• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Swishypants

I'm building an Academy Spitfire Mk. XIVe in 1:48. Anyone aware of obscure livery's for it? So-far only British and Thailand come to mind. South Africa had some but they switched out the Griffin 65 engine for Merlin 70's and the cowlings are totally different. The Kiwi version didn't have the clipped wings.

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 05:15:54 PM
There are already 800,000 South Africans in Texas you know. And the CIA Armory north of San Antone is filled with "Rhodesians." :)
Interesting. Good to know and I welcome them. Bring all in who want to move out of the African hell-holes, of that stock.. (Or bring their families if they wish to stay and fight for mining and etc interests.) Didn't know about the depot near Boerne. Interesting stuff, thanks.

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 05:20:11 PM
I'm building an Academy Spitfire Mk. XIVe in 1:48. Anyone aware of obscure livery's for it? So-far only British and Thailand come to mind. South Africa had some but they switched out the Griffin 65 engine for Merlin 70's and the cowlings are totally different. The Kiwi version didn't have the clipped wings.

Certainly not a XIVe but here is a Spit trainer in Irish garb

Here is a Belgian Spitfire

Theadora

Quote from: albrecht on December 28, 2017, 06:32:45 PM
Interesting. Good to know and I welcome them. Bring all in who want to move out of the African hell-holes, of that stock.. (Or bring their families if they wish to stay and fight for mining and etc interests.) Didn't know about the depot near Boerne. Interesting stuff, thanks.

That's most magnanimous of you, Albrecht.  I had no inkling that you have the authority to make such decree.  I'm sure they'll do for US what they've done for the Hell holes from which they hail.

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 06:42:31 PM
Certainly not a XIVe but here is a Spit trainer in Irish garb

Here is a Belgian Spitfire

Thank man! I like the Irish bird but that's got a 4 blade prop. Pretty sure that's a IX trainer.  I do like how stupid the trainer looks though. That would really piss people off if I made it that way.  I wonder if I can get an aftermarket conversion?

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on December 28, 2017, 06:32:45 PM

We kill all the shit the Military can't seem to manage.  The Military and Feds hate our guts, but they have to suck our dicks anyway and it's funny, and we piss in their faces, and we laugh. :) Immunity!!! Fed bitches! This ain't Lethal Weapon 2! In real life we win!

Swishypants

Oh Jackstar!!!  ;D

https://youtu.be/W4VpE-0zitU

Oooooh! You know PIMP JET too!? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HIT 'EM! BOOM!

Uncle Duke

The prettiest clipped wing Mk XIVs were those sent to the CBI by the RAF very late in the war.  Loved the CBI scheme, and some of the Spits there flew with white recognition stripes on the wings and horizontal stabilizers. Some of those a/c went to India and Burma when the Brits left after Partition.

The best looking clipped wing Spits were the Mk IXs flown by the Israelis.  For some reason, they made the beautiful, graceful lines of the Spitfire look brutish.

Swishypants

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 28, 2017, 08:09:49 PM
The prettiest clipped wing Mk XIVs were those sent to the CBI by the RAF very late in the war.  Loved the CBI scheme, and some of the Spits there flew with white recognition stripes on the wings and horizontal stabilizers. Some of those a/c went to India and Burma when the Brits left after Partition.

The best looking clipped wing Spits were the Mk IXs flown by the Israelis.  For some reason, they made the beautiful, graceful lines of the Spitfire look brutish.

Thanks for the leads. I will look them up! The Griffin powered Spits were stretched to the absolute maximum of the aircraft design. Angry Bees! Punchy as hell!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 08:11:52 PM
Thanks for the leads. I will look them up! The Griffin powered Spits were stretched to the absolute maximum of the aircraft design. Angry Bees! Punchy as hell!

I know I'll be going to hell, but because it is the Mk XIV I'll give you a pass. I've taken the time to look on your behalf and apparently the nose on the kit you have is too deep for true scale profile..BUT, some don't care..There's a resin aftermarket kit that rectifies the shape, but apparently that isn't a perfect fit and involves a lot of work.

To that end..I found the following:

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/ww2-supermarine/71789/view/supermarine_spitfire_f_mk_xiv/...This can be vectored to any scale you like.

Build log using the resin nose kit.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/features/spitfirexive48jb_1.htm

Decal sheets..

https://www.1001modelkits.com/spitfire-model-kit/88050-xtradecal-x48130-supermarine-spitfire-mk-xiv-mk-xviii-7-high-back-rb159-dw-d-610-sqn-raf-rauxaf-culmhead-nh703-emily-b-ae-4.html

The quite significant differences between the Griffin and Merlin noses..and subsequent fuz length/tail enlargement. Note too the rudder size difference between the FR and the std Mk XIV.

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/pictures_spitfire_side.html

India, Australia and Belgium are possible insignia choices? Or make it into a PR XIX if you're feeling ambitious. But you'd need the conventional cockpit canopy to do it.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1998/08/stuff_eng_kit_spit19.htm

You're welcome.

Swishypants

The DACO resin kit is stupid expensive for what it is. And they only have one left. Not going there. It's a cheap kit. I'm not going to spend more for shitty resin than the kit just based on principle alone. I wish there was an SA cowling and prop kit for it but oh well. Maybe I'll just paint this bitch Purple and Puce, and put a KKK member in the pilot seat. :)  3-D Printers; and resin kit guys think they can charge 40 bucks? Uh, NO! No you can't!

Rebel Battle Flags on the wings with perfect weathering and panel lines. Mad Niggerish!

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 09:17:56 PM
The DACO resin kit is stupid expensive for what it is. And they only have one left. Not going there. It's a cheap kit. I'm not going to spend more for shitty resin than the kit just based on principle alone. I wish there was an SA cowling and prop kit for it but oh well. Maybe I'll just paint this bitch Purple and Puce, and put a KKK member in the pilot seat. :)  3-D Printers; and resin kit guys think they can charge 40 bucks? Uh, NO! No you can't!

Rebel Battle Flags on the wings with perfect weathering and panel lines. Mad Niggerish!

Hot Pink I should think

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 09:45:05 PM
Hot Pink I should think

Yeah. Yeah, I can do that. But Waffen SS Death Heads on it.  Or maybe Smurfs and shit! I'll paint "Yorkshire Pud" on the side of the nose!

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 09:47:11 PM
Yeah. Yeah, I can do that. But Waffen SS Death Heads on it.  Or maybe Smurfs and shit!

Well you don't have to go that far.   Check out these crimes against nature

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 09:55:43 PM
They're every where

Every time I think I have a DAMN good idea! There they already were! I'm going to figure out how to do the SA conversion. Fuck it!

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 09:55:43 PM
They're every where
because of the NAZI,not really but let's use that term because it keeps the real wealth of "WWII"  hidden and gold, art, etc, hidden via you know post-Jap,etc? Don't want to give away progress. (I don't have any except conjecture and theory.) But theJaps were stealing MORE than those evil Germans, and had YEARS difference.

Quote from: Swishypants on December 28, 2017, 09:56:50 PM
Every time I think I have a DAMN good idea! There they already were! I'm going to figure out how to do the SA conversion. Fuck it!

Don't forget to post a Pix when she's all done...........

It's crazy how expensive some of these model kits are.  $128 smackers for a balsa wood PBY?

https://www.guillow.com/pby-5acatalina.aspx

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 10:04:11 PM
It's crazy how expensive some of these model kits are.  $128 smackers for a balsa wood PBY?

https://www.guillow.com/pby-5acatalina.aspx

A buddy of mine sent me a 1:48 plastic Catalina for Christmas. It's in the build que. I'll post some pics of the Spit on top of an old Hustler Magazine when I'm done. Thanks man!

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on December 28, 2017, 10:01:56 PM
because of the NAZI,not really but let's use that term because it keeps the real wealth of "WWII"  hidden and gold, art, etc, hidden via you know post-Jap,etc? Don't want to give away progress. (I don't have any except conjecture and theory.) But theJaps were stealing MORE than those evil Germans, and had YEARS difference.

I need to get a Jap Zero; do it up in a Bukkake livery.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 09:45:05 PM
Hot Pink I should think

Pink PR Spitfires were used operational by the RAF, primarily for dusk/dawn missions, but most images apparently tend to show them too pink. The way it was explained to me, the color film and processing methods of the day didn't accurately reproduce the color.  In person the a/c tended to be more pinkish white, and got closer to white as the paint faded.  The PR Spits were not as pink as the Gulf War RAF jets, for example.

Swishypants

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 28, 2017, 10:22:22 PM
Pink PR Spitfires were used operational by the RAF, primarily for dusk/dawn missions, but most images apparently tend to show them too pink. The way it was explained to me, the color film and processing methods of the day didn't accurately reproduce the color.  In person the a/c tended to be more pinkish white, and got closer to white as the paint faded.  The PR Spits were not as pink as the Gulf War RAF jets, for example.

But we really know it's because Dey Gay! Spitfire is an oral herpes reference from British Bath Houses.

Swishypants

What is really fucking me up is that I got this Passche Air Gun and compressor and I don't know how to use it. I guess I should read the manual. Modeling is a lot more complex than it was back in the 80's!

When you get thru the aircraft build queue, we'll want a USN PT Boat in a dazzle scheme

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 28, 2017, 10:40:05 PM
When you get thru the aircraft build queue, we'll want a USN PT Boat in a dazzle scheme

Will add some Razzle to that! Maybe in Blornge