• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Roseanne Reboot ~ Pro Trump ?

Started by Up All Night, March 29, 2018, 07:58:51 AM

Up All Night

Post your opinions here about the Roseanne reboot, Pro or Con, or Otherwise

“He talked about jobs, Jackie!” Roseanne says to her “Nasty Woman” T-shirt-clad sister, who vocally supported Hillary Clinton but walked into the booth and voted for Green Party candidate Jill Stein. “He said he’d shake things up! I mean, this might come as a complete shock to you, but we almost lost our house, the way things are going.”Moments later, just before the family eats dinner, Roseanne says a prayer â€" she asks Jackie, “Would you like to take a knee?” â€" in which she thanks God for her son D.J.’s (Michael Fishman) safe return home from his military service in Syria and “most of all Lord, thank you, for making America great again.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/03/28/emotional-pro-trump-roseanne-revival/

A record-breaking 18 million viewers tuned into ABC Tuesday night to watch the return of the 1990s queen of sitcom. After a 20-year absence, Barr revived her award-winning role as the matriarch of the working class Conner family of Lanford, Illinois. And Trump’s America found a champion.After the 2016 election, Hollywood executives realized how ridiculously out of step they were with their audience. If the box office collapse and network television implosion wasn’t proof enough, the election of Donald Trump left no doubt they were clueless about life outside their media bubble.

No, Trump’s voters aren’t racist, sexist, xenophobic, self-hating, privileged, or duped by Russians. They are â€" to quote Barr’s sitcom daughter Becky (Lecy Goranson) â€" “stressed about money.” As Roseanne explains to her Hillary-supporting sister Jackie, Trump “talked about jobs. He said he’d shake things up. It might come as a complete shock to you, but we almost lost our house because of the way things were going.” These reasons “might come as a complete shock” to bicoastal elites because the post-NAFTA plight of working class Americans has been ignored for the last 20 years. And perhaps it’s not coincidental that Barr’s sitcom has been absent for those two decades.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/03/28/review-whats-up-deplorable-roseanne-barrs-rebooted-sitcom-embraces-trumps-america/

-----------------------------------

I think what I'd really like is a 2018 version of Archie bunker, a reboot of "All In The Family", with all new characters, of course.

As for Roseanne, I was a very casual fan of that show the first time around. And this reboot, I just don't want to watch any show that has children cross dressing. No Thanks!! Doesn't PBS have enough serials for the public to watch that feature boys dressed non-masculine, and girls dressed non-feminine? ???

ItsOver

I'll just stick with MeTV, other classic stations, and the classic movies.  I recently saw the 60th anniversary showing of "Vertigo," courtesy of Fathom Events.  It dwarfs anything that's churned out of what poses as Hollywood, these days.  The current Hollywood is by-and-large a cesspool.  Even if they could come up with decent, creative programs, the majority are morally bankrupt, with few if any, redeeming qualities.  Even Roseanne is just a redo of a somewhat mediocre 80's, 90's show.  For movies, just how many comic book heroes and CGI-fests can one take?

Dr. MD MD

At least their not pretending that a) any one who isn't liberal doesn't exist or b) that they're evil and liberals are the real "good people." I see this representation in the mainstream as a major breakthrough. The tides are turning! ;D

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on March 29, 2018, 08:51:44 AM
I'll just stick with MeTV, other classic stations, and the classic movies.  I recently saw the 60th anniversary showing of "Vertigo," courtesy of Fathom Events.  It dwarfs anything that's churned out of what poses as Hollywood, these days.  The current Hollywood is by-and-large a cesspool.  Even if they could come up with decent, creative programs, the majority are morally bankrupt, with few if any, redeeming qualities.  Even Roseanne is just a redo of a somewhat mediocre 80's, 90's show.  For movies, just how many comic book heroes and CGI-fests can one take?
Agreed 100%. Aside from some sports, which of course have also become political and used for advancing social agendas, why watch the tripe Hollywood puts out these days? Stop feeding the beast.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on March 29, 2018, 10:01:38 AM
Agreed 100%. Aside from some sports, which of course have also become political and used for advancing social agendas, why watch the tripe Hollywood puts out these days? Stop feeding the beast.

I agree.

Despite the apparent success of Roseanne redux, there is an obvious subtext.  The writers in many ways reinforce the negative stereotype of Trump voters and attempt to promote all manner of liberal causes. Most prominent for me was the treatment of the oldest grandson’s “experimenting” with being gay and the continued portrayal of the two daughters’ failure to thrive as adults being typical of the children of working class Trump voters.  The writers gave Roseanne’s sister lines that in effect asserted that Trump’s Presidency is a disaster which went completely unrebutted ignoring the fact that the economy is booming and that there is record employment in all demographics. 

The leftest writers will continue to  attempt to propagandize in furtherance of their nefarious  agenda by including in the scripts scenarios and dialogue that are replete with pro-left and anti-conservative and anti-Trump insinuation and sophistry while giving Trump’s accomplishments short shrift.  Here’s hoping that it will continue to backfire.

