• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20131029 - Paul Gunter - Fukushima

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 29, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

midnight

As the world we live in quickens
Are we heeding all the signs?
Have we lost our intuition?
Are we running out of time?

Thanks Art for another great show.  It's so good to have you back.

WhiteCrow

Looks like Art is destined to repeat the past, by inviting back John McAfee.
Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Wacky McAee, like he did with the reverse speech Loony.

Up All Night

Quote from: WhiteCrow on October 30, 2013, 12:21:52 AM
Looks like Art is destined to repeat the past, by inviting back John McAfee.
Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Wacky McAee, like he did with the reverse speech Loony.

I enjoyed listening to John McAfee speak. Good Radio ! ! ! !

jazmunda

Quote from: eddie dean on October 29, 2013, 11:46:16 PM
+1
Fukushima is an important  topic, but I am tired of it tonight.

A TMI tangent & I promise to be brief.
I have had a total of 1 hour sleep since Monday night. I've  had a horrible tooth ache since Saturday night. My brain is fuzzy due to lack of sleep and I can't even safely operate a toothbrush, let alone follow this thread & try to share funny and intelligent posts.
I have a root canal in the morning, yeah, i know, its gonna suck ass   :'( :'( :'(
Good night everybody.
Prey for Molar #3! "Chompy" as I call him  :)
PS. ekdjf ljsi jd jdikeo bhxdnjue ujdie ujdui

Good luck brother.

Ask for the good stuff to help you go nigh nigh.

See you on the other side.

Art

Quote from: eddie dean on October 29, 2013, 09:42:11 PM... It shouldn't be a big deal to curse on air every once in awhile, IMHO.

Thank God Indie 104 is an XL channel, to paraphrase O&A.   :)

Quote from: zeebo on October 29, 2013, 10:35:38 PMI wanna get back to some mofo aliens, ghosts, and/or bigfeet.  But hope you and others are enjoying the show.

Exactly.  It's two nights before Halloween!  Nuclear facilities will still be a threat to kill us all in horrific ways next week.   Art surely must have a rolodex full of people who pretend to be witches, draculas, and werewolves!   :P

area51drone

McAfee was a treat, this Gunter guy sounds like he has knowledge but is a terrible speaker.   I'm also not sure yet (about 20 minutes into his interview), what he thinks of all this.   Even Art just said "I don't know what we're discussing."     Karam was much much better IMO, at least so far.   This guy just keeps spewing stuff most of us already know.    This is a topic I am very interested in,    considering I am in Washington State and I'm concerned about my kids future.  Definitely would like to hear a debate between the two of them.

Falkie2013

For what it is worth, I always have thought its idiotic to put any nuclear reactor in a fault zone particularly one that is doubly potentially affected by a tsunami.

Japan is subject to both and I suppose money was the only consideration here. Not the safety of the people of Japan and now the world.
TEPCO managed to get itself off the hook for liabilty in case of an accident. I wonder what their current officials would do if all of Japan had to be evacuated. Would an enraged populace storm their offices and kill all the officials ?
And Japan thought Godzilla was a danger in all those movies ?
The real war is far more dangerous it seems, though I love the BIG G and am awaiting the next movie that's supposed to come out in 2014.
If there's a Japan left to produce it.
My gf loves Pokemon and wants to go to Japan to the Pokemon Center one day.
Now she's afraid she'll glow in the dark or die if she does.

Jackstar

Quote from: Falkie2013 on October 30, 2013, 07:49:56 AM
Well, just makes sure she can vote, we'll all be better off.

MV/Liberace!

the premiere episode of the gabcast is posted here.  sorry it took so long to post it.  ufoship.com is a wordpress site, and the administrative back end was broken so i couldn't submit the post.  curtis fixed it last night, so all is now fine.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Falkie2013 on October 30, 2013, 07:49:56 AM
For what it is worth, I always have thought its idiotic to put any nuclear reactor in a fault zone particularly one that is doubly potentially affected by a tsunami.

Japan is subject to both and I suppose money was the only consideration here. Not the safety of the people of Japan and now the world.
TEPCO managed to get itself off the hook for liabilty in case of an accident. I wonder what their current officials would do if all of Japan had to be evacuated. Would an enraged populace storm their offices and kill all the officials ?
And Japan thought Godzilla was a danger in all those movies ?
The real war is far more dangerous it seems, though I love the BIG G and am awaiting the next movie that's supposed to come out in 2014.
If there's a Japan left to produce it.

There is some evidence that building heavy structures like dams and nuclear plants actually cause earthquakes underneath them.  Quakes have been noted under such areas that never before had happened.

Did I miss something?  Did Paul mention why these GE plants store their waste on top of them, where they can easily be bombed (by a Cesna, I think he said).

