• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Amazon Fire Tablet

Started by Jojo, March 03, 2018, 02:26:16 AM

Jojo

Is the "Silk" browser any good on the Amazon Fire tablet?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on March 03, 2018, 02:26:16 AM
Is the "Silk" browser any good on the Amazon Fire tablet?

FireFubâ,,¢️ Works or will work on virtually all devices.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 03, 2018, 02:54:28 AM
FireFubâ,,¢️ Works or will work on virtually all devices.

Do you know when they'll be coming out with FireFap?

TigerLily

Hi Jojo

I've been using my Amazon Fire (HD 7 wireless) for almost 3 years. I have a laptop for business/serious stuff and use my Fire for entertainment.  I have found very few limitations using Silk. And though I haven't felt the need to do this, I found plenty of information online on how to load Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. on the Fire. And if you are hooked into AmazonWorld: Products, Prime, etc., of course it's compatible. I am too poor/cheap to go IPhone but don't feel like I'm missing much by being a Google/Android/Amazonian

The Fires are sturdy, fast and Amazon provides great online or human customer support. Great little tablet and ridiculously cheap. I bought one for my guy for Christmas. He didn't think he wanted one but now uses it constantly and wonders how he got along without it. I sound like a Fire commercial but it really is my favorite little gadget

TigerLily recommended

MV/Liberace!

Unless you are tied DEEPLY into the services Amazon offers, the Fire tablet is a bloated and locked down lump of shit everyone should stay away from.

1) It is running a version of Android that is so heavily modified by Amazon that it's almost not Android.You have to run scripts externally from a PC using ADB just to install the Google Play Store.

2) There is almost limitlesss preinstalled Amazon software, none of which can be uninstalled or even disabled without rooting the tablet.

3) Certain permissions are needed for certain apps to run correctly, but you can't grant those permissions without rooting because they've been stripped from the operating system.

4) You can't even start the Fire for the first time without an Amazon account.

5)They feel like a lightweight slab of plastic garbage in the hand.

Don't buy a Fire tablet. There are 10,000 other options.

TigerLily

It's a $50 toy. Works fine for me

SredniVashtar

I've had mine about a year and I'd give it a solid 7/10. The Google Play thing is easily circumvented if you're able to follow a few instructions, and I've yet to find a website that doesn't let me on because I'm using a Fire. I doubt most ordinary users experience many problems doing what they want to do with it. The build quality is about what I'd expect for something so inexpensive, but I'd imagine most people use a case so it isn't an issue.

There are plenty of little niggles ( the email app is poor and doesn't let me install gmail instead) but not irritating enough to be a deal breaker. I was put off buying one initially because I thought I'd be stuck in an Amazon walled garden, but all those apps are easily ignored. I rarely bother with the Amazon apps and I installed the Chrome browser so I don't even use Silk.

I'm sure there are better (certainly faster) products out there, but I think they get the balance between performance and affordability about right. It's very cheap and you get a lot for your money. There may be products twice as good, but also four times the price, and it's a question of whether you want, or need, the extra oomph for the extra cost.

TigerLily

Quote from: SredniVashtar on March 03, 2018, 03:24:52 PM
I've had mine about a year and I'd give it a solid 7/10. The Google Play thing is easily circumvented if you're able to follow a few instructions, and I've yet to find a website that doesn't let me on because I'm using a Fire. I doubt most ordinary users experience many problems doing what they want to do with it. The build quality is about what I'd expect for something so inexpensive, but I'd imagine most people use a case so it isn't an issue.

There are plenty of little niggles ( the email app is poor and doesn't let me install gmail instead) but not irritating enough to be a deal breaker. I was put off buying one initially because I thought I'd be stuck in an Amazon walled garden, but all those apps are easily ignored. I rarely bother with the Amazon apps and I installed the Chrome browser so I don't even use Silk.

I'm sure there are better (certainly faster) products out there, but I think they get the balance between performance and affordability about right. It's very cheap and you get a lot for your money. There may be products twice as good, but also four times the price, and it's a question of whether you want, or need, the extra oomph for the extra cost.

Definitely buy the case and screen protector. I've dropped my Fire down my stairs to a tile floor, throw it in my purse (the black hole) constantly and have dumped various liquid refreshments on it. Keeps on ticking

Jojo

This was extremely helpful although maybe not so much from Dr MDMD.  I just can't thank you all enough, since $50 is a lot for me.  Plus case and cover.

I feel a lot like my Google (RCA) tablet the way MV does about Fire.  I had no idea when I got these things how absolutely proprietary they try to be.  It seems anti-freedom, like if you buy a Toyota only roads paved by Toyota are put forth...

I almost didn't check back in my rush to find something that hasn't been dropped raw a hundred times!  I am so glad to have checked back.  Nothing else good happened today (except breathing).

Dr MDMD, what sign is your silly self?

TigerLily

Quote from: Jojo on March 03, 2018, 07:01:58 PM
This was extremely helpful although maybe not so much from Dr MDMD.  I just can't thank you all enough, since $50 is a lot for me.  Plus case and cover.

I feel a lot like my Google (RCA) tablet the way MV does about Fire.  I had no idea when I got these things how absolutely proprietary they try to be.  It seems anti-freedom, like if you buy a Toyota only roads paved by Toyota are put forth...

I almost didn't check back in my rush to find something that hasn't been dropped raw a hundred times!  I am so glad to have checked back.  Nothing else good happened today (except breathing).

Dr MDMD, what sign is your silly self?

Jojo

Works great!  So happy!  I was worried about nothing.  I banded it to its slant holder and duct taped the holder to the table so hopefully no falls until I can get the protectors! Guess it won't be portable for a while.

I wonder if I should install anti virus and firewall (ha, fire wall...).

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on March 05, 2018, 04:00:10 AM
Works great!  So happy!  I was worried about nothing.  I banded it to its slant holder and duct taped the holder to the table so hopefully no falls until I can get the protectors! Guess it won't be portable for a while.

I wonder if I should install anti virus and firewall (ha, fire wall...).

FireFubâ,,¢️

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 05, 2018, 04:26:39 AM
FireFubâ,,¢️
I talked to Amazon Fire today.  They said their browser has built-in security.  That's more than my RCA Google tablet had. 

But a phishing pop-up got thru, disabled the Amazon browser.  The number to call was answered by real people who were obvious scammers (answering as Apple once, as Amazon another time, asking me to "confirm" info, but not having anything on their screen to confirm it with, then asking me to speak more slowly so they could get it!)

Fire support told me to Force Stop, clear cache and data, and start the browser over.  I should download Chrome so I have a backup browser during times like this.

The scammers had Middle Eastern accents. I should report them.  To someone.

Jojo

I think our household network administrator is following my web screens because he now calls me jojo.
MV can I put his real name here?

Aside from using a different network,  **** is there anything i can do to get more privacy? ****

**** How and what does he access? ****

Hi, household network administrator.  Do you like my screens today, lol?  Stop accessing my activities online and stop saying my private avatar names out loud around other people.  It is harassment, and abuse if your administrator access.  I will report it.

Too bad you don't know how to thicken with corn starch.  You really think Asians just pour in flour AND get snotty about it?!

When you use my pet's name at my door, say it gently.  I have asked you not to bellow through the door.  You can write on the door papers or wait.  Every time you pass by screaming she becomes traumatized, especially if you say her name or her type of animal.  She assumes you want to clobber her.  she is very little.  Don't you remember when you were little and a big angry grown up scared you?Like today when you yelled through my door to sweep the pine needles off the deck where my pet walks, she knew you were angry and talking about her because you said her breed while angry.  It would behoove you to make it up to her by talking nice to her through the door -You have my permission to do that when I am home, unless my SLEEPING sign is up.  She is on an antibiotic herbal.  I TOLD you she wasn't feeling well.  Stop traumatizing her.  She is elderly.  Pick on someone your own size.

I purchased that broom for a reason.  I am, instead of sweeping this week, nursing and monitoring my pet, and you aren't helping.  She receives several hot and cold compresses a day.  Please be decent while she isn't feeling well.  She is very, very small and your highs and lows are ruining her quality of life.

I'm not afraid of your online snooping.  Many women go through reproductive changes and dysfunction during stages of peri-menopause.  It is perfectly healthy for me to try to help myself using online resources.  You don't intimidate me and I am not embarrassed.  At all.

However, using your admin status to harass me or out me to others is illegal.  Stop following my screens and stop saying my avatars out loud.  Avatars are for privacy.  Network administrators are expected to respect adult's privacy in the home.  As for bullying me about my Internet avatars or sites I use, I consider it harassment and will report it.  By the way, if you are already a convicted hacker with sentencing terms, you'd best have your ducks in a row.  Some people convicted of Internet crimes are forbidden for life from using networks.

Jojo

The Kindle Fire doesn't have very strong sound.  However, Google Images is finally acting normal.  I don't know what or how Images normalized, but I'm glad.

Jojo

Google images reverted to their shrunken, wordy Amazon tiles shortly after my last post.

Libre worked great for a couple days, but is now totally lost in who knows wgat screwed up Partition.  If tablets have partitions.

Google Hangouts website stopped working on this, and even though Chime is an Amazon product, it doesn't want to install here.  And, ironically, the Amazon tablet wants me to log onto Googke Play fir Chime.  Google Play refuses to recognize my device.

I saved $30 by purchasing a Fire instead of an RCA.  Never again!

AZZERAE

I have this device as well. A couple months back Spotify stopped working on it, out the blue (I couldn't stream any of my songs or anything). So I deleted the app.

Did anyone else have this issue? And if so, how did you go about fixing it?

Jojo

Sound just stops every few minutes whether i get Coast on KIRO, KEX, TuneIN, other stations, etc...

AZZERAE

The few times audio has quit altogether, a reboot usually helps.

MV/Liberace!

Such a rubbish tablet.  I've had a few more of them cross my bench since I last vented about them here, and it's further solidified my opinion.  You'd be far better off with this for just $65.

Jojo

Quote from: Liberace! on March 03, 2019, 04:28:51 AM
Such a rubbish tablet.  I've had a few more of them cross my bench since I last vented about them here, and it's further solidified my opinion.  You'd be far better off with this for just $65.
Thanks.  Amazon had never let me down before.  Samsung has some great products.  Their Jitterbug cell phone battery lasts FOREVER on standby.  Same with their disposible phones.  Although the chargers have been a little different. 

SredniVashtar

By the way, if anyone has problems getting Google Play on the Fire there is an easy fix for it:

https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 30, 2019, 03:02:09 PM
By the way, if anyone has problems getting Google Play on the Fire there is an easy fix for it:

https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988
I could get there but whenever I do, it says I don't have a device.  Absurd.  I googled what to do but nothing works, from multiple devices.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 14 on May 30, 2019, 05:10:21 PM
I could get there but whenever I do, it says I don't have a device.  Absurd.  I googled what to do but nothing works, from multiple devices.

Follow the instructions. You need to install four files. I've done it, it works.

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 30, 2019, 05:35:19 PM
Follow the instructions. You need to install four files. I've done it, it works.
I can get to the Google Play website, no problem.  It just won't recognize the device I'm on.  It had 2 of my old devices listed, so I deleted them.  But I can't seem to add this new device.  What a stupid way to do business.  The instructions didn't say anything about installing anything.  They were about changing settings and information using my keyboard. 

SredniVashtar

:-*
Quote from: 14 on May 30, 2019, 09:18:32 PM
I can get to the Google Play website, no problem.  It just won't recognize the device I'm on.  It had 2 of my old devices listed, so I deleted them.  But I can't seem to add this new device.  What a stupid way to do business.  The instructions didn't say anything about installing anything.  They were about changing settings and information using my keyboard.

What is wrong with you? I posted a link that gives step-by-step instructions. You need to download and install four files on your device or devices before Play will recognise them. Once you do that you can use it all you want. Is there something deficient in your brain that you can't follow simple advice?

AZZERAE

I tried it, but once I got to the part where it says "tap on the files" to install them in a particular order, there was no option to do so.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: AZZERAE on May 31, 2019, 02:52:27 AM
I tried it, but once I got to the part where it says "tap on the files" to install them in a particular order, there was no option to do so.

You have to install each file manually. Tap the first file, install. Tap the second etc. You should get the install option once you've tapped on a file.