• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

UFOs

Started by ArtBellFan, April 08, 2008, 08:39:26 PM

Are some flying saucers extraterrestrial in origin?

Yes
8 (61.5%)
No
1 (7.7%)
Not Sure
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 19, 2013, 09:57:21 PM

Jackstar

I tried searching for some raw video of this event, and a sandwich from Subway and a drink of Starbucks spontaneously materialized on my desk. Shiny.

zeebo

I remember being intrigued by the flight transcript for the Valentich incident, which happened over Australia back in the 70's.  Came across this pretty interesting explanation proposing what actually happened.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_valentich_disappearance_another_ufo_cold_case_solved

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on February 21, 2017, 12:27:14 PM
I remember being intrigued by the flight transcript for the Valentich incident, which happened over Australia back in the 70's.  Came across this pretty interesting explanation proposing what actually happened.
Probably the most reasonable explanation would be disorientation.
But if it were a suicide, it's certainly not unprecedented to have someone take a light aircraft out over the ocean never to be seen again. Just in the past 2 years there was an airline pilot who hired a small Cessna in New South Wales and did exactly that.

The most interesting of the widely known cases in Australia to me is the one along the Nullarbor plain (completely empty expanse with only a road and trainline crossing it) where a family were allegedly attacked by a ufo.

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on February 21, 2017, 10:00:55 PM
Probably the most reasonable explanation would be disorientation....

Yeah I hadn't heard of the tilted horizon at twilight effect.  One could see how you'd end up in a spiral without knowing it, trusting your eyes, especially if distracted with unexplained lights seemingly following you around. 

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on February 22, 2017, 12:22:07 AM
Yeah I hadn't heard of the tilted horizon at twilight effect.  One could see how you'd end up in a spiral without knowing it, trusting your eyes, especially if distracted with unexplained lights seemingly following you around.
There's a good number of illusions which can disorientate a pilot - autokinetic illusion is fairly relevant to seeing lights in the sky (basically your eye moves tiny amounts and makes it look like lights are moving on their own):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_illusions_in_aviation
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/SpatialD_VisIllus.pdf

Brody

http://www.jp-robinson.com/single-post/2017/02/27/Beyond-Roswell

Roswell's UFO crash was one of possibly 5 that were downed in a short amount of time?  Some suggest a government anti-aircraft weapon eliminated the UFOs. 

Uncle Duke

http://www.openminds.tv/witness-says-cloaking-ufo-had-usaf-insignia/40641

A former colleague sent this to me today, the sighting report is noteworthy if for no other reason than it includes some of the worst witness sketches in the history of ufology. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 27, 2017, 02:08:13 PM

A former colleague sent this to me today, the sighting report is noteworthy if for no other reason than it includes some of the worst witness sketches in the history of ufology.

They've got some nice tee-shirt designs there.  "The tail moved independent of the fuselage."  I like that. 

chefist

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on July 30, 2017, 11:07:32 AM
Yeah, A dark room, someone to make a puppet, and a voice changer.  ;)

Ha. Hey! I kinda liked it...better than this one at least.

https://youtu.be/R-1MLoum9hY

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 27, 2017, 02:08:13 PM

USAF003 isn't very credible.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on July 30, 2017, 11:12:13 AM
USAF003 isn't very credible.

Yeah, exactly right.  I didn't think there would be much interest in a dissertation on USAF markings and tail code derivations/definitions, so I didn't bother.

Lord Grantham

I'll bet they saw a standard aircraft through some kind of heat haze that they interpreted as "neural confusion". See example below.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Lord Grantham on August 01, 2017, 07:46:18 AM
I'll bet they saw a standard aircraft through some kind of heat haze that they interpreted as "neural confusion". See example below.

Reasonable bet, except for "USAF003" the witness claimed to have seen on the object.  No way any markings can be seen on the Swiss Air Force F-5 in heat haze you used to illustrate your theory.  Of course this presupposes the witness saw "USAF003" and a craft.

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 01, 2017, 10:55:17 AM
Reasonable bet, except for "USAF003" the witness claimed to have seen on the object.  No way any markings can be seen on the Swiss Air Force F-5 in heat haze you used to illustrate your theory.  Of course this presupposes the witness saw "USAF003" and a craft.

I would think most experimental/TS craft would have no markings...like this drone.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Chefist on August 01, 2017, 11:00:54 AM
I would think most experimental/TS craft would have no markings...like this drone.