I know some of you use your car radios.  When you were having some problems that Art was mentioning, I never had any.  I have a Sirius XM home radio.  Once I did have a problem and just went to listening on my computer (a service that comes with the home radio deal).  Last night my system went down about 5 times during the first ten minutes of the show.  I switched to the computer and that started blanking out on me.  Then the message came with the horrible music and everything was down. 

At some point do the car radio, home radio, and computer get different signals?  Well, my computer is through Comcast, so I guess that's true.

Yes.  Initially it seemed that Paul could not hold on to a topic long enough to answer a question dead on.  Thankfully Art realized that the guy was not being evasive, but just thought differently and was patient with him.  I think Art lost patience with Tim Good too quickly and was afraid he'd do the same here. 

The difference may be that Good kept plugging his book and Paul did not until the very end.  Maybe the guests should be told that they are there primarily for an interview and not to mention the book so much?     

widespread1

Quote from: MV on October 30, 2013, 10:54:15 AM
the premiere episode of the gabcast is posted here.  sorry it took so long to post it.  ufoship.com is a wordpress site, and the administrative back end was broken so i couldn't submit the post.  curtis fixed it last night, so all is now fine.

Enjoyed it. :)
I thought I was the only one who said Batshit Crazy.
MV you make a great Host man.

Afixer

Thanks Art... great show! This is too real! We can only fantasize about the paranormal ... but nuclear plants are the real deal.  Kept under control they are life savers. Out of control they are life enders. You are 'The Man" Art. A lone voice crying out in the wilderness. For what it's worth my Brother ... please keep on keeping on. Peace to you and yours. Afixer

Foodlion

Quote from: MV on October 29, 2013, 08:01:33 PM
oh, and thanks, foodlion.

NP, he added McAfee on me, but I try when I can :P

jblank

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on October 29, 2013, 10:52:02 PM
Contrast Gunter with Karam and man, the difference in message is mindblowing. I'm glad Art had him on after that misinformed shill had his say.

That "misinformed shill" knows more about Nuclear Power than you ever will and I for one found him to be quite truthful, and not full of "OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" hysterics, like Mr. Gunter. If you think Mr. Gunter is an unbiased source of information, or more knowledgeable on the subject than Mr. Karam, then you're wrong and I would suggest that you take some time to do some Internet searches and learn as much information about the subject as possible.

That said, I enjoyed this show and Mr. Gunter was fun to listen to and I don't doubt his concern, I just think he is over the top against Nuclear Power.

CornyCrow

Yeah, which is why entire countries are refusing to build new nuclear plants and Germany is actually disbanding hers.  I guess they are all as misinformed as Mr. Gunter is?   I suppose all their scientists are in the pockets of big business - whoops, I forgot, that's the other side, isn't it? 

jblank

Quote from: CornyCrow on October 31, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
Yeah, which is why entire countries are refusing to build new nuclear plants and Germany is actually disbanding hers.  I guess they are all as misinformed as Mr. Gunter is?   I suppose all their scientists are in the pockets of big business - whoops, I forgot, that's the other side, isn't it?

Wanna know why they are stopping the construction? It's because of the public being ignorant of the subject and being intolerant of believing anything that is "Pro-Nuclear". It has nothing to do with scientists, it has everything to do with a radicalized anti-Nuclear movement, that began in the '80's and has been very successful at demonizing the industry. They ignore the benefits of Nuclear Energy, such as cheap power, clean power with zero Co2 emissions, and the ability to scale the power to accommodate future demand, and are instead content to let their governments, who are for the most part of the same political leaning as the anti-Nuclear activists, dictate what is "good" for them.

I'm not naïve, I know of the dangers and have lived through Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and now Fukushima, but the facts are that when you take into account the "Big 3"of accidents, as Dr. Karam stated, there hasn't been nearly the danger or deaths, directly from the incidents, that people probably think there has. Look at the future without Nuclear Power and it's a LOT more Coal plants, which has a global effect on the planet, through Co2 emissions and produces far less power, at higher cost.

You can't have it both ways folks and I think that Nuclear Power can be done in a much safer way than it is right now, and produce far less effects. If anything, we need to be moving TOWARDS Nuclear, not away from it.

CornyCrow

Maybe if we get breeder reactors, this will be do-able.  THere is no way that we can just have tons upon tons upon tons of spent fuel buried around subject to the vicissitudes of a changing planet - changes that are unpredictable and not understood. 

And those in charge know that they should be taking every precaution for public safety and it is obvious that they cannot be trusted to do so.  Now, Art has mentioned that Japan has this new official secrets act to put a damper on what reaches the press.  Is that the sort of reaction that a government should be taking?  Of course not.  Does it build trust?  Of course not.

