• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

cheep hard drives

Started by wr250, March 02, 2017, 07:42:19 AM

wr250

dont buy the WL series of hard drives from goharddrive (has website, amazon,newegg stores). i bought 3, 1 has failed (2 weeks out of warranty). not the reason for this post though.

i had bought 3 (allegedly) new of these drives in a zfs pool. 1 showed signs of failing (no. of bad sectors creeping up etc) , so i ordered a HGST drive from elsewhere.

i pulled the serial number from the SMART data , and went looking for the drive (nas4free listed it as AHCI drive #5). no matching serial number on any drive. went into bios and same deal. guessed at which one on the board ,for possible the 1st time my guess was right. replaced drive with the HGST , all is good right? no.

while looking for the serial number, i pulled off a sticker labeled " ATTENTION: electrostatic sensitive devices" thinking maybe it was covering it. no , it was covering this:

after googling mediamax, i found out they are a refurbisher of western digital drives. they do not sell new drives. so i was told these were new drives, and in fact they are refurbs. if goharddrive would of been upfront with this info, then that would of been ok.

Ciardelo

That looks like an out-and-out fraud.

starrmtn001

Quote from: wr250 on March 02, 2017, 07:42:19 AM
dont buy the WL series of hard drives from goharddrive (has website, amazon,newegg stores). i bought 3, 1 has failed (2 weeks out of warranty). not the reason for this post though.

i had bought 3 (allegedly) new of these drives in a zfs pool. 1 showed signs of failing (no. of bad sectors creeping up etc) , so i ordered a HGST drive from elsewhere.

i pulled the serial number from the SMART data , and went looking for the drive (nas4free listed it as AHCI drive #5). no matching serial number on any drive. went into bios and same deal. guessed at which one on the board ,for possible the 1st time my guess was right. replaced drive with the HGST , all is good right? no.

while looking for the serial number, i pulled off a sticker labeled " ATTENTION: electrostatic sensitive devices" thinking maybe it was covering it. no , it was covering this:

after googling mediamax, i found out they are a refurbisher of western digital drives. they do not sell new drives. so i was told these were new drives, and in fact they are refurbs. if goharddrive would of been upfront with this info, then that would of been ok.

Hmmm.  Must not be American Made.