• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coast Format & Management

Started by anagrammy, April 22, 2011, 09:07:30 PM

anagrammy

Some comments/questions/issues have to do with the format and management of the program, nothing to do with a guest or host.  For example,

Why do they let some guests, Like Joseph P. Farrell (Apr 20 - Giants) preface EVERY SINGLE QUESTION with a reference to a book?  I have been listening to this program all afternoon and I am so annoyed.

As I say in my earliest book, I went into detail on this....
I allude to this in Giants, Mad, Maggots and Men, where in chapter 3 I say...
I don't mention that factor, but suggest it in my previous book, Dawn of the Slugs, which I only suggest because the academics hadn't at that point agreed...

Not only that, the constant repetition of "that being said..."
And I saved the most annoying for last, which I keep hearing no matter what guest is on, "That was an excellent question, George or caller, just excellent....."

The instructions they give the callers and guests appears to have changed.

Something's going on. (George)
Absolutely something's going on--laughter. (Guest)

Anagrammy

PS.  Where's the Appalachia line.  Let's get efficient here, no more euphemisms.

Scully

Ana,  I think we were both installed with many of the same "Annoyance" buttons. 

I've been wondering, too, what in the heck is this new deal of guests telling every caller, and even poor old George, that their questions are EXCELLENT!  On a bell curve, not everyone gets an "A." 

On the other hand, I don't think, though, that the screeners have stopped telling the callers to pay great homage to George and to the show.  That seems to be continuing nicely.  I suspect that both guests and callers are now coached that this is an UPBEAT show with an UPBEAT host, and they will be expected to fit in.

Maybe the ignorant are the blissful.  :-[

anagrammy

Indeed, we are woo-woo sisters!  So let me get this straight-- the pre-programmed preamble for each caller appears to be getting longer and longer:

"It's an honor, just an honor to be talking to you.  Wonderful show, you are the best host in the UNIVERSE maybe even..... how are you? (Fine) I've been a listener for blank years back when blank was broadcasting from blank..."

ME (ASK YOUR FUCKING QUESTION)

And the preamble for the guest is:

"It's an honor, just an honor to be on your show.  You are the best host in the nation and this show has done more for the world than Jesus Christ.   This show started my interest in the paranormal back when blank was broadcasting from blank...."

and then before every question:

WHAT A GREAT QUESTION!  That is something I treat in chapter 5 of my book (TITLE) ?which you can find on my website (LINK) and I get hundreds of emails a day asking the very thing you are asking. (MINUTE PIECE OF ACTUAL INFORMATION)  I have no answers, of course, but we can surmise that the answers are being kept from us by (aliens, elite, government, religious authorities, media)

On the 20th the guest, Jeffrey Farrell, complained that the producers called him that very afternoon to be on the show.  That was a Wednesday, not Open Lines Friday, not a TBA night.  AND...AND...cold fusion had no hook in the news that I'm aware of.  Did you see anything?  So are they scrambling for people to talk to the host because Noory can't carry the show without more people? 

Typically, radio stations take care of this by inserting what they rudely call a "Hole"--a woman whose job it is to say how sweet and wonderful the host is and to laugh uproariously at their jokes, like Robin for Howard Stern, only not as sassy.  No sooner do these words come out of my keyboard than I recall Tom Danheiser having an onair conversation with George recently.  This may be part of the format change that's coming.

The show is having more and more padding and less and less substance over all, would you not agree?

And if you do, could it be that the Noory flavor of Coast is a caricature of the old show and has lost so much respect they can't get a serious scientist to appear any more.  And why would they after hearing Noory say the audience couldn't handle a (wonderful) description of the solar progression by a man who made his bones converting scientific concepts into layman's language!  You know he won't be back.

Anagrammy

Scully

Dear Anagrammy,

Yes!!!   :'(

Love, Scully

anagrammy

Hey guys, check out my post over on GNS The Definitive Compendium.  Georgesucks made a really good point about the ratings game and it caused me to kind of change my thinking on the advocacy direction.

Let me know what you think

Anagrammy