• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How am I going to record 24?

Started by Juan, February 08, 2014, 04:40:07 PM

Juan

OK, Chloe is coming back, Goth hair, all leather, bright red Docs and neck tats.  I will probably miss it some nights - how will I be able to record it?
I have no cable and no satellite.  I get more than enough TV from my 23-free over-the-air channels.  It would appear that all the DVR's require one to pay a monthly fee.  I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a recorder then pay the bastards a fee for free TV.

Any suggestions?  I guess I could dig out my old DVD recorder and see if they still make DVD-RW discs.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Juan on February 08, 2014, 04:40:07 PM
OK, Chloe is coming back, Goth hair, all leather, bright red Docs and neck tats.  I will probably miss it some nights - how will I be able to record it?
I have no cable and no satellite.  I get more than enough TV from my 23-free over-the-air channels.  It would appear that all the DVR's require one to pay a monthly fee.  I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a recorder then pay the bastards a fee for free TV.

Any suggestions?  I guess I could dig out my old DVD recorder and see if they still make DVD-RW discs.

download it from the pirate bay.

Quote from: Juan on February 08, 2014, 04:40:07 PM

I still use a DVD recorder for over-the-air TV.

MV/Liberace!

i forgot to add:  most tv shows that appear on the pirate bay are listed there within hours of airing.

onan

Quote from: MV on February 08, 2014, 04:41:15 PM
download it from the pirate bay.

That is how I watch all TV shows. There is a site called EZTV.it, but it seems to be less reliable as of late.

Morgus

I got a cheap WinTV TV video tuner/capture device for my PC.
With an antenna I can pick up all the local free over-the-air digital/HD channels and record them for computer playback.
The new 24 mini-season will air on Fox in a few months and its available free over-the-air.

area51drone

Buy yourself a cheap used Tivo HD with Lifetime so you never have this problem again ($200-$250), or I'm sure there are other DVR options out there that don't require a subscription.   If you're willing to watch on a PC, you can use a WinTV USB tuner stick similar to what  Morgus is talking about along with your computer and NextPVR, which is free.  Used OTA tuner sticks cost about $50  Of course, then there is what MV suggested, or tubeplus or icefilms or usenet, or a whole host of other places you can get the stuff online.

Thrift store VCR. $10. Throw it away when 24 is over.

Bart Ell

XBMC, either on your device or with an android tv box.
I have an android tv box for every tv. No monthly fee and all the movies, tv shows, music, sports and live tv you can handle.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 09, 2014, 08:42:17 AM
Thrift store VCR. $10. Throw it away when 24 is over.

hahaha too fuckin funny :DD Too bad the eztv.it is not in service anymore, that sounded like a good option :(

onan

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on February 09, 2014, 02:42:46 PM
hahaha too fuckin funny :DD Too bad the eztv.it is not in service anymore, that sounded like a good option :(

I used EZTV.it a few days ago... not sure what is up.

albrecht

If you intend to keep it or share with others I would not suggest the set-top-box recorder (DVR, on-demand, etc) offered with some cable/sat companies. I'm told those can be accessed and/or erased by the owners (you lease the box.) Not sure how TiVO handles and what proprietary or access the companies have there. But digital and online, to me, equals insecure. An old VCR as suggested is ideal and perfectly legal. Or torrent it and then burn to a dvd or put on a flash drive etc, though there the legality is questionable in some jurisdictions.

gringomisio

Quote from: MV on February 08, 2014, 05:16:05 PM
i forgot to add:  most tv shows that appear on the pirate bay are listed there within hours of airing.

The more popular shows pop up about 15 minutes after airing (end of show)!  The commercials are even cut out from what ive been told.

Juan

The trouble with old VCRs is that they don't have a tuner capable of receiving the modern digital channels.  There would have to be a converter box.  I suppose those are still out there.
Thanks, guys.

eddie dean

Quote from: Juan on February 10, 2014, 07:35:07 PM
The trouble with old VCRs is that they don't have a tuner capable of receiving the modern digital channels.  There would have to be a converter box.  I suppose those are still out there.
Thanks, guys.

You should be able to setup the VCR to start auto-recording at the correct time. Plug the RCA out on the cable box to the Aux input RCA connections on the vcr. Leave the cable box on and tuned to the station 24 broadcasts from. Just make sure the vcr records the signal from your Aux inputs.

onan

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on February 09, 2014, 02:42:46 PM

still up

https://eztv-proxy.net/showlist/

Juan

Quote from: eddie dean on February 10, 2014, 10:14:41 PM
Plug the RCA out on the cable box t
There's no cable box.  If there were there would be no problem.  I'm too cheap for a cable box.
I'll look into Onan's solution.