• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Go Palm!!! Die Apple!! Die Apple!!

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 08, 2009, 01:51:51 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: slipstream on July 10, 2013, 02:13:43 PM
Apple lost in court!!!!!!!!!   Yahoo!!!

Judge rules Apple conspired to raise prices on e-books.

...and how much profit/ customer loyalty do you think they will lose? In round figures?  This round? O

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 10, 2013, 02:20:12 PM

...and how much profit/ customer loyalty do you think they will lose? In round figures?  This round? O

apple is definitely losing customer loyalty i think, but not over this issue.  it's because when juxtaposed with devices like the galaxy s4, the iphone just looks like an outdated also-ran.  everything is opinion, of course... but that's what i see.  the only area in which the iphone still dominates by any noticeable margin is the camera.  for whatever reason, they seem to be the only company capable of making a phone camera work well (unless you want a windows phone from nokia, which simply isn't a viable option).

onan

Quote from: MV on July 10, 2013, 05:55:37 PM

apple is definitely losing customer loyalty i think, but not over this issue.  it's because when juxtaposed with devices like the galaxy s4, the iphone just looks like an outdated also-ran.  everything is opinion, of course... but that's what i see.  the only area in which the iphone still dominates by any noticeable margin is the camera.  for whatever reason, they seem to be the only company capable of making a phone camera work well (unless you want a windows phone from nokia, which simply isn't a viable option).

I seem to have difficulty with all mobile technology. I used US Robotics before they became palm. Then I used Palm through 3 variations with little problem until I had a Treo which is fine if you have hands the size of a 4 year old. Palm then seemed to fade away. Iphones were not yet available with Verizon, so, I went to droid and initially it was fine. But then with my last Android, I suffered multiple daily crashes. Whenever I would use the GPS and get a phone call it would freeze and only a reboot would resolve the issue. I decided since all my peers were using Iphones; I would too. Well lucky me, my Iphone 5 decided to call different numbers than I selected through my contact list. Two specific contacts, if I chose them would dial a different contact. It seems, according to a Verizon tech it is a "rare" problem he has seen only 2 other times. He said he replaced the sim card... he had the phone for less than 10 minutes... so I am suspicious he did anything close to replacing something on my phone. But the problem does seem to have been solved.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on July 10, 2013, 08:57:13 PM
But then with my last Android, I suffered multiple daily crashes. Whenever I would use the GPS and get a phone call it would freeze and only a reboot would resolve the issue.

that's why people really should look at a nexus device before anything else when choosing android.  they come with no bloat from the carrier or the manufacturer... only pure android from google.  they're far snappier and far more stable than the other android devices i've used.

Yorkshire pud

I got a Galaxy two at my last upgrade and still have it; I would imagine when it's up for renewal the V4 will maybe be offered. But from what I've seen it's huge, and I'm not sure I'd like it; but wait and see. The S2 has on the whole been fine. It isn't perfect, and has the irritating habit of refreshing deleted e mails multiple times, but apparently it's because of POP3. It's crashed twice since I've had it, no reason as I could see. I don't use anywhere near as many apps as it has, the camera has a magenta cast on it (When shooting a neutral colour such as stone etc), and when the same photo was taken with an S1 the colour was correct, no idea what's going on there. I don't want an I phone or any Apple product for that matter, maybe I'll be convinced otherwise later.. :-\

Juan

I really miss the way my Palm Pilot could sync with my computer.  I could use the Palm software calendar program, set all my appointments up on the computer, then sync to the device.  I could create notes, memos and all kinds of things and have them sync accurately.  I don't know that an iPhone can do this, but I know android devices don't without 3rd party software that's balky at best.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on July 11, 2013, 05:36:29 AM
I really miss the way my Palm Pilot could sync with my computer.  I could use the Palm software calendar program, set all my appointments up on the computer, then sync to the device.  I could create notes, memos and all kinds of things and have them sync accurately.  I don't know that an iPhone can do this, but I know android devices don't without 3rd party software that's balky at best.

You can... but it isn't just plug and play... google docs is part of the system... and being that much of what I do has a confidentiality component, I have to be careful. But most of my colleagues aren't concerned.

The google docs component though is pretty seamless and intuitive... for most of my stuff it is a nice feature.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 11, 2013, 04:37:44 AM
But from what I've seen it's huge, and I'm not sure I'd like it; but wait and see.

the size is definitely something that will scare some people away, but for others, it's exactly the reason to switch.  if your carriers are anything like ours here, you have some time to try a device without being contractually obligated to anything.   

The S2 has on the whole been fine. It isn't perfect, and has the irritating habit of refreshing deleted e mails multiple times, but apparently it's because of POP3.

what i would do is set up a gmail account from a PC, go into the gmail account settings, and tell it to pull email from all of your email addresses into that inbox.  also set it to let you send from those addresses via gmail.  then, use the actual gmail app on your phone and tie it to the gmail account you created.  i think you'll find it to be far more reliable.  of course, if you already have a google account, you could use that account for gmail.

...the camera has a magenta cast on it (When shooting a neutral colour such as stone etc), and when the same photo was taken with an S1 the colour was correct...

have you tried a 3rd party camera app from the play store?  i'd give that a shot.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on July 11, 2013, 05:36:29 AM

go to calendar.google.com on your computer, input your appointments, and you're done.  it all gets pulled into your android device.  the same goes for contacts, notes, memos, etc..  no 3rd party software necessary.

Juan

As does Onan, i have a confidentiality factor.  I don't want anything on the cloud.  Thanks, though, for your suggestions.