If those in charge cannot be trusted, what is the public to do?  Just sit back and be raped?  I think not.

jblank

No, you demand accountability and stop electing people that rubber stamp things because of political donations or cronyism. If we'd get corporate donations out of politics and make it so that no company can contribute to a PAC or candidate any more than a citizen can, then you and I are just as important as GE is to the Democratic Party. I'm a Republican, I have no inherent hatred towards companies and people making money, but until we remove companies influence over politicians, then we don't get the accountability and oversight that we should demand.

The spent fuel solutions are actually good ones. Burying it in the deep part of the mountains, in geologically stable areas, is a viable solution. There are pro's and con's with every type of power production, but at this time of needing power to not only be plentiful, but cheap, and responsible to climate change possibilities, Nuclear fits the bill.

Quote from: CornyCrow on October 31, 2013, 12:14:16 PM

And those in charge know that they should be taking every precaution for public safety and it is obvious that they cannot be trusted to do so.  Now, Art has mentioned that Japan has this new official secrets act to put a damper on what reaches the press.  Is that the sort of reaction that a government should be taking?  Of course not.  Does it build trust?  Of course not.

The problem is that there is just too much money in taking shortcuts.

CornyCrow

I don't like nuclear power.  It's too dangerous.  Most of the disasters, though, seem to happen because of poor planning.  We just cannot trust the people who are supposed to protect the public, can we? 

Those in power in Japan evidently do not merit trust either. 

Maybe some other countries do it better.  Maybe some other governments take the concept of 'public good' more seriously.  Remember when France had that heat wave in which many died?  The government assured that every abode had air conditioning, even if the government had to give them the units and the government rewired every home that was old and needed rewiring to handle A/C.  That would be unthinkable in the US.  We hope there are enough 'cooling stations' and just allow the rest to die. 

We cannot allow such projects to be left to the free market.  That's how you get the majority of cost cuttings and end up with many different nuclear plants and have to train personnel to handle each plant individually.  There is more wiggle room for things to go wrong.

We also can't trust government to handle these large projects.  Look at the health care fiasco.  That's a life and death situation and they have proven themselves totally inept.

steelbot

Quote from: CornyCrow on November 01, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
I don't like nuclear power.  It's too dangerous.  Most of the disasters, though, seem to happen because of poor planning.  We just cannot trust the people who are supposed to protect the public, can we? 

Those in power in Japan evidently do not merit trust either. 

Maybe some other countries do it better.  Maybe some other governments take the concept of 'public good' more seriously.  Remember when France had that heat wave in which many died?  The government assured that every abode had air conditioning, even if the government had to give them the units and the government rewired every home that was old and needed rewiring to handle A/C.  That would be unthinkable in the US.  We hope there are enough 'cooling stations' and just allow the rest to die. 

We cannot allow such projects to be left to the free market.  That's how you get the majority of cost cuttings and end up with many different nuclear plants and have to train personnel to handle each plant individually.  There is more wiggle room for things to go wrong.

We also can't trust government to handle these large projects.  Look at the health care fiasco.  That's a life and death situation and they have proven themselves totally inept.

I Love nukes...images and documentary footage to the smooth sound of William Tiberius Shatner's Shackting! lol

...but seriously check the guardian when you seem up to it...I don't usually go on NSA politco rabble rabble....but ....quite informative if you need pictures...READ the shit listen to the quick vids..pay attention to the start time when you get to it on the data collection ticker, and when you finish reading / listening go back to page 1 or 2 ...and see how much time you spent and they've already collected...in my 42 minutes it was 875 or so Terabytes....

area51drone

I was listening to a very old broadcast tonight.. some guy talking about threats to nuclear power plants from terrorism, and also some of the dangers of nuclear.  Years and years before these other guys, obviously.   He was actually pretty reasonable, and some of the stuff he said came true at Fukushima.   I didn't catch his name and he's gone from my playlist since it's just randomly broadcasting thousands of shows into the ether on my new pirate FM station.      But one thing he said struck me - that our children will be paying the price (money wise) to store and secure the nuclear waste for a hundred thousand years.    I never really thought about it that way, and on the surface it seems very true.   But it does make you wonder what happens even 1000 years from now - we might be able to reuse that waste or make it clean somehow.   We will probably have found a much cleaner source of power, or implement some of the power ideas we have now on a greater scale - wind, solar, tidal as examples.   It's possible that we might even have a much better solution in the next 100 years.   It's amazing to think how far our technology has come in such a short amount of time.   The question is do we wage our bets on the ingenuity of the human race, or do we  bet against ourselves and stop using nuclear all together?   I also kind of see nuclear as roughly the same as most other sources of power that we use today - clearly burning coal and oil isn't clean and could possibly be more damaging to the environment.   What do you do until there is something more viable?