• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rick Moranis/

Started by The Rainbow Villain, April 25, 2016, 02:52:13 PM

Yorkshire pud

You know all these people in less thsn 24hours. Jackstar is that you?

The Alcoholic

Everyone knows the only acceptable answer is Honey I blew up the kid!

But for serious the real correct answer is Spaceballs.

albrecht

"My Blue Heaven" with Steve Martin

Strange Brew - 'nuff said   

the_Stranger

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 26, 2016, 07:23:25 PM
The only film that came to mind when I read the original post.
Just picked up this jewel on blu-ray and it looks great and still stands up.

Quote from: the_Stranger on April 26, 2016, 09:11:53 PM
The only film that came to mind when I read the original post.
Just picked up this jewel on blu-ray and it looks great and still stands up.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 26, 2016, 07:23:25 PM

Must concur...and anyone who thinks different is a hoser!  :P

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 26, 2016, 11:54:01 PM
I think no. It is often easy to go to the early stuff or the recent stuff (look I recognize early or appreciate late) but the beat acting is in the middle. To wit: Tom Hanks "The 'Burbs."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on April 27, 2016, 12:33:03 AM
I think no. It is often easy to go to the early stuff or the recent stuff (look I recognize early or appreciate late) but the beat acting is in the middle. To wit: Tom Hanks "The 'Burbs."

Hoser!  :P

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 27, 2016, 12:34:22 AM
Hoser!  :P
My brew must be strange cause I posted 2x by accident. Sorry. I stand by my statement though.

I can't argue with any of those choices, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Little Shopmof Horrors.  He was outstanding in that!

Strange Brew is an underrated movie that definitely deserves more respect!  You can't go wrong with Max von Sydow as the villain, and getting him to take such a prominent role in a low budget movie like that was quite an accomplishment!

I'm also a long time fan of SCTV, and the seasons he was on are some of my favorites.  Here's a short bit that anyone who remembers David Brinkley is sure to enjoy!

http://youtu.be/3mN7NxDpm7Y

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on April 27, 2016, 01:21:11 AM
I can't argue with any of those choices, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Little Shopmof Horrors.  He was outstanding in that!

Strange Brew is an underrated movie that definitely deserves more respect!  You can't go wrong with Max von Sydow as the villain, and getting him to take such a prominent role in a low budget movie like that was quite an accomplishment!

I'm also a long time fan of SCTV, and the seasons he was on are some of my favorites.  Here's a short bit that anyone who remembers David Brinkley is sure to enjoy!

Yes! That's such an underrated movie. Great performances all around!  ;D

That Brinkley rant is hilarious!

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 26, 2016, 11:54:01 PM
Look, you hoser, I don't know if it is "common knowledge" or not.  But that segment was really only done as a "filler" and as a bit of an attack on the CBC for wanting another two minutes of "uniquely Canadian content."  It was their way of saying FU, while delivering what was demanded...

I remember hearing an interview with Moranis where he mentioned this and I found a link...  From
http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2005/12/28/WildNewMediaWorld/

"When the SCTV sketch comedy show moved to the CBC, the network said it needed to fill in the half-hour with another two minutes of programming, which would also have to feature distinctly Canadian material. Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas indignantly rose to the challenge by creating The Great White North. Bob and Doug McKenzie, a pair of tuque and parka-clad, beer-drinking hosers, sat in front of a map of Canada and talked about nothing in particular.

... However, the characters weren't well-liked among the SCTV cast, some of whom thought they supported the American stereotype of Canadians as well-insulated hicks. Try to create something distinctly Canadian, and you rarely satisfy everybody.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on April 27, 2016, 01:39:50 AM
I don't know if it is "common knowledge" or not.  But that segment was really only done as a "filler" and as a bit of an attack on the CBC for wanting another two minutes of "uniquely Canadian content."  It was their way of saying FU, while delivering what was demanded...

I remember hearing an interview with Moranis where he mentioned this and I found a link...

I think I saw that before. I also highly recommend Dave Thomas' book SCTV: Behind The Scenes if you can find it.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 27, 2016, 01:42:29 AM
I think I saw that before. I also highly recommend Dave Thomas' book SCTV: Behind The Scenes if you can find it.
Funny... Tthe interview could have been with DT as well... I really have a poor memory.

I will have to look for the book- sounds like it could be an interesting read.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on April 27, 2016, 01:45:35 AM
Funny... Tthe interview could have been with DT as well... I really have a poor memory.

I will have to look for the book- sounds like it could be an interesting read.

mos def!

Quote from: WOTR on April 27, 2016, 01:39:50 AM
Look, you hoser, I don't know if it is "common knowledge" or not.  But that segment was really only done as a "filler" and as a bit of an attack on the CBC for wanting another two minutes of "uniquely Canadian content."  It was their way of saying FU, while delivering what was demanded...

I remember hearing an interview with Moranis where he mentioned this and I found a link...  From

"When the SCTV sketch comedy show moved to the CBC, the network said it needed to fill in the half-hour with another two minutes of programming, which would also have to feature distinctly Canadian material. Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas indignantly rose to the challenge by creating The Great White North. Bob and Doug McKenzie, a pair of tuque and parka-clad, beer-drinking hosers, sat in front of a map of Canada and talked about nothing in particular.

... However, the characters weren't well-liked among the SCTV cast, some of whom thought they supported the American stereotype of Canadians as well-insulated hicks. Try to create something distinctly Canadian, and you rarely satisfy everybody.

And it originally was called, "Kanadian Korner."

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 27, 2016, 01:42:29 AM

That's a must read for any serious SCTV fan!  I have a copy that Juul Haalmeyer gave me a couple of years ago when my girlfriend and I visited his amazing costume shop in Toronto and took him to lunch. He's one of the nicest, most gracious people you'll ever meet, and he loves meeting old fans. I crossed a big item off my bucket list by doing a few of the signature JHD dance moves with him. He also let me wear Johnny La Rue's monogrammed jacket and gave my gf one of the blouses Andrea Martin wore as Edna Boil.

Here's the link to his shop's FB page, which has some pretty wild pictures of him and some of his vast collection of vintage clothes - https://www.facebook.com/JuulHaalmeyerDesigns   

Aussie Dave

Spaceballs and Little Shop of Horrors.