D21 was retired over 40 years ago, unsure how/if they were marked while flying back in the 70s.  If the craft the witness claimed to have seen recently did have markings identifying it correctly as an USAF a/c, it would have markings/tail codes that comply with established specs/standards, regs, and tech data.

From personal experience, I can tell you how difficult it is to get a waiver to established markings on DoD a/c.  Had the experience on B-2 back in the 80s, and as recently as the early 2000s on JSF (due to USN and USAF having different requirements).  What's a pain is finding the specific organization responsible for specific markings.  In my case, I was working on technically accurate crash rescue markings, with the responsible USAF organization being a small group in the Air Force Civil Engineering Support Agency.  The corresponding USN authority was out of the USN Safety Center. 

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 01, 2017, 12:12:00 PM
D21 was retired over 40 years ago, unsure how/if they were marked while flying back in the 70s.  If the craft the witness claimed to have seen recently did have markings identifying it correctly as an USAF a/c, it would have markings/tail codes that comply with established specs/standards, regs, and tech data.

From personal experience, I can tell you how difficult it is to get a waiver to established markings on DoD a/c.  Had the experience on B-2 back in the 80s, and as recently as the early 2000s on JSF (due to USN and USAF having different requirements).  What's a pain is finding the specific organization responsible for specific markings.  In my case, I was working on technically accurate crash rescue markings, with the responsible USAF organization being a small group in the Air Force Civil Engineering Support Agency.  The corresponding USN authority was out of the USN Safety Center.

I've often heard that about the procedures used to identify a/c. Here is a great pic of Gary Powers plane that was shot down (A/F pilot working for CIA). There were no markings on this craft, which was the highest TS/SCI project at the time.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Chefist on August 01, 2017, 01:16:38 PM
I've often heard that about the procedures used to identify a/c. Here is a great pic of Gary Powers plane that was shot down (A/F pilot working for CIA). There were no markings on this craft, which was the highest TS/SCI project at the time.

By the time that Powers got shot down, the predecessors to the SR-71 were on order. Project Archangel >>> Oxcart was ongoing and we were buying titanium from the Soviet Union through a bunch of shell companies set up by the CIA. I think that was the most closely guarded TS/SCI program in 1960.

The order for the first A-12s was placed on January 26, 1960. 6 days after the Kennedy inauguration. Powers was shot down on May 1, 1960.

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 01, 2017, 01:50:54 PM
By the time that Powers got shot down, the predecessors to the SR-71 were on order. Project Archangel >>> Oxcart was ongoing and we were buying titanium from the Soviet Union through a bunch of shell companies set up by the CIA. I think that was the most closely guarded TS/SCI program in 1960.

The order for the first A-12s was placed on January 26, 1960. 6 days after the Kennedy inauguration. Powers was shot down on May 1, 1960.

Ha. I remember reading about the titanium. I bet the Russians were pissed when they found out.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Chefist on August 01, 2017, 01:16:38 PM

Powers was a "sheep dipped" USAFR (reserve vice regular conmission) pilot flying a CIA, not USAF a/c if I recall correctly.  When the USAF bought their own U-2s, they wore USAF markings.

Jackstar

There is absolutely no reason to accept any information given about Powers' identity, circumstance, or history at face value. Absolutely none.

That said, the man is a quasi-hero, irrespective of other truths about that event. He meant well.

Jackstar

we were buying titanium from the Soviet Union through a bunch of shell companies set up by the CIA

Why is this so much worse than when a Clinton was doing it with uranium?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jackstar on August 01, 2017, 03:00:39 PM
There is absolutely no reason to accept any information given about Powers' identity, circumstance, or history at face value. Absolutely none.

That said, the man is a quasi-hero, irrespective of other truths about that event. He meant well.

Gary Powers Jr spoke last week at the USAF Muesum about his father's U-2 experiences.  Seemed like a good guy who espoused the "Dad was a hero" theme, although at times he came across as a bit whiny. 

To get somewhat back on topic, a U-2 flown by a Republic of China pilot force landed in the dark in the small Colorado town of Cortez a few months before Power got shot down.  For years the incident was treated as a UFO crash, the real story not told until the 1990s. If the people of Cortez had had a bit more imagination, their town could have been another Roswell.

GravitySucks

I screwed up. Kennedy was inaugurated in January, 1961. Eisenhower approved the A-12 orders.

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 01, 2017, 02:55:34 PM
Powers was a "sheep dipped" USAFR (reserve vice regular conmission) pilot flying a CIA, not USAF a/c if I recall correctly.  When the USAF bought their own U-2s, they wore USAF markings.

Interesting...