Quote from: ItsOver on March 29, 2018, 08:51:44 AM

I ditto that.  I do like Roseanne and John Goodman but I really never caught the show the first time around and I don't have any good reason to watch it now.

Gd5150

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on March 29, 2018, 12:48:05 PM
I agree.

Despite the apparent success of Roseanne redux, there is an obvious subtext.  The writers in many ways reinforce the negative stereotype of Trump voters and attempt to promote all manner of liberal causes. Most prominent for me was the treatment of the oldest grandson’s “experimenting” with being gay and the continued portrayal of the two daughters’ failure to thrive as adults being typical of the children of working class Trump voters.  The writers gave Roseanne’s sister lines that in effect asserted that Trump’s Presidency is a disaster which went completely unrebutted ignoring the fact that the economy is booming and that there is record employment in all demographics. 

The leftest writers will continue to  attempt to propagandize in furtherance of their nefarious  agenda by including in the scripts scenarios and dialogue that are replete with pro-left and anti-conservative and anti-Trump insinuation and sophistry while giving Trump’s accomplishments short shrift.  Here’s hoping that it will continue to backfire.

Agreed the left is behind this and this stradegy is nothing new. They’ll tell us how crappy the economy is despite the reality. And then have the most annoying person on TV represent Trump voters. Like Rob Lowe being the the “Republican” on West Wing. Don’t need a bunch of left wing high school dropouts from Hollywood telling me how it is. But hey, if the show is the one and only not preaching the same ol psychotic hatred of conservatives, then good for them.

I find it’s best to avoid everything on the big 3 networks. The left wing garbage saturates their fiction, local and national news. Don’t need it. Can avoid HBO as well. And TBS. And The not funny Comedy Channel.

Pretty much all new TV content is garbage other than a few sports. And sports news is also crap. Watch fantasy sports news shows, they actually cover the sports, not the left wing politics preached by the ignorant lemming players.

Dr. MD MD

I agree.

Yeah but Roseanne seems pretty consistant in her views. I know that, like me, she's not exactly a dyed in the wool conservative and probably stil maintains certain liberal values but she's blue collar. OK, she's probably still somewhat wealthy but she came from that and doesn't seem to have ever forgot that. She's also made statements about how insane she thinks the left went and how she stopped being friends with Hillary because she didn't agree with her "foreign policy." Just the fact that there's a dialogue on that show and not the usual sanctimonious liberal monologue is a vast improvement and a positive sign. Plus, she and Goodman are pretty funny. Having said that, I still haven't seen it and was never a huge fan of the original, though I have seen it. I will probably watch this eventually.

I think that in the light of all the uncovering of corruption recently there's a danger of overreacting in a way that's not unlike the Marxists, in becoming skeptical of anyone who isn't purely conservative. Careful, Republicans! You may actually start alienating voters who recently swung your way in doing this.   ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: Up All Night on March 29, 2018, 07:58:51 AM
Doesn't PBS have enough serials for the public to watch that feature boys dressed non-masculine, and girls dressed non-feminine? ???

No, because those shows don't feature John Goodman handing out weaponry & cracking jokes about it.

Also, it must be stated that Sara Gilbert trying to act like she is not gay is comedy gold.

Up All Night

I'd still prefer a 2018 version of Archie Bunker though. (To match the original show's premise, he would be 47 years old in 2018). He'd be a Desert Shield Gulf War Veteran.

They'll need to revise the theme song, replacing Herbert Hoover with Ronald Reagan.
Boy the way Phil Collins Played, and a few other changes...

Original Theme Song (Written by Lee Adams (lyrics) and Charles Strouse (music)

Boy, the way Glen Miller played.
Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Guys like us, we had it made.
Those were the days
Didn't need no welfare state.
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days
And you knew where you were then
Girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
People seemed to be content.
Fifty dollars paid the rent.
Freaks were in a circus tent.
Those were the days
Take a little Sunday spin,
Go to watch the Dodgers win.
Have yourself a dandy day
That cost you under a fin.
Hair was short and skirts were long.
Kate Smith really sold a song.
I don't know just what went wrong
Those Were the Days

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Up All Night on March 29, 2018, 03:42:28 PM
I'd still prefer a 2018 version of Archie Bunker though. (To match the original show's premise, he would be 47 years old in 2018). He'd be a Desert Shield Gulf War Veteran.

Sure! There was something for everyone on that show: your meatheads AND your productive citizens. ;)

Plus, every once in a while Jefferson would mix it up with that honky. ;D

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2018, 03:47:18 PM
Sure! There was something for everyone on that show: your meatheads AND your productive citizens. ;)

I only found that show amusing once, usually it was depressing. The punchline at the 5 second mark was funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFWRPiNXOI

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Up All Night on March 29, 2018, 07:58:51 AM
and girls dressed non-feminine? ???

I wore a dress while standing in line once. The dude behind me kept on standing way too close, especially with his foot. I think he was trying to get an upskirt shot from his shoe. I should have stomped on it but I'm too uh...feminine. So, how do you think I should dress?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 29, 2018, 04:07:46 PM
I wore a dress while standing in line once. The dude behind me kept on standing way too close, especially with his foot. I think he was trying to get an upskirt shot from his shoe. I should have stomped on it but I'm too ladylike. So, how do you think I should dress?

I'm all for extra sluty. ;) ;)

Rix Gins

Try as they might, hardly anybody knew what Archie and Edith were singing when it came to this line.  Two or three seasons in, the producers even had the stars sing that particular line slower compared to the rest of the song, and more carefully enunciated, but still, lots of people couldn't comprehend what was being sung.

Uncle Duke

They'll need to revise the theme song, replacing Herbert Hoover with Ronald Reagan.
Boy the way Phil Collins Played, and a few other changes...

Original Theme Song (Written by Lee Adams (lyrics) and Charles Strouse (music)

Boy, the way Glen Miller played.
Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Guys like us, we had it made.
Those were the days
Didn't need no welfare state.
Everybody pulled his weight
Those were the days
And you knew where you were then
Girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
People seemed to be content.
Fifty dollars paid the rent.
Freaks were in a circus tent.
Those were the days
Take a little Sunday spin,
Go to watch the Dodgers win.
Have yourself a dandy day
That cost you under a fin.
Hair was short and skirts were long.
Kate Smith really sold a song.
I don't know just what went wrong
Those Were the Days

Not sure a remake would work, at least not with the bite of the original series.  Liberals in the country today take themselves and their views far too seriously to allow for jokes to be made about them.  Similarly, it would be difficult to do remakes of black-sentric shows like the Jeffersons and Good Times.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on March 29, 2018, 04:19:56 PM
Try as they might, hardly anybody knew what Archie and Edith were singing when it came to this line.  Two or three seasons in, the producers even had the stars sing that particular line slower compared to the rest of the song, and more carefully enunciated, but still, lots of people couldn't comprehend what was being sung.

Yeah, I could never figure out what they were saying in that line until my friend who works on old cars told me. ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 29, 2018, 04:21:37 PM
Not sure a remake would work, at least not with the bite of the original series.  Liberals in the country today take themselves and their views far too seriously to allow for jokes to be made about them.  Similarly, it would be difficult to do remakes of black-sentric shows like the Jeffersons and Good Times.

Gd5150

Liberals in the country today take themselves and their views far too seriously to allow for jokes to be made about them.

Which makes their psychotic hatred for Trump that much more enjoyable. I love the smell of triggered lemming in the morning...

Similarly, it would be difficult to do remakes of black-sentric shows like the Jeffersons and Good Times.

Which is a shame. Unfortunately todays black community TV is only allowed to joke when it’s at the expense of white people. It’s really so boring. Even “in living color” would be considered white washed by today’s standards.

The liberal cause of hating anything conservatives like takes top priority. That is their platform.

Too bad. This was some great tv.

Up All Night

Saw this flipping channels tonight:

Tonight, Young Sheldon announces to his parents that he's won the part to star in a musical at school.... "Annie".

Looks like the DNC has given sit-com writers their ' kids cross-dressing' marching orders.  ???

Up All Night

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 29, 2018, 03:47:18 PM

Not to mention the occasional Sammy Davis Jr. !!!

Up All Night

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 29, 2018, 04:07:46 PM
I wore a dress while standing in line once. The dude behind me kept on standing way too close, especially with his foot. I think he was trying to get an upskirt shot from his shoe. I should have stomped on it but I'm too uh...feminine. So, how do you think I should dress?

Girls can wear slacks without looking manish... except for Hillary, of course!!
I may not be able to describe it, but I know it when I see it.... when a female has crossed the dress line into non-feminine, and when, a male has crossed the line into non-masculine. See the PBS shows Wishbone and Odd Squad for examples.

Here, I captured an image for you:

In case that photo is just to challenging for you, it's the boy in the white coat  and the girl on the right that I'm talking about...

Kidnostad3

I agree.

https://youtu.be/XyOtNAmR36M

It would appear that Ben Shapiro has a similar take to mine on the new Roseanne show.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Up All Night on March 29, 2018, 07:15:37 PM
Girls can wear slacks without looking manish... except for Hillary, of course!!
I may not be able to describe it, but I know it when I see it.... when a female has crossed the dress line into non-feminine, and when, a male has crossed the line into non-masculine. See the PBS shows Wishbone and Odd Squad for examples.

Here, I captured an image for you:

In case that photo is just to challenging for you, it's the boy in the white coat  and the girl on the right that I'm talking about...

The boy is in a lab coat. Yeah, I agree those shouldn't be used outside a lab. Are you really trying to be the judge of what everyone on this planet should be wearing so you can tell whether they are female or male?

What do you think about this what this female is wearing?