US ,Ixquick UK, or DuckDuck on my browsers (Exporer,SeaMonkey,Thunderbird,Opera,Comodo(Chrome))
I did not have this peculiar half empty page before I switched to a W/8.1'puter.Even in Explorer I do not see all of a page in the same manner as before on W/7.

WildCard

Rules for Happiness: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for. - Immanuel Kant 

I Agree
I Disagree
-------------
We think so, too! Enter your e-mail address below.

eddie dean

So annoying! When one pops up without a 'close' or 'X' option, I consider it a sign from the internet gods that I'm not meant to visit the site. I hit the back button and return to the previous page. I don't need that kind of aggravation. Fuck em!

analog kid

Noscript is a pain in the ass. Chrome has the extension BehindTheOverlay, but you're still doing a lot of clicking to get rid of them.

zeebo

I swear they're getting worse.  Popping up friggin everywhere.  I hate them.  Please make it stop.

[attachimg=1]

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on August 22, 2014, 01:24:49 AM
I swear they're getting worse.  Popping up friggin everywhere.  I hate them.  Please make it stop.

[attachimg=1]
I was starting to think it was just me.  I avoid social sites and am not at most popular sites, but these things are popping in in the most unexpected and obscure places.  I have taken to just closing the entire window.  Hopefully if enough people do not click on their stupid thing and just leave the site completely they will get the hint. 

Mind you, millions have turned their radios off in frustration and Noory still invades the air waves.  This could be a battle that is already lost.

albrecht

Some guy keeps popping up ads about making money and, of course, launches a video (or tries since I disabled flash) and Firefox asks you "are you sure you want to leave this page" when you try to close it. Same guy, I think, has ads about everything 123: like: What FEMA doesn't want you to know? Go to FEMAsecrets123, what banks don't want you to know? Go to Banksecret123.com. He has pop ups also that don't seem to be blocked by Firefox.

zeebo

Quote from: wotr1 on September 04, 2014, 04:09:06 AM
I was starting to think it was just me.  I avoid social sites and am not at most popular sites, but these things are popping in in the most unexpected and obscure places...

You're not imagining it.  Now I'm being harrassed by a friggin monkey named Timmy.

[attachimg=1]

zeebo

New development ... friggin auto-play videos.

[attachimg=1]

WOTR

I keep thinking that these tactics must work.  I like getting the pop up asking if I am sure that I want to leave the page after I go to close it.  No, it was an honest mistake- my mouse was just hovering over the "X" and I accidentally clicked it.

But somebody, somewhere is filling in their email address to get news from Timmy the monkey.  Somebody, somewhere clicks to stay on the page.

I wonder if the next generation will just cut down on their use of the net or if they will adapt to this stupidity.

wr250

Quote from: wotr1 on September 18, 2014, 11:46:58 PM
I keep thinking that these tactics must work.  I like getting the pop up asking if I am sure that I want to leave the page after I go to close it.  No, it was an honest mistake- my mouse was just hovering over the "X" and I accidentally clicked it.

But somebody, somewhere is filling in their email address to get news from Timmy the monkey.  Somebody, somewhere clicks to stay on the page.

I wonder if the next generation will just cut down on their use of the net or if they will adapt to this stupidity.
they will adapt. thanks to GW bush and no child left behind, each year skrools graduate moar illiterate children.

b_dubb

THere's a tendency to over develop and over engineer.  Developers want to include every piece of tech.  Every new tech fashion that comes along.  They load pages with so much noise that they become barely usable.  They think this will force you into their income generation model or whatever.  What they fail to consider is that people will only put up with so much before they say fuck it.  Zuckerberg thought he was going to make me install Messages/Messenger for FB.  Wrong.  I uninstalled my regular FB app and now only occasionally use Facebook on my phone through my browser.