• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Fidget

Started by KnyeGuy, July 24, 2009, 11:15:49 AM

jazmunda

I love my fidgets and my kids love them too.

Due to it's purported time travel inducing abilities let's just say that it helped me to quit smoking 2 years ago.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: jazmunda on November 19, 2014, 09:57:45 PM
I love my fidgets and my kids love them too.

Due to it's purported time travel inducing abilities let's just say that it helped me to quit smoking 2 years ago.
Glad to hear read it Jaz! I have always been amazed at the interpretations of kids with them. The imagination reflected as they "look at them" in their own unique ways is one of the driving forces that makes me "press on." Kids need more things on the can do list, to balance out the don't do that list.
   There are some teachers that use them in class, and I have hope that someday they will become an adjunct to conventional curriculum for "STEM" teaching. They do contain Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math... aside from the obvious "something to fidget with" properties. I think eventually they will have "equation definitions" attached. I also believe anyone exposed to them as a kid has a head start in dexterity, and real world mechanical comprehension. :)
mf

Mr. Fidget

A recap:

This simple device pictured below is three links of one speed bike chain, connected to a key ring. There are hundreds of uses, methods, skills, and techniques associated with this device. It can help people with stress, habit modification, mechanical comprehension, and eye-hand dexterity coordination. They should be widely available to anyone in the educational years, to provide real world examples of physics... torque, cycle, process, friction, and leverage. Although very simple, over the last 20 years I have come up with a wide variety of interpretations that allow this simplicity to blossom into something that is actually scientifically valid. They can serve as both a teaching aid, and an aid for day to day life.
Mr. Fidget
[attachimg=1]

ps. There are 30 more complex varieties.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on November 19, 2014, 06:57:43 PM
I think it's good karma to help out a down underer.

I'm curious what your (& Jaz, & General's) appraisal/opinion of them is? The only one you have that Art didn't get is the spinning top, I hadn't figured out that configuration yet. Just so you know... you can flip that one in the air like a coin and it'll make a "clickety clickety click" sound as it rotates... if you get enough of a spin.
   The "loops of chain" one can make a great hand exerciser by putting a rubber band around it and squeezing the other way. The tighter the rubber band, the harder to squeeze. I think that design (perhaps in another material than chain) could be good for physical therapy people, since the tension is adjustable and the clicking noise lets them know that they accomplish the task. This is perhaps better than traditional hand exercisers such as a rubber ball that they often squeeze in physical therapy now.

Also, I could answer any questions you three might have.

mf
ps. To the other few BG'rs that have requested fidgets: I apologize I haven't been able to send them, I've had a lot going on.
pps. And Coaster... whom said he wanted a fidget, didn't ever bother contacting me. Way to go Coaster.

My favorites are the ones with a chain wrapped inside a chain.  I like the aesthetics of them and the way they feel.  However, it would be good if you were to put out some videos on how best to use them.

Which one is the "spinning top" fidget?

paladin1991

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on November 20, 2014, 12:39:11 PM
A recap:

This simple device pictured below is three links of one speed bike chain, connected to a key ring. There are hundreds of uses, methods, skills, and techniques associated with this device. It can help people with stress, habit modification, mechanical comprehension, and eye-hand dexterity coordination. They should be widely available to anyone in the educational years, to provide real world examples of physics... torque, cycle, process, friction, and leverage. Although very simple, over the last 20 years I have come up with a wide variety of interpretations that allow this simplicity to blossom into something that is actually scientifically valid. They can serve as both a teaching aid, and an aid for day to day life.
Mr. Fidget
[attachimg=1]

ps. There are 30 more complex varieties.
I see these everywhere!  The flea markets, the farmers markets, the bodega liquor store, you must be making a fortune.

Daggit

Hey I remember this guy. I almost sent off some money for a Fidget. Seems I dodge a bullet there. :D

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: MV on November 20, 2014, 03:16:39 PM
It would be good if you were to put out some videos on how best to use them.

Which one is the "spinning top" fidget?
I'm hoping to make some video someday, not sure when I'll get it done... like everything else. ;)
The top has the ball bearing in it.
Quote from: paladin1991 on November 21, 2014, 12:06:12 PM
I see these everywhere!  The flea markets, the farmers markets, the bodega liquor store, you must be making a fortune.
Someone may be... I have no retail outlets, nor wholesale buyers.
Quote from: Daggit on December 07, 2014, 04:50:40 PM
Hey I remember this guy. I almost sent off some money for a Fidget. Seems I dodge a bullet there. :D
Or perhaps you "missed the boat" by not following my simple instructions to make your own...
;)

Merry Christmas Eve. Gabbers!

mf

albrecht

I have yet to see any fidgets in person, though I must admit I havent attend any fairs recently excepting the fair and rodeo. Lots of fried foods and livestock but no fidgets. I would think fidgets would make good "stocking stuffers" for Christmas. Would a kid rather have a fidget or an orange?
Ps: Merry Christmas and keep on fidgeting.

Daggit

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on December 24, 2014, 11:15:44 PM
Or perhaps you "missed the boat" by not following my simple instructions to make your own...
;)

Merry Christmas Eve. Gabbers!

mf

Sorry I only build useful things. :P

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: albrecht on December 25, 2014, 05:17:00 PM
I have yet to see any fidgets in person, though I must admit I havent attend any fairs recently excepting the fair and rodeo. Lots of fried foods and livestock but no fidgets. I would think fidgets would make good "stocking stuffers" for Christmas. Would a kid rather have a fidget or an orange?
Ps: Merry Christmas and keep on fidgeting.
Likewise, and a belated Happy New Year to you and the other Gabbers. Things are looking up this year, many good things forthcoming. :-)
[attachimg=1]

Gabriel

Mr. Fidget!  First I must say... you are a wise man.  If more people were like you the world would be a much better place. 

My fiance and I listened, the other day; to the Art Bell show where you got thru on open lines at the grocery store payphone.  It was one of the best Art Bell's we ever heard!  I liked it so much I googled your name to find where we could buy a Fidget... I came across fidgetland and was very skeptical that was really you so I continued googling and to my delight I came across this forum at bellgab.  I really want a fidget to quit smoking but I did not want to give money to a fake.  I feel the need to invest in the real Mr. Fidget. 

I would love it if I could purchase a fidget for me and my fiance.  I would like the original fidget for myself and my fiance would like it if you picked one for her. 

Thanks!

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: Gabriel on January 29, 2015, 11:30:19 AM
Mr. Fidget!  First I must say... you are a wise man.  If more people were like you the world would be a much better place. 

My fiance and I listened, the other day; to the Art Bell show where you got thru on open lines at the grocery store payphone.  It was one of the best Art Bell's we ever heard!  I liked it so much I googled your name to find where we could buy a Fidget... I came across fidgetland and was very skeptical that was really you so I continued googling and to my delight I came across this forum at bellgab.  I really want a fidget to quit smoking but I did not want to give money to a fake.  I feel the need to invest in the real Mr. Fidget. 

I would love it if I could purchase a fidget for me and my fiance.  I would like the original fidget for myself and my fiance would like it if you picked one for her. 

Thanks!
Thanks for the complementary post Gabriel. PM or email me a mailing address, and I'll do what I can. I do not sell my chain work anymore, just make them for gifts and fun... for now. I've been dealing with a bunch of projects, and have a couple (patient) gabbers ahead of you, however I'm closer to breaking through the mire than ever.

mf

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on February 02, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Thanks for the complementary post Gabriel. PM or email me a mailing address, and I'll do what I can. I do not sell my chain work anymore, just make them for gifts and fun... for now. I've been dealing with a bunch of projects, and have a couple (patient) gabbers ahead of you, however I'm closer to breaking through the mire than ever.

mf

sup, mf.  how are things?  i still need to send you money for the fidgets you mailed me.  should i paypal the money to the email associated with your bellgab account?

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: MV on February 02, 2015, 03:55:51 PM

sup, mf.  how are things?  i still need to send you money for the fidgets you mailed me.  should i paypal the money to the email associated with your bellgab account?
Things are phenomenal! Just got back to LA from the stuperbowl, and saw your post. Paypal is fine, and thanks! Although I've been rolling snake-eyes in regards to the full scale rollout of my chain work, I've been getting boxcars in several other projects.

Life is bizarre.
:-)
mf

NXOEED

Mr. Fidget, hello. We met twenty years ago on a bench in front of the Headquarters head shop in Tempe, Arizona. You let me play with some of your fidgets and I showed you some of my art. You were a fine human being and it was a great conversation. I'm glad to see you're still at it.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: NXOEED on February 12, 2015, 07:55:56 PM
Mr. Fidget, hello. We met twenty years ago on a bench in front of the Headquarters head shop in Tempe, Arizona. You let me play with some of your fidgets and I showed you some of my art. You were a fine human being and it was a great conversation. I'm glad to see you're still at it.
Thanks! It's been a long strange journey. I'm glad you liked them, and that was before I got the "gift ethic" or you'd have one! ;) The pic below is a mat board I cut on Christmas day 2012. I think the chain art gave me the eye-hand skill to cut stuff like this by eye. The borders are all freehand also... no ruler! I'll check out your site!
mf
[attachimg=1]

Delphi

I was just listening to the Art show where the fidget guy calling in from the 2 pay phones and people were traveling to him and he would hand over the phone to them to verify

albrecht

Quote from: Delphi on February 13, 2015, 07:12:43 PM
I was just listening to the Art show where the fidget guy calling in from the 2 pay phones and people were traveling to him and he would hand over the phone to them to verify
Possibly my favorite show, certainly one of the best especially hearing it live (but even on replay). Because it has an ultimate crazy guest about Atlantis with all her theories and Art reacting hilariously and then they whole Mr.Fidget with random people showing up on payphone to verify and people listening to show who drive over to phone. This is the show I tell people to listen too if they want to see the magic of Art Bell's C2C in the good old day. Interesting, albeit crazy guest, awesome open-lines and lead to amazing radio.

Heather Wade

What's the date of that show?

albrecht

Quote from: (Redacted) on February 13, 2015, 08:29:55 PM
What's the date of that show?
Aug 14 1997: Dr. Wendy Lockwood (Atlantis etc) & Mr.Fidget (I forget the official title in the torrent but the show is in it.)

Mr. Fidget

I guess I was just decades ahead of the "mainstream". I will venture to say, fidget-toys will be a billion dollar industry soon... if it's not already. With a little VC, I could go far. I've not gotten the best response saying "it's a long story". Too bad I don't have the "normal" info for their forms, a lot of people could benefit. Maybe someday Art will lift the "No credible journalist" curse. :)
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

At least they did not plug Mr. Burns, either! ;)

mf

Mr. Fidget

Pictured below, a one and only:
[attachimg=1]
It is a gold (dipped) fidget sculpture from a while back. It was just an experiment, it went in no time. It turns out dipping fidgets in gold is not very easy. The grease inside the chain boils and blisters the gold. It was a fun idea (turned reality), even though it's a one-off.

mf

Mr. Fidget

Last week I spent some time cutting mat:
[attachimg=1]
Beach scenes are popular.

mf

Mr. Fidget

I made a cube-oid a while back, it's in a friend's collection.
mf

coaster

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 25, 2015, 08:32:07 PM
I made a cube-oid a while back, it's in a friend's collection.
mf
thats cool. Is it hollow in the middle? I still want a fidget damnit.

NXOEED

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on February 12, 2015, 10:28:04 PM
   Thanks! It's been a long strange journey. I'm glad you liked them, and that was before I got the "gift ethic" or you'd have one! ;) The pic below is a mat board I cut on Christmas day 2012. I think the chain art gave me the eye-hand skill to cut stuff like this by eye. The borders are all freehand also... no ruler! I'll check out your site!

Cool. I remember hearing you on C2C a few years after our conversation. It was late at night and I was half asleep. I woke up to it and thought, "Is that the guy I talked to in front of the head shop that one time?" I also ran into some folks who had interacted with you on a number of occasions. We ran in some of the same circles, I think (anarchist co-ops). You definitely made an impact.

Sorry it took me two months to check this thread for a response. 

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: coaster on April 25, 2015, 10:10:48 PM
thats cool. Is it hollow in the middle? I still want a fidget damnit.
It is hollow, and like I said just pm me a mailing address for your fidget. I'll send you one with the other few left on my gabbers list... when I can.

Quote from: NXOEED on April 29, 2015, 10:25:20 AM
Cool. I remember hearing you on C2C a few years after our conversation. It was late at night and I was half asleep. I woke up to it and thought, "Is that the guy I talked to in front of the head shop that one time?" I also ran into some folks who had interacted with you on a number of occasions. We ran in some of the same circles, I think (anarchist co-ops). You definitely made an impact.
Sorry it took me two months to check this thread for a response. 
Yeah, that shop was "Headquarters", they sold fidgets in the mid-90's. I remember that co-op place too, they printed a magazine if I recall. I think they also bought fidgets for their shop. For the record, although I've known a few over the years, I definitely don't consider myself an "anarchist". I know all types of people, the fidgets work for whomever chooses to use them. As a result I travel in very wide circles.

mf

NXOEED

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 29, 2015, 11:19:43 PM
    Yeah, that shop was "Headquarters", they sold fidgets in the mid-90's. I remember that co-op place too, they printed a magazine if I recall. I think they also bought fidgets for their shop. For the record, although I've known a few over the years, I definitely don't consider myself an "anarchist". I know all types of people, the fidgets work for whomever chooses to use them. As a result I travel in very wide circles.

mf

Haha yeah, Headquarters. I still drop flyers and stickers there all the time. It's still around, but it moved down the street. They tore that old one down. It's an ASU parking lot now.

Yeah, I don't consider myself an anarchist either. I do a lot of work in their co-ops because of shared resources that I can use to make merch, like screen printing / printmaking studios, but I consider myself largely apolitical and generally avoid policy debate.

Mr. Fidget

This is a spinning top I made a while back. It has a few sizes of chain joined together, and can spin for a few minutes. The "bearing" is an old pinball.

mf

Mr. Fidget:

I'm looking forward to hearing you call in to Midnight in the Desert.

Fidget regenerates a hit
in Art Bell's Midnight in the
Desert, a reborn Zig-Zag
guest who will sound
every law regarding - début to fini -
the magic temporal fidget - poof!

Camazotz